Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

eTDI swap in 2.5 months
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Surfcamper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2014 7:58 pm    Post subject: eTDI swap in 2.5 months Reply with quote

Hello all. So my wife and I have a 9 week road trip planned starting Nov 22. I've become very tired of the 2.1 engine in our 87 2WD Westy, and thinking about pulling the trigger on doing a eTDI swap before our trip. I'd like to compile a list of most of the parts needed and start ordering.

I know the time frame is very short. A little background on me. I'm a professional mechanic with 10 years experience, 5 years in professional racing. I can fabricate, weld, wire, etc. However I don't pretend to know everything and I'm here looking for guidance. I've read a decent amount about the swaps, but there's always more to read.

I'd like to share my experiences in this tread as I try to tackle this project in my free time. I have a 03 Golf ALH TDI parts car I've been using to repair another Golf TDI. I have all the engine/wiring parts still at my disposal.

I'm planning on doing the swap at 50*. Is there a common consensus on which bell housing adapter is best? Or maybe I should ask which company has the fastest turn around time?

I've been thinking about having Fast Forward do the harness to save me time as I need to address some rust spots and reinstall the interior too before we leave on our trip.

Lastly...... (for now) I'm looking to replace the horrible looking wheels that came with the van when we purchased it. I'd like to drop the RPM's at highway speed with the TDI engine, what's your recommendations for a wheel/tire size?

I hope this topic hasn't been beaten to death yet, if not I'm all ears. If so, sit back and enjoy the pics!

Thanks,
Mike
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Classifieds Feedback
?Waldo?
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2014 8:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If going through the (significant) hassle of an ALH @ 50° I'd at least use the diesel vanagon bell-housing.
Howesight
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2014 9:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have been lurking and thinking for years about a TDi swap, but went with the SVX instead. TDi remains a future possibility. This is why I have in hand a bit of TDi swap knowledge, albeit book learnin' only.

The easier approach, by far, is to use the AHU or 1Z engine. The difficulties with the ALH install at 50 degrees, (a great engine, by the way) are:

1. Oil pan: you need to fabricate the pan or make an adaptor to use the Vanagon diesel oil pan;

2. Engine mounts: You will have to do some fabricating;

3. Turbo drain: The tilt at 50 degrees requires a different approach to get proper return oil drainage;

4. Exhaust manifold: Using a non-ALH exhaust manifold can permit a better oil drain path by placing the turbo higher.

RSXR here on the Samba and Andy Bees have both done the ALH install. See here:

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=898858

http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=276798
?Waldo?
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2014 9:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Narendra did a 50° ALH here:
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=559568&start=0

Hans_j did one at 15°.
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=509422&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0

I did an mTDI ALH automatic @ 15°.
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=560178

Mine has been incredibly reliable and runs flawlessly. I have been using mine as my primary vehicle for the last couple months and the more I use it the more I like it.

I totally agree with Howesight's comments regarding how the AHU/1Z/AFN is a much easier install. It will give the same performance, reliability and power (if running a similar boost pressure with a vnt retrofit) and bolts in with a lot less fabrication. I would have gone with an AHU instead of the ALH but I got a good deal on the whole drivetrain including the rebuilt auto with the 3.73 r+P.
Surfcamper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2014 5:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andrew, what is the reason you would use a diesel vanagon bell housing over an adapter from someone like Kennedy or FAS?

I understand the ease of the AHU/1Z/AFN for install. However, I have this 03 Golf with the ALH engine here with all the wiring, ECU, pedal, etc. I originally didn't buy this parts car for the Vanagon, however now I'm going to.

Is the only negative effect of the 15* install the need to raise there rear engine hatch? I haven't set in stone which angle I desire, really it comes down to which I can pull off faster. Maybe that's the 15*?

Thanks to both of you for the links! I've read some, some are new. Thanks again.

Anyone have suggestions on a good vender for Ring and Pinions and gears?

I hope today I can finish up a Jetta TDI project that's hogging my driveway space so I can get the parts car in that spot and pull the engine and get it on a engine stand. We'll see.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Classifieds Feedback
?Waldo?
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2014 7:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have heard of a few people having issues with fasteners pulling out with adapter plates combined with the high torque of the TDI engines. That said, plenty of people have not had issues. I'm using an adapter plate with my automatic as I don't have any choice.

The only real downside to 15 degrees is a small amount less ground clearance and interference with the engine lid. The 50 degree install still interferes wit the engine lid, though.
Surfcamper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2014 8:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What a day! I'm exhausted. Installed a cylinder head on a Jetta TDI and got it running, allowing me to move it and get the parts car in place. Started pulling the engine around 6, finished at 8:30 just in time to get dinner while it was still hot.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

[img]

Yes I need to clean up the garage. Never have enough space! Tomorrow I hope to get the engine on the stand and start cleaning and looking it over.

Thanks for the info Andrew! I checked out Eurospec for the first time today. Looks like they have a nice basic kit using what I guess is the diesel bell housing? I might purchase this basic kit to expedite my install. I sent an email to see what the turn around time is.

Mike
hans j
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2014 8:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's what I have. Bellhousing, clutch and starter. I figured I could make my own mounts and lid for $1500 extra...
Zeitgeist 13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2014 9:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since it's just a VW of Mexico bellhousing, does anyone know of another source for these here in the US? From memory, I seem to recall that Eurospec won't just sell the bellhousing and flywheel alone. These H2O-cooled Bay buses were around 25 years ago when I was touring the country, so I assume their wrecking yards are full of the things by now.

'89 Bluestar ALH w/12mm Waldo pump, PP764 and GT2052
'01 Weekender --> full camper
y u rune klassik?
Skyline
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2014 7:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just so you know, Kennedy adapters are 6-8 weeks lead time right now. You should call them if you are thinking about it.
MarkWard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2014 11:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am running an ALH at 50 degrees using the original diesel bellhousing. Custom engine brackets, Saab mounts on the original diesel carrier bars. The r/s carrier bar was cut, sleeved, and rotated outboard to accommodate the AC compressor. I have a lot of photos uploaded here.

My only disappointment is the custom oil pan I fabricated. It looks home built and it has a very small leak past one of the welds. I am inclined to buy a pan from FAS to replace mine when I get around to it. Good luck and keep posting.

My next project will be a Syncro TDI and I may use an adapter plate to solve the problem of the starter fuel tank interference you get with a diesel bellhousing.
hans j
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2014 12:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rsxsr wrote:
My only disappointment is the custom oil pan I fabricated. It looks home built and it has a very small leak past one of the welds. I am inclined to buy a pan from FAS to replace mine when I get around to it. Good luck and keep posting.

Mark what about using a steel VW oil pan? Easier to weld at least. that's what I plan on doing with my next conversion. I have seen your aluminum pan and it's definitely a lot of work! I've practiced TIG welding on aold aluminum pans and the metallurgy isn't as nice as straight alumium. If I were closer I'd offer to try and seal it up. Or just smear some Right Stuff gasket maker on the leak, it works wonders on oil pan leaks...
MarkWard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2014 1:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

VW came out with a two piece pan for the ALH type block. It is cast aluminum with a replaceable steel bottom half. That might be a better candidate for the DIY welder. I did smear some sealer into the porous section, but there is always heat, vibration and gravity. While a little pricey, the FAS pan with the turbo return is a nice part from the pictures. I have seen some better jobs of grafting the two pans together, but you really only get on shot at it. Or if we could find these,

That would be awesome, but probably would cost what FAS gets for a pan.
Surfcamper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2014 8:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Got a late start today. Had a lot of cleaning to do in the garage before I could move around the engine stand. I had to remove a old ALH block off the stand that had blown two fist size holes through both sides. Off to the scrap/parts fund pile.

The "new" engine is a dirty one. I think I'll power wash it later this week. The turbo feels good, and surprising the intake is not clogged up. Not sure how far I'll get into this engine.

I won't have a chance to work on it until Thursday, but hope to start order some parts. HansJ, did you get your bell housing "kit" from Eurospec? Has anyone done business with them? They returned my email saying they can ship the "basic kit" within 1-2 days from payment. Sounds great!

I'm leaning toward maybe doing the swap at 15* now. I figure the less hurdles to jump, the quicker I can get this running and tested. I'd love to fab up a custom steel pan, but time is my biggest nemesis.

Also, if anyone has any leads on some CLK wheels let me know please!

Mike
hans j
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2014 8:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes I got the basic kit from them. I also got some ALH 1st oversize pistons from them since my block needed work. While everything was out I balanced all rotating parts and I feel that made a big difference.

The shop I work for buys from them fairly regularly, so it was easy to order and it shipped fast.

Remember when you install the new input shaft, don't thread it on all the way. The shaft needs to remain slightly loose. Or just include it all if you send the trans out for rebuild/regear. And I highly recommend having the oil cooling ports installed, even if you don't decide to install a pump right away.

I would also recommend a trans temp gauge. I don't care for the current one I have, but am going to upgrade to this one soon: http://www.speedhut.com/gauge/GR-TRNS-02/1/Trans-Temp-Gauge-60-260F-%28w--warning%29. The full sweep gauge is much better than the VDO I currently have. It is also customizable and has a programmable warning!
tclark
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2014 7:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You might consider the ha project/brickworks input shaft (aa trans axle stock a few) then you can use a real tdi clutch..
these are all the option i know of for an ahu i think it similar for the alh maybe rsxsr could confirm
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6684394#6684394
I had issues with the clutch skipping under load going up steep hills i have mild malone stage ii tune
http://www.brickwerks.co.uk/index.php/t3-parts/t3-...3-tdi.html
MarkWard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2014 8:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just returned from a road trip to Colorado and back. I was following a few stages of the USA Pro Cycling race. I climbed to 10K feet at least 4 times and was having so much fun, took a side trip up Pikes Peak to 14K. I am geared very tall and have tall 16 inch tires. I am near 40,000 miles on the stock diesel clutch. I am still satisfied with it. I am running a stock tune with a 10mm pump and slightly larger nozzles.

From all I have read, the clutch should not be able to take this, but for some reason it does. I have probably jinxed it. Sad
hans j
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2014 8:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the Eurospec kit comes with a VR6 pressure plate and friction disc. I don't remember the exact size but I did measure it before I installed it.
Surfcamper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2014 8:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
From all I have read, the clutch should not be able to take this, but for some reason it does. I have probably jinxed it.

I'm sure you've been in the car world long enough to know better! Definitely jinxed yourself!

I'd think a company selling a conversion kit would supply the correct clutch for the application. One would hope so....

No updates for today.
Surfcamper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2014 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Minor update.

I power washed engine. Tomorrow I'll clean up and start resealing it.
I removed the engine wiring harness, ECU and gas pedal from the parts car.
Also bought a new turbo center section for a bad turbo I had laying around. I'd feel more comfortable running a rebuilt turbo that using the one from the parts car.

I'm having problems with pics, I'll upload them once I get it sorted.

That's it for now.
Mike
87 Westfalia TDI ALH powered
90 911 C2
00 F250 7.3 Diesel
04 Golf TDI
2007 997 Carrera S
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 1 of 9

Jump to: