Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

My 1952 Zwitter
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - Split-Window/1938-53 VWs Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Joshua B
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2018 12:04 pm    Post subject: Re: My 1952 Zwitter Reply with quote

So I would like to update this thread. I purchased this car in 12/2016. I have been doing some steady work to it ever since.

First off I purchased the car with only seeing the pictures online. After receiving it, it was pretty clear the car was pretty low mileage and didn't see much time on the east coast winter roads. It did have some rust and dents but less than expected. Everything looks to me as it may have been a Hoffman car, but I haven't sent off for the BC.

I separated the body from the pan and disassembled the drive train. The pan was in great shape, with only two patches that I needed to weld. My biggest issue was the seized choke cable. After a long time of dealing with it, I finally got it out and sorted. I discussed this in the choke cable thread in the oval section. I then blasted all the small parts associated with the pan and sent it to KCW to get blasted and painted. I had them install some new king and link pins in the spindles and fix a broken torsion spring in the front end as well.

Before during, and after the pan was getting dealt with I was working on the body. This car was extremely clean. I was planning on a full restore. but while I was checking out the body it was pretty clear how nice it is. So I got some citra strip and started at it. I removed the top red primer coat and a layer of white paint. Below was all the original paint in pretty great shape. So, with how nice the original paint is I felt I should preserve it.

The rust in the rear cross members got replaced with new sections. I also welded a few areas behind the rear body mounts. I re welded the rear apron inner brace and quarters where they were cracked and braced. The passenger door was a little rusty down low and received a patch, I also patched the passenger side hood corner on the exterior, and replaced the lower hood below the hood handle. The access hole in the rear parcel tray got welded up as well along with a few other holes.

The driver front fender is original to the car, so I left it and just patched the turn signal hole that was added up top. I found a nice oval era passenger fender for the right side here on the samba. I straightened up the bent passenger side inner front quarter. The left rear is a heart fender that needed a bit of work and welding, while the right rear was an NOS fender I had at the house. For painting I didn't go all out on the color match, I just used that rattle can etching primer and come clear over it. The original paint is pretty dull with no shine left.

After this I rewired everything, and added all of the original Zwitter parts that were missing. The interior is pretty ragged out and just keeps getting worse every time I sit in it. Horse hair everywhere. Laughing I just ordered a new interior and hope to have time to install it early this summer.

I have the original brakes and engine setting aside. I installed a stoker 36hp that I built a while back. It is a 1558cc. I also put on a set of 356a brakes I restored a while back. Still getting it all dialed in to make it a nice reliable driver. I have 4 of the original wheels. Unfortunately there was some issues with the rivets clearancing the brakes. I slightly clearanced the rivet dome tops, this helped, but 2 of the rims turned out to be extremely bent. So I installed and painted 4 later welded wheels. I will keep these riveted wheels to be straightened and restored for later use.

So I had a bunch of accessories that I accumulated for the restoration. I have been itching to install them, so recently I started adding the trinkets.

Last edited by Joshua B on Tue Mar 20, 2018 12:27 pm; edited 1 time in total
Joshua B
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2018 12:05 pm    Post subject: Re: My 1952 Zwitter Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Joshua B
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2018 12:12 pm    Post subject: Re: My 1952 Zwitter Reply with quote

Joshua B
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2018 12:14 pm    Post subject: Re: My 1952 Zwitter Reply with quote

Basketcase
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2018 1:08 pm    Post subject: Re: My 1952 Zwitter Reply with quote

great job....looks great!
56samba
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2018 11:05 am    Post subject: Re: My 1952 Zwitter Reply with quote

Must be one of my favorite Zwitters on this planet. It was a great decision to keep the original paint!
WOW and this engine is also not bad Cool Laughing
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
kafer53
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2018 12:54 pm    Post subject: Re: My 1952 Zwitter Reply with quote

Awesome looking car! Wicked job !
Paul
empiracer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2018 9:31 am    Post subject: Re: My 1952 Zwitter Reply with quote

Well done Joshua!
Joshua B
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2018 3:31 pm    Post subject: Re: My 1952 Zwitter Reply with quote

Thanks for the comments! I just ordered me an interior this week. Can't wait to install it. This original interior is so fragile it falls apart when you touch it, and there is horse hair EVERYWHERE! Laughing I am also considering color matching the two fenders a bit closer and possibly color matching the NOS one.
obus Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2018 5:27 am    Post subject: Re: My 1952 Zwitter Reply with quote

Wow! Looks great. Love that you kept the color.
1960 Paprika Red Karmann Ghia Convertible aka Schatze L452 built 5/20/60
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...highlight=
66 21 window bus built 8/31/65 https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=777273
View user's profile Send private message Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Jacks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2018 10:03 am    Post subject: Re: My 1952 Zwitter Reply with quote

Sometimes, the hardest thing is to know when to stop. Very Happy
lo-lo55
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2018 12:55 am    Post subject: Re: My 1952 Zwitter Reply with quote

Damn that came out cool, perfect!
klubbs
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2018 7:25 am    Post subject: Re: My 1952 Zwitter Reply with quote

Good job!

Cool car and engine
Two Glove Boxes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2018 8:08 pm    Post subject: Re: My 1952 Zwitter Reply with quote

Sick! That engine looks tough! Good job.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Joshua B
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2018 10:15 am    Post subject: Re: My 1952 Zwitter Reply with quote

Finally got my new interior installed and finished up. The car is so much more quite now.
Basketcase
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2018 10:33 am    Post subject: Re: My 1952 Zwitter Reply with quote

beautiful job!
advCo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2018 1:34 pm    Post subject: Re: My 1952 Zwitter Reply with quote

Gorgeous!

I really like the fabric on the seats.
A bunch of vintage Japanese motorcycles
"Much ingenuity with a little money is vastly more profitable and amusing than much money without ingenuity." -A. Bennett
obieoberstar
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2018 7:34 pm    Post subject: Re: My 1952 Zwitter Reply with quote

Is that a speaker in the rear luggage area?

That interior turned out fantastic.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
pastellgreen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2018 11:58 pm    Post subject: Re: My 1952 Zwitter Reply with quote

What a wonderful car and a good job you did on it! Great decision on using L 16 for the wheels instead of fantasy two tone colour scheme.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
kafer52
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2020 7:01 pm    Post subject: Re: My 1952 Zwitter Reply with quote

Hi Josh, I just saw that your engine serial number 1-0503653 is 1 greater than my original engine (652). Unfortunately, I don't have the original. I suppose your Zwitter was also built on Nov 22, 1952. Hey brother! Smile

Mark
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Split-Window/1938-53 VWs All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: