Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

where should I start with my 1776 44idf setup?
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
NAES
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2014 1:57 pm    Post subject: where should I start with my 1776 44idf setup? Reply with quote

First off I apologize for starting another thread and not having all the needed information. I will be digging into the carbs tomorrow and want a better idea of where I should start when it comes to tuning these things. Right now Im fighting them but I wont give up.

1960 bus
straight axle. 3.88 r&p
195/55ģ15 tires
I didnt build the engine so here goes
stock heads/valves
"Mild cam" which is unknown
A1 exhaust
Dual Weber 44idfs
roller cam pump style
unknown internals until tomorrow
bosch 009
pertronix

Carbs were set up by a local guy but Im not satisfied and neither is he. No power past the idle circuit. Popping, etc. A full tear down and inspection with my own 2 eyeballs will be the only way im sure what I have.

Im starting from scratch.
Measure fuel pressure
set floats.
check all jets and passages for clogging and proper size
*i need a venturi starting size, idle jet and main jet starting point.

then sync them without the linkage.
then set up the linkage.

thats my plan. If theres anything else you all recommend please add to the thread. Thank you in advance and Ill update my progress or lack thereof!

NAES
SBS #00
Danwvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2014 2:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like too much carb for stock heads on the small displacement engine. I would take a look to see if you can see what venturi size the 44's have in them. Your going to need to reduce to about 30mm for it to even begin to tune right. Let us know the sizes:
Main Jet,
Idle Jet,
Air correction,
Venturi,
What are you using for a fuel pump and pressure regulator, Fuel Pressure?
NAES
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2014 2:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Agreed im overcarbed but they are what I have so theyre what Ill be running for now. Downsizing in the future if needed

pump is an electric Holley. No regulator ATM but ill be measuring fuel pressure and regulating if needed to ensure im under 4lbs.
SBS #00
vwracerdave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2014 2:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Downsize now and get it running correctly. The money you save in fuel cost for a correctly running engine will offset the cost of getting the correct 40 IDF's
bugguy1967
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2014 4:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

X2 on 30mm vent size, or at least 32s.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jfats808
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2014 5:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To get it to run remotely with power, youll have to fatten the jetting. It unavoidable, but the downside is poor gas mileage. For a little while and since I bought a cheap 44 hpmx set, I ran it on a stock 1776, stock cam, stock heads and cr. It ran a hell of a lot better than the progressive and had better mileage even so. You can try and like the others mentioned, downsize the vent and rejet. List your jetting. Id start with a 60/140/200 and go from there.

Rockstar Suzuki wrote:

You might as well put 10 year build in your bullshit sig, as it will NEVER run. Also your a dick

You can always learn something new, even from a fool.
Check your oil levels routinely!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
rustybusjef
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2014 5:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't be afraid of 44IDF's , I ran them on stock 1600 for over 12 years with much success . They could idle at 750 rpm's and still cruise at over 90 mph . I have them on my 2332 now and they still work great . I was running 36 mm
venturis and 50 idles ,f11s and 175 air correction with 150 mains.
NAES
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2014 11:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you so much everyone. Ill at least be able to dive in there and see what im working with.

Ill report back with what i have and what I ended up with.
SBS #00
smitty24
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2014 3:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your combo is VERY similar to what I was running in my 1679cc bus. Except I was using twin 40s with 28mm vents. I think you want a 28 or 30mm vent MAX, for most low end punch. You are in a bus, where you want more low end balls. Upper rpm speed is not necessary is most buses. "Mild cam and stock valves" have small vents all over them! Im not sure if anyone makes a custom 44IDF vent that is a 28. Big vents in a heavy bus with a small engine sucks!
NAES
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2014 8:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey everyone, thanks so much for the feedback. I got in there yesterday and started from scratch. Checked all passages and jets. Ultrasonic cleaned them and visually looked through everything I could. No more popping, they open together perfectly, etc. Off the line they have plenty of punch. There's a big flat spot in what I assume to be the transition portion from idles to main jets that gets better as I pass through it. But there is definitely some more potential that I have not tapped just yet so I'll continue to play away using the advice I'm getting from you all. Here's the specs thus far

32mm Venturis
50 Idles (stamped, not physically measured)
F11 emulsion tubes
130 mains (stamped, not physically measured)
175 air correction jets (stamped, not physically measured)
Bosch 009 with Pertronix at 30* total advance
Fuel pressure is 3.5 using a Holley electric pump.

From all the reading I have done, I need to go up on the mains. Do I go crazy and jump to 150's or creep up on them and go 140's?

Other things I need to do are to lower the crossbar so the throttle cable isn't at such a crazy angle but that's unrelated to the carbs.

Also, does anyone run Outerwears or similar on the street? There is a lot of debris in the air cleaner bases from just running around town. I've noticed lowered car engines get much dirtier than stock height so anything I can do to help will.......help.
SBS #00
smitty24
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2014 10:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NAES wrote:
Hey everyone, thanks so much for the feedback. I got in there yesterday and started from scratch. Checked all passages and jets. Ultrasonic cleaned them and visually looked through everything I could. No more popping, they open together perfectly, etc. Off the line they have plenty of punch. There's a big flat spot in what I assume to be the transition portion from idles to main jets that gets better as I pass through it. But there is definitely some more potential that I have not tapped just yet so I'll continue to play away using the advice I'm getting from you all. Here's the specs thus far

32mm Venturis
50 Idles (stamped, not physically measured)
F11 emulsion tubes
130 mains (stamped, not physically measured)
175 air correction jets (stamped, not physically measured)
Bosch 009 with Pertronix at 30* total advance
Fuel pressure is 3.5 using a Holley electric pump.

From all the reading I have done, I need to go up on the mains. Do I go crazy and jump to 150's or creep up on them and go 140's?

Other things I need to do are to lower the crossbar so the throttle cable isn't at such a crazy angle but that's unrelated to the carbs.

Also, does anyone run Outerwears or similar on the street? There is a lot of debris in the air cleaner bases from just running around town. I've noticed lowered car engines get much dirtier than stock height so anything I can do to help will.......help.

From my experiences at sea level, the mains seem too small. You want to try a 135 or 140 with a 32 vent. 190 or 200 air might be better. If you have quality air cleaners that are oiled...you can slap outerwears over them for additional insurance. Utah is pretty dusty/dirty compared to the NW, and Im running the nicer air cleaners with CB filters. Some filters fit so poorly, you have to put grease on the seating surfaces. I could never get 50s to work at sea level. Always had to run 52-55 idles. Hope that helps.
Casting Timmy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2014 5:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If those mains feel good to you and look good with an air fuel gage, you can raise your floats a little to get the mains in sooner or go down on the airs. I think you can also put a wire thru the top bleed hole of the emulsion tube to bring htem in sooner.

I'll have to look at my notes to be sure
Casting Timmy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2014 4:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry you want to go up on the airs to get the mains in sooner.
NAES
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2014 4:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great info everyone. Thank you so much. Ill keep playing with them and see what i can male of them. As jets become available to me ill switch things around.
SBS #00
Casting Timmy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2014 4:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you do the wire trick in the emulsion tube...it suppose to make you go down on the air jets so you could probably just try this out with the air jets you have now.

Once you get your idles right, then you work on your air jets until you have a smooth transition. Then you can bring down your main jet until the air fuel gauge is reading right 12.8-13.2.

Since you have a mechanical only dizzy your idles circuit will be reading 12.8-13.2 even at a cruise.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: