Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Westfalia speculation
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tobias Duncan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2014 12:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bluefirefly wrote:
iliketowalk wrote:
Vanagon (non-westy) (LxWxH): 182"x72"x76"
Astro: 177"x77"74" (varies between models)

So they're definitely in the ballpark with each other... You do lose quite a bit to the hood in the Astro though, compared to the Westy.

I think you are loosing about 2 feet of room inside the Astro if I remember correctly..... but I might be wrong, I looked at it a while ago.....

What you lose in space you more than make up for in bow-chica-wow-wow factor.

chevrolet astro camper van: http://youtu.be/4oYKqiET8WQ
bluefirefly
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2014 1:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tobias Duncan wrote:
bluefirefly wrote:
iliketowalk wrote:
Vanagon (non-westy) (LxWxH): 182"x72"x76"
Astro: 177"x77"74" (varies between models)

So they're definitely in the ballpark with each other... You do lose quite a bit to the hood in the Astro though, compared to the Westy.

I think you are loosing about 2 feet of room inside the Astro if I remember correctly..... but I might be wrong, I looked at it a while ago.....

What you lose in space you more than make up for in bow-chica-wow-wow factor.

chevrolet astro camper van: http://youtu.be/4oYKqiET8WQ

Nice, but it is not a $10,000 van anymore Wink
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
kaalualu
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2014 1:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For me, they are worth a higher price, and it really is how much ya got that decides how much ya get. I know we are as a group mostly nostalgic/practical, searching for the quality we experienced in the past. Not just the German quality but the quality of life. I lived in my '63 panel with my German Shepard when I was 19-20 years old. It took me up and down the West Coast, surfing and hiking and mostly enjoying the dream/reality of those times. I'm 58 now, I'll never relive, by owning, the world just isn't the same, but every now and then, even though i just drive an '82 Diesel tin top, i feel that freedom of times gone by.
I'm elated that i tapped into that vibe that was, and i don't blame younger others who are attempting to experience all that. Cherry 'em out run 'em, use them for what they were built for, and if you can get your investment back +++, good on ya.
What you have to ask yourselves is, "why sell at all?"
TequilaSunSet
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2014 2:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

supdude wrote:
Future release of the 4x4 sprinter van will drive syncro westy prices down. Other than that, they're popular vans! Baby boomers with money to spend will keep the prices inflated.

This discussion took place some time back with lots of hurt feelings.

Bottom line, the Westy and Vanagon are 2 distinctly different vehicles, like apples and watermelons Sprinter is taller, longer, wider). The sprinter will have next to no impact on the westy.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

1967 Bug- Gone
1964 Euro Sunroof Bug- Gone
1969/72/63 Sunroof Bug- Gone
1975 Brazilian Bug in the Philippines 🇵🇭- New to me
tam_shops
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2014 2:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Totally agree, not even a 4x4 will make those that really want a Vanagon change their mind. I briefly looked at the Delica, but didn't even consider a Sprinter. Last week, I took our Vanagon from swimming lessons, to the grocery store, then finally camping. There is *no* way, I would have been able to park a Sprinter at either of those places. I also take it to work sometimes, the Sprinter might be a better/bigger camper, but it's not a second vehicle, which is what we use our Vanagon for!

tam

TequilaSunSet wrote:

Bottom line, the Westy and Vanagon are 2 distinctly different vehicles, like apples and watermelons Sprinter is taller, longer, wider). The sprinter will have next to no impact on the westy.

Making it special:
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=545885
kamzcab86
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2014 4:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TequilaSunSet wrote:
supdude wrote:
Future release of the 4x4 sprinter van will drive syncro westy prices down.

This discussion took place some time back with lots of hurt feelings.

I had the pleasure of seeing three Roadtrek conversions a couple of weeks ago (not interested whatsoever in buying; they were on display so had to have a look): one Chevy van and two Sprinters, short and long (nearly got locked inside the latter thanks to a salesjerk). The interior of all three were bloody awful, but the Sprinters: Third seat passenger has a great view of cabinets or a fridge (depending on the arrangement); if someone wants to go to bed while the rest are eating dessert, tough luck; if you're over 5' tall and 90 pounds, forget using the bathroom/shower; want to look out at the deer feeding in the meadow while eating breakfast at the table, bend over and try not to spill your cereal if you're a tall adult. The three demo vans could be yours for a mere $145,000 (each). They did have nice kitchens, I'll give 'em that. The one salesman (who wasn't a jerk) admitted that they are perfect for one person, okay for two, but three and beyond... get a Winnebago.

Many people out there like them 'cuz Roadtrek certainly sells a lot of those things. While some prefer Roadtreks, others prefer Westfalias. Nothing wrong owning either, just different tastes and needs.

4WD or not, no thanks to the Roadtrek; I'll keep my lovable VW. Very Happy
2016 Golf GTI S
"Real knowledge is to know the extent of one's ignorance." - 孔子
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
candyman
Samba Trout Slayer

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2014 5:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lets get off the sprinter discussion and back on the original post.

The best deals never hit the internet, if they do, you are either first or screwed. I personally got lucky on my current super clean unmolested all original 87 westy in April. Ad hit craigslist locally, priced well below market, and I happened to respond within the first 15 minutes. The owner was besieged within the hour with full price offers from all over the country. He happily handed me the keys so he could take down the ad.
I have already put over $2k into it for needed maintenance, like you would always have to anyways (i have beat that drum for years). Fortunately for me the owner who was a super nice and ethical seller, did not have the know-how to work on it or the pocket book to take it in to a shop. That is the key here, as these age more and more people buy them, something goes wrong, they cant work on them, cant afford a shop, so they sell them broken. Hopefully for a realistic value, but not always thanks to the internet. I do feel sad though for those who can not do their own work and then take out a second mortgage to buy $50k money pit Smile
For me, I have camped almost every weekend this summer in my current 87 score and have put close to 8k trouble free miles on it.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
slobrewer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2014 6:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't forget that there's an upside to the hobby by having vans priced a bit higher. If a decently clean running late 80's westy goes for the mid-teens then you're going to see people taking better care of them. A vehicle worth $5000 is always on the cusp of being totalled out in a minor collision or left to rot in a field or a garage somewhere.

Also, buying a car is a bit like dating. You don't really want the ones that are available because they're available for a reason (often significant flaws or unrealistic expectations.) Patience is key.
danfromsyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2014 6:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tru-dat Exclamation

slobrewer wrote:
Don't forget that there's an upside to the hobby by having vans priced a bit higher. If a decently clean running late 80's westy goes for the mid-teens then you're going to see people taking better care of them. A vehicle worth $5000 is always on the cusp of being totalled out in a minor collision or left to rot in a field or a garage somewhere.

Also, buying a car is a bit like dating. You don't really want the ones that are available because they're available for a reason (often significant flaws or unrealistic expectations.) Patience is key.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
kaalualu
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2014 7:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Agreed.
iliketowalk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2014 7:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

danfromsyr wrote:
Tru-dat Exclamation

slobrewer wrote:

The downside is the once a few $25-50k vans get written off or repaired, the insurance companies are going to be hip to it and our insurance premiums are going to go up a lot...
61Scout
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2014 7:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As far as a high-end westy goes, I feel many of the current owners are in zero rush to sell. They wait for the market to meet their asking price. They have money and other toys, so who cares if it takes a while. Some of these vans will indeed be on the market for a long time and some will never sell.

And also as others have stated, just the basic laws of supply and demand are at play. More vans get torn down so others can stay on the road. Fewer available vans and more people wanting them create higher prices.

Start buying shells... the high prices are here to stay.

Kevin
Remove the front spindle nut with ease: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=679567&highlight=
Remove the rear wheel bearing housing without messing with the big 46mm nut: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=679507&highlight=

-Nec Spe, Nec Metu
campism
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2014 6:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TequilaSunSet wrote:

Not to drag this out, but I recognize this photo from a thread on advrider.com and it involves a Eurovan owner's tale of the Sprinter buildout he is doing. Both the black EV and the red\silver Sprinter in this pic are his and he is doing a helluva job on the big van.

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=999332

Yes, it is much larger and an entirely different type of vehicle, but some of us are considering making that move. Now, back to your regularly scheduled program.
davevickery
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2014 11:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only thing I can see in that photo is a sweet looking orange Syncro?
Jake de Villiers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2014 1:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

davevickery wrote:
The only thing I can see in that photo is a sweet looking orange Syncro?

Very Happy Very Happy
http://sites.google.com/site/subyjake/mydixiedarlin%27
www.crescentbeachguitar.com
www.thebassspa.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Corwyn Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2014 10:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anything is worth whatever someone is willing to pay for it.
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=604813&highlight=baja

"If anything's" gonna happen, it's gonna happen out there"
~ Captain Ron ~
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
SCM
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2014 7:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

campism wrote:
Both the black EV and the red\silver Sprinter in this pic are his and he is doing a helluva job on the big van.

That's "Xtremejeepin"'s Eurovan and he documented that build here on the Samba. I'll have to check out the Sprinter. I agree that Sprinters don't influence the prices etc of Vanagons at all. I do however wonder if the Ford Transit and new Nissan vans will eventually do so. I've heard that the conversion company "Outside Van" is giving up on Sprinters in favor of converting the Nissans.

Still, new converted vans of any make/model are just as expensive as many of the more high priced Westies so I think it will just boil down to whether the untangible "coolness factor" of the Vanagon outweighs the costs of getting ahead of the maintanence.

As for "speculating", IMO the market is too small and uncertain, I'd rather try to make money in something like real estate or stocks/bonds. Then spend that $ on the Westy Laughing
Syncronoid
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2014 9:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just my two cents, but I think the impending 4x4 Sprinter is too tall and long to be a viable off-road camper. Sure, it will get you over the beach and down some 4-wheel drive roads, but even with no racks and/or gear on top, they are really limiting when you want to get waaay back in to the good spots. And, have you ever tried to park one of those in a grocery store parking lot? Might as well be a motorhome. Again, just my two cents. Westy's rule! ....will never sell! Smile
HoustonPhotog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2014 10:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

before jumping into a Westy I thought about buying a sprinter and building it out as a camper...

now everytime I drive my '87 westy and have people stop me at gas stations or wave at me while driving down the highway i think.... "they wouldn't be waving if i was in a Sprinter..." I made the right choice
TequilaSunSet
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2014 11:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

HoustonPhotog wrote:
before jumping into a Westy I thought about buying a sprinter and building it out as a camper...

now everytime I drive my '87 westy and have people stop me at gas stations or wave at me while driving down the highway i think.... "they wouldn't be waving if i was in a Sprinter..." I made the right choice

They would only being using 1 finger for taking up so much space Very Happy
1967 Bug- Gone
1964 Euro Sunroof Bug- Gone
1969/72/63 Sunroof Bug- Gone
1975 Brazilian Bug in the Philippines 🇵🇭- New to me
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: