Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Type 82 (Kubelwagen) questions
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Beetle - Split-Window/1938-53 VWs Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Martin Southwell
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2017 8:30 am    Post subject: Re: Type 82 (Kubelwagen) questions Reply with quote

southpier wrote:
so I don't start a new topic ....

what was the space in front of the cockpit (under the spare tire) used? For a spare fuel 'Jerry' can, or a water container of the same size. Handy when in hot countries, as the container doesn't have the sun shining on it, to heat it up.

was the floor of the cockpit its only access? Yes

could a 5 gallon gas can be fit there on its side - and more importantly, retrieved? Yes to both.

thanks
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
s.e.charles
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2017 9:02 am    Post subject: Re: Type 82 (Kubelwagen) questions Reply with quote

got it; thank you for the quick reply.
ww2vw.com
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2017 12:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Type 82 (Kubelwagen) questions Reply with quote

Hello,

Please look at my webpage at: www.ww2vw.com and

https://web.facebook.com/ww2vw/

regards Jacek
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Classifieds Feedback
s.e.charles
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2017 3:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Type 82 (Kubelwagen) questions Reply with quote

oohhh..... most excellent. thanks again.
Mike Sal
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2017 5:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Type 82 (Kubelwagen) questions Reply with quote

Putting a full fuel can into or pulling it out of that storage compartment up front was not an easy task.
Martin Southwell
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2017 3:21 am    Post subject: Re: Type 82 (Kubelwagen) questions Reply with quote

But an easier option than running out of fuel in the middle of nowhere, whilst surrounded by the enemy!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
s.e.charles
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2017 5:05 am    Post subject: Re: Type 82 (Kubelwagen) questions Reply with quote

I imagine the gear selector must be in the "R" position!
messerschmittfan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2019 7:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Type 82 (Kubelwagen) questions Reply with quote

I just have been going through the posts and noticed this one. The space under the nose of the Kuebelwagen will accept a 20 liter fuel can BUT according to the Operators manual that space is reserved for the Drivers equipment such as his field pack. The front passenger's equipment goes under his seat, the left rear passenger's equipment goes under the driver's seat (because the battery is under his seat) and the right rear passenger's gear goes under the right rear seat. Carrying a fuel can in the front was prohibited because of the fire danger. Harry
Martin Southwell
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2019 2:54 am    Post subject: Re: Type 82 (Kubelwagen) questions Reply with quote

No greater danger than the vehicle's design, whereby the passenger is basically carrying the vehicle's fuel tank on their lap!
Second Air Force
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2019 4:02 am    Post subject: Re: Type 82 (Kubelwagen) questions Reply with quote

My father was in N. Africa with the U.S. 1st Armored Division and repaired a Kubel for his personal vehicle. He told me that they kept a can of water "in front of our feet" in his car. It wasn't till I was older and had access to photos of Kubels that I understood his comment!
blood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2022 4:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Type 82 (Kubelwagen) questions Reply with quote

Dear Second Air Force, do you by any chance have photos of this car concerning what changes in the paint markings to show it was in US Army hands? I am considering making changes to my 44 model to show US confiscation. Thanks
sgmalt46
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2022 7:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Type 82 (Kubelwagen) questions Reply with quote

I would send him a private message . he might not see this resurrected thread from 3 years ago. a private message alert will / should show in his regular email .

steve.
66 beetle
71 square back (sold) ! good luck with it Henry!
46 beetle 552nd royal army service corps CCG
finster
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2022 1:34 am    Post subject: Re: Type 82 (Kubelwagen) questions Reply with quote

you could also look through the vintage photo thread - https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=262268

plenty of captured kubels there or look through my photo gallery. the main change was to clearly mark the vehicle as allied, so a big white star for us ones

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

nothing lasts, nothing is finished, and nothing is perfect...
Second Air Force
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2022 2:46 am    Post subject: Re: Type 82 (Kubelwagen) questions Reply with quote

blood wrote:
Dear Second Air Force, do you by any chance have photos of this car concerning what changes in the paint markings to show it was in US Army hands? I am considering making changes to my 44 model to show US confiscation. Thanks

blood,

Here is a link to my interpretation of my dad's Kubel in North Africa. I have never seen a picture of his actual car but he did describe how he and his crew painted big stars on it and so forth. When I built the model I used pictures of African Kubels in Tunisia and what my father told me about his. The best help I had was that he told me the one he drove had a black cat on the engine lid, that gave me a clue as to which German unit "owned" the car before they abandoned it.
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...;start=420

Make sure to go through the Vintage photos thread as Finster said--there are numerous Allied operated Kubels in there!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Split-Window/1938-53 VWs All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: