Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Torquing rear axle nut
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Robw_z
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2016 9:23 am    Post subject: Torquing rear axle nut Reply with quote

The rear axle nut on Vanagons is not very home mechanic friendly. I got a large impact and socket to get the thing off, but don't have the torque wrench to put it back on.

I tightened it with the impact before going to a tire shop to have them torque it properly. They looked at me like they'd never heard of 360 ft lbs and recommended I try a semi-truck shop, they looked at me the same way.

The second shop ended up torquing it to 250 ft lbs, their max torque spec, and then a bit more to the next cotter pin setting.

Is this good enough or should I resume my search?

-Rob
Tom Powell
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2016 9:43 am    Post subject: Re: Torquing rear axle nut Reply with quote

For my '69 camper I stand with one foot on the end of a two foot breaker bar and bounce a bit.

Aloha
tp
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Jeffrey Lee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2016 9:45 am    Post subject: Re: Torquing rear axle nut Reply with quote

If you have the proper socket and a 3/4" breaker bar, simply slip a long pipe over the handle.

To be precise, divide your body weight in pounds by 360 to determine X, then make a mark on the pipe X feet from the exact center of the socket. With the breaker bar and pipe nearly horizontal at the 3 o'clock position, carefully stand on the pipe with your full body weight until it will no longer tighten. That should be sufficiently close to 360 ft/lbs.

Example:
I weigh nearly exactly 180 lbs.
360 divided by 180 equals 2
Stand on the pipe 2 feet out from the center of the socket

Say you weigh 150 lbs.
360 divided by 150 equals 2.4
Stand on the pipe 2.4 feet out from the center of the socket
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ZsZ
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2016 9:48 am    Post subject: Re: Torquing rear axle nut Reply with quote

I am using a 3/4 socket and a 6-7 ft long cheater bar to tigthen that nut without a torque wrench.

The revised factory spec is 500 Nm (~360 ft lbs) and a bit more to next cotter pin with 10 slot crown nut. If not tightened enough it can got loosen while driving.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Sodo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2016 10:01 am    Post subject: Re: Torquing rear axle nut Reply with quote

ZsZ wrote:
I am using a 3/4 socket and a 6-7 ft long cheater bar to tigthen that nut without a torque wrench.

that's perfect. You know your weight, make a mark on your long cheater bar, and stand on that mark.

For example the 150lb guy has to stand on the cheater bar at 2.4 feet from the nut.

150 lb x 2.4 ft = 360 ft-lbs. Exactly.

NOTE1: This method is more accurate than a torque wrench. In fact you might consider verifying your torque wrench's accuracy using this method.

NOTE2: It doesn't make that much danged difference. Make it about "this tight" then go to the next available castellation and put the pin in.

'90 Westy EJ25, 2Peloquins, 3knobs, pressure-oiled GT mainshaft, filtered, cooled gearbox
'87 Tintop w 47k 53k, '12 SmallCar EJ25, cooled filtered gearbox
....KTMs, GasGas, SPOT mtb
?Waldo?
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2016 12:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Torquing rear axle nut Reply with quote

I can appreciate the usefulness of the large torque wrench, but the calculation method is more accurate than the torque wrench and there is no guesswork to the calculation which is extremely easy elementary school single-operation math.
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2016 1:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Torquing rear axle nut Reply with quote

You don't need a torque wrench to do this job, it would actually be almost useless. Tighten the nut down figuring out how far out to stand on the bar for you body weight and then continue to tighten the nut further until the slots in the nut align with the hole in the shaft so you can get the cotter pin in. By now you will most likely have greatly exceeded 360 ft*lbs.

I do have a torque wrench that will easily handle 360 ft*lbs, but would never consider getting it out of its case for this job.
alijonny
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2016 2:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Torquing rear axle nut Reply with quote

this method sounds great, but what about bigger guys such as myself, who already weigh 320lbs? Should I subtract length from my breaker bar? Laughing Wink
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2016 2:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Torquing rear axle nut Reply with quote

Back in Nov of 2008 Everett wrote this......

"Thu Nov 08, 2012 12:03 am
Here's a post I made a while back in another thread about the gland nut

EverettB wrote: Here's what I do:
Get my breaker bar and big socket.
You need 250 ft. lbs. of force so that is 250 lbs. at 1 foot out from the socket.
1 foot = 12 inches.

Say you weigh 175.
So take 250/175 = 1.43
12 inches x 1.43 = 17.1 inches.
Mark a line on the bar at 17.1 inches.
Get someone to hold the engine, I usually have my wife put her foot on the opposite cylinder head with the engine on the ground.
Stand on the bar with all your body weight at the line you just made. I usually have to brace myself on my car or put a hand on a nearby tool chest.
When the bar stops moving downward from your weight, you just applied 250 lbs.

Don't jump on the bar or you will over tighten it.
It takes less force than you think.

I use this method to do the rear axle nuts too."

Dave

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Jeffrey Lee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2016 4:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Torquing rear axle nut Reply with quote

alijonny wrote:
this method sounds great, but what about bigger guys such as myself, who already weigh 320lbs? Should I subtract length from my breaker bar? Laughing Wink

360 divided by 320 equals 1.125
Stand on the pipe 1.125 feet out from the center of the socket.

Now, if you're a really big fella, say, 400 lbs.:
360 divided by 400 equals .9
Stand on the pipe .9 feet out from the center of the socket.

Though I would guess that the shorter your lever, the less accurate the application of torque ...
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Howesight
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2016 4:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Torquing rear axle nut Reply with quote

alijonny wrote:

That's what children are for. Make a mark at 3 feet from centre on your breaker bar and add children until the total child-based weight is 120 pounds. If slightly more is needed, add pizza pops to get exactly 120 pounds. Alternatively, large dogs can also be used, but they need to be of the non-squirmy and patient variety.
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2016 5:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Torquing rear axle nut Reply with quote

alijonny wrote:

Find a lighter weight friend. Wink

A friend who weights right at 200# will work just right with an 18" breaker bar.
Tom Powell
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2016 6:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Torquing rear axle nut Reply with quote

Wildthings wrote:
alijonny wrote:

A friend who weights right at 200# will work just right with an 18" breaker bar.

That would give 300 ft-lbs. You need a breaker bar that is 21.6 inches

Or you can put an 18 pound cat on a 20 foot bar.

catorquenick technique

Aloha
tp

Last edited by Tom Powell on Wed Mar 23, 2016 8:18 pm; edited 1 time in total
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2016 8:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Torquing rear axle nut Reply with quote

Tom Powell wrote:
Wildthings wrote:
alijonny wrote:

Or you can put an 18 pound cat on a 200 inch bar.

catorquenick technique

Aloha
tp

But then you have have to take the weight of the bar into account, yikes. Crying or Very sad
Tom Powell
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2016 8:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Torquing rear axle nut Reply with quote

Wildthings wrote:
Tom Powell wrote:
Wildthings wrote:
alijonny wrote:

Or you can put an 18 pound cat on a 200 inch bar.

catorquenick technique

Aloha
tp

But then you have have to take the weight of the bar into account, yikes. Crying or Very sad

Some bad math in previous posts. Some has been corrected.

If you have a 200# friend you need a breaker bar 21.6 inches.
If you have an 18# cat you need a 20 foot bar.

If you have a twenty foot bar that weighs 36 pounds you don't need the cat.

Aloha
tp
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2016 11:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Torquing rear axle nut Reply with quote

Tom Powell wrote:

If you have a 200# friend you need a breaker bar 21.6 inches.

You are correct, I should have said he need a 240# friend for an 18" bar. Whoever came up with the idea of having 12 inches in a foot instead of 10 have sure caused a lot of errors over the years.
metropoj
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2016 5:19 am    Post subject: Re: Torquing rear axle nut Reply with quote

Great post for making this simple for those that don't go into this area of their van a whole lot.

i am still smiling about the imagery of an 18 pound cat ! Must looks like a furry watermelon !
dobryan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2016 6:02 am    Post subject: Re: Torquing rear axle nut Reply with quote

How much does Schrodinger's cat weigh? Can anyone measure it when it is on a breaker bar or does the act of measuring it change its state? Twisted Evil

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

"To travel hopefully is a better thing than to arrive." Robert Louis Stevenson

MD>Canada>AK>WA>OR>CA>AZ>UT>WY>SD
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=620646

Building a bus for travel in Europe (euroBus)
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=695371

The Western Syncro build
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=746794
alijonny
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2016 7:28 am    Post subject: Re: Torquing rear axle nut Reply with quote

Razz HAHAHAHA! I haven't laughed out loud in a while. Some of these responses are great. I have an 18 lbs cat and a ~120ish lbs wife. I will utililize my wife. She is going to love this.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2016 7:35 am    Post subject: Re: Torquing rear axle nut Reply with quote

alijonny wrote:
Razz HAHAHAHA! I haven't laughed out loud in a while. Some of these responses are great. I have an 18 lbs cat and a ~120ish lbs wife. I will utililize my wife. She is going to love this.

I always try to avoid asking my wife to help with anything where her aid could be construed as acting as ballast. Might not be an issue with a wife that only weights 120#. Wink
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: