Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Measuring oil pressure...
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
crvc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2014 7:39 am    Post subject: Measuring oil pressure... Reply with quote

Measuring oil pressure without a gauge. My plan is to take the pressure switch out then measure the volume of oil that spurts out at idle. I checked the local parts stores and none have a gauge to lend or rent.

The green light stays on at idle. I changed switches twice. Then I changed oil pumps. Nothing turns off the green light at idle. The light goes out when driving. Anyone know how much oil will come out per minute at idle?

TIA,

crvc
Danwvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2014 7:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not sure how much oil comes out probably all of it pretty quick! But You should not be able to hold it back with your thumb. Watch the belt! Probably what is wrong is oil pump fit is poor or there is a air leak in your oil pic-up tube. I use case sealer around my oil pump where it's cylindrical part fits inside the case. This fills the gap around the intake hole on the pump and helps oil pressure a lot.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Northof49
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2014 8:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's just way too rough of a guestimation. Hell, I'd even use a tire pressure gauge if I had to. That would be better than observing oil squirt out. Surely you can beg or borrow some sort of 0-50 psi guage and rig it up.
crvc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2014 8:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Northof49 wrote:
That's just way too rough of a guestimation. Hell, I'd even use a tire pressure gauge if I had to. That would be better than observing oil squirt out. Surely you can beg or borrow some sort of 0-50 psi guage and rig it up.

If I coulda, I woulda. I just need to see what comes out at idle.

I've got a remote starter, tubing and a screw-in connector so I can watch what comes out hopefully without a mess. If there's an air leak, as Danwvw mentioned, then no oil would come out at idle?

Thanks,

crvc
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2014 8:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Get an inexpensive pressure gauge with 1/8 x 27 threads, and screw in lightly, don't force. Should be less than $15.
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
drscope
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2014 9:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PLEASE wear a white shirt and video this when you do it!

This isn't going to tell you ANYTHING except that you made a BIG mistake! And maybe that oil goes places you never thought it could. And that the smell will stay in your hair, and skin for several days or weeks.

You know you have low oil pressure. So whats the point of doing this?

The question is how low is it and you aren't going to be able to figure that out by squirting oil all over everything and getting it in your eye.

If the oil pressure is low enough to turn the light on at idle, then it is too low. Worst case is that you loose a rod bearing and kill the crank and maybe a rod.

Next worse case is that it's low, but you still have a couple thousand miles to go before you kill it.

So at this point, the best thing you could do since no local places carry a gauge, is to order one. You should have it in a couple days.

If you do what you have planned, you will still be wiping up oil in a couple days, so what do you have to loose?

Order a gauge and do it right. that way you know what you are dealing with and you don't have a mess to clean up. Trust me, even an engine that is making less then 1 psi of oil pressure will spit oil out so fast you won't know what hit you!
Todd66
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2014 9:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PLEASE do the squirt test and video it. I would love to see the results. Very Happy . Even if you found an exact way of measuring and a way to not make a mess it will tell you nothing. You would be measuring volume not pressure which are two totally seperate things. But still, do the pressure test and post the video.
Harleyelf
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2014 10:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When you replaced the sending unit for the oil pressure idiot light, did you get a 2psi sender of the standard 7psi unit most foreign cars use? You really should get at least a sending unit for a proper gauge - you can measure with an ohmmeter if you have no dash gauge.
Danwvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2014 10:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Something like these gauges in the 1 1/2" size would be nice. Probably pick something similar up at Home Depot or True Value But these Omega gauges are nice and you can get better scale resolution with a lower psi gauge like the PGUF-15B-30PSI/2BAR psi. Check them out. Either way you need to see why your oil light is not going out at Idle. It's simple to check the pick-up tube as it's accessible when your change the oil and service the drain screen. You may have to pull the oil pump again and plug that hole with your finger then put a hose or something over the oil pick-up tube and see if it's air tight. The thing is a Cold Air Cooled engine will have 20 or 30 lbs of oil pressure at Idle but only 5-20 lbs hot at idle depending on the condition of the engine. The single relief cases tend to give a oil light at idle when hot once they get a lot of miles on them. Thicker oil should keep the oil light off even on a high milage engine.

crvc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2014 2:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't understand what the relief valve has to do with it. Wilson's book, page 36, shows a case cut in half. It shows two directions for oil to flow. If there's a bubble of air resting on the relief valve what do I do to get rid of it? What will pulling the spring and valve out tell me? Why doesn't a hot engine let the air dissolve into the oil?

TIA,

crvc
crvc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2014 3:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I unscrewed the plug nearest the crankshaft pulley. The spring slid out. I can see the valve is still stuck at the top of the shaft. I sprayed the shaft with wd40, no movement. I slid two screwdrivers in to act as a wedge but no movement. I have a second valve and tried whittling a dowel to fit tightly into the recess, no movement. I have a good magnet that fits into the channel but it didn't move the valve.

How about I screw the plug back in without the spring. Run the engine for a while then see whether that moved the valve? Anything safe to add to the oil to lubricate the valve?

Any suggestions?

TIA,

crvc
glutamodo Premium Member
The Android

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2014 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you have a set of Metric taps? that's the trick to getting the relief valve plunger out. 12mm tap

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
crvc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2014 4:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Umm, never mind. I solved the problem that was causing the green light to stay on at idle. You'll never guess.

crvc
Danwvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2014 5:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, I will guess! Since your say we will never guess that means it's something else right! How about a loose wire!
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2014 5:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

crvc wrote:
Umm, never mind. I solved the problem that was causing the green light to stay on at idle. You'll never guess.

crvc

Idiot light wires crossed?
Danwvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2014 5:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool
blue77bay
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2014 5:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Waiting!!! Question Question Question
crvc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2014 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

blue77bay wrote:
Waiting!!! Question Question Question

Years ago my dad gave me two short blocks, a t-2 and a t-3. He said one had low oil pressure but he wasn't sure which. I split the case on the t-3 and found a deep gouge in the #4 main bearing. I had the case line bored with all new crankshaft bearings. No problems with oil pressure after that.

But the t-3 had constant vapor lock. Dad mentioned it had a racing cam. So I switched to the t-2 block. It took a while to notice the green light never came on because the switch was bad. When I replaced it suddenly the green light was on at idle. When I replaced it again no change. When I replaced the oil pump, no change.

Someone suggested checking the relief valves. I unscrewed the plug closest to the crankshaft pulley and the spring shot out. But no valve. It took several days to realize it wasn't stuck in there. There just wasn't a valve. A spring but no valve. Maybe this was the block with the low oil pressure all along. Maybe he never put the valve in. Or maybe I forgot to put the valve in when I split the case. But why would I remember to put the spring in with no valve?

Regardless, I put the valve in from the t-3 and suddenly no green light at idle.

You'd think nine years of college and graduating cum laude I wouldn't forget things like that valve. So I'll blame my dad. Smile

crvc
Danwvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2014 1:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Probably some oil change jockey unscrewed it by mistake and lost it! I vaguely remember un-screwing one by accident back in my early VW days!
crvc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2014 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, I always change my own oil. Thinking back a few years, I was taking jugs, heads etc off one block to build a second motor. I probably used a flashlight to look into the bore and assumed I saw a piston, then added the spring and plug and didn't think anymore about it.

I took a long drive today. At first I was checking to see WHETHER the green light would come on. Then later I was checking BECAUSE the green light wasn't coming on. Smile

crvc
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: