Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Help. I need info about this bug.
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dapimpbus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2014 6:57 pm    Post subject: Help. I need info about this bug. Reply with quote

Can anyone tell me how rare and how much is a bug like this one.
I found this at a tow yard and don't know if I should buy it. I already have a 62 bug that I'm working on but I've never seen one like this one.

It doesn't have a fuel guage, it also has a strange steering wheel, column, and turn signal assembly too. No chrome trim and no holes for the trim. I checked and they were not deleted with bondo.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
grandpa pete
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2014 7:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

a standard ????

No dash trim

no hood trim

Interesting that there is chrome trim around the drivers window but not the rear or rear quarters

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=569619&highlight=sedan+delivery

Last edited by grandpa pete on Fri Aug 29, 2014 7:10 pm; edited 1 time in total
sixfootdan
Samba Smartass

Location: \Lo*ca"tion\, n. 1. The act or process of locating.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2014 7:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its a standard model, Pretty cool and rare. I don't know that much about them. I'm sure others will chime in.

GO SEAHAWKS!!!

Last edited by sixfootdan on Fri Aug 29, 2014 7:12 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Rathguten
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2014 7:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Buy it! It's a Standard.
Dapimpbus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2014 7:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What's standard mean. I'm kinda new to vw.
How rare is it?
Is it more rare than my 62?
Rare like an oval or split window?
Dapimpbus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2014 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What would be a good price to pay as it sits?
grandpa pete
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2014 7:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Standard was a cheep bottom of the line car
as People bought and sold them they would add custom touches and chrome or just use them for parts cars.....Therefore not too many are left in original condition

At one point a plain jane 150 sedan 56 chevy brought more money than a total custom Bel Air because of it's uniqueness Shocked

Tell them you want it for parts $500

Do you have the $2500 it will cost to put it on the road??

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=569619&highlight=sedan+delivery

Last edited by grandpa pete on Fri Aug 29, 2014 7:28 pm; edited 2 times in total
Dapimpbus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2014 7:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What should I expect to pay for this one?
andk5591
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2014 5:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What year is that - like a 65 or 66? As far as paying for it - as little as you can get it for. I dont know the specifics on a standard, but you should buy it and sell me that steering wheel.
"John's car" 64 VW woodie - The first ever
Maxine 61 Cal-look bug - Cindy's daily driver.
Max - 73 standard Beetle hearse project - For sale
66 bug project - Real patina & Suby conversion
There's more, but not keeping them...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
VOLKSWAGNUT
Fastest VW Belt Changer

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2014 5:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

1965 Standard.. Wink . (no center defrost grille)

Standard means... its not a Deluxe.

Less Chrome.. and "features". Such as the fuel gauge.

If you can get it cheap.. with the correct and proper paperwork...buy it....and flip it..
No correct papers (title etc..) not worth as much..

Medium Rare in the USA.... Well done.. for anywhere else Laughing

Its a Standard.... and the VW crowd in the US... will pay for the "odd" nature of it..
Plus it has that perfect sun baked patina thats all the new rage...
It also seems fairly solid... being Nevada.. I bet its is..

IMO.. you can make any Deluxe look like a standard.. or vice versa..
Parts are parts.. its worth some sale investigation for that alone.

For example... I'd like to have just the Standard column and wheel.. for a project.. but I wont pay out the ass for one..

Its about the going not the showing
Rebuilt to drive not decorate
WANTED: Local Eatin' Joints, Triple D for TheSamba contributions here http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=570510
Search "VOLKSWAGNUT" on YouTube since you cant watch a "certain" BELT change video round here
Usually and often edited

Last edited by VOLKSWAGNUT on Sat Aug 30, 2014 5:45 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
61SNRF
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2014 5:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like it started life as a '65 European 1200A or Sparkafer. The demand for them came mostly from Germany and Holland, where I'm sure they are much more common to see.

"Rare" to see one here in the US yes, but not so desirable like an Oval or Split.

More of an oddball in my opinion, unless you are super frugal and like austerity, or just want to be different Laughing

Super hard to restore correctly as much of their trim and fittings is unique.
Notice no horn grille on the R/F fender, that's original.

That's a choke knob on the right side of the ashtray, it would have originally had a fresh air 36hp engine with manual choke.

Painted turn signal housings, painted vent wings, painted door handles, window cranks etc. Should have painted headlight rings too.

Notice early license plate light on '65-'66 style decklid, that's OG too.

Given it has over riders on the bumpers, must have had the Ram Protection option ordered.

Center headliner only, no trim on the B or C pillars.

Simplified rubber floor mats.

Steering wheel would cost just as much as a Deluxe to restore, but you wouldn't have to buy a chrome horn ring Wink

How much to pay? Well, it is a solid parts car, original spare tire and jack too Smile

But, to go all stock/original would likely cost just as much as a Deluxe to restore, so keep the big picture in mind as to what you would ultimately do with it.

Anywhere from $100 to $500 I'd imagine.

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure.
henry roberts
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2014 7:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

if you like patina's cars and want to build one, that looks like a very good base.
for a full restoration, if it is as good rust wise as it looks, it's not a bad base.
if you only want to do one car and you already have time and money in your 62, I wouldn't bother. yes the car you found is more unusual but it's also a later model. in the long run, if you do a full restoration, I think the quality and correctness will make more difference in sale price that if it's a 62 deluxe or a 65 standard.
Dapimpbus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2014 11:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you all for the awesome information on this bug. I'm gonna stop by on Tuesday and buy it if it's under $700. I'll clean it up do body work and when I have enough cash and I'm done with my '62 I'll set this one free on the road. I'll keep it in my back yard. I already love the car, even more now that I know it's not too common and thanks to all the info that you all gave me.

VOLKSWAGNUT how do I get the proper paper work for the bug. What am I looking for as far as the paper work. This is a bug at a tow yard, it's been impounded for almost a year so it belongs to them now and al I'll get is some king of bill of sale so I can get the pink slip.

The guy said it's a 64. I'll check the body and pan tags for year and to make sure it's a numbers matching car.

Anything else I should look for as far as rarity.

You guys noticed and brought to my attention a lot of things I didn't even noticed. Great job.
Helfen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2014 11:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

61SNRF wrote:
Looks like it started life as a '65 European 1200A or Sparkafer. The demand for them came mostly from Germany and Holland, where I'm sure they are much more common to see.

"Rare" to see one here in the US yes, but not so desirable like an Oval or Split.

More of an oddball in my opinion, unless you are super frugal and like austerity, or just want to be different Laughing

That's a choke knob on the right side of the ashtray, it would have originally had a fresh air 36hp engine with manual choke.

Painted turn signal housings, painted vent wings, painted door handles, window cranks etc. Should have painted headlight rings too.

Given it has over riders on the bumpers, must have had the Ram Protection option ordered.

Steering wheel would cost just as much as a Deluxe to restore, but you wouldn't have to buy a chrome horn ring Wink

How much to pay? Well, it is a solid parts car, original spare tire and jack too Smile

But, to go all stock/original would likely cost just as much as a Deluxe to restore, so keep the big picture in mind as to what you would ultimately do with it.

First 1964 is the last year a Type 111 is called a standard. 65's are called "A" Sedans and 66's are called 1200 "A".
These cars are VERY rare these days.
Things you should check; vin# and engine #
1965 "A" sedans are really the last of line of beetles that can trace their roots to 1938. 65 111's are the last cars to come with a 36 hp, but they are fresh air heater 36hp see the link for my 65 111;
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/gallery/pix/516081.jpg
A complete picture of a 36hp fresh air;
http://i132.photobucket.com/albums/q16/threespoke/standardkafer/literature/LIT265brocengine.jpg
1965 "A" sedans are the last year the old style floor pans were used that have two dimples per mat, eight total welded to the pan for the two per floor mats to snap over. 1965 is the last year to use the claw and wing nut for securing and adjusting the front seats, in other words 65 and earlier do not have seat tracks installed on the pans. 1965 is the last year to use the 28PCI manual choke carburetor.
1966 models (1200"A") have, like the deluxe a center defroster vent. 1966 is the first year of the 40hp engine, but unlike earlier 40hp engines in deluxe models it has cam bearings, and the large stud oil pump. 1966 is the first year a 111 will have a auto choke.

The engine in the picture of the car in question is not a 36hp fresh air.
The car does not appear to have a center dash vent, and to the rt. of the ash tray is the pull for the manual choke.
There is a VERY remote possibility ( vins will tell) it could be VERY early 1966 production, but I doubt it.
I think the cars is a 1965 TYPE 111, with a ( won't be able to tell which year until eng ser # is provided) 40 hp engine.
hitest
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2014 11:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Standard" is an international term. Most of those cars that made it to the US are actually a "Canadian Custom" if I recall correctly.

I wonder what the nut looks like.

'62 L390 151, '62 L469 117, '63 L380 113, '64 L87 311, '65 L512 265, '65 L31 SO-42, '66 L360 251, '68 L30k 141, '71 L12 113, '74 ORG 181

FU#5
Helfen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2014 11:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Helfen wrote:
61SNRF wrote:

First 1964 is the last year a Type 111 is called a standard. 65's are called "A" Sedans and 66's are called 1200 "A".
These cars are VERY rare these days.
Things you should check; vin# and engine #
1965 "A" sedans are really the last of line of beetles that can trace their roots to 1938. 65 111's are the last cars to come with a 36 hp, but they are fresh air heater 36hp see the link for my 65 111;
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/gallery/pix/516081.jpg
A complete picture of a 36hp fresh air;
http://i132.photobucket.com/albums/q16/threespoke/standardkafer/literature/LIT265brocengine.jpg
1965 "A" sedans are the last year the old style floor pans were used that have two dimples per mat, eight total welded to the pan for the two per floor mats to snap over. 1965 is the last year to use the claw and wing nut for securing and adjusting the front seats, in other words 65 and earlier do not have seat tracks installed on the pans. 1965 is the last year to use the 28PCI manual choke carburetor. 1965 cars because of their 36 hp engine use the tunnel type transaxle, but unlike the 1965 deluxe model's 40hp eng using a final drive ratio of 4.375 ring and pinion, the 1965 111 uses a 4.43 ring and pinion in the tunnel type syncro box. The same final drive ring and pinion as 1938 beetle.
1966 models (1200"A") have, like the deluxe a center defroster vent and welded in seat tracks. 1966 is the first year of the 40hp engine, but unlike earlier 40hp engines in deluxe models it has cam bearings, and the large stud oil pump. 1966 is the first year a 111 will have a auto choke.

The engine in the picture of the car in question is not a 36hp fresh air.
The car does not appear to have a center dash vent, and to the rt. of the ash tray is the pull for the manual choke.
There is a VERY remote possibility ( vins will tell) it could be VERY early 1966 production, but I doubt it.
I think the cars is a 1965 TYPE 111, with a ( won't be able to tell which year until eng ser # is provided) 40 hp engine.
Helfen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2014 12:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hitest wrote:
"Standard" is an international term. Most of those cars that made it to the US are actually a "Canadian Custom" if I recall correctly.

You car correct, but the Canadian custom is easily a stand out from the "A" sedans and the 1200"A" european models because of their headlamp glass covers, red only rear tail lamp, a mph speedo, towel rack bumpers (although any German model could be ordered with towel rack's). The 36 hp engine for Canada has a crankcase devise to the air cleaner and last but not least the Canadian 1200 custom ( still designated a Type 111) uses the old 1959 deluxe steering wheel....see the link;
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/gallery/pix/269759.jpg
Helfen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2014 12:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Look at the rear bumper brackets....typical 111 model with towel rack bumpers..Notice there is no center (third bar) reinforcement.
Helfen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2014 12:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Look at the drivers floor mat. see the dimples for the mat to snap over. that is 1965 and earlier. see the link;
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/gallery/pix/1249650.jpg
kevhum
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2014 12:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

complete with OG continental spare tire!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: