Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Sluggish Bottom End - Near Stalling
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
porterbrown
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2012 3:38 pm    Post subject: Sluggish Bottom End - Near Stalling Reply with quote

Now I know that these aren't race worthy, but I don't remember the bottom end being so weak on my previous '90 westy.

I now have a different '90 westy, and it's been extremely sluggish upon take-off. At some stoplights, I've had it floored and not much happening (worried about the line of cars behind me starting to freak. Obviously, this becomes exaggerated when the AC is on. The van had a wheel in a pothole a couple of days ago, and i couldn't get it out of the hole until i killed the AC.

Is it common to have to switch the AC off to even get the van to move? If this was anything other than a vanagon that might be a stupid question. Laughing

As always, thanks for any help!
MidwestDrifter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2012 5:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Auto or manual van?

Are you sure its the engine and not the transmission/clutch slipping?

We need some more info about what happens.

Does it feel like the transmission is slipping?

What is your idle like (rpm smoothness etc).

What RPM does it seem to get its power back?

Some quick things to check if your think its an engine issue.

Temp 2 sensor

Throttle switches (specifically the idle switch)

A basic tune up can't hurt either.
Epic Road Tripping since 08/05/12 | http://VagariesAbound.blogspot.com/
My Current Build | http://sprinter-source.com/forum/showthread.php?t=41215
porterbrown
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2012 6:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's an auto.

Unsure that it's not the tranny. How would I be able to tell if there's slipping?

Idle is ok, but not great. If AC is on, it sputters at times. Occasionally dies.

Seller mentioned that it "sometimes chugs when going up hillls" and I've experienced that at times on hills.

Most of the ignition system is new, plugs, wires, cap, etc... O2 sensor and fuel filter was just replaced as well.
MidwestDrifter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2012 7:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Unsure that it's not the tranny. How would I be able to tell if there's slipping?

I am not an auto expert, but slipping usually involves the engine revving up much higher than normal for a given speed. (maybe 3k rpm at a less than 5mph?) If you issue is intermittent it probably isn't the transmission.

These cars do need adjustment on occasion, if you are competent with a multi-meter you can test most of the sensors. The ones I listed above are a good start. I am not a waterboxer expert, but I am familiar with its engine management system.

I would definately check the Temp2 sensor. Its easy to test, and cheap if it needs replaced. Looking for vacuum leaks isn't a bad idea either.

If you check the Bentley there is a procedure for adjusting/checking the throttle switches and throttle body in general. If your throttle switches are sticking it can cause all kinds of odd behavior.

Does your van do fine when the engine gets to a higher RPM? or is the power loss constant across the RPM range?

Your van definately isn't running right, at a minimum you shouldn't need to turn the AC off to get moving Laughing
Epic Road Tripping since 08/05/12 | http://VagariesAbound.blogspot.com/
My Current Build | http://sprinter-source.com/forum/showthread.php?t=41215
porterbrown
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2012 7:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

at high RPMs, it runs great actually. It's just the take-off that's off right now.

thx for your input. will check that temp2 sensor and throttle switches.
porterbrown
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 7:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

basic tune-up complete.

replaced coolant temp sender, and, while i think it's running a bit better, i'm still getting a slow rolling take-off if when the engine is under load. In this case, the load being the AC or a hill (god forbid both!)

she runs great other than take-off.

looking into throttle switch. maybe even the cat?
HoustonPhotog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2014 11:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know this is an old topic... but i thought I'd chime in since Im having the same experiences with my '87 Automatic... Im wondering if the original poster solved this issue... any updates?

I swapped out the Cat this past weekend thinking that may have been the culprit but the one i removed wasnt clogged at all... so no dice.

Other items on my list to check/replace.
fuel pressure regulator
fuel filter
timing

thanks
morymob
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2014 4:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Set rpms so u have 900/950 in gear & try it..Also check flapper in afm to make sure it moves freely from idle position, notsticky.
porterbrown
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2014 5:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HoustonPhotog wrote:
I know this is an old topic... but i thought I'd chime in since Im having the same experiences with my '87 Automatic... Im wondering if the original poster solved this issue... any updates?

I swapped out the Cat this past weekend thinking that may have been the culprit but the one i removed wasnt clogged at all... so no dice.

Other items on my list to check/replace.
fuel pressure regulator
fuel filter
timing

thanks

Nope, not resolved yet. The focus shifted to several other larger issues, but now it's back on the road and I'm back to square-one regarding this particular issue with a slow take-off. Same story...hardly rolls when floored at a stoplight, but then perks up quite a bit at around 5-10mph and takes off. The RPMs don't climb high during this.

I don't think it's the tranny. My gut keeps telling me it must be an air/fuel mix issue or something with the throttle cable?

Fuel filter is new.

Thanks for any help!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: