Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

My Flexible Thin Solar Panel Setup
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
DAV!D
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2015 2:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ThankYouJerry wrote:
Did you see the photos above with 3 panels mounted?

No, I was posting from my cell phone, so I have to click each picture to see it. Anyway, I don't know if those are the same brand (Renogy) because there are diffrent size panels, depending on the manufacturer.
ThankYouJerry
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2015 6:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Delete post

Last edited by ThankYouJerry on Sun Mar 29, 2015 8:31 pm; edited 1 time in total
noganav
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2015 8:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They are similar, but not the identical. Notice that Hodakaguy's panels are 4x9, 110w panels. Not sure where he found these, but that is the size you want to cover your roof perfectly. Renogy's and most others are 4x8, 100w. I've seen 4x10, 120W and 4x11 135w panels online, but I've never found the 4x9 ones like Hodakaguy used.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ThankYouJerry
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2015 8:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Indeed! Sharp eye noganav! I sent Hodakaguy a PM to see if he will post more info here.
Hodakaguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2015 8:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Guys. These panels are indeed 110W units and fit the width of the top perfectly. They were ordered directly from China from a friend, he had to buy a minimum order (I think 10 or 20 panels) to get them. I bought three panels from him.

I see they are available on Alibaba, you could probably set up a group buy and do a direct buy on them. The plus side is you can get them cheaper that way, downside is someone has to front the money for the order.

Hodakaguy

My Unimog Build: https://advrider.com/f/threads/meet-the-trotn-turtle-unimog-u1300l-build.1143869/

My Tacoma Builds: https://advrider.com/f/threads/hodakaguys-overland-tacoma-builds-on-to-new-adventures.1274770/

My 4wd Sprinter Build here:https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=9334401#9334401
Xtremjeepn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2015 5:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The thing I love about solar is that it's always charging without putting any thought or effort into it.

Seems like solar panels that have to be deployed don't fully take adavantage of solar.

They are essentially only charging when you remember to deploy them while setting up camp. They are not charging when you are at a trail head where you might be afraid of getting them stolen, or while you are in a restaurant eating , running into the store to get supplies, or sleeping in because you got into camp late and didn't go set them up the night before.

Also seems like the very space limited interior of a Vanagon would benefit form anything that can be mounted outside, no matter how small.

I could see the advantage of being able to remove them if you were camping in a hot spot and wanted to put the van in the shade and put the panels in the sun. The rest of the time I'd want them stored on the roof where they can do their magic!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Forthwithtx
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2015 7:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For a permanent installation, I keep thinking about how these panels might withstand a hail storm. One bad moment outside or on the road, and you could be out a bunch of money. Anyone have any experience with this?
DAV!D
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2015 8:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Forthwithtx wrote:
For a permanent installation, I keep thinking about how these panels might withstand a hail storm. One bad moment outside or on the road, and you could be out a bunch of money. Anyone have any experience with this?

Solar panels are built to be put on roofs, so they usually always have a hail rating. These do as well but not sure what it is. The biggest complaint I've seen about these bendable panels are if they are made too thin they get hot in the sun and cup. (the plastic shrinks a little causing the cell to form into a little bowl and this bowl will hold water/dust causing the panels to be less effective.)

This was an issue when these types of panels first came to the market across several manufacturers but I think they have solved the issue by making them a bit thicker. Not 100% but I think they did fix it.
benandmj
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2015 8:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Has anyone come up with any other non invasive ways to semipermanently mount these thin panels? Mine is stowed in the upper bunk but as I sit here and stare at my van parked in front of my house, I really wish the panel was mounted so the fridge could be on. I'd still like to be able to easily take the panel down and move it around when camping.
DAV!D
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2015 2:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

benandmj wrote:
Has anyone come up with any other non invasive ways to semipermanently mount these thin panels? Mine is stowed in the upper bunk but as I sit here and stare at my van parked in front of my house, I really wish the panel was mounted so the fridge could be on. I'd still like to be able to easily take the panel down and move it around when camping.

I haven't ordered mine yet, but I was thinking of using 3M VHB tape. I've seen people use that stuff to attach actual aluminum frame solar panels to RV roofs before. If they don't have problems, I'd suspect it would work fine for these light weight panels.

There are actually trailer companies whom use the VHB tapes to hold sheet metal to the sides on cargo trailers so they don't have all the screw holes.
DubNuts
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2015 6:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for all who approved of my Solar setup, I realize it's not everyone's cup of tea but, Hey it's just an idea that I had and it works for me so thought that I'd share it. Idea

These Thin Solar Panels are the same ones that are often used for Marine use Sailboats, Ocean going Yachts etc. They can be stepped on, and Salt water, and Weather resistant. They are built to standup to the elements.

They are conforming in shape and often are glued onto curved Decks.

Luckily Boats on the water don't have to deal with tree shadows or shade as our Vanagons do.

Perhaps not perfect for everyone's needs. Myself I didn't want to drill holes into my Top, as technology changes quickly, and for now this works for me. Besides even if I wanted to change the panel the rest of the charging system is already there just change the panel if you so chose when Solar technology changes.
But I truly believe that this solution is much more versatile and portable for my needs. In the event of change it leaves no holes to patch or fill in your Poptop as many other applications require. Plus it's portable enough to catch some rays regardless what side of your Camper the Suns shinning on, because your not limited to a fixed poptop install, and moving your camper often to catch better rays. In this case, Simply move the Panel.

If someone wanted to leave one of these deployed on there poptop while parked or stored. It would be easy enough to simply obtain some industrial strength Velco and apply about a 3 or 4" piece to the four corners.

I have also come up with a easy lock system, not overly secure but it will slow down the quick snatch thief from walking away with your Panel. But heck if a thief wants something there get it regardless how securely you mount it.

I'll post more Pics soon as I can get back on it..
PDXWesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2015 9:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

benandmj wrote:

The solution for me was to have two panels. I use a small 20 watt panel sitting in the luggage rack to provide a constant trickle charge and I have a portable 120 watt panel to take camping. It's hard to come up with a one size fits all solution, so sometimes two solutions work best. You can get a 20 watt solar panel these days for about $50. It's cheaper and less time consuming than trying to work out other complicated mounting solutions.

http://www.amazon.com/UPG-87501-20-Watt-Mono-Cryst...olar+panel
tim_ha
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2015 4:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought I would chime in and share my mounting solution as well as hail experience...

I have the same panels, though mine I bought on ebay as 90watt panels. I believe they are the same dimensions as the OP has. I have a unique set-up with my custom pop-top, but also didn't want to pop any holes in my van. For mounting, I found some stainless perforated base studs on McMaster-Carr that fit through the grommets on the solar panels and epoxied them to the wooden pop-top roof before I monstalinered it.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

The panels are connected in parallel and the cables run back along the rear roof rack down into the rear pillar. From there they pass forward around the gas tank (Syncro) and in through one of the holes left from the removed rear heater line where I located the charge controller and house battery.

One thing that I don't like about how I mounted the panels is that they tend to flap somewhat in the wind when driving at higher speeds or into a wind. On the other hand, the airflow keeps the panels cool and running at peak efficiency.

The setup worked incredible for the first 9 months of my trip! I never had to worry about plugging in and rarely even combined while driving to get some charge from the alternator. It was in a campground in Mendoza, Argentina that the hail storm hit. We quickly had golf ball sized hail pelting us. I figured that the panels should be ok. I was dead wrong. I have not seen more than about 60 watts total coming from both panels. For reference, the previous record that I saw was about 160 watts.

Looking at the damage, it is easy to see the dents. Most of the dents have some cracking of the plastic laminate on top of the cells. It is difficult to tell whether the silicone wafers are cracked or what exactly is causing the loss in output. I honestly have not had the time to thoroughly look into it or play with the panels. In the little bit of tinkering, I wonder if there aren't some sort of delimitation issues with the backing on the silicone wafers. We limped by for the last 3 months of our trip and will look into it and probably replace the panels when I get back home. I just stuffed the van into a container in Valparaiso, Chile and will pick it up in Galveston in about a month.

I would STRONGLY recommend that anyone with permanently mounted flexible panels have an emergency plan to cover the panels in case of hail.
vanagonjr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2015 6:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Posted 7/20/2014
tim_ha wrote:
I have two mono crystalline 90 watt panels on the top of my van. They have performed great for the last 4 months on the road. I am running a tf49 truckfridge, stereo, house led lights, fan when hot at night, charging computer, accessories. When there is good sun, I don't need the alternator at all. The max watts I have seen is about 150, with a curved installation matching the curve of the roof.

All around very happy, but haven't had any crazy hail or falling coconuts to test out durability.

Posted 4/9/2015
tim_ha wrote:
...It was in a campground in Mendoza, Argentina that the hail storm hit. We quickly had golf ball sized hail pelting us. I figured that the panels should be ok. I was dead wrong....
I would STRONGLY recommend that anyone with permanently mounted flexible panels have an emergency plan to cover the panels in case of hail.

Tim - sounds like you were a bit psychic in 2014 Laughing
LiMBO is on Facebook too! https://www.facebook.com/groups/
FAQ thread: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=525798
noganav
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2015 11:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Each panel is a 120W KingSolar from Amazon. Very high quality. I like them for a few reasons. The attachments are on the back, which makes for cleaner mounting. Also they are 9 x 4, which makes them the perfect width for the roof. The price fluctuates up and down a bit. I got both for $440 including shipping from Singapore which took a few weeks. http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00R8SMVC2

The panels mount to Thule tracks on the poptop. The Thule feet clear it so I can move the bars around if need be. I used expansion nuts as rubber feet to hold it up a little in the center, the whole thing is pretty low profile, sits about 3/4 inch up from the top of the poptop.

I made the frame out of aluminum strips (this picture is before I cleaned up the wiring joining the panels).

It's wired in series so that I could use just a single fuse between the panel and the controller. I got an Instapark MPPT, and put all the electrical the little cubby beside the water tank.
http://www.amazon.com/Instapark%C2%AE-MPPT-2010-Solar-Charge-Controller/dp/B00B11SSVA

It's protected by a blue sea switchable breaker mounted in the small cubby at the top of the back cabinet. The plug is an Aqua Signal. Each pin is capable of 16 amps so I split the current among 4 pins. The plug is very nice once it's all set up, but I wouldn't recommend it because it's extremely difficult to get the wires properly seated. It literally took hours. The panels are easily removable, secured by tamper proof screws. I'll make an extension cord for it once my fingers recover from putting the plug together.

It's currently making 38 volts in the California sun Very Happy

I've got a surepower 1314 combiner for automatic charging from the alternator. I'm going to add a bypass so I can manually combine the batteries and decide which battery provides power to all the interior accessories. I'll add a picture and description of that once it's all set up.
Benjabear
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2015 9:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello all,

1st post here... so go easy on me. Just picked up an '87 vanagon westy. I will be living/working out of it and looking for power source options. I will be powering an 80w-ish toshiba laptop, iphone 4, 4G internet card, and the famously inefficient original camper fridge

1) goal zero yeti 400 ... seems pricey and the Nomad 20 panel wouldnt be enough energy... am I correct?

2) flexible solar panels... looking at the Renogy marine 100w kit. Either keeping them detached or attaching to the topper with 3M VHS tape... scary Embarassed

What is the difference between the PWN, PWN-LCD, and MPPT controllers?

I am confused on the watts/amps... How big of an inverter do I need?

Any ideas on what deep cycle battery(ies) to use?

I am also confused on how to hook up the system to the fridge... again, go easy on me.

3) Any other options are very welcome!

Thanks!
kamzcab86
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2015 11:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Benjabear wrote:
I am also confused on how to hook up the system to the fridge... again, go easy on me.

In one word, don't. The Dometic sucks DC power like there's no tomorrow. While a really, really beefy solar setup may keep the system charged during the day, the battery could very well be dead by morning after the fridge has been on DC all night (I speak from experience, albeit with just a 28-hour battery). You'll want to run the Dometic on AC or propane when parked.

If you plan to install a more efficient electric fridge, wire it directly to the battery, or via a fuse panel. Wire the solar system to the battery via a charge controller. While I'm not using flexible panels, this is how my setup is wired, to give you an idea: http://oldbluesblog.com/files/ElectricalDiagram_Solar.pdf .

Benjabear wrote:
What is the difference between the PWN, PWN-LCD, and MPPT controllers?

Charge controller discussion here: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=530623 .

And welcome aboard. Smile
2016 Golf GTI S
"Real knowledge is to know the extent of one's ignorance." - 孔子
tjet Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2015 4:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Has anyone tried these Go Power flexible solar panels?

I'm interested in something like this that I can glue to my tintop roof (no screws) - & it will conform to the roof curve line.

http://gpelectric.com/products/solar-flex-kits-modules
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
DubNuts
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2015 5:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dude..
There the one's we'll already using.

That company's just marketing them as a Kit..

You'd probably be able to pick and buy your own parts and build it for cheap.

BTWyou mentioned glue them down, so if your looking to glue these down like they did in that RV video, I'd wouldn't go to nuts with the Siklfex etc because one day you just might want to remove or relocate it, and you may damage the panel trying to up it..

Good Luck

Last edited by DubNuts on Sun Jun 07, 2015 5:24 pm; edited 1 time in total
tjet Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2015 5:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dude,

I didn't know Renogy & Go Power were using the same panels

Last edited by tjet on Sun Jun 07, 2015 5:29 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: