Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

timing scale to cooling fan bolts clearance
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
airkooledchris
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2014 11:26 am    Post subject: timing scale to cooling fan bolts clearance Reply with quote

Is there a known cause for the cooling fan bolts to grind into the back of the timing scale?

Ive had to, previously, shim the cooling fan out away from the case on the center/top mounting bolt so it wouldn't grind up against the back of the timing scale.

My bus had AC on it, and after digging a bit I noticed that the thickness of the pulley behind the cooling fan was more than the spacer that usually sits here. I swapped in the spacer in place of the AC pulley and that seems to have bought me *just* enough space where it *might* not grind on the back of the timing scale - but it's so damned close im guessing it'll still end up shaving it a little.

I have one of those new metal timing scales so the first thing I did was check to see if they were both the same height - and they are. Both the new metal one and the replacement plastic one I had been running bumped into the cooling fan bolts at about the same point.

Perhaps the cooling fan housing itself can vary the height of that mounting point, enough where it sends the timing scale too deep towards the cooling fan?

Just wondering if others have had this same experience and what, if anything, they did about it.
Tcash
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2014 12:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grab a hold of the fan and push and pull on it. If there is noticeable play the crank shaft end play needs to be adjusted.
Good Luck
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2014 12:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fan shrouds that have had air conditioner compressors mounted sometimes get loose on the studs and sag.

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
airkooledchris
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2014 4:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ive had the fan shroud off and it's been cleaned and remounted since then. (which should take care of the loose issue, since it's been taken apart and put back together - then mounted back to the motor?)

no noticeable play in the fan when you pull/push it.

I'll try and grab some photo's when I get a chance. I think I have a spare fan housing as well, and can try measuring the height of that top/center mounting point for the scale.
aeromech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2014 5:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I recently worked on a T4 and had the fan off along with the fan housing. Behind the fan lives the pulley for a/c and it acts as a shim. I purchased the aluminum timing scale from Bus Depot and aside from the fact that I had to enlarge the two mounting holes to accommodate the 6mm mounting bolts it seems to fit fine. Busdaddy, do you recognize the fan?

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Boeing 727,737-200-300-400,757,767
Airbus A319,320,321
DC9/MD80
BAe146
Fokker F28/F100
VW type 1 1962,63,65,69,72
VW Type 2 1971 (3 ea.) 1978, 1969
VW Jetta
VW Passat
Capable of leaping tall buildings in a single bound
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
airkooledchris
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2014 9:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Both cooling fans have the same mounting depth for that top/center bolt, so I don't think that's an issue.

Maybe ill just take the cutoff wheel on my dremel and shave down the long bolts on the cooling fan:

gleason
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2017 6:25 am    Post subject: Re: timing scale to cooling fan bolts clearance Reply with quote

Bringing and old post back to top. I have a CJ type 4 2.0 that we just rebuilt the top end on. I also am having an issue with the bolts for the fan such as he shows above and it hits my timing scale. If I shorten these to the back side of the nut, will that throw my balance off? It seems to be running very true using my eyecrometer, but I'm not able to time it accurately. Everything went back together as dissassemble, but that donor engine DIDN'T have a scale on it. Any input? Busdaddy? I might try to put a couple washers on the back of the scale to pull it away but would rather fix it right. Thanks
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2017 3:50 pm    Post subject: Re: timing scale to cooling fan bolts clearance Reply with quote

Can't say why this is happening, but you could either shim the scale out of use a Dremil and shorten all the bolts the same amount. I have found that when dealing with something like this, if you grind on all the bolts for the same length of time you will not effect the balance
gleason
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2017 4:06 pm    Post subject: Re: timing scale to cooling fan bolts clearance Reply with quote

I loctited 2 6mm washers (one on each side of scale) and installed it. No more rubbing! Thanks
lil-jinx
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2017 4:17 am    Post subject: Re: timing scale to cooling fan bolts clearance Reply with quote

How dare you,fixing things the simple way,you go back and remove that fan replace the bolts with shorter ones and get that fan balanced.2 washer and 10 minuets work,you should have worked on it for a least 3 days and a $100 in parts.
;Nelson
1968 Dune Buggy
1974 parts bus
A smart man learns from his mistakes,a very smart man learns from other's mistakes.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: