Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

74 Bus Door Buzzer
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
dr8track
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2021 7:17 pm    Post subject: 74 Bus Door Buzzer Reply with quote

Once upon a time, for a fleeting moment, my door buzzer worked. I'm trying to recall its purpose. It's ignition based right? VS a sensor in the seat belt wanting you to buckle up? Is it's original intention to warn you when the door opens that the key is in the ignition?
Where would you begin to troubleshoot this? Is it fused based, relay based, something toi do with the door dome light button?

Also, I seem to remember some alternate uses owneers have come up with for that circuit?
Brian
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2021 7:30 pm    Post subject: Re: 74 Bus Door Buzzer Reply with quote

pretty sure its to tell you that the key is still in the ignition when the door opens.

I'd start chasing wires and cleaning grounds
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

'69 Bug
'68 Baja Truck
'71 Bug
'68 Camper

Only losers litter
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
sjbartnik
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2021 8:02 pm    Post subject: Re: 74 Bus Door Buzzer Reply with quote

Yeah it is very straightforward, the buzzer is a relay. It gets hot power all the time if memory serves and then, if the key is in the ignition AND the driver's door switch is closed (door open) then that completes the ground path for the relay and it buzzes.

It has nothing to do with seat belts. It is just the Bus say "hey idiot you left the key in the ignition!" as you get out.
sjbartnik
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2021 8:05 pm    Post subject: Re: 74 Bus Door Buzzer Reply with quote

If you can figure out how to do what this guy did, you will have advanced mankind.

Link

71whitewesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2021 9:22 pm    Post subject: Re: 74 Bus Door Buzzer Reply with quote

The buzzer still works on my 71. It buzzes when the door is open and the key is on. It does not buzz with the key just in the cylinder but it does buzz once the key is pushed inward to start it.
So when you turn it off, you just need to pull the key out enough to pull the cylinder out and it will stop buzzing, but you can still leave the key in the ignition without buzzing with the door open. Very Happy
1969 Tucker Sno cat 542
2017 VW Alltrac
71 tin top stock 1600 DP (project but runs)
Twin 71 White Westy, Bus 2, that I pulled from a 15 year slumber in a dry eastern WA field in 2015.
1966 Sundial Camper "Boomer"
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Jetfxr69
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2021 4:38 am    Post subject: Re: 74 Bus Door Buzzer Reply with quote

The circuit is made when the key is all the way in, depressing a spring loaded switch at the bottom of the ignition switch. One of the mods you speak of is to use this circuit to power a stereo, therefore not needing the ignition on ( and frying points), or hot wiring it from bat bus ( and forgetting to turn off).

I could care less about a door buzzer. If you cant figure out that a 45 year old bus door is open, without having a buzzer remind you, than youve got bigger problems.

As long as the key is in the ignition, my stereo is powered up. My only problem with that is that I leave all the keys to my cars in their ignitions all the time ( so i dont loose them). I have to remember to pull the bus key now.

‘77 westy Seamus
‘76 tintop Crusher
‘77 westy The Judge
‘72 tintop bastard westy Hudson
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mcdonaldneal
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2021 12:27 am    Post subject: Re: 74 Bus Door Buzzer Reply with quote

I’ve adapted my wiring so that the buzzer goes off if I open the door with the lights on- saves me from a flat battery!
I think I just changed the power for the buzzer relay to link to the sidelight power feed.

Stop dead photo links! Post photos to The Samba Gallery!
dr8track
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2021 6:49 pm    Post subject: Re: 74 Bus Door Buzzer Reply with quote

I like the key turns on the stereo options. I'm going to explore that.
vwwestyman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2021 10:09 pm    Post subject: Re: 74 Bus Door Buzzer Reply with quote

sjbartnik wrote:
If you can figure out how to do what this guy did, you will have advanced mankind.

Link

Here's how some guy did it in his wife's Subaru. And it plays other songs too!

https://imgur.com/a/23ayG61

President, Wild Westerner Club

1978 Champagne Edition Westy, repowered to '97 Jetta TDI
1973 Wild Westerner
My Thing
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: