Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Trouble finding specifics on Carb..( I searched)
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
OB Bus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2015 3:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

busdaddy wrote:
khalimadeath wrote:
Im about ready to just buy a new damn carb lol.

Brand new likely won't be any improvement over your current one and probably just adds a whole new set of issues. Buy a rebuilt German carb from Volkzbitz, almost the same price but it actually works right out of the box. And team it up with the correct distributor, you'll wonder how you put up with the way it ran before.

It may not solve all of your problems, but it seems that your issue is the carb. Please consider Busdaddy's advice, get a rebuilt German Solex from Volkzbitz, and, if you still have problems, they won't be carb connected.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
khalimadeath
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2015 3:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well there are brand new jets in it, I dont know what jets were where. I suppose a jet could be clogged, it ran fine before I parked it 6 months ago to do the brakes and suspension. How would I go about cleaning it? I dont know much about carbs, my roommate is the one who took it apart.

And no I dont have any other distributers, this is the one it came with.

Also how would I check to see if the jet is spraying?
OB Bus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2015 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My last post and your last post hit at the same time.
Your roommate rebuilt the carb? **sigh**

Stop the bleeding and the frustration. Tim@Volkzbitz
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
khalimadeath
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2015 3:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OB Bus wrote:

Yea im a fuel injected guy, this is my first carbureted vehicle. I prefer wires and multimeters. I have rebuilt my lawn mower so I get it.. I just dont want to deal with it. Nor do I want to spend hundreds of $$$ on a different distributor or another carb even though I know it would save me the headache.
wcfvw69 Premium Member
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2015 5:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

khalimadeath wrote:
OB Bus wrote:

Yea im a fuel injected guy, this is my first carbureted vehicle. I prefer wires and multimeters. I have rebuilt my lawn mower so I get it.. I just dont want to deal with it. Nor do I want to spend hundreds of $$$ on a different distributor or another carb even though I know it would save me the headache.

I'll just say that with some research on going thru that carb, you can get go thru it yourself, blow out the jets and passages and insure all the jets are in the right place and everything else is correctly set.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/search.php?search..._chars=200

Here's over 200 threads on that carb w/different themes. If you read thru them, you'll learn how that carb works, what goes where and how to dial it in. The fact that you said the carb worked before says there's nothing wrong with it other than someone needs to go back thru it.

Yes, buying a Volksbiz carb is a quick solution, but.. what happens the next time you need to play with that carb? If you want to throw $200 at it for ease vs. learning to fix it, that's your choice. Very Happy

Decades of VW and VW parts restoration experience.
The Samba member since 2004.

**Now rebuilding throttle bodies for VW's and Porsche's**
**Restored German Bosch distributors for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored German Pierburg fuel pumps for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche fuel pumps or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche distributors or I can restore yours**
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2015 5:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wcfvw69 wrote:
Yes, buying a Volkzbitz carb is a quick solution, but.. what happens the next time you need to play with that carb? If you want to throw $200 at it for ease vs. learning to fix it, that's your choice. Very Happy

Agreed, so much better to understand what's going on in there in the event you have to fix it, but the OP was threatening to buy a "new" carb, that's just $200 down the toilet, at least you know Tim's carb will work properly.

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
VolkzBitz Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2015 8:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If its not your daily driver, send the carb to me and Ill check it out for you without doing a full restore like I normally do. This carb shouldn't be causing so many problems for you, they are generally a good reliable carb, but if your friend took it apart and put something back wrong, then it could be a simple job. I can always test it on my Ghia to make sure its good.

Der Vergaser Meister
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
wcfvw69 Premium Member
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2015 9:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

busdaddy wrote:
OP was threatening to buy a "new" carb, that's just $200 down the toilet, at least you know Tim's carb will work properly.

I totally agree with you Bus Daddy! I'd buy Tim's rebuilt carbs ANYDAY over the new carbs sold today.

OP, what a terrific offer from Tim to check that carb out for you! Take him up on it! I'm sure it's something silly wrong with it. With Tim's experience, he'll have it purring quickly.

Decades of VW and VW parts restoration experience.
The Samba member since 2004.

**Now rebuilding throttle bodies for VW's and Porsche's**
**Restored German Bosch distributors for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored German Pierburg fuel pumps for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche fuel pumps or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche distributors or I can restore yours**
khalimadeath
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2015 9:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

VolkzBitz wrote:
If its not your daily driver, send the carb to me and Ill check it out for you without doing a full restore like I normally do. This carb shouldn't be causing so many problems for you, they are generally a good reliable carb, but if your friend took it apart and put something back wrong, then it could be a simple job. I can always test it on my Ghia to make sure its good.

Its my long term project, ive only been able to drive it once in the 2 years i've owned it :/. So Ill take it off, clean it and check the jets. If I dont have any luck ill take you up on your offer. Thanks!!
khalimadeath
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2016 7:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Trouble finding specifics on Carb..( I searched) Reply with quote

SO! I pulled the carb, cleaned it drained the 6 M/O gas and reassembled. Re static timed. I also found a port on the intake manifold that was open, I went ahead and plugged it. Checked all the plug wires for correctness and put in fresh gas. Ran like a champ. Drove it around the block no problems. Its one way to kick my ass in gear to get it ready for camping!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: