Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Type 4 engine rebuild: take 3
Page: 1, 2, 3 ... 35, 36, 37  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
orwell84
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2014 10:01 am    Post subject: Type 4 engine rebuild: take 3 Reply with quote

Type 4 engine single relief case, oil pump worked before rebuild., disassembled cleaned packed with vasoline. checked relief valve when assembling engine, filled the oil filter and yes the crankcase. Cranking without plugs would not turn off op but got a little oil in valve covers...started the engine briefly twice, ran it less than 30 sec each time...no luck. tried with vdo gauge...needle barely moved. Not sure what to do now other thsn nit start the engine again. Only big change in the engine is hss a new webcam cam...stock grind. Thanks very much for the help. I'm really stuck.
aeromech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2014 10:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

New cam and same oil pump. Not sure about T4 engines but on T1's some cams have dished cam gears and others have flat cam gears. The pump needs to match the type of gear you have. The dished type has a longer drive tang to engage the cam gear. Recently I made myself a mechanical oil pressure gauge. It's fitted to the left rear rubber brake hose which has female on one end and male on the other. The thread is 10m x 1.0 which screws directly into the case where the oil switch goes normally.
Boeing 727,737-200-300-400,757,767
Airbus A319,320,321
DC9/MD80
BAe146
Fokker F28/F100
VW type 1 1962,63,65,69,72
VW Type 2 1971 (3 ea.) 1978, 1969
VW Jetta
VW Passat
Capable of leaping tall buildings in a single bound
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
orwell84
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2014 3:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The oil pump is not working, but we have been able to get it out. Have done all the usual things to remove the pump, except remove the engine and split the case. We are now trying to remove it in pieces. It's gotten very ugly. Any suggestions? Thanks for the help.
aerosurfer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2014 4:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Loosen the case bolts (nuts actually) above and below the oil pump will help it slide out. Otherwise we need pics to see how mangled you have it now

77 Westy 2.0L Rockin and Rolling Resto!

72 Sportsmobile (sold)
79 Tran$porter... Parts car money machine (gone)
timvw7476
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2014 5:08 pm    Post subject: Rebuilt engine-starts but no oilpressure Reply with quote

you are scaring me with these terms you are using-if you have the "ears"
left on the factory pump, the best pry-point is found when you pull
the rear mounts, held on each side by two bolts, and use the bosses
cast into the case to GENTLY pry at both sides of pump- a little propane
can help too, on both sides
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2014 5:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

orwell84 wrote:
We are now trying to remove it in pieces. It's gotten very ugly. .

Sounds scary, any pictures?

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
aeromech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2014 5:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You must have seen something before you tried removing the pump body. Even a slap worn out pump would produce some kind of pressure unless the gears were'
t turning.
Boeing 727,737-200-300-400,757,767
Airbus A319,320,321
DC9/MD80
BAe146
Fokker F28/F100
VW type 1 1962,63,65,69,72
VW Type 2 1971 (3 ea.) 1978, 1969
VW Jetta
VW Passat
Capable of leaping tall buildings in a single bound
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2014 6:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just how "packed" with vaseline was this pump?, getting all the gears wet is one thing but jamming it solid could prevent it from priming or being able to expel the blob in the outlet.

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2014 6:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you got some oil showing up in the valve covers and "tried with vdo gauge...needle barely moved" then you must be getting some oil flow through the pump. Sure you have the relief valve and spring installed correctly? Sounds like you might be dumping your oil straight back to the sump.
orwell84
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2014 6:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The outer cover of the pump is broken out enough so that the gears and shaft could be removed. No oil in the pump, just vaseline which was quite liquid because we tried heating the pump with a hairdryer to liquify the vaseline because we suspected it was overly packed. still won't come out even with the above suggestions. Thought of tapping the hole where the the pump drive shaft was, putting a bolt in it and putting some kind of puller on it.Yeah, it's an ugly mess...I just want to get the thing out. Obviously, I will need a new pump.
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2014 11:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have always wondered about the "fill it with vasoline" mentality. Confused
Kiptere
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2014 11:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't get the vasoline thing, either. Why would you do that?
70 Bug Vert
airschooled
Air-Schooled

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2014 11:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think Wilson mentiones filling the pump with vaseline to create healthy suction for oil pressure building before first break in startup.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
timvw7476
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2014 11:51 am    Post subject: Rebuilt engine-starts but no oil pressure Reply with quote

if you have the gear set out, is there any way you can use classic
type 1 oil puller, the one with the T bar that engages the oil channels in
the pump body & tugs it out using a C shaped brace?
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2014 12:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kiptere wrote:
I don't get the vasoline thing, either. Why would you do that?

Because it works...and has done so long before any of us were born. Its also not really necessary as most have found over the years...if you are assembling and starting right away or if you use a little due diligence and prime the oil system.

Vaseline was used because its pretty much soluble in virtually any oil type and has...and this is most important.....a melt point of about 100F. It turns to liquid between 98 and about 110 max and will not foul ports and gears.

It can be left in an assembled engine oil pump and shelved for a log time and not run off the gears unless the storage area gets over 100F.

For those who work in labs...we use an expensive silicone version of Vaseline called "high vacuum grease" for the same purpose....so fill pores and make a seal so suction/vacuum can be easily created without leakage. Its used on pump cylinders, gears pneumatic cylinders etc. Vacuum grease also comes in high temperature/high drop point versions.

So why do you need something thicker than oil like Vaseline?

Because at low starting rpm...with something like Vaseline....if the pump does not have enough efficiency to move that out of the way...then it probably is not that efficient of a pump and should have something slightly thicker in it to help seal it until it heats up and has better tolerances.

In reality our oil pumps....and most gear type oil pumps...are not that efficient really. Lots of open space and pumping losses.

For those about to say that you have never had a problem with priming an oil pump......just do a search. Hundreds on these forums have and its a common problem on many an engine (not just acvw) and can depend on pump design, pump build tolerance, whats upstream for passages than can become air locked etc.

Also....you don't PACK the pump. You just generally lube it up enough to seal the edges of the gears until oil can get circulating. If you block the ports...the viscosity is high enough that the pump cannot pull oil past it.

I have not used vaseline since my first two engine builds....and it worked fine for those. I prime the pump with oil, pull the plugs and crank until I see pressure.....and do not trust the idiot light. Ray
blue77bay
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2014 4:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

orwell84 wrote:
The outer cover of the pump is broken out enough so that the gears and shaft could be removed. No oil in the pump, just vaseline which was quite liquid because we tried heating the pump with a hairdryer to liquify the vaseline because we suspected it was overly packed. still won't come out even with the above suggestions. Thought of tapping the hole where the the pump drive shaft was, putting a bolt in it and putting some kind of puller on it.Yeah, it's an ugly mess...I just want to get the thing out. Obviously, I will need a new pump.
Which pump have you used ,clearly its not a T4 pump as it cannot be broken down from the outside ,it sounds as tho you have used one of the T1 pumps and not checked for tang engagement when assembling .T1 pumps work in T4's but you need the correct one and usually need to adjust the tang length as well and also "o" ring as well because they are generally too small in od to fit correctly which may also be a part of the problem ,while it was apart did you check the pick up tube ? So many Q's ,how about some pics
timvw7476
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2014 11:47 am    Post subject: Rebuilt engine-starts but no oil pressure Reply with quote

that's the oddity here-i fear they are breaking down a T4 pump,from the
outside in. this IS the samba site so....would love some images of how
this project is faring,gonna get brutal Surprised
orwell84
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2014 6:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It was brutal but the pump is out. Any recommendations for a new pump. I have heard the Shadek 26mm for type 4 is a good choice, but am able to find pne availabe. There is also the pump sold by Bus Depot but no idea who makes it. btw I think the pump wasbtoo packed with vaseline to prime. the tang did engage the camshaft properly. What should I choose for an oil pump?

Thanks very much for the help.
orwell84
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2014 8:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It was brutal but the pump is out. Any recommendations for a new pump. I have heard the Shadek 26mm for type 4 is a good choice, but am able to find pne availabe. There is also the pump sold by Bus Depot but no idea who makes it. btw I think the pump wasbtoo packed with vaseline to prime. the tang did engage the camshaft properly. What should I choose for an oil pump?

Thanks very much for the help.
WhirledTraveller
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2014 8:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oil pump selection on a T4 is not a simple matter.

26mm and 30mm Shadek pumps which are made for T1 engines can work but they require that you check the clearance with the cam bolts carefully and probably will require that you shave a bit of metal off the back of the pump and adjust the length of the drive tang shaft with a press or vice. They also have a tendency to fit a little loose in the case and you should also carefully check and if necessary adjust the end clearance with the cover.

30mm Melling pumps are made for the T4 and will drop in and are reported to build good pressure. Not a bad choice although some feel that the iron pumps are not a good choice for an aluminum case due to differential expansion.

Many will say the best pump is the original 26mm pump. Not available new and difficult to find someone to rebuild them. I happen to have a rebuilt one from EVWparts which I never used which I would be willing to part with, PM me.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3 ... 35, 36, 37  Next
Jump to:
Page 1 of 37

Jump to: