Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Type 4 engine rebuild: take 3
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 28, 29, 30 ... 35, 36, 37  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
RWK
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2021 8:43 am    Post subject: Re: Type 4 engine rebuild: take 3 Reply with quote

No, you have to drill it larger so it does not move into the lifter hole, it shouldn't because pressure will push it away, but I would feel better if it didn't move.
Sorry, hole is 10mm you could use 11mm- 7/16 plug.
Alternately you could tap 1/4 npt past the rod hole,7/16 drill or 1/4 pipe reamer and put in a 1/4 NPT plug, if you already have the 3/8 NPT hole, that should guide a 1/4 npt pipe reamer and tap perfectly, you can do all by hand.
Any machine job shop or tool and die could do very easy also, 5 minute cut, half hour set up. Hole has to be reamed or the Oring won't seal, if you choose that method. IMHO the amount of threads that one has in that situ is not enough, you may get lucky maybe not, really not anyway to test before assembly.
62 Type 241-378 025 178 530
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
orwell84
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2021 10:00 am    Post subject: Re: Type 4 engine rebuild: take 3 Reply with quote

Ok, I think I get it now.

The o-ring plug is not the best option because it wont let the gallery plug thread deep enough.

You are suggesting ream and tap the end of the oil gallery. Put in 1/4 npt plug. The put in the 3/8 plug in the original gallery plug hole.

OR

Tap each end of the 10mm pushrod bore either 11mm or 7/16 tap and put in an 11mm or 7/16 plug, grub screw whatever...

Tapping each end of the pushrod bore seems like it would be the easiest.

Thank you
RWK
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2021 11:50 am    Post subject: Re: Type 4 engine rebuild: take 3 Reply with quote

Here is a quick sketch, you can see you have plenty of room past bushing hole to plug or tap, If you have a 1/4 npt tap and reamer you can do it!
As far as tapping bushing hole,you can use a cover plate and gasket on pump side, don't see a need for anything on cam side if you block oil galley, and leakage will go to sump with spent cam oil.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2021 11:51 am    Post subject: Re: Type 4 engine rebuild: take 3 Reply with quote

orwell84 wrote:
Ok, I think I get it now.

The o-ring plug is not the best option because it wont let the gallery plug thread deep enough.

You are suggesting ream and tap the end of the oil gallery. Put in 1/4 npt plug. The put in the 3/8 plug in the original gallery plug hole.

OR

Tap each end of the 10mm pushrod bore either 11mm or 7/16 tap and put in an 11mm or 7/16 plug, grub screw whatever...

Tapping each end of the pushrod bore seems like it would be the easiest.

Thank you

The grub screw or set screw has been used many times to plug that inner hole leaking into the case...but since it has to be nearly flush with the case wall to allow the threaded gallery plug to protrude far enough in.....the set screw/grub screw does bot have much threads holding it in.

Another way that is worth exploring....is to ....as you have noted....tap the outer end of the pushrod guide hole where it enters the case for 11mm or 7/16"....then tap the inner hole for that same size.

Then put a steel plate and seal over the the pump boss on the outside. Then get a bolt long enough to go through from the outside...making up oil tight against the steel plate.....thread it all the way through the case wall into the inner threads where you tapped all the way through the case and into the camshaft area.

Then reach through the gallery plug hole from the back with a scribe or dye...or both...and mark whatever threads of the bolt you can see.

Remove that 7/16" bolt. Chuck it into a lathe or a drill press....and reduce the diameter where it was marked down to say....3/16" diameter. In a drill press...you could do this with a combination of good files and an angle grinder.

In the end it should look something like this:

That gap in the middle will allow the gallery plug to thread inward into the gap in the center of the bolt. This should be plenty of gallery plug threads. And...it will lock that bolt in and prevent it from coming out unless the gallery plug is also removed.

Ray
orwell84
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2021 5:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Type 4 engine rebuild: take 3 Reply with quote

Thanks. I actually understood both responses.

I think I was confused by the npt measurements.

M11 is kind of an oddball size and actually dont have a hand reamer or an non metric taps.

I may just farm this one out.
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2021 7:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Type 4 engine rebuild: take 3 Reply with quote

orwell84 wrote:

M11 is kind of an oddball size and actually dont have a hand reamer or an non metric taps.

Any size bolt that you can make threads for and get a tap for would work. You could use fine thread 7/16"-20. You can get the tap at Mcmaster Carr for $13-ish and probably the bolt as well.
Ray
orwell84
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2021 8:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Type 4 engine rebuild: take 3 Reply with quote

raygreenwood wrote:
orwell84 wrote:

Any size bolt that you can make threads for and get a tap for would work. You could use fine thread 7/16"-20. You can get the tap at Mcmaster Carr for $13-ish and probably the bolt as well.

Ray

I actually thought of something like that at some point like notching a bolt so that a plug would go past it and maybe even hold it in place without tapping.

I have never really drilled and tapped much of anything, just steel and stuff that didnt matter. I would love to learn but not quite feeling up to it at this point in the project. I like the idea of plugging the lifter gallery with a 1/4 plug behind the plug on the outside of the case, but I might have a machinist do it. I will give it a think.
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2021 7:33 am    Post subject: Re: Type 4 engine rebuild: take 3 Reply with quote

orwell84 wrote:
raygreenwood wrote:
orwell84 wrote:

Ray

The problem I see with the plug behind the plug described here in this thread.....is I dont see how to positively keep it from moving. It also employs an o-ring as a seal. That means it has a lifespan.....but I agree with the concept.

An almost similar way to work this.....if you are going to remove the fuel pump pushrod tube altogether..... is to tap and re-tap....deep.....for the gallery plug..... grinding the tap several tines which is standard practice....and.....as I showed in my 1.8L build thread.....measure the tap each time you get to a stop depth and then grind until it matches the diameter on the side of the gallery plug.

You tap up to and slightly past the pushrod tube hole. Then instead or a plug.....screw in a pipe nipple tube until it covers the pushrod hole. Then cut the nipple off flush with the case on the outside after you locktight it in. Then tap the ID of the nipple for the ndxt smaller size plug down. Ray

I actually thought of something like that at some point like notching a bolt so that a plug would go past it and maybe even hold it in place without tapping.

I have never really drilled and tapped much of anything, just steel and stuff that didnt matter. I would love to learn but not quite feeling up to it at this point in the project. I like the idea of plugging the lifter gallery with a 1/4 plug behind the plug on the outside of the case, but I might have a machinist do it. I will give it a think.
orwell84
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2021 3:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Type 4 engine rebuild: take 3 Reply with quote

I decided to tap each end of the oil pump pushrod bore with a 7/16-20 tap and put in 1/2 long set screws at each end. Im going to screw them in with loctite 271. This should plug the lifter oil gallery. I cant see how it could cause any problems. Its probably the easiest way as its just straight tapping. I couldnt find 7/16 set screws anywhere locally but McMaster Carr had them. Wish me luck with my tapping.
orwell84
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2021 9:36 am    Post subject: Re: Type 4 engine rebuild: take 3 Reply with quote

Ok, I think so got this figured out. Definitely going to plug the cam side of the pushrod bore with a 7/16 set screw. It should be easy to tap.

The fuel pump side of the pushrod bore is different. Its quite deep and a larger diameter, 12mm. It is hard to fit a tap in there. There is a step where the bore narrows.

I came up with this idea based on Raygreenwoods drawing of the modified bolt.

I could use almost anything that was the right size to fit the hole in the fuel pump boss, a 2 piece of rod, a bolt shank, a stud etc. I could tap threads into the pump cover and secure the bolt with that. Or I could just use the cover plate to hold the bolt in place.

Even if it the oil gallery leaks a bit past the bolt, it would end up going to the sump. From what I have read there is not a lot of pressure at the end of the oil gallery. The bronze push rod tube doesnt seem to be that much of a restriction since it only partially blocks the end of the oil gallery.
RWK
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2021 8:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Type 4 engine rebuild: take 3 Reply with quote

Why not just tap the cam galley as discussed before, less work more positive results. Put a cover plate and gasket on fuel pump side, nothing needed on cam side, I can loan you the 1/4 npt reamer and tap if you don't have.
orwell84
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2021 5:04 am    Post subject: Re: Type 4 engine rebuild: take 3 Reply with quote

RWK wrote:
Why not just tap the cam galley as discussed before, less work more positive results. Put a cover plate and gasket on fuel pump side, nothing needed on cam side, I can loan you the 1/4 npt reamer and tap if you don't have.

Thats really nice of you to offer. Thank you.

Actually I wasnt sure which reamer and tap to get. Could you point me in the right direction on a site like McMaster Carr? Also Im afraid to screw it up.

https://www.mcmaster.com/hand-reamers/

Thanks
orwell84
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2021 3:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Type 4 engine rebuild: take 3 Reply with quote

I tried tapping the case with what I had on hand. Looks like it should work. Figured if I botched it I could always do the second gallery plug.

Fuel pump side:

I just need an M12 set screw.

Cam side:

I used a 7/16” set screw. I think it will work ok.
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2021 5:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Type 4 engine rebuild: take 3 Reply with quote

Nice work!

The reason I do not like just using plugs.....I would rather use a complete bolt with a reduced cross section in the middle.....just like both of our sketches......is because you will need to peen slightly around that set screw/plug on the cam journal side to prevent it from EVER moving forward/inward and contacting the cam. Yes....I spoke to someone years ago that this happened to. Destroyed the cam and dumped his oil pressure on hiw 914.
How much do you REALLY trust locktight? I really trust it on something that I can also torque down TIGHT in the first place.

But if you tapped that hole from the cam side and did not tap all the way through to the gallery....so you can make it up tight....and then peen it on the cam side so its forever captured PHYSICALLY.....then you are good.

If you tapped the pug hole all the way tjrough to the gallery.....peen the cam side....and reach through from the outside with a long skinny punch and peen the inside too.

Ray
orwell84
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2021 5:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Type 4 engine rebuild: take 3 Reply with quote

I tapped almost to the gallery...basically the length of the tap thread so I can bury it pretty far from the cam. But yeah, it doesnt bite like a pipe plug.

A set screw backing out that far seems highly unlikely. One would have to be cosmically unlucky to encounter this possibility.

All the same, the thought crossed my mind and I pictured exactly what you described even before reading your last post. So yes, I will be peening it every which way.
RWK
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 13, 2021 5:50 am    Post subject: Re: Type 4 engine rebuild: take 3 Reply with quote

https://www.mcmaster.com/8798A12/
https://www.mcmaster.com/2538A32/
You can use a short/std. tap also. Shank dia. (.562) on the ones I have here are the same as the tap dia. of the tap drill size that was used to make your larger 3/8 galley plug tap, so it will provide straight alignment with the existing hole,making hand reaming and tapping accurate, as you can see from the dims. the reamer small end is just about the dia. of the galley hole so you will be able to cut and enlarge the hole without drilling.
The short std. tap will limit your thread depth, why I show the long tap, however the long taps sometimes have a smaller shank, best to know what size shank, surprised Mc carr doesn't state it, but its an industry std. .562.
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 13, 2021 7:34 am    Post subject: Re: Type 4 engine rebuild: take 3 Reply with quote

orwell84 wrote:
I tapped almost to the gallery...basically the length of the tap thread so I can bury it pretty far from the cam. But yeah, it doesnt bite like a pipe plug.

A set screw backing out that far seems highly unlikely. One would have to be cosmically unlucky to encounter this possibility.

All the same, the thought crossed my mind and I pictured exactly what you described even before reading your last post. So yes, I will be peening it every which way.

Excellent!
Ray
orwell84
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 13, 2021 11:51 am    Post subject: Re: Type 4 engine rebuild: take 3 Reply with quote

RWK wrote:
https://www.mcmaster.com/8798A12/
https://www.mcmaster.com/2538A32/
You can use a short/std. tap also. Shank dia. (.562) on the ones I have here are the same as the tap dia. of the tap drill size that was used to make your larger 3/8 galley plug tap, so it will provide straight alignment with the existing hole,making hand reaming and tapping accurate, as you can see from the dims. the reamer small end is just about the dia. of the galley hole so you will be able to cut and enlarge the hole without drilling.
The short std. tap will limit your thread depth, why I show the long tap, however the long taps sometimes have a smaller shank, best to know what size shank, surprised Mc carr doesn't state it, but its an industry std. .562.

Thank you. I really appreciate that. One thing I noticed in looking at your diagram is that on my case, when EMW drilled and tapped it they went pretty deep. They drilled way past the fuel rod bore and tapped a bit past it too. Wouldnt it be possible to just put in a longer 3/8 plug. I could also tap the threads for the 3/8 plug a little deeper because the hole has already been drilled.
RWK
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2021 7:00 am    Post subject: Re: Type 4 engine rebuild: take 3 Reply with quote

Guess it depends on how deep they drilled, based on my quick measurement you can tap (for 1/4 npt) up to 50mm deep before you get too close to lifter bore, I would not go deeper with 3/8 tap there may not be enough wall stock deeper in, idk, the boss on the outside IS big enough for 3/8. VW cast it so they could put there style plug there.
If your tap drilled hole is deeper then 25-30 mm then you could go deeper with tap and seal PAST the rod bore, but then you will lose your sealing at the outside, ( tap will oversize it there because it's taper gets larger as you go deeper) pipe taper sealing usually takes place on only a portion of the plugs length depending on how it was tapped.
I would say if they drilled it too deep you cannot go the 1/4 npt route, and leave it as it is.
I have used green sleeve retainer (the hi temp one) locktite to seal pipe plugs, fills the voids created by less then desirable tapping conditions, i.e hand drilled inaccurate holes, crooked tapping, unable to apply enough torque, ect. most of the teflon sealers will reduce friction allowing plug to over torque sometimes cracking the weak cast case.
orwell84
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2021 4:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Type 4 engine rebuild: take 3 Reply with quote

RWK wrote:
Guess it depends on how deep they drilled, based on my quick measurement you can tap (for 1/4 npt) up to 50mm deep before you get too close to lifter bore, I would not go deeper with 3/8 tap there may not be enough wall stock deeper in, idk, the boss on the outside IS big enough for 3/8. VW cast it so they could put there style plug there.
If your tap drilled hole is deeper then 25-30 mm then you could go deeper with tap and seal PAST the rod bore, but then you will lose your sealing at the outside, ( tap will oversize it there because it's taper gets larger as you go deeper) pipe taper sealing usually takes place on only a portion of the plugs length depending on how it was tapped.
I would say if they drilled it too deep you cannot go the 1/4 npt route, and leave it as it is.
I have used green sleeve retainer (the hi temp one) locktite to seal pipe plugs, fills the voids created by less then desirable tapping conditions, i.e hand drilled inaccurate holes, crooked tapping, unable to apply enough torque, ect. most of the teflon sealers will reduce friction allowing plug to over torque sometimes cracking the weak cast case.

Ok thank you. I figured there was a reason they only tapped so far. I get it. Pipe taps are short and tapered.

I think Im good with what Ive worked out so far. I will just have to make sure I peen so the set screw cant back out. The 3/8 gallery plug is a good fit. Thanks for the tip on the sleeve retainer.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 28, 29, 30 ... 35, 36, 37  Next
Jump to:
Page 29 of 37

Jump to: