Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

i think my coil died. now my cars on the side of the road!
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
humfrydog
Trained Attack Dog

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2003 9:38 am    Post subject: i think my coil died. now my cars on the side of the road! Reply with quote

driving home and i turned a corner. as i started up a slight hill and was in 4th gear. the motor stuttered then died.checked fuel level low but ok. oil level good no metal.coil very warm.checked connections, ok. tried restarting. it started proceeded over hill and down the other side. just after,. getting into fourth stuttered and died.put in third and tried restarting with trans. no luck. checked everthing again. still looked ok. coil felt hot.sat for five minutes. restarted and down the road i go 1st ok 2nd ok 3rd ok. stayed in third for about 2 miles. up shifted to 4th ok for 1 to 2 more miles. stuttered and died. after checking again same results. fuel level very low but fuel in filter. pushed it to a gas station about 1/2 mile away. put 6 bucks in. cranks but wont fire. am i right coil took a dump?

OGJHC Nevada chapter
UZI
Platinum FUBU

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2003 10:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sounds like a loose wire to me. or maybe the condenser. check the points too.

Quote:
mannys66: South Philly Van Club, only the most influential and freshest van club in the vw scene
Quote:
Cuņado: Chrome will get you home!!!!!!!!!!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Criswell
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2003 1:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i hate so stick my $.02 in , but what exactly DOES the condenser DO anyways ? i always thought they were just for noise supression for radio interference ... ??? sorry if i sound stupid, but im just being honest as to what i was taught ... and im just trying to learn whats "CORRECT"
joey-bugnaked.com
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2003 2:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A bad condenser will definately make the car spit and sputter and not run. So will a bad coil. Alot of times when the coil goes it will crack around the plastic base where the coil wire connects. It could be alot of things it's time to use process of elimination and start replacing parts. Make sure you get all BOSH stuff....no autozone crap.
Erik G
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2003 2:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

to check the coil, have someone turn the ignition while you hold the coil wire close to a ground, to check the color of spark. make sure you do this with insulated pliers so you don't get zapped. if the spark color is white or blue, your coil is good, if it's yellow or orange, the coil needs to be replaced.

my bet is the condensor or the points, probably the condensor. make sure the condensor wire isn't grounding out on the distributor, sometimes that plastic holder gives way, and the condensor is fried.

Good luck humph
humfrydog
Trained Attack Dog

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2003 6:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

finally got the bug home.turned out to be a bad coil.had to wait til a friend could come over with his truck in case we needed to tow it.runs fine now. Very Happy thanks to all for helping! i plan on keeping a spare coil with me from now on.

OGJHC Nevada chapter
berniedd1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2003 7:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ZEUS wrote:
i hate so stick my $.02 in , but what exactly DOES the condenser DO anyways ? i always thought they were just for noise supression for radio interference ... ??? sorry if i sound stupid, but im just being honest as to what i was taught ... and im just trying to learn whats "CORRECT"

The condenser makes the current decay very quickly when the points open. This in turn makes the magnetic field in the coil decay very quickly, and is partly responsible for the generated voltage of more than 20,000 volts that go to the spark plug.

What you mention above are condensers vs radio interference which are similar if not identical to that for the coil. They are used to eliminate electrical noise on the circuits that can interfere with your radio (such as the generator or alternator) by bypassing the noise potentials to ground.
Amskeptic
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2003 9:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ZEUS wrote:
i hate so stick my $.02 in , but what exactly DOES the condenser DO anyways ?

The condensor, in a nutshell, is an electrical "shock absorber" designed to catch the racing electrons that want to jump the points when the points open. Capacitors do the exact same thing, and as a matter of fact, a condensor is a capacitor, a transient electrical storage facility. When the condensor fails, it either steals all the electrons (a short), or it refuses any electrons (an open circuit), and, as mentioned, it will wreck the magnetic field collapse in the coil and there goes your spark.
Colin
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
panelant
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2004 7:37 pm    Post subject: condensors!! Reply with quote

I know this thread is old now and the problem must be solved but I HAVE to mention that I've had a simillar stuttering problem on a cross-country trip.. Middle of nowhere omg it dies.. luckily I floated down the hill into Redding, CA ... hmmm what's this? BusBoys? hehe.. fancy that.

after 4 attempts at continuing my trip.. finally figured out the screw holding the condensor was loose.. the condensor was just wiggling / vibrating causing the bus to stutter / die..

My advice.. carry a short philips screwdrive with you.. and problem is solved hehe..

Jeff
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: