Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Everything about CB Performance Black Box
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 20, 21, 22 ... 28, 29, 30  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
BFB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2021 5:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Everything about CB Performance Black Box Reply with quote

MikeyM73, i get it now. and thanks for understanding what i was meaning to say , you know how things can get misinterpreted.

also, i have several files on finding timing on type 4's and i might have a printable degree " wheel" , ill just have to look on the shop puter tomorrow.
and wouldn't it be just as easy to pull the front fan cover and fan and use an actual degree wheel to find 70 btdc? then set dizzy, reinstall fan and mark 70 degrees on it incase you need it again. 70 degrees doesn't have to be set exact anyhow as you sinc the engine with b.b. timing when you start it the 1st time.

i guess that all depends on if the engine is in the vehicle or not though...
An interesting thing happens in forums where everyone starts parroting the same thing and "common knowledge" takes over.
“ The monkey see monkey do mentality seems to run deep in VW people. "Gene Berg said it was so 30 years ago so thats the way it is" “ - bdkw1
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
BFB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2021 7:05 am    Post subject: Re: Everything about CB Performance Black Box Reply with quote

heres the best photos of type 4 timing marks i have, maybe it'll help some?

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

An interesting thing happens in forums where everyone starts parroting the same thing and "common knowledge" takes over.
“ The monkey see monkey do mentality seems to run deep in VW people. "Gene Berg said it was so 30 years ago so thats the way it is" “ - bdkw1
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2021 12:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Everything about CB Performance Black Box Reply with quote

richardcraineum wrote:
heres the best photos of type 4 timing marks i have, maybe it'll help some?

This is good....but let me add this. It may help a little as well.

914 timing mark are kind of the same but also a little bit different because the engine is in backward compared to 411/412 and bus.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=8776292&highlight=#8776292

And....through the year there is a RANGE of fans with differing timing marks including some for the 914 1.8L...that have no marks at all. They were using the inductive sensor in the bell housing and steel dowel pin on the flywheel.

Also bear in mind.....if the type 4 fan is used on a BUS....and does not use the timing hole in the fan shroud....and instead uses the external timing scale bolted to the housing....there i an offset from where "0"...TDC....IS...and where its read.

Note the yellow circle and arrow. The lower notch on the pulley is "0" for bus...and the upper "0" is for 411/412 and 914.

This thread also has some good type 4 fan and timing mark information.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...mp;start=0

Ray
W1K1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2021 2:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Everything about CB Performance Black Box Reply with quote

Quote:
find TDC then turn back to 70 degrees before TDC.
not an insult in any way but if you dont understand 70 degrees BTDC then im wondering if you might not have some real issues understanding timing your engine with the black box, the possibilities the map opens can be overwhelming. and if you have no vaccuum then why even bother with the black box? just run mechanical advance dizzy. with no vac signal you b.b. is only going to read WOT, and rpms, itll be very limited.
maybe i dont fully understand your question, again no insult intended

the black box doesn't use the same vacuum signal as the vacuum advance distributor, it runs a map sensor off of manifold vacuum.
An easy install with the adapter plates from CB, or simply drilling the manifolds and inserting a tube on each cylinder.

1973 super
1965 squareback 1500E
1971 bay window westy- subi swap
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2021 5:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Everything about CB Performance Black Box Reply with quote

W1K1 wrote:
Quote:
find TDC then turn back to 70 degrees before TDC.
not an insult in any way but if you dont understand 70 degrees BTDC then im wondering if you might not have some real issues understanding timing your engine with the black box, the possibilities the map opens can be overwhelming. and if you have no vaccuum then why even bother with the black box? just run mechanical advance dizzy. with no vac signal you b.b. is only going to read WOT, and rpms, itll be very limited.
maybe i dont fully understand your question, again no insult intended

the black box doesn't use the same vacuum signal as the vacuum advance distributor, it runs a map sensor off of manifold vacuum.
An easy install with the adapter plates from CB, or simply drilling the manifolds and inserting a tube on each cylinder.

Yes....but understand....and I have been telling people this for long before black box.

In a plenum style fuel injection manifold system......if one is still using the stock manifolds from L-jet on a 412, 914 or bus....or D-jet on a 411, 412 or 914....or even a stock beetle with L-jet..............where the vacuum port location is.....in the plenum ......makes a big difference in stability of vacuum signal, when it kicks in and out and in some cases (depending on plenum shape and runner port location) ....it can vary the signal STRENGTH as well.

Also ported to the plenum in general.....versus in the middle of a runner versus at the port in the head makes a difference in vacuum signature as well. Ray
Eddie010
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2021 2:50 am    Post subject: Re: Everything about CB Performance Black Box Reply with quote

k got the serial to usb cable from CB performance, but for some reason the laptop still can not connect to the Black Box.
What an I doing wrong.
Can I check the Black box only wit a plus (12V) and a minus (earth) outside of the car or do al the cables need to be connected. (Like the coil, distributor)

Thanks in advance
Eddie
W1K1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2021 5:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Everything about CB Performance Black Box Reply with quote

is it a new computer?
i know there were issues with some new computers not connecting.
mine is a 10 year old and other than being slow as molasses it works fine with the black box

1973 super
1965 squareback 1500E
BFB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2021 6:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Everything about CB Performance Black Box Reply with quote

you should be able to just power the box and be fine, alot of times i disconnect power to the coil so i dont burn it or the points / pick up when i dont need the engine running and tired of breathing C0.
you might try plugging into a different usb port. sometimes mine tries to connect through the wrong port and locks up my laptop, of course its running windows 95 and slow as hell too...
Lawlessjr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2021 10:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Everything about CB Performance Black Box Reply with quote

Eddie010 wrote:
k got the serial to usb cable from CB performance, but for some reason the laptop still can not connect to the Black Box.
What an I doing wrong.
Can I check the Black box only wit a plus (12V) and a minus (earth) outside of the car or do al the cables need to be connected. (Like the coil, distributor)

Thanks in advance
Eddie

Unplug the adapter and install this driver update. After it loads, plug the adapter back in and try again. Make sure you have 12v and both grounds connected.

https://www.ftdichip.com/Drivers/CDM/CDM21228_Setup.zip
Eddie010
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2021 4:45 am    Post subject: Re: Everything about CB Performance Black Box Reply with quote

Lawlessjr wrote:
Eddie010 wrote:
What an I doing wrong.

Thanks in advance
Eddie

Unplug the adapter and install this driver update. After it loads, plug the adapter back in and try again. Make sure you have 12v and both grounds connected.

https://www.ftdichip.com/Drivers/CDM/CDM21228_Setup.zip

Ok will try that, thank you.
Eddie010
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2021 4:06 am    Post subject: Re: Everything about CB Performance Black Box Reply with quote

Ok, still don t see the black box on my laptop...
I think it is broke.
Maybe is it possible to send it to someone in europe with black box experience, to see if it works or is broke.

Or someone has a wiring harnas that I can lend. so i can rule out all options.

Eddie
xzener
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2021 7:38 am    Post subject: Re: Everything about CB Performance Black Box Reply with quote

Just gonna throw this out there, for I had an issue a while back... Both black wires are grounded right?
Eddie010
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2021 7:25 am    Post subject: Re: Everything about CB Performance Black Box Reply with quote

xzener wrote:
Just gonna throw this out there, for I had an issue a while back... Both black wires are grounded right?

Yes, both wires are connected.
MikeyM73
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2021 5:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Everything about CB Performance Black Box Reply with quote

Hey guys,

Thanks for the input, didn't mean to hijack the thread.

Ray, great info. Thanks very much. RichardC and Daos, thanks also. I think the best thing (for me, anyway) would be to remove the fan and work at it on the bench.. easy enough to do. RichardC if you do have a type 4 prinatable degree wheel somewhere, that would be a huge help.

One thing is definite... I won't make a move on this until I fully understand where my true 0 degree is and have a solid method to find it on the fan.

Guys, honestly, do you think the BB is worth it? Not monetarily but drivability, dependability, and performance wise? I ask because I could probably find some lighter weight advance springs for the Pertronix dizzy that better match a 050 dizzy and be good. But I am trying to eek as much response, etc. from this engine so that anyone who knows how to drive a stick, doesn't have to drive around any tuning issues.

Thanks,
Mikey
'73 Pop-top Westy, found sitting in a field for 10+ years, cleaned up, rebuilt furniture, reloved. Original 1.7 block/fully polished crank, 93mm 1.8L balanced AA pistons & cylinders, new 1.8L balanced rods, HAM 42/36 heads, Scat C25 cam & lubalobe lifters, Dual HPMX40s, R2C filters w/ Outerwears pre-filters, functioning thermostat & flaps, Pertronix Flamethrower III, 4-1 exhaust w/ Cherry Bomb 2" turbo muffler & OEM heater boxes, averages about 19-22ish on the highway.
Alstrup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2021 6:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Everything about CB Performance Black Box Reply with quote

MikeyM73 wrote:
Hey guys,

Guys, honestly, do you think the BB is worth it? Not monetarily but drivability, dependability, and performance wise? I ask because I could probably find some lighter weight advance springs for the Pertronix dizzy that better match a 050 dizzy and be good. But I am trying to eek as much response, etc. from this engine so that anyone who knows how to drive a stick, doesn't have to drive around any tuning issues.

Thanks,
Mikey

YES!
And why would you mimic an 050 distributor curve??? That is about the worst timing curve of them all.

Not anything near a stockish type 4, but last spring I installed a BB on another persons 1914, built the rather common way, meaning no frills anywhere maybe aprt from the cylinder heads. He initially had a regular german 009 and a good 3 ohm coil. I locked the 009, installed a low ohm rotor, and a BB. after something like 90 minutes to 2 hours of dialing the map in for his engine he went back on the dyno because he could feel improoved power especially coming on the curve. It turned out that he had gained 6 hp @ 2300 rpm and 2-3 hp peak and that was just seat of the pants tuning along with an O2 sensor in the exhaust.
BFB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2021 8:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Everything about CB Performance Black Box Reply with quote

like Alsrtup says, YES!!
ive had my 1st BB on 2 different engines ( in the same buggy ) and spent a multitude of hours tuning on the 1st engine until i was putting 20lbs through a stock , carbureted 1600. then i i got scared and left it at that. later built a 2276 thats running 14lbs. both engines are completely streetable and the wife & i will go on all day sunday drives, idles great, cruises great, and handles boost great.
my 2nd BB i put on my baja running a boosted 2021. i did have a dvda dizzy on it but something wasn't right, so i " replaced" it with a BB and the difference is amazing. when i built the 2021 i advanced the cam and i was having some kickback issues on startup cranking.. with the BB i was able to drop the initial timing waay back ( 4 degrees @ 450rpm ) which fixed the kick back, and jumps to 11 at 650 and 16 at 900 to 1200 with smooth idle right at 1050 that hardly fluctuates even being carbureted. you cant fine tune like that with a dizzy.
on top of all the tuning the electronics are epoxy coated and water proof, only way for water to get in is in the plug. i couldn't tell you how many times my rail has been rained on the the BB just sits out in the open on it.
one of the few products ive paid full retail for and felt i got my money's worth
MikeyM73
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2021 8:36 am    Post subject: Re: Everything about CB Performance Black Box Reply with quote

Wow, I’m sold! Thank you for the very detailed information. It seems well worth wild to go this route. Very good then… I will start saving my pennies and ping you all back when I have it in my hands.

Thanks again, very much.
Mikey
'73 Pop-top Westy, found sitting in a field for 10+ years, cleaned up, rebuilt furniture, reloved. Original 1.7 block/fully polished crank, 93mm 1.8L balanced AA pistons & cylinders, new 1.8L balanced rods, HAM 42/36 heads, Scat C25 cam & lubalobe lifters, Dual HPMX40s, R2C filters w/ Outerwears pre-filters, functioning thermostat & flaps, Pertronix Flamethrower III, 4-1 exhaust w/ Cherry Bomb 2" turbo muffler & OEM heater boxes, averages about 19-22ish on the highway.
Culito

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2021 10:30 am    Post subject: Re: Everything about CB Performance Black Box Reply with quote

Hey all, I have a few quick questions about this -

-could someone point me to an install manual? I can't seem to find one online.

-could this be run without manifold vacuum, at least temporarily? I have dual IDFs, so I would need to find 4 vacuum take-offs, tees and tubing.

-does anyone have a neat solution to said IDF vacuum ports?

-I see it suggests resistor type spark plugs - will a resistor rotor work instead?

Thanks!
johnnypan wrote:
...dont pay no attention to Culito,he's a cornhole..

Last edited by Culito on Thu Mar 04, 2021 10:35 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
xzener
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2021 10:35 am    Post subject: Re: Everything about CB Performance Black Box Reply with quote

I don't recommend running the engine without the vacuum line connected to the black box. It defeats the purpose. Keep your mechanical advance distributor installed until you get your vacuum line sorted.
W1K1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2021 10:57 am    Post subject: Re: Everything about CB Performance Black Box Reply with quote

Quote:
I have dual IDFs, so I would need to find 4 vacuum take-offs, tees and tubing.

-does anyone have a neat solution to said IDF vacuum ports?

you can buy the plates with the ports from CB with all the parts.
https://www.cbperformance.com/product-p/2040.htm

I just drilled my existing intake castings in the same area as the CB plates, and JB welded tubes in. Any FLAPS would have the tubing and tees, and brake line works for the tubing.

1973 super
1965 squareback 1500E
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 20, 21, 22 ... 28, 29, 30  Next
Jump to:
Page 21 of 30

Jump to: