Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Used Spare Fuel Pump Storage.
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
metropoj
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2014 6:43 am    Post subject: Used Spare Fuel Pump Storage. Reply with quote

I did some Preventative maintenance and installed a new Digifant pump. I was hoping to keep my old one around as a spare on the road but if I leave it as is dry I suspect it will quickly become useless.

Does anyone keep their old pumps as spares, buy a cheap new one, fill them with oil or ????

Looking for proven methods.

Cheers.
insyncro
Banned

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2014 7:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I definite run some lube through them if they are going to just sit.
danfromsyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2014 7:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

when NEW pumps can be had for $40 why would I carry a used one?
carry a spare NEW one if you expect yours to fail
but really the odds are slim anyways.. and then you'd be carrying a gassy or oily pump in your 'kit' for years.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
insyncro
Banned

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2014 7:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

"New" pumps have lube in them...at least the ones I have here in stock, not the $40 ones.
danfromsyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2014 7:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm running a #P37 fuel pump from Rock auto, $30
http://www.rockauto.com/dbphp/x,catalog,166,partnum,P37,d,PERFORMANCE_ELECTRIC_P37.html
there is another part number I need to look up that has the larger intake port..
Ahh it's the P38 listing it's compatibility as VW Vanagon.. has the larger intake port for $45
http://www.rockauto.com/dbphp/x,catalog,166,partnum,P38,d,PERFORMANCE_ELECTRIC_P38.html

how about these?

insyncro wrote:
I agree with Jon.
Great post.

Here is what I have to add:

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

This is a fuel pump from a Benz that I purchased NEW on eBay for $39 + shipping. Here is a link from the same company but this pump is direct fit for a few dollars more. Still under $50.

http://tinyurl.com/vanagon-fuel-pump

It had a fitting for a banjo which I removed.
3/8" FI hose fits right over the end.
You can reduce it down anywhere from the pump to the engine compartment. I use Goodyear FI hose with the blue Vitron inner sleeve, also available by the foot on eBay for around $4 a foot.

dylan

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
metropoj
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2014 11:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes they look fantastic as an option and I think that's the ticket going forward.

I just feel bad throwing one out that ended up being almost brand new Sad

When I went through the bills from the PO and found that he did replace it about 5 years ago and has approx 3k miles on it tops ...
Merian
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2014 11:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

fill a paint can with kerosene - drop it in and seal the lid
joseph928
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2014 12:11 pm    Post subject: pump Reply with quote

We just take the old but good pump, put oil in it then take the caps off the new one put on old pump put all in a ziplock put in the new box and store in the back of the van. If you don't need it I'm sure someone with you will need it. Very Happy
1987 syncro westy tin top sun roof , GW2.3, rear locker, decoupler, Gary Lee tire rack & winch mount, lift, south african grill, big brakes , rhein alloy ,15 BFG AT, Fiamma 10 foot awning ,140 watt rear 85 watt front solar , mppt, truckfridge, automatic fire extinguishing system, tencent oil cooler, And a RMW SS exhaust! - 1971 bug convertible 1776 engine- 2010 Subaru turbo - 1993 Toyota 4x4 truck - 1999 Harley 95 CI, big bore, Andrews cams . Also 80-84- vans. Stock 65 sunroof bug.

Last edited by joseph928 on Sat Sep 06, 2014 7:06 pm; edited 2 times in total
JPrato
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2014 5:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

metropoj wrote:
Yes they look fantastic as an option and I think that's the ticket going forward.

I just feel bad throwing one out that ended up being almost brand new Sad

When I went through the bills from the PO and found that he did replace it about 5 years ago and has approx 3k miles on it tops ...

3k miles, sheeze! I'd spray it full of WD40, shake it around, drain it out, put the caps on the ports that came on your new one (or get some), put it in a ziplock bag and throw it in the van.

87 Syncro Tin Top project
84 Westy, 2.5L Subaru power
06 Subaru 2.5 turbo in waiting
46 Cessna 140
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Phishman068
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2014 7:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I run ATF through them then cap them up.
I absolutely carry a known good OEM fuel pump and would do so over a new $30 one any day. The OEM one fits right in in a pinch, and I don't have to worry about cutting and crimping connections when I need a pump on the side of the road.

I have never used the spare pump I carry with me, but have given away 5-6 of them over the years to people who's pumps failed leaving them where they were, and I just happened to have that part with me! : )
I buy good used ones here, clean them up, lube and store them properly and they tend to come in handy as a common failure part.

Heck, I just lent one out last week!

I also PAINT them, because the reason the cases corrode through (Almost every one I've seen fail has been do to the case corroding through) is because of the galvanic contact with the steel holder and their constant exposure to road salt.
A coat of paint and they won't corrode, seemingly ever.
I also now line the fuel pump mounts with a layer of Ultra High Molecular Polyethylene tape just so there isn't that metal to metal contact. It certainly doesn't hurt!
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6864936#6864936

"Along with the ability to go fast, one looses the desire to hurry."
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
0to60in6min
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2014 4:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

be aware there are 2 kind of connectors depending of the brand of the fuel pumps..

make sure that the spare has the same connectors as the one you use..
zeohsix
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2014 6:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Marvell Mystery oil is what we used to use to store our USAC midget fuel injection pumps in the off season, its great stuff!
I'm Cheap! I'll build that Syncro Westy myself and save money but, my labor is "FREE" especially if I ever go to sell it! One thing is I will know the quality of the parts and labor that went into the build and rest better when I'm actually driving said Westy down the road!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: