Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

howdy 1974 super beetle rest with dad
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
calvinater
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2014 4:24 pm    Post subject: howdy 1974 super beetle rest with dad Reply with quote

Howdy im a 13 year old boy in the northern vermont area with my uncles 1974 super beetle Very Happy we just went 800 miles there and back to get it. Me and my dad are planning to restore it to working condition for my first car, however we have know VW experience Crying or Very sad so if we could get some help that would be fabulous. her are some pictures of the car.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

calvinater
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2014 4:28 pm    Post subject: engine Reply with quote

this is the engine most missing parts are in side the car.

[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2014 6:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Beautiful clean car, should have it tip top in no time.

Does it run? engine looks really clean. Probably not the original, this engine once had an air conditioner attaches.

You need some major help in the engine bay. The most alarming thing is the black hose on the right. It is blowing in a hole made for sucking. Not alarming because it is damaging anything, alarming because it is an indicator of how things are hooked up. Ie expect anything.

First things though. The fuel filter in the engine bay. Move it to either by the transmission or under the gas tank. It is a failure point and when it fails the engine catches on fire and destroys the bug.

Get an air filter. Yours came with a paper element, I like them, most on this site like the oil bath filters. That black hose on the right connects to the air filter so it can suck warm air off the cylinder bank on cold mornings.

Also hook up the vacume advance on the distributor can't really set the timing without it.
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2014 6:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[email protected] wrote:
engine looks really clean. Probably not the original, this engine once had an air conditioner attaches.

Looks like the original engine. AC hose are in the upper left of the engien compartment.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2014 7:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, your right there are a couple of very air conditioner like hoses there on the left. My bad.
Tim Donahoe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2014 8:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Calvin--look at my engine bay and see how things are hooked up.

Check out the hoses--big and small.

Looks like a nice bug to start out. Much nicer than a lot I've seen lately.

Tim
Her74buggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2014 10:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tim Donahoe wrote:
Calvin--look at my engine bay and see how things are hooked up.

Check out the hoses--big and small.

Looks like a nice bug to start out. Much nicer than a lot I've seen lately.

Tim

Is there a fuel hose even attached to the plastic fuel filter? Lots of stem showing.
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2014 10:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It might be worth pointing out that all posted pictures get scrutinized as Her74buggy did indeed strutinize Tim's picture.

The picture is just what you need. Ignoring of course that he has a fuel filter in the engine bay Wink

Really good view of the large pipes on either end and a paper air cleaner all properly hooked up and the distributor with the correct metal "shepards crook" vacum line.
allsidius
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2014 12:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ignoring also that you don't have a mechanical fuel pump, there must be an electric one somewhere.

Start by finding an air filter housing, I have one at home, but postage would be killing. Don't just throw on a chrome aftermarket one, the original has five or six connections for return air, crankcase breather hose, prewarmed air with thermostatic selector etc. This car should have a paper cartridge filter, which works just as good or better than the oil bath. This is a 1973 motor, just to show you how the hoses go. It has an 009 distributor, so no vacuum hose for that, but otherwise it is reasonable standard set up.

Also, I would like to point out that the upper and lower part of the engine are supposed to be sealed off from each other. That hole on the left is for a flexible hose to be hooked up to the outlet on the left side of the shroud. This is for blowing air from the cooling fan, into the heat exchangers and into the cabin if you so desire, or out on the road if you don't want heat. On the right side, you have the hose, but it is running into the wrong hole. It shold be relocated into the heat exchanger, right in front of it. The rear hole is for picking up heated air from the engine, for cold starts. Check the picture. When you get your air filter, this hose goes on underneath the filter, on the right hand side. All three hoses should have rubber sleeves to seal off towards the rear tin plate.

On top of the black canister next to the generator, there is a connection for a 3/4" hose. This should also go into the air filter. Out of this hole is a cloud of oil coming from the crankcase, which should be sucked into the engine and not left to contaminate the road and your engine room.

A lot of people are not too upset about air leaks between upper and lower part of the engine bay, but I think VW knew a thing or two about the importance of keeping cold air in the upper room, and not letting heated air into the cooling fan to be recycled. That is why you should find little rubber gaskets on your plug cables, too.

The best way of making it run the way it was supposed to is to restore everything to factory spec. Not conting the fuel pump, if it works OK, leave it electric.

Good luck on a nice car.

Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
calvinater
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2014 3:39 am    Post subject: Air filter Reply with quote

Howdy allsidius we have the air filter housing those pictures were before we took all the missing parts out of the car here is a more recent picture.

allsidius
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2014 4:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is fine, you are well on your way then.

Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
flyboy161
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2014 5:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks great, Calvinater. And it looks like you're getting it ready to run. But you guys must get those fresh air hoses hooked up right. Otherwise your motor will overheat in short time.

The 1964...Diamond in the rough
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=612776

My 1958 Morocco Bug-
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=611483
Mikedrevguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2014 6:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like a great start, Calvin.
There' are three large holes in the rear engine tin. Two uter ones and the one nearest the pulley. That one nearest the pulley is used to draw warmed air up into the air.filter and into the carb. The outer two are used to connect the fan shroud to the heaterboxes; the air flows out of the fan shroud, through the heaterboxes and ultimately into the cabin (as warmed air.).
Good luck getting it all sorted out. Have fun with it.
Rev.
69 Bwajaja
"The wise speak because they have something to say; while the foolish speak because they have to say something." Plato

Illigitimi non-Carborundum!!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Her74buggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2014 7:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[email protected] wrote:
It might be worth pointing out that all posted pictures get scrutinized as Her74buggy did indeed strutinize Tim's picture.

The picture is just what you need. Ignoring of course that he has a fuel filter in the engine bay Wink

Really good view of the large pipes on either end and a paper air cleaner all properly hooked up and the distributor with the correct metal "shepards crook" vacum line.

Not trying to be negative, it was just an observation. I run my hose all the way down the stem and clamp it so if I posted a pic and it looked like that I would be happy someone pointed it out because that would mean I need to slide the hose down before it comes loose and flames up the engine bay. I can't really see it well and it's probably how he wants it but just a heads up.
Tim Donahoe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2014 9:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Concerning my fuel filter, when I pull the motor to do a few odds and ends to it, I'll get rid of that filter entirely. I'm using German-braided 5.5mm hose and it's pushed on to entirely cover the first size of the filter's conduit. It also has hose clamps. I'll also be installing a new metal line (the one that wraps around the engine shroud) since the current one touches my manifold (and is currently being held away from it by a clothespin).

Tim
sb001
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2014 9:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Calvinater looks like a nice starting point, mostly complete engine just a few odds and ends missing. As previously stated you need to get those fresh air hoses hooked up from your fan shroud to your heat exchangers. Not really a big deal at all, a few bucks from your local FLAPS and a couple clamps.

Don't worry about your fuel filter in the engine bay, its fine-- just make sure the hoses connected to it are tight as is the connection at the carburetor.

1969 autostick sedan, family owned since new
1600 SP engine
Solex 30 PICT 3 carburetor
Bosch 113905205AE autostick distributor
calvinater
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2014 3:36 pm    Post subject: pre heater hose Reply with quote

on the driver side were the air 2 1/2 inch hose connecting pipe is twisted about 15* clock wise how do we re align it.
calvinater
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2014 3:39 pm    Post subject: name Reply with quote

Also her name is Sasha
Tim Donahoe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2014 4:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cal, just squirt some WD40 where it fits onto that pipe, and grab the edge with a pair of pliers, and loosen/work the flange over a bit, so as to fit the tin (pipe connectors) to it. Then you put your paper hose over the conduit can(s).

I use large clamps to hold these on, air tight.

Tim
calvinater
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2014 3:24 am    Post subject: thank you tim Reply with quote

Surprised Wink
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: