Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Radiator baffle DIY – what is latest material and template?
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
vanis13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2014 6:07 am    Post subject: Radiator baffle DIY – what is latest material and template? Reply with quote

Radiator baffle DIY – what is latest material and template?

Got the radiator out and wondering what to use to replace my deteriorated radiator baffles.

Would prefer to make my own rather than wait for shipping. I've seen some topics on this periodically but no luck in the search.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

www.SuperVanagon.com - some stuff I make

Last edited by vanis13 on Thu Sep 11, 2014 6:26 am; edited 1 time in total
Syncro Jael
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2014 6:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I purchased these recently, from GoWesty, getting ready to install new radiator, fan, hoses. These are very well manufactured and should last as long as I am needing them. The material used is much better than stock.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Ahwahnee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2014 6:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is the time of year for my favorite material -- election signs from losing candidates.

The signs I use are made of a plastic material that is formed like corrugated cardboard -- very easy to work with yet quite durable even in the wet.

I may still have some patterns that you can print on your printer and tape together - PM me if you want a copy.
shadetreetim
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2014 7:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used FRP (fiberglass reinforced panels). They are normally used to cover the walls of commercial kitchens, bathrooms, showers, etc. Pretty durable and easy to work with. You don't need much, but Home Depot / Lowe's sells 4X8 sheets.

Doing my best every time I drive it to dispel the myth these Vanagons have to be slow!

'89 Vanagon Bluestar/Country Homes 1.8T & .77 4th
'74 Jeep CJ5
LandSailor
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2014 10:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Coroplast is the name of the sign material. It will last for years and handles water superbly. (I have a piece of it as a temporary wall in our shower to test the custom shower setup I installed.) The melting point is 324°F/162°C and the performance range is -17°F to 160°F.

However, I have the GoWesty setup and aside from the fact that they don't include (nor sell) the screws and connectors, it's excellent. The only downside to the Coroplast (and this is just a WAG) is that it's not as "sturdy" as the TPE in the GoWesty set.
Merian
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2014 11:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

do I need to find a black sign or will the white show thru the grill?
?Waldo?
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2014 12:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The color will show through the grill some if viewed from the correct angle but it is not particularly noticeable. I made some out of yellow/black election signs some 6 or 8 years ago. Very easy and still look perfect today. If I have them off again some day I may spray them with some black paint made for adhering to plastic.
Syncroincity
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2014 5:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are your originals still there, just in bad shape?

I made a set of replacements using fiberglass mat, but instead of resin I used black POR-15, using the remnants of my originals for molds.
Put down a layer of Saran wrap to separate the mold, then laid up 2 layers of thin mat.
The POR-15 remains flexible, as opposed to resin, and is super-easy to work with. Been running these for about 10 years now, no issues.
As a bonus, the finished product looks kind of like carbon-fiber. Razz

Vanagon Build: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=466866&highlight=
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ThankYouJerry
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2014 6:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

By the time you "wait for shipping" and the amount of time it takes to do it right... you could be done with the new GW baffles for $39.95. What is your time worth and why reinvent the wheel?

http://www.gowesty.com/ec_search_results.php?search_phrase=Baffles

No affiliation... just a very satisfied GW Baffel customer Wink
chojinchef
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2014 6:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some folks enjoy the thrill of the chase, and will want to make these up from a recycled product. Good for you.

I went with the pre made Go Westy ones, and then spent the time trying to recreate and replace the panels that were once affixed to the rear of my grill.

The Go Westy ones are spot on, and seem to be made from a recycled rubberized compound that installs quickly.nice product.
Its a mistress; an expensive, whiney, needy bitch of a mistress. She is a chunky, dirty girl with bad skin, little motivation and yet she always makes me smile. She sure has been around before shacking up with me. She has a direct line to my wallet, plays with my emotions, is consistantly jovial yet with a sarcastic and sardonic side, is consistant in her inconsistancy, and every once in a while gives me a great ride and a fantastic memory.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
vanis13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2014 6:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, the GW ones look good.

1) Want to get the radiator in this w/e and 2) for me there is a high level of satisfaction on a DIY project using things I already have.

Optimist view - Think of all the greenhouse gasses I am saving not shipping and not throwing out the coroplast I already have.

www.SuperVanagon.com - some stuff I make
Gregicon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2014 7:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ThankYouJerry wrote:
By the time you "wait for shipping" and the amount of time it takes to do it right... you could be done with the new GW baffles for $39.95. What is your time worth and why reinvent the wheel?

http://www.gowesty.com/ec_search_results.php?search_phrase=Baffles

No affiliation... just a very satisfied GW Baffel customer Wink

X2 - installed my GW baffles today! Easy, permanent, removable if needed...def worth the $40
ThankYouJerry
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2014 7:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vanis13 wrote:
Optimist view - Think of all the greenhouse gasses I am saving not shipping and not throwing out the coroplast I already have.

The GW baffles are made from recycled materials and if you want to save greenhouse gasses you wouldn't be driving a (fossil fuel powered) Vanagon Wink

All in good fun. Do as you will.
unibagel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2014 4:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are the baffles even needed?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
chojinchef
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2014 5:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

unibagel wrote:
Are the baffles even needed?

'Need' is subjective. I ran for three years without them without an issue; with a WBX and then with a Zetec.

My desire to add them was based in some sound reduction activities I was partaking. For $30 it was a no brainer for me.

I wanted to channel air where it should go, and eliminate it from where it was not needed, hence possibly reduce the sound from air passing over the front of our bricks.

Have no scientific evidence of the reduction - I did not run the decibel meter prior to installation. But after a few hundred miles I do believe that the installation of these, plus the re-creation of the pieces that once affixed to the back of the early style grill has made an effect on the front end noise from airflow.

I will someday pull them off and compare decibel levels, but not today - going camping.
Its a mistress; an expensive, whiney, needy bitch of a mistress. She is a chunky, dirty girl with bad skin, little motivation and yet she always makes me smile. She sure has been around before shacking up with me. She has a direct line to my wallet, plays with my emotions, is consistantly jovial yet with a sarcastic and sardonic side, is consistant in her inconsistancy, and every once in a while gives me a great ride and a fantastic memory.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
?Waldo?
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2014 6:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

They will make a significant difference in the amount of air that goes through the radiator and consequently how well the radiator can cool. They aren't needed until they are. That one time when you overheat while climbing a 7% freeway grade in 115 degree ambient temps might make the deflectors seem really worthwhile.
madspaniard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2014 9:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the GoWesty kit sitting in my garage for over a year waiting for me to pull the grilles. Does anybody have recommendations or a parts list that includes all the hardware needed? I'm still trying to figure out why hardware is not included in this kit.

"The only difference between me and a madman is that I'm not mad” - Salvador Dali
Ahwahnee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2014 10:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andrew A. Libby wrote:
...That one time when you overheat while climbing a 7% freeway grade in 115 degree ambient temps might make the deflectors seem really worthwhile.

I-17

Yeah, I figure some German engineer (who knew a lot more about it than me or anyone here) thought they were necessary.
greggearhead
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2014 10:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's not exactly the same thing, but older B-chassis VW & Audi models have cardboard type material that always degrades and goes away.

On my Fox Wagon, I built some new ones from Masonite because I had a free chunk of time, some masonite, and Foxes are known for being marginally cooled when you start pushing them.

I made sure to spray paint both sides for better water resistance. Should last several years or more.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

1991 Vanagon Syncro Westy

Period Lights, VW & Porsche wheels and Recaro/Scheel Seats for sale

https://www.facebook.com/greggearhead

http://greggearhead.com/soco-swap---september-vw-swap-meet.html
Altoona
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2014 1:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

madspaniard wrote:
I have the GoWesty kit sitting in my garage for over a year waiting for me to pull the grilles. Does anybody have recommendations or a parts list that includes all the hardware needed? I'm still trying to figure out why hardware is not included in this kit.

I just reused the original stuff, worked well for me. Those plastic plug things that fasten the upper tabs are pretty specialized looking, I wonder if they are available or what could be used as a replacement if yours are missing?
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: