Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Dumb question #864 engine poll
Forum Index -> HBB Off-Road Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  

To ecotec swap or not to swap
yes
87%
 87%  [ 7 ]
no
12%
 12%  [ 1 ]
Total Votes : 8

brooksinc1976
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2014 6:53 am    Post subject: Dumb question #864 engine poll Reply with quote

Long story short I have a 2 seater and am now building a 4 seater. My game pan was to sell the 2 seater as a roller and keep the engine (stock AH case 1600, old tired but cranks almost every time), pop it in the 4 seater and run it till it quits. That said after 4 Months I've had one guy look at it and no offers.

What do yall think of an Ecotec swap. I know there are a lot of purest and I too like the air-cooled. I think making the 2 seater a runner not a roller will make it more sellable and if I'm lucky get an extra grand for it. We have a mechanic at our concrete company so I feel better about the electric.

I was kicking tires and my local shop would rebuild my DP and make it a balanced 1905 for 3500.00 which sounds like a good price but a lot to get 90 HP if I'm lucky. Sounds like what little I've started to learn to put a 2.4 Ecotec would be about 2000-2500 (but I'm sure I'm way off base)

What's yo take? thx
takotruckin
SUPER Baja

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2014 6:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I went water cooled 9 years ago and never looked back. My brother in law has spent WAY WAY too much money on an aircooled engine trying to keep up and still has issues with it running hot etc. My car just starts up and goes Very Happy.
I run a Ford Duratec, but I highly recommend the Ecotec.
Vanapplebomb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2014 11:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Ecotec is a good engine, no doubt.

If you want to stay air cooled you could do a Type 4 engine. In stock form they made around 80hp in the 411/412, a little more in the 2.0 914, and upper 60's in the bus. Nice thing about the Type 4 engine is the smooth torque they make top to bottom. It makes for a very drivable motor, if you know what I mean.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=487021
KrAzY-BaJa
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2014 11:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

the T4 engines have become big $$$ these days. even if you find one cheap rebuilding is high priced, you still would be Ac so you still have Ac probs Razz

also the conversion flywheel to have it fit in a T1 trans is over $400? from kennedy
ForYotaWagen: A Ford/Toyota/Volkswagen http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=4871576&highlight=#4871576
race-desert
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2014 12:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I went from a prefectly running 1800 T4 to ecotec and never looked back!! best move i made............
Vanapplebomb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2014 12:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

KrAzY-BaJa wrote:
the T4 engines have become big $$$ these days. even if you find one cheap rebuilding is high priced, you still would be Ac so you still have Ac probs Razz

also the conversion flywheel to have it fit in a T1 trans is over $400? from kennedy

Depends what you build. Cc for cc, they are not much different than the Type 1 engines of similar quality parts, believe it or not. Also, no need for the stupid conversion fly wheels. That is Kennedy's way of ripping of customers in my opinion. All you need to do is relocate the pilot shaft bearing so it is flush with the surface of the flywheel. That is it. Boom. Done. Changing the depth of a bearing should not be an issue for anyone. The larger Type 4 210mm and 215mm clutches fit a type 1 bell housing with zero clearancing.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=487021
Alpha Fab
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2014 11:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You will save money, in the long run, by converting to the 2.4 Ecotec.

The 2.4 Ecotec puts out 200-210 Crank HP. We routintely see 175 RWHP+.

Because the 2.4 Ecotec has Variable Valve Timing [VVT] we can control the cams throughout the entire RPM range. What does this mean? It means 95% of your torque is available almost immediately off idle throttle.

Our combo kits are true bolt-in solutions. 5 wire harness hook-ups, plumb your fuel and plumb your cooling and your done. We've had customers finish a swap in a weekend.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Want more power? They are BOOST READY

Enjoy!

-AFI

Specializing in EFI systems engineering, design and tuning for the GM Ecotec Platform.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> HBB Off-Road All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: