Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Electrify a Bay
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
ferball
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2014 7:40 pm    Post subject: Electrify a Bay Reply with quote

Could one hypothetically run a Bus around town on the starter motor? I was thinking some cheap solar panels and fancy wiring i could have a "hybrid",
Brian
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2014 7:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like a great way to kill a starter

'69 Bug
'68 Baja Truck
'71 Bug
'68 Camper

Only losers litter
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
tristessa
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2014 8:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like an expensive way to kill a starter
crownline
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2014 6:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you want electric buy a prius and give the bay to someone who will run it with gas. Or put a wind turbine on the roof. Laughing

"It"s got some dings and dents and neither of us is going to SEMA."(Update, I went to SEMA in 2019 but the Bus stayed home)
[url=http://www.vw-mplate.com/mplate-8446.png]Click to view image[/URL]
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Skyline
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2014 7:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had the idea once of gutting a Prius and putting the drive train in a bus to make a true hybrid. When i woke up the next morning, my head hurt and I slipped away from that idea while it was sleeping. Embarassed

Ahh, youthful indiscretions. Rolling Eyes

Now I want to restore one more and more.
aerosurfer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2014 7:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If there are no underpasses in town, you could mount a mast through the sunroof or westy cutout, and put a giant sail on it.

Then you can tell people you are going sailing in the Bay

77 Westy 2.0L Rockin and Rolling Resto!

72 Sportsmobile (sold)
79 Tran$porter... Parts car money machine (gone)
telford dorr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2014 10:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

IIRC, the design life of a starter motor is 8 hours (assuming intermittent use).
When you're dead, you don't know you're dead. The pain is only felt by others.
Same thing happens when you're stupid. - Philippe Geluck
More VW electrical at http://telforddorr.com/ (available 9am to 9pm PST)
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ferball
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2014 10:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The idea of a solar powered car appeals to me, and a bus has the roof real estate to accommodate the solar array to power it. But there is no way I am going to gut my Blue Beast for the novelty of a solar powered car. My thought was that if I could figure out how to use the existing power train with minimal modification it might be a fun project.

The starter would be the obvious choice if it could handle it, but I had my doubts and I figure you all could get a good laugh out of me. My second thought would be to do it with the alternator. Put an old school generator in, and power that with solar and it would turn the engine or modify the flywheel pulley to except another belt and have a stand alone motor on that.This idea seems way more plausible than the the starer.

My other question for the real mechanics is: Is there any danger in turning a motor with no gas running through it? Would that cause some un known problems?
GMATech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2014 11:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is no way you could get enough solar power to run a car. Google solar powered cars, there are engineering schools that do this. They usually end up with a very tiny car that is completely covered in solar panels and has very limited capability.

The starter would never have enough power to actually drive the bus, and as far as the generator. General Motors has a hybrid setup that uses a large generator/starter unit. It provides additional power to the already running engine and recaptures that energy when possible. Plus they shut the engine off and fire it back up when you're about to pull out.

The type of motor you would need to actually run the car is huge. And then you're going to run into some serious speed and range restrictions. There's a guy in the split forum that built one. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=539140
PA safety and emissions inspector
General Motors guru
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2014 1:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ferball wrote:
The idea of a solar powered car appeals to me, and a bus has the roof real estate to accommodate the solar array to power it. But there is no way I am going to gut my Blue Beast for the novelty of a solar powered car. My thought was that if I could figure out how to use the existing power train with minimal modification it might be a fun project.

The starter would be the obvious choice if it could handle it, but I had my doubts and I figure you all could get a good laugh out of me. My second thought would be to do it with the alternator. Put an old school generator in, and power that with solar and it would turn the engine or modify the flywheel pulley to except another belt and have a stand alone motor on that.This idea seems way more plausible than the the starer.

My other question for the real mechanics is: Is there any danger in turning a motor with no gas running through it? Would that cause some un known problems?

Mmmmm....no. The very best commercial scale solar panels are 21% total efficiency.....and pricey...and you would need many times your roof surface area to make a dent in moving a 4000 lb non-aerodynamic loaf of steel around. Connected in series they will make the voltage required fairly quickly....but not the amperage.

These put out a little less than 350 watts per panel. But to get amperage with voltage out of the inverter system high enough you need a lot of panels in series.

A generator powered with solar or electricity...is just an electric motor. The type of high output motors used in hybrids and electrics are special high efficiency units with neodymium magnets. And still they take more amperage than the solar panels will deliver which is why they are hooked to a generator or a high output battery.

Its nifty to think about this stuff...but i would suggest doing a little studying of the basics.

By the way....the solar cars (and Google is only a very minor player really compared to what has been and is over the years....don't believe the advertising).......are not cars at all.
They are simply vehicles. They have no practical use. But I love watching them.
They are typically all under 500 lbs, have every square inch covered with solar cells whose efficiency is higher than is usually commercially available. Even surfaces pointed downward usually have some cells on them....some even using hybrid dye based (quantum dot cells)...that make power from infrared (heat)....and others alternating thin film cells which pull in limited power at light angles that thick film wafers have trouble with.

And aerodynamics and exotic composites that would put a stealth fighter to shame.

If you are worried about being that green....and still want to drive a bus...I would either build a better, more efficient aircooled gasoline engine for it, or convert it to natural gas (much better)....meanwhile go to school and study some related engineering.
Your ideas are fine....with the right training you might be able to discover the next automotive clean air breakthrough. Ray
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
telford dorr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2014 6:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

IIRC, solar radiation is around 1 kw / square meter, at best. Assume you get half of that. At 21% panel efficiency and, say, 3 sq meters of roof space, that's 1000 * 0.5 * 0.21 * 3 = 315 watts of power available. Assume 1 kw per horsepower (with motor and control losses), that's 0.315 hp to move the bus (in real-time). Assuming I didn't drop a decimal point somewhere, or other stupid mistakes, you're gonna need substantial storage (battery, super-caps, etc.) to make it work.

[Going the other way: the average house has a 100 amp, 240 volt service. That's 100 x 240 = 24 kw maximum possible power draw. Assume a 2-pole AC generator was run by a VW engine, and you got (with losses) 500 watts / hp. That means you'd need 48 hp to max out your house service - within range of a 60 hp 1600 (turning 3600 rev/min = 60 hz power)... Food for thought.]
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ferball
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2014 7:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am aware of the fact that I would not be able run a car straight off of solar, The beauty of a VW bus is its cargo capacity, throwing a giant "battery pack" into one would be the easiest part of the project. I would not expect to go touring on the solar alone, I would only expect it to keep the batteries charged enough that I could go electric in traffic or around town

I know that a used electric fork lift motor is also a cost effective power plant for electric cars. I have done quite a bit of research on this EV idea even if most of my posts make me look like an ignorant fool.

VW Buses are actually one of the best platforms for an EV because it is fairly light weight and you can frieght it out pretty good (batteries can get heavy.

Most of the DIY EV projects I have seen involve pulling out the engine and attaching a motor to the gearbox.

My thought is why pull the engine? Find some point of input for your electric motor. I.E the starter. However I am thinking some sort of fly wheel pulley mod with your electric motor mounted opposite the battery tray would actually almost work.

The biggest problem I see with this concept is the loss of effiecincy in cranking the entire engine, but the efficincy trade off is worth it especially if you are charging with solar.

The only other mod aside from a fancy pulley would be en electric fuel pump, so we could cut fuel flow when in electric mode thus keeping the engine from firing.

I know there is quite a bit more involved, but a bolt on electric upgrade would be quite cool. I know hub motors are always an option, but the implementation would be a lot more involved, and who knows what kind of hacking would need to be done to the suspension to make them fit.
tristessa
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2014 8:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ferball wrote:
VW Buses are actually one of the best platforms for an EV because it is fairly light weight

.. huh? Unladen weight for a '76 Bus in "Kombi" trim is over 2900 pounds, with the station wagon (passenger) and Campmobile versions weighing even more. That's light compared to a similar vintage Econoline, but far from what I would consider "lightweight".

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
Skyline
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2014 6:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ferball wrote:
I have done quite a bit of research on this EV idea even if most of my posts make me look like an ignorant fool.

Your first post especially makes you look like an ignorant fool. Your remaining comments make me doubt the research you have done.

1) You have failed to listen to those who have posted above on the efficiency of the solar panels and understand the basic physics of moving a vehicle.

2) Despite my flippant comment earlier, I have done extensive research and engineering calculation on what it would take to make an EV or EV/hybrid bus. You obviously have not. If you had, you would understand that you need at least 34-45 KW of power to move a bus at 40mph on a level surface. Take that number and figure out the battery pack and motor voltage required. If you don’t walk away at that point, you really do not understand the problem.

3) Have you completed an even basic internet search for your research? There are at least a couple videos out there of people who have successfully converted a bus to EV. Look at what they have done and learn. Also, there a number of good EV web sites that cover all the calculations you need to completely understand in order to design, fabricate, install and calibrate all the components required.

My comment earlier was correct; it gave me a big headache. The long and the short of my research, is given the weight and aerodynamics of a VW bus we are not at a current level of technology to produce a useful bus EV conversion. Review the Top Gear electric car they built. That is what an EV bus will be. Top speed – 30-50 mph, range – 20 to 30 miles, time between battery recharge – 8 to 16 hours, all adds up to a pretty impractical vehicle.

Now before you start going all EV hybrid on me, look up two reports conducted by the Oakridge National Lab (yes the nuke boys) about the Toyota Prius. They took one apart, reverse engineered the components and system, identified the pros and cons and identified potential areas of improvement.

Basically to go EV hybrid as you suggest you are taking a 2900 pound bus adding at least another 1000 pounds of electric motor, battery and wire and now expecting it to be more efficient. The primary way hybrids get their efficiency up is that they combine all the motors into one component that works like an automatic transmission. Doing this, you only add about half the weight over a conventionally gas powered vehicle. Now take the Prius, Toyota maximized aerodynamics, made everything as light as possible and made the vehicle as physically small as they could get away with.

What you are asking for is the hybrid Cadillac Escalade wrapped in a classic VW shell. MPG of 2009 Cadillac Escalade is 20mpg. Properly tuned bus gets better than that.

Continue on your path……..
telford dorr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2014 8:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't forget regenerative braking - the big secret to successful hybrids. Recovering substantial energy rather than dumping it as heat makes around-town 'mileage' rise substantially. [Does nothing for 'highway' mileage, unfortunately.That's why most hybrid's 'around town' mileage is better than their 'highway' mileage.] Any electric conversion without this is incomplete.
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2014 8:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

While not a solar conversion expert, I used to work for the company that makes the most efficient cell in the market and I currently work within and on the fringes of the solar industry in cell production.
So over the years I have a pretty good grasp on how it works, the different types of cells and the different inefficiencies and dynamics.

The average non-industrial consumers like we are seeing here ( and other places) generally have no real idea of what is possible and not possible with solar.

The eco/Green movement with regard to solar are their own (and the solar industry's) worst enemy. You end up with a large group of well meaning and enthusiastic people (like the original poster)....who are talking up and pushing solar....usually with an unrealistic vision at best and totally incorrect physics at worst.

In their minds...if you could just cover every surface with solar cells....fossil fuels should be obsolete...and there will be world peace...and everyone can live in an electric VW bus and smoke free prescription weed! Rolling Eyes Laughing

Solar photovoltaics is an awesome industry with a lot of "specific" power capability....most of it being horribly misused.

Telford Dorr: Actually cumulative solar radiation across the entire spectrum during a maximum length day is about 110 to 130 watts per sq. meter depending upon whose information you see. That is just visible light. There is a lot more UV and infrared that may end up making the difference you posted.

This is also why it pays not to go to wall mart for solar panels. There is a huge difference in both panel efficiency and in inverter technology (losses) among solar panels.
Current cell technology does not make use of the UV or Infrared spectrum. And the current maximum theoretical efficiency of standard silicon solar cells is about 33-35% (only parabolic mirror boosted gallium cells have hit that number....only available for $$$$$ for satellites or military)

And....moving forward in the industry as next generation cells (hopefully) ever make it to mass production (dye-based and quantum dot) have a theoretical max efficiency of about 50-60%.

And...next generation cells ARE sensitive to Infrared and some UV. For the past 1.5 years there has been an in the field department of defense test going on in Afghanistan. The military has been using 5th generation cells for charging batteries for radios for long range patrols (3-5 days). Typically the units use D-cells and they have to carry about 25-30 lbs of them.
The next gen cells.....charge at night Shocked from heat (infrared) and during the day from light.
This has allowed using ONE set of batteries on a long range patrol. A big deal.

But the best use of solar has nothing to do with anything automotive. Ray
Skyline
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2014 9:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

telford dorr wrote:
Don't forget regenerative braking - the big secret to successful hybrids. Recovering substantial energy rather than dumping it as heat makes around-town 'mileage' rise substantially. [Does nothing for 'highway' mileage, unfortunately.That's why most hybrid's 'around town' mileage is better than their 'highway' mileage.] Any electric conversion without this is incomplete.

Yes, there are many "other" things I did not mention that would be needed to make any EV reasonably practical. Primary of which is the motor controller itself (including the braking functionality). From my research, as of a couple years ago, there is no commercially available motor controller suitable for an EV conversion. Design from scratch, maybe but not to swap into a cobbled together system. The EV systems from the past are too crude to incorporate all the new features that boost efficiency. The new systems are highly complex and while some people may be able to comprehend them in a DIY install, i would bet there not many.

This circles back to my Prius comment. The "most" workable solution I came up with was to install the complete drivetrain from the Prius (2nd Gen) as a complete unit. This system provides a combined 82KW of available power (~57kW gas engine, ~25 kW electric motor). This install would require extensive modification to the bus, including cutting significant metal to rework the rear suspension and engine mounting, not to mention cooling and assorted systems that would need to be brought over from the donor. All told, I figured it would be twice as complex as a TDi or Subi swap provided all the required sensors could be made to work, specifically wheel sensor to get the regenerative braking functionality.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toyota_Prius_(XW20)

Forgive the simplified math. I don't have my complete calculations with me at the moment.

From Wikipedia Prius battery is 1.310kWh, meaning at 25kW of draw the battery will last 0.0524 hours or about 3 minutes. Based on my 2007 Prius that is about right.

So let’s try to drive our Prius for one hour at 25kW ~40mph (ie 40 miles) assuming constant speed. Also assume you are using a lead acid battery back (35Ah per battery, 12 volts). 35Ah*12/1000 = .42kWh now remember we want to drive for one hour so you need 60 (25/.42) batteries in your pack to drive that one hour. Said battery costs $70 and weighs 20 pounds, therefor 60 batteries cost $4200 and weigh 1200 pounds.

This is where the problems start. Other batteries have similar problems, but it comes down to the amount of energy required to move a vehicle efficiently will either cost big dollars or big weight or both.
Skyline
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2014 9:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Additionally, just for completeness, if you look at the Tesla comparision (i.e. ~100 mile range). I calculated to properly design an EV conversion to a T2 bus would run right around $42,000 pinching every penny I could. I figured it would be close to $65,000 by the time I worked all the bugs out.

My design case was 65 mph for a 60 mile commute or 120 miles round trip. The battery pack assumed Lith-ion or Lith-poly (can't remember) to keep the weight down but increased cost. The technology to keep that kind of battery pack going reliably was cutting edge two years ago. Overcharging Lithium batteries is bad juju. Main reason I started looking the hybrid route.

All my research was shelved because there were to many issues for not enough return. The better solution was to enjoy the vintageness of the bus and smile alot driving it that way.
ferball
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2014 11:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You guys are full of some great info even if you make me feel like a dumb a$$ for starting the thread. Lets be clear there is no practical reason to own an electric car. Compare the MPG of a Toyota Yaris with a Prius and the difference is negligible, but once you figure all the additional costs of ownership associated with a Prius you quickly realize it is all about marketing.

Admittedly I have not done the math side of a full EV build, but again the original intent was never to have a state of the art EV that I cooked up in my garage. I would never expect it to go over 30 MPH and it would be used around town.

The electrical engineers have had their fun with me, so now I'll throw one out for the physicists. My understanding that as your speed increases the power required for acceleration increases geometrically, so the reason an EV get better milage around town has more to do with slow speeds than regen breaks. A gas powered engine is more effiecent on the highway because the engine is always producing a certain amount of power whether the car is moving or not, that power curve crosses the acceleration curve to give you your optimum speed which the gas crisis of the 70's would have you believe was around 50mph.

A small electric motor that engages only at less than 30mph does not seem to be some huge impossible engineering problem. Cruising at 50 mph for an hour is a whole different set of parameters and yes efficiency and aerodynamics suddenly become way more important.

But my original intent with this line of thinking and what I was trying to puzzle out was a bolt on "EV" upgrade for in town driving to get me from one red light to the next.

Please continue to mock me, just include decent info. Thanks
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2014 2:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ferball wrote:
You guys are full of some great info even if you make me feel like a dumb a$$ for starting the thread. Lets be clear there is no practical reason to own an electric car. Compare the MPG of a Toyota Yaris with a Prius and the difference is negligible, but once you figure all the additional costs of ownership associated with a Prius you quickly realize it is all about marketing.

Admittedly I have not done the math side of a full EV build, but again the original intent was never to have a state of the art EV that I cooked up in my garage. I would never expect it to go over 30 MPH and it would be used around town.

The electrical engineers have had their fun with me, so now I'll throw one out for the physicists. My understanding that as your speed increases the power required for acceleration increases geometrically, so the reason an EV get better milage around town has more to do with slow speeds than regen breaks. A gas powered engine is more effiecent on the highway because the engine is always producing a certain amount of power whether the car is moving or not, that power curve crosses the acceleration curve to give you your optimum speed which the gas crisis of the 70's would have you believe was around 50mph.

A small electric motor that engages only at less than 30mph does not seem to be some huge impossible engineering problem. Cruising at 50 mph for an hour is a whole different set of parameters and yes efficiency and aerodynamics suddenly become way more important.

But my original intent with this line of thinking and what I was trying to puzzle out was a bolt on "EV" upgrade for in town driving to get me from one red light to the next.

Please continue to mock me, just include decent info. Thanks

Yes and no to some of that. There is no one thing with a Prius that makes it more efficient around town. Yes....the slow speeds help because it keeps wind resistance down to a level where the drag coefficient still has an advantage...but the regenerative braking is actually a HUGE factor.

This is what we have been trying to get at....the regenerative braking and motor functions of a Prius and other hybrids, not to mention every modern wind turbine...and the new electric power steering systems like my Golf has....are not even remotely related to a basic electric motor of any sort.

They are rare earth magnet equipped, super high efficiency motor/generator sets. They are also micro processor controlled....as is the voltage regulation and the charge status and regulation of charge to the battery.

The Prius at low speeds uses the electric motor for drive. It uses the gas engine when battery power drops. The regenerative braking units are very high output and give significant charge energy to the battery.
It is a parallel system meaning it can run entirely off the gasoline motor...or pretty much.

By comparison the Honda Civic hybrid is a serial system. Both gas and electric drive the system at one time. The computer decides the bias based upon load and acceleration.

Neither system, can be slaved to anything else. You would spend years trying to reprogram the software to work with totally different aerodynamics, non-low rolling resistance tires and high weight.

I dont know if anyone has noticed but they have hardly changed the look/appearance of the Prius since it came out in 1997. Just small details. That is because they really cant. The system is very dependent upon aerodynamics, balance and weight.

If you see the yahoo's in a Prius driving around with 4 people in it, a bike rack and windows down...they are getting no more mileage than you are.

But from your description....you are looking to make an electric low mile grocery getter for low speeds. Just strip a kushman golf cart...actually two...double the lead acid batteries....and you will get something that will probably cruise for 20 miles at 15-20 mph....with flashers on oof course. Ray
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: