Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Official Aussie Dormobile conversion thread
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
mcdonaldneal
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2014 1:13 am    Post subject: Official Aussie Dormobile conversion thread Reply with quote

OK, I'm sure we all know that Dormobile was one of the popular camper conversions for Bay window buses, some would say one of the best, with the side hinged pop top, masses of headroom, tartan hammocks and well designed interiors.
Campmobile and Sopru were the commonest Australian Bay campers and Westfalia conversions were only imported privately.
Less well known is that from 1971, Dormobile UK licensed Dormobile Australia, based in Fyshwick, near Canberra to offer conversion of Australian Bays. These buses had some unique and distinctive features, including their own pop top canvas and internal cabinet materials and fittings.
We're starting this thread to document some of the history of the company, but also for people to post pictures and stories of their Aussie Dormobile buses and their particular features to serve as a reference for everyone.
A few of these buses crossed the Tasman Sea to New Zealand, and a few will have migrated even further. Ours floated 10,500 miles back to Europe, and I'm sure that some other well preserved examples will have done the same!
l'll post more details of ours later, meanwhile a picture of Dormobile heaven to start with...

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Stop dead photo links! Post photos to The Samba Gallery!
orchidkombi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2014 12:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks McDonaldNeal,

I'm a little biased, but I agree that Dormobile is one of the best conversions - and I think certainly the best produced in Australia.

My bus was converted in 10/1976, and was number '707' according to the stamp underneath the seat.

The stickers confirm it was a local conversion, done at 9 Wiluna St Fyshwick, which was an authorised Dormobile factory established by the Cusack family, which had the VW dealership at that time.

I'll post some bits and pieces that I've learned about the local conversions as time permits. But to start with, here's a few photos of our camper.

orchidkombi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2014 2:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And a few more...

orchidkombi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2014 2:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's a little on the Dormobile Australia enterprise, as it existed in the 1970s.

From what we know, the Canberra-based Cusack family was licensed by Dormobile UK in 1971, to begin operations converting vans of various makes in 1971. The VW Transporter (panel van) was the most popular conversion, but not the only vehicle type converted here.

The vans were a hit from very early days, and the local VW conversions came with some useful options - like front-mounted spare tyres (mounted not on a 'roo bar' but a smaller bumper-mounted bracket), and Donaldson brand air-cleaners (presumably for Austrlalia's dusty conditions).

It was quite common to see these vans for resale within a few years of rolling off the factory floor - maybe, like today, families and retirees bought them for a special holiday or trip, and then found them slightly impractical for everyday driving. Some - like ours - were carefully garaged away at that point, only to be rediscovered decades later, and given a second lease on life.

Cusack family members have told me tales of a long queue of VW vans, all waiting at the factory parking lot, for their time on the factory floor. They hated having to cut holes in perfectly good van roofs, but were justifiably proud of the beautiful craftsmanship in the end result that rolled out the door. They said that the cabinet fitters were very quick, and each van was processed with amazing speed. Presumably the cabinetry was pre-assembled and simply slotted into place.

Judging by the quality and options available, many of the parts were shipped from the UK factory - the bunks, for example, are identical to the UK ones. Similarly the cabinets were of a similar design, although I think the laminates were sourced locally and cut in Australia. I would say the fibreglass poptops/window units were shipped from the UK for local assembly.

The pop-top vinyl bellows seem to be a single colour only - a lemony-yellow. I'd be keen to know if this was an option in any other country. The press stud vinyl rivets were stamped with a local company's name, indicating they were sourced locally.

The fibreglass roofs were positioned further forward than previously available overseas versions - to make cooking in the van more practical. It also allowed for the fitting of a steel frame roof rack at the rear of the van.

I can only assume that the interior fabrics were sourced locally, and there must have been many options available, because I'm yet to find another van with our same brown boucle-style woven seat material, or our green curtains.

Operations continued in Fyshwick until the late 1970s, when VW stopped importing / assembling vans in Australia. The factory continued for a few more years, offering conversion on other makes, but obviously the peak had passed by then. Eventually the company was wound up - as was the Cusacks VW empire - and nothing remains of the company records today. Greg Cusack (snr) died back in the early 1980s, and his son, Greg (jnr) has only fading memories of the factory as it operated back then. It was after all, just a part of the Cusack family's vast furniture, property and motorcar empire.

There are still quite a few Dormobiles getting around Australia, although curiously more in the southern states - fewer seem to have made it north to Queensland for example.

The quality of the materials and assembly has meant that some vans are still found in excellent condition. Dormobile cabinetry, like many conversions of the 1970s, suffers predominantly from water damage, as it consists of plastic woodgrain laminate-faced chipboard. This wasn't helped by the positioning of the sink and water source - behind the drivers seat - which made washing up difficult at times (even with a very high roofline with the pop top elevated). Even the most careful washer-upper had trouble keeping the cabinets dry. Our solution was to abandon the sink, and only use water outside the van. But that's just us!

On first glance, the fitout of the Dormobile camper compared to, say, the better-known Westfalia, appears quite sparse. Mainly because the cabinets are aligned down the RHS side of the van, with just a single stove/gas bottle cabinet behind the passenger seat (some vans had a dickie seat here inbuilt as well). Once the roof is elevated, the Dormobile certainly has a tremendous sense of space, again, compared with the Westy. This is a van even the most claustraphobic camper can feel happy in! The Westy also has a more 'cohesive' decor - including the matched fabric seat inserts, curtains and rear seat. The Dormobile kept the original vinyl seats and vinyl door panels, and made no real attempt to match curtains with seat materials! But they do have a charm of their own. I'm sure others who own them agree.

mcdonaldneal
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2014 1:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some photos of our 1978, Dormobile Bay, ex Melbourne Victoria. I can't find a plate to confirm that it was put together in the Canberra factory, but it's very likely. I'll say what I think is Dormobile, and what isn't...

Fridge, rail for the table, countertops and cupboards are Dormy, shelf above windows and drawer above fridge are PO add-ones. Grey laminate above shelf and grey covers for the hammocks in the poptop are also Dormy. 'Carpet' on panel behind drivers seat I'm not sure, probably Dormobile (front seats a replacements).

This shows the cupboard doors, handles and edging strips, the silver and black edging above the seat is Dormobile, the tap is replacement. The seat material is Dormy,(but needs a clean!) The original rail for the table is better seen here. I'm not sure why there is a vent in the storage cupboard, or whether that was there originally.

Distinctive yellow poptop vinyl, and Australian stamped rivet.

Shows light grey interior paneling, 'carpet' on the sliding door and panel the same as behind the front seat. Curtain rails I think are original, take the 'Silent Gliss' loop tape and eared sliders, below...

This shows the rear cupboard, the vertical edging strip is a replacement, the rear cushion for the bed is not in place.

This shows the non Dormobile vent covers in the roof, and the 'D' stamped in the side of the poptop. There is also a 'D' plate for the tailgate, but it's not in place at the moment (it's in the glovebox!)

orchidkombi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2014 2:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote]I'm not sure why there is a vent in the storage cupboard, or whether that was there originally.

Yes, it was there originally!
orchidkombi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2015 4:20 pm    Post subject: Some more Australian Dormobiles Reply with quote

Here's a couple more Aussie Dormys spotted recently. Subtle differences, but the same basic design inside.

notchboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2015 9:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Holley shit balls thats a big visor Shocked Is it meant to net the roo after you hit it? Laughing

OK, this thread is over. You win.

Jason "notchboy" Weigel
1964 1500 S
1964 T34 S Convertible
1977 Westfalia Camper pop-top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mcdonaldneal
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2015 10:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

notchboy wrote:
Holley shit balls thats a big visor Shocked Is it meant to net the roo after you hit it? Laughing

Actually laughed out loud there! Very Happy
Here's the screen on ours. Not a Dormy accessory, but a fairly common Australian one. Stone screen. View through it's not the greatest! Wink

orchidkombi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2015 2:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

notchboy wrote:

You guys clearly haven't seen the size of the bugs we have down here! Wink
orchidkombi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2015 2:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mcdonaldneal wrote:
notchboy wrote:

Here's the screen on ours. Not a Dormy accessory, but a fairly common Australian one. Stone screen. View through it's not the greatest! Wink

Phil I've actually seen two or three Dormys down here with them now (or at least the brackets that holds them). They are def. a period accessory offered at the time of sale by VW/Dormy (and potentially others). The brackets can cause rust where they're attached to the frame - can you ever take the brackets off or are they permanently attached? I guess you could drill out the rivets, but that'd look ugly in its own way...
mcdonaldneal
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2015 2:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My stone screen brackets are attached by a pretty shoddy arrangement of three self tapping screws into holes in the seam of the A pillar.
Talk about a rust trap! Rolling Eyes
Luckily it doesn't hold water and mine are rust free for now. Confused

notchboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2015 8:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That a serious piece of Kit for your bus Laughing

Reminds me a a face guard for your bus Wink

Jason "notchboy" Weigel
1964 1500 S
1964 T34 S Convertible
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
orchidkombi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2015 2:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mcdonaldneal wrote:
notchboy wrote:

And, oh, your nose is soooo shiny. Why no stone chips? Has it had a respray?? #jealousofyournose
mcdonaldneal
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2016 12:53 am    Post subject: Re: Official Aussie Dormobile conversion thread Reply with quote

Just finishing a long refurbishment of our Dormy interior. The cabinets are made of particleboard, which is the shittest material possible for the purpose. Twisted Evil It absorbs water and swells and splits. I wanted to keep the original cupboards, and couldn't match the laminate, so I clamped the split parts and used strong wood glue and superglue. Worked out ok! The fridge has been cleaned, polished and repainted the original colour and the trim strips on the cupboards cleaned and bleached.

notchboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2016 8:06 am    Post subject: Re: Official Aussie Dormobile conversion thread Reply with quote

Yep a good clean and a tweak here and there goes far! Looking good Cool

Jason "notchboy" Weigel
1964 1500 S
1964 T34 S Convertible
NASkeet
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2016 8:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

orchidkombi wrote:
notchboy wrote:

You guys clearly haven't seen the size of the bugs we have down here! Wink

That wire-mesh screen, looks rather like those used on European police riot squad minibuses, as illustrated in the official 1968~79 VW Type 2 Replacement Parts Catalogue & Microfiche.

http://www.ratwell.com/technical/Microfiche.html

http://www.ratwell.com/technical/Microfiche/t208320.gif

It's well known that in Australia much of the fauna there will either eat you or find other ways to kill you with lethal venom; such as sharks, salt-water crocodiles, box jellyfish, snakes, spiders, etc.

Nigel A. Skeet

Independent tutor (semi-retired) of mathematics, physics, technology & engineering for secondary, tertiary, further & higher education.

Much modified, RHD 1973 VW "1600" Type 2 Westfalia Continental campervan, with the World's only decent, cross-over-arm, SWF pantograph rear-window wiper

Onetime member, plus former Technical Editor & Editor of Transporter Talk magazine
Volkswagen Type 2 Owners' Club (Great Britain)

http://www.vwt2oc.net
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mcdonaldneal
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2016 6:15 am    Post subject: Re: Official Aussie Dormobile conversion thread Reply with quote

Something had always bothered me about our Aussie Dormobile. The production number and stamp wasn't under the rock and roll bed, as it is with the earlier models.
I can't believe I've never seen this before, so I probably have, but not noticed it enough to register! Behind the drivers seat, near the Australian approval plate, is riveted a Dormobile conversion plaque. Just thought I'd post for info!

mcdonaldneal
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2016 3:49 am    Post subject: Re: Official Aussie Dormobile conversion thread Reply with quote

Australian? Check.
Dormobile? Check.
Slickly filmed, beautifully lit, short video. Shot in the Highlands and Islands of Scotland, featuring a ?'72 Dormobile camper. Almost certainly a UK conversion. (Old-style British number plate, first registered in Liverpool)
Looks like just another Scottish holiday video to me!...
Thanks to Unfazed, and the VW Kombi Aussie Dormobiles Facebook page (shameless plug!)

Link

mcdonaldneal
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2019 11:40 am    Post subject: Re: Official Aussie Dormobile conversion thread Reply with quote

There’s more to this story than meets the eye, but I wanted to add to this thread with some more documentation pictures of another very original Australian Dormobile conversion. In fact, it came off the Dormobile production line in 1976 only five vehicles before the white Kombi belonging to orchidkombi above!

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: