Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

In the process of buying a 73 Thing
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
joviality
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2014 4:10 pm    Post subject: In the process of buying a 73 Thing Reply with quote

So i am currently in the process of buying an 1973 Thing and i have a quick question about the title. The VIN starts with 183 which from reading on here i have heard is correct, but the for the Model it is listed as a 183 is this correct? Maybe it's a silly question but i just assumed it would be listed as a Thing or a Type 181
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
mondshine
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2014 5:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 3rd digit in the VIN represents the year of manufacture (1973)
Looks good, have fun, Mondshine
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
77kafer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2014 6:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And the model should be listed as Thing or Type 181.

Overheard on 27 June 07, one lady to another when they saw my Harli in a parking lot at West Point, "maybe he found it on the clearance aisle at the Volkswagen dealer"
waxhead
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2014 8:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Be careful! If it's a northeast car it could be full of Bondo.
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2014 5:23 am    Post subject: new Thingy Reply with quote

Welcome, where do you come from in Pa.? I am a little east of Pittsburgh, and its been quite a while since I have seen another Thing on the road.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2014 5:35 am    Post subject: new Thingy Reply with quote

Welcome, where do you come from in Pa.? I am a little east of Pittsburgh, and its been quite a while since I have seen another Thing on the road.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2014 5:35 am    Post subject: new Thingy Reply with quote

[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2014 5:36 am    Post subject: new Thingy Reply with quote

oasis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2014 5:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

joviality wrote:
The VIN starts with 183 which from reading on here i have heard is correct, but the for the Model it is listed as a 183 is this correct? Maybe it's a silly question but i just assumed it would be listed as a Thing or a Type 181

mondshine wrote:
The 3rd digit in the VIN represents the year of manufacture (1973)

77kafer wrote:
And the model should be listed as Thing or Type 181.

Being new to this, joviality, I want you to know both of the above answers are correct.

Therefore, if the title you are receiving says Type 183 as being the model, this is not correct and the current owner should correct this before passing it to you. Registering and insuring your Thing could become a major hassle you don't deserve.

A Type 183 is an Iltis which was never officially imported into the US.
CraigInPA
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2014 7:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The type 183 Iltis is now over 25 years old, so it's unlikely to cause you issues with titling or insurance. This, and the fact that it wasn't made concurrently with the 181 Thing, makes your life easier.

There's a PA form that can be submitted to correct title issues. IIRC, it's about $25 to re-do the title to state the correct model, vin, or year. All cars over 25 years old are exempt from reporting mileage when you obtain a title. Collector car insurance policies typically require you to report mileage to make sure you're not using it as a daily driver.

I'm in the eastern part of the state, near King of Prussia, PA.
joviality
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2014 3:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

waxhead wrote:
Be careful! If it's a northeast car it could be full of Bondo.

The car is originally from Tennessee
joviality
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2014 3:53 pm    Post subject: Re: new Thingy Reply with quote

[email protected] wrote:

From Warren, PA about 3 hours north of Pittsburgh
joviality
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2014 3:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CraigInPA wrote:
The type 183 Iltis is now over 25 years old, so it's unlikely to cause you issues with titling or insurance. This, and the fact that it wasn't made concurrently with the 181 Thing, makes your life easier.

There's a PA form that can be submitted to correct title issues. IIRC, it's about $25 to re-do the title to state the correct model, vin, or year. All cars over 25 years old are exempt from reporting mileage when you obtain a title. Collector car insurance policies typically require you to report mileage to make sure you're not using it as a daily driver.

I'm in the eastern part of the state, near King of Prussia, PA.

Thank you, i'm hoping i don't get too many issues Confused
NYDolfan928
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2014 7:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I looked at that exact same one. Would love to hear how it goes for you so I can kick myself in the butt for passing on it.
oasis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2014 10:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CraigInPA wrote:

Titling an Iltis wouldn't be a problem. It's titling a Thing that's called an Iltis that would be the problem just as titling a Thing as Model T would be -- differing eras or not. You must have a great DMV in Pennsylvania. In Maryland, you would have to prove the error title you have goes to the car you want to title. Good luck with that if the seller has the documentation or, worse, there is no documentation.

Maryland has a form, too. That only gets you started. Thankfully, I have never had to do it but I have heard horror stories from those not so lucky. And if the car was ever involved in something untoward in its long history, that may be investigated, too.

Titling a car that has no title (some states don't require it if they're of a certain age) is mildly better, but keeping a car in limbo while the process is vetted kept me from ever buying a car from one of those states. (Well, sort of -- my Thing actually did come from one of those states but it did have a title.)

Years ago, I bought a VW Pickup so I could drive to my then-new job and get 45 MPG while piling on the junk miles. The DMV didn't care it was a Rabbit without the Rabbit name. It was titled as a pick-up and I was charged nearly three times as much for tags because in their eyes it was closer to an F-150 than it was to a compact car. How it was registered was how the insurance company wanted to insure it. I eventually was able to rectify the second part thanks to a great agent, but trouble registering a car equals trouble insuring it.

That's my personal testimony and not something anecdotal. I don't want to see anyone to have to go through any nonsense when it's avoidable.
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2014 5:57 am    Post subject: thingy Reply with quote

My Thing is titled in Pa., pretty easy, I go to AAA for all that. I also have collectors insurance, have had the same company, American Collectors, for many years. I drive my car a lot,it is titled Antique, and I have an Antique plate, the good part about that is the 65.00 fee is one time not yearly. I have never had to report mileage of the car to my insurance company, except when I first got that policy. Oh, one more thing about Pa., antique cars are exempt from state inspection, and the emission inspection, a huge plus.
CraigInPA
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2014 6:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

oasis wrote:
CraigInPA wrote:

Titling an Iltis wouldn't be a problem. It's titling a Thing that's called an Iltis that would be the problem just as titling a Thing as Model T would be -- differing eras or not. You must have a great DMV in Pennsylvania. In Maryland, you would have to prove the error title you have goes to the car you want to title. Good luck with that if the seller has the documentation or, worse, there is no documentation.

Not so in PA, from my own personal experience. I had a 1954 Jaguar Mk VII I purchased that listed itself as a "Jaguar Mark" on the title with no year. I filed the form with PA, and sent it in the fee and a trace of the VIN. About 6 weeks later, I received a title that said 1954 Jaguar Mk VII. Before I filed the form, I spoke to someone in the DMV, who told me that they'd reference the VIN to other ones on file if I didn't provide any documentation to prove it was a 1954 (such as a build sheet). To verify the model of car, they said they look up the older cars in "various old car books" to see what was produced in a given model year by a given manufacturer. If it matches what the owner says it is, they'll put it on the title.

In the past, I've purchased cars where the title was lost. There are numerous places on the web that will supply you a title. The danger in buying such a car is that it might have been reported stolen by some previous owner. When you go to title it in your state using the newly purchased out of state title, the DMV will do a search to see if the car has been reported as stolen. If it has, you lose the car. I had a friend who went through that. Not fun at all.
citroen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2014 9:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought a thing from Indiana the owner said he had a good title and had been paying tax on it for years when I applied for a title in ky I found that it also had a title in Kentucky and another person was using the title to get license plates on his car in ky. Lucky for me my sister works for the license bureau in ky and was able to get me a correct ky title for the thing. So make sure everything is proper before you buy.
GMByers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 27, 2014 3:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glad to. see another Thing in the area. Mine's just down the road in Sheffield.
NYDolfan928
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2014 4:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any update ? How is it ?
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: