Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Door panel, Door card templates
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
rustybutterknife
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2014 6:32 am    Post subject: Door panel, Door card templates Reply with quote

working on making good templates that will work for early and late bays. Question is what format would you guys like these to be in? I can easily do PDF, AutoCAD DWG and DXF. I'd like to make them open for others to tweak and refine but can't control scale as easily if we do that. any suggestions? I only currently have a rough 1st version AutoCAD DWG printed off that I'm going to mess with until I'm satisfied then post it here.
Manfreds78bay
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2014 7:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PDF is my vote, but why can't you do all?

1982 AMC Eagle SX4 4.2L FI
bikeboy480
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2014 8:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree that PDF files would be the most useful to the most people. CAD files would be great for future editing and manipulating but I don't think very many of us would have the necessary software to do so.

I also offer a hearty "Thank you!" if you can deliver on this.
rustybutterknife
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2014 8:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bikeboy480 wrote:
I agree that PDF files would be the most useful to the most people. CAD files would be great for future editing and manipulating but I don't think very many of us would have the necessary software to do so.

I also offer a hearty "Thank you!" if you can deliver on this.

well, I'm going to refine my template and make panels from them for my bus over the next week or two (before circle yer wagens) and once satisfied with the template it won't be any trouble to create PDF and post it AND the cad file here. Mine will be sans the vent and armrest holes but if someone wants to add those and re-post that would be great. neat thing is that with the DWG layers in PDF all you would have to do is turn layers on or off to your liking and display only what you need for your application before plotting. first version will have general outline, hole locations for winder crank, latch handle, early door pull, "hidden" clips, and "exposed" dome head clips (door hole layout). Past that it could be updated by others to include all other variants.
rustybutterknife
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2014 5:21 am    Post subject: Door panel templates Reply with quote

files are ready if someone wants to step up and host them.
81.2KB on the AutoCAD version and 31.6KB on the PDF.
for now, I guess if you want the file(s) email me and specify which format you need. If you have too much difficulty with printing and want me to mail you a paper copy I can do that too.
[email protected]
once my site is back up again, I'll probably host them there. Whenever that happens I'll add a link here.
PDF version --> http://nocturnal-labs.org/bay_bus_door_panel.pdf
AutoCAD version --> http://nocturnal-labs.org/bay_bus_door_panel.dwg
Thanks BigDan!
basic printing instructions are included in files.

info we still need to update templates to include all variants:
late style armrest holes, size and location
vent grille rectangle hole, size and location
holes for the "elephant trunk" vent, size and location
if anyone wants to provide dimensions and a sketch of these I'll add them to the template and update.

Last edited by rustybutterknife on Fri Sep 26, 2014 3:57 am; edited 4 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Bala
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2014 7:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't need the files, but it's awesome that you are sharing your work! Smile

1966 Beetle
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
rustybutterknife
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2014 10:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bala wrote:
I don't need the files, but it's awesome that you are sharing your work! Smile

it's not a problem. The wife did spend a few hours cutting and taping pieces together to get them just right. I owe her a big thanks on this one. My OCD just would not allow me to make any progress on them until I had something I could scan and trace in autocad. I'm going to keep them free to use but if anyone using them wants to make a paypal donation to Emmett's college fund, hey, that's cool too.
Here he is helping me stay focused LOL.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

19BUG70
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2014 7:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you working on any other templates for various panels? This one for the door is very cool.
1966 Fastback TL
BusPriest
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2014 2:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is AWESOME. I was looking around thinking surely someone had done this, but couldnt find it. But look here, you came to the rescue!
rustybutterknife
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2015 9:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Apparently the server is down, if anyone wants these files send your request to the email listed above.
rustybutterknife
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2015 9:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

19BUG70 wrote:
Are you working on any other templates for various panels? This one for the door is very cool.

thanks for the feedback! It's looking like I may need to re-make my sliding door panel in the near future, but for now I've had to move on to other projects. If anyone wants to send me loose panels I can quickly and easily trace and scan them for others to use, otherwise i'll just work on archiving templates as the opportunity to remove panels presents itself.
rustybutterknife
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2015 12:26 pm    Post subject: Re: door panel, door card templates Reply with quote

I've been getting a lot of requests for other panels. The offer still stands: if anyone wants to send me sketches, dimensions on a napkin, mail me old panels, whatever way you choose to get info to me, I can work on developing templates of other panels to share here. For now it's limited to the front cab doors. E-mail Is still the preferred way to get ahold of me.
jtauxe Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2015 12:35 pm    Post subject: Re: door panel, door card templates Reply with quote

I have a whole set of panels from a 1979 transporter where the vinyl fell off but the panel board is in good shape. Would anyone be interested in these?
1969 Transporter, 1971 Westfalia, 1976, 1977, 1976, 1977, 1971, 1973, 1977 Westfalias,
1979 Champagne Sunroof, 1974 Westfalia Automatic, 1979 Transporter, 1972 Sportsmobile, 1973 Transporter Wild Westerner, 1974 Westfalia parts bus
, 1975 Mexican single cab *FOR SALE*, 1978 Irish 4-door double cab RHD
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Peabody
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2016 4:25 am    Post subject: Re: Door panel, Door card templates Reply with quote

I'd be happy to work any 2D prints up in Solidworks into a 3D CAD model. I can then make prints that could be taken to any cabinet shop to be built. Or you could do them yourself. I can also convert them to virtually any format desired. I'd actually love to accurately model an entire bus but I don't have time for all my projects as it is. I have some 3D models (VW related) that are pretty neat though and I'd be happy to share.

Please PM me with any details. I couldn't pull anything up on the above links. May be a google chrome thing, I'll try explorer or firefox.
'74 Westy (parts)
rustybutterknife
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2016 10:47 am    Post subject: Re: door panel, door card templates Reply with quote

jtauxe wrote:
I have a whole set of panels from a 1979 transporter where the vinyl fell off but the panel board is in good shape. Would anyone be interested in these?

If you want to send them to me I can make templates to share.
birdmanp
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2016 4:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Door panel, Door card templates Reply with quote

Anyone happen to have the old files hosted somewhere? Or could email them to me?

Thank you rustybutterknife for emailing the files to me. I am going to host the files here for a while. PM me and let me know if the link stops working.

Millwright/Rigging comes natural to me. I guess I am just used to fitting big things in small places.
Clarkson Industrial Contractors
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
rustybutterknife
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2017 4:49 am    Post subject: Re: Door panel, Door card templates Reply with quote

birdmanp wrote:
Anyone happen to have the old files hosted somewhere? Or could email them to me?

Thank you rustybutterknife for emailing the files to me. I am going to host the files here for a while. PM me and let me know if the link stops working.

Thanks for stepping up to host them. I'd love to get my webpage back up and going again and have them there but there's just too much going on right now to devote time to it.
thxsound1138
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2018 3:30 am    Post subject: Re: Door panel, Door card templates Reply with quote

Hey Rustybutterknife,

I would like to thank you for the door card template. I'm thinking of re-doing mine.

Thanks again.

Cheers.

G.
rustybutterknife
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2018 11:00 am    Post subject: Re: Door panel, Door card templates Reply with quote

thxsound1138 wrote:
Hey Rustybutterknife,

I would like to thank you for the door card template. I'm thinking of re-doing mine.

Thanks again.

Cheers.

G.

Quite welcome Sir. Good luck with your panels.
mattsaintg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2018 10:32 am    Post subject: Re: Door panel, Door card templates Reply with quote

Is there a PDF with dimensions of these panels available?

I'm look for everything but the front doors. I'd use my panels as templates, but no longer have them around.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: