Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Insulation / sound deadening thread FAQ
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
ivwshane
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2016 3:26 am    Post subject: Re: The great insulation/ sound deadening thread... Reply with quote

khalimadeath wrote:
Ordered some reckhorn and will be installing soon, I am still trying to decide what to install on the celling and side walls. I am leaning towards ezcool.

Where did you order from? And please let us know what your experience is in terms of sound deadenin.

Has anyone thought or tried using thinner foam and a layer of jute for the bottom bed and bench seat in a westy?
BUSBOSS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2016 8:06 am    Post subject: Re: The great insulation/ sound deadening thread... Reply with quote

I can highly recommend BXTII by RAAMaudio. I am not affiliated with them in any way. Their products are top notch.

My experience with their products can be found here:

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=373683&highlight=insulation

The product link is here:

http://www.raamaudio.com/
(sold - but not forgotten)
khalimadeath
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2016 10:06 am    Post subject: Re: The great insulation/ sound deadening thread... Reply with quote

ivwshane wrote:
khalimadeath wrote:
Ordered some reckhorn and will be installing soon, I am still trying to decide what to install on the celling and side walls. I am leaning towards ezcool.

Where did you order from? And please let us know what your experience is in terms of sound deadenin.

Has anyone thought or tried using thinner foam and a layer of jute for the bottom bed and bench seat in a westy?

I ordered through amazon. I also ended up going with reflectex for the walls and ceiling for insulation. I am taking photos and will report back once all my interior is reinstalled.
ivwshane
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2016 8:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Insulation / sound deadening thread... Reply with quote

Is there any consensus about the best strategic places to get the most bang for the buck in terms of getting a quieter interior without covering every square inch of a particular area? To me it would seem that the best places to put small strips of sound deadening material would be the engine hatch, underneath the bench, front and rear wheel wells, doors, and the nose.

Does anyone have any input? I'd like to improve my ride but I don't want to have to remove the full westy interior.
khalimadeath
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2016 9:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Insulation / sound deadening thread... Reply with quote

Doors and above engine would be good places to start, its never bad to take the interior out, you can get some deep cleaning done and then insulate and deaden everything while you are in there. Its not to difficult.

Someone didnt like my original threat tittle Laughing Give me some sticky love if your gonna change the name.

Also I installed reflectix and reckhorn in my bus today, the 21' roll from reckhorn was not enough. Get 2 if your doing the main floor and front. Ill post pics when I am all done, im taking progress pics. The 16'x25' reflectix was enough to cover above the driver under the headliner, walls above the rear wheel wells and the slider and opposing wall.
ivwshane
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2016 2:04 am    Post subject: Re: Insulation / sound deadening thread... Reply with quote

khalimadeath wrote:
Doors and above engine would be good places to start, its never bad to take the interior out, you can get some deep cleaning done and then insulate and deaden everything while you are in there. Its not to difficult.

Someone didnt like my original threat tittle Laughing Give me some sticky love if your gonna change the name.

Also I installed reflectix and reckhorn in my bus today, the 21' roll from reckhorn was not enough. Get 2 if your doing the main floor and front. Ill post pics when I am all done, im taking progress pics. The 16'x25' reflectix was enough to cover above the driver under the headliner, walls above the rear wheel wells and the slider and opposing wall.

Are you doing a full coverage install or just patches? I'm looking at the rekhorn stuff as well, did you go with the 80mil or the 100mil roll?
khalimadeath
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2016 9:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Insulation / sound deadening thread Reply with quote

OK so after 2 rolls of reckhorn and almost 2 rolls of reflectex this is where I am at.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Sorry they aren't in order. WEAR gloves with the reckhorn, I got a couple nasty cuts from the edges of the reckhorn. (I guess I didnt learn the first time.) I also used foil Reflectex tape on all the seams and edges after it was laid down. It is gonna be a good 60ish lbs added in weight but it will be worth it to me. Ill report back when everything is finalized.
lintbrush
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2016 12:34 am    Post subject: Re: Insulation / sound deadening thread Reply with quote

FYI: All reports I've seen about reflectix is you get very little if there is no air gap. Essentially you just get like an R1 from the foil/bubble layer. Reflectix website states: "No Air Space = No Reflective Insulation Benefit".

I cut some foam pipe insulation to create a small air cavity before I put reflectix in.

khalimadeath
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2016 10:27 am    Post subject: Re: Insulation / sound deadening thread Reply with quote

There will be plenty of gap between the panels and the Relectix, The headliner does not sit flush against the celling. Its the wood headliner so there is about a 2 inch gap. An obvious gap between the rest of the panels.
lintbrush
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2016 10:37 am    Post subject: Re: Insulation / sound deadening thread Reply with quote

Cool. I thought perhaps it was smack against the roof with adhesive. Hope it works out for you. I live in mild Northern California so don't experience much temperature swings. I put the reflectix in just because I had the ceiling panel down.

khalimadeath wrote:
There will be plenty of gap between the panels and the Relectix, The headliner does not sit flush against the celling. Its the wood headliner so there is about a 2 inch gap. An obvious gap between the rest of the panels.

Big Papi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2016 10:00 am    Post subject: Re: The great insulation/ sound deadening thread... Reply with quote

Pinetops wrote:
Reckhorn ABX

Reflectix velcro'd on

Home Depot Acoustical barrier (mass loaded vinyl)

How did you affix the MLV on to the other substrate materials? I have read that adhesives are not recommended because they can reactive with the MLV.
captincanuck
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2016 11:27 am    Post subject: Re: Insulation / sound deadening thread Reply with quote

So I spent the better part of Saturday doing some sound deadening/insulating in the tank hole. Wasn't going to drop $$$ on Dynamat and have been reading up on using "Peel and Seal" as a cheaper alternative.
http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/threads/screw-d...al.711889/
It's a Lowe's item, but not Lowe's Canada Crying or Very sad
For us peeps across the boarder, go for this
http://www.rona.ca/en/multipurpose-waterproofing-m...reId=10151
(Resisto Multipurpose Aluminum Waterproofing Membrane)
Here is the results

Curtquarquesso
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2016 3:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Insulation / sound deadening thread Reply with quote

What should I be using in the nose of my '78 Westy to replace the original fiberglass? Because of some rust holes in the front, I've disposed of the majority of the ruined, damp, nasty yellow fiberglass insulation.

I'm in Florida, so keeping warmth in isn't a priority.

I'd like it to be removable, and not require permanent adhesives or hole-drilling.

Some sound-deadening would also be nice, but I don't think that's an area that needs it that much. (could be wrong)

Suggestions?

ivwshane
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2016 9:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Insulation / sound deadening thread Reply with quote

Wait! Did the front of the bus contain fiberglass from the factory?
khalimadeath
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2016 9:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Insulation / sound deadening thread Reply with quote

Curtquarquesso wrote:
What should I be using in the nose of my '78 Westy to replace the original fiberglass? Because of some rust holes in the front, I've disposed of the majority of the ruined, damp, nasty yellow fiberglass insulation.

I'm in Florida, so keeping warmth in isn't a priority.

I'd like it to be removable, and not require permanent adhesives or hole-drilling.

Some sound-deadening would also be nice, but I don't think that's an area that needs it that much. (could be wrong)

Suggestions?

Hmm I didnt realize there was fiberglass in there, id imagine sound deadening wouldn't do much there. I would get some new fresh fiberglass, assuming of course you have fixed the rust holes. If not I would just remove it all together so it doesn't hold moisture.
moab762
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2016 9:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Insulation / sound deadening thread Reply with quote

I'd stick with fiberglass or rig up some EZ Cool. Lowes has some good sound deadening fiberglass.
airschooled
Air-Schooled

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2016 9:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Insulation / sound deadening thread Reply with quote

Hmmm, I'm not sure VW put fiberglass there. I've seen some kind of styrofoam stuck to the front of several unmolested buses, but never any fiberglass. Busdaddy?? Surprised
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
moab762
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2016 9:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Insulation / sound deadening thread Reply with quote

asiab3 wrote:
Hmmm, I'm not sure VW put fiberglass there. I've seen some kind of styrofoam stuck to the front of several unmolested buses, but never any fiberglass. Busdaddy?? Surprised

Ya. That's a better question. Is it supposed to be there in the first place? Unless you just trying to do some sound deadening. In that case I would cover the entire area with a thin material and sound deaden behind it. Maybe a layer of EZ Cool and some insulation.
Hoody
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2016 9:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Insulation / sound deadening thread Reply with quote

I will let you guys in on a little secret....Lobucrod is nothing more then LOW-E that someone has decided to buy in bulk and cut up into smaller pieces and re-market it at a MASSIVE mark up. I bought a roll of the stuff. I think it's a 5 feet tall. I don't even know by how many feet long it is. But it's enough to entirely do the interior of probably 5 Buses. If you can find a distributor locally which there probably is one....an entire roll is 100 bucks. The worst thing about getting a roll of this is that you need a Bus, a minivan, or a pick up truck to move it. It won't fit in a car. It's far superior to the bubble wrap stuff from Lowe's. There are lots of different types now. When
bought a roll there was just the double sided aluminum style. It's great stuff and very easy to work with.
Curtquarquesso
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2016 10:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Insulation / sound deadening thread Reply with quote

ivwshane wrote:
Wait! Did the front of the bus contain fiberglass from the factory?

khalimadeath wrote:
Hmm I didnt realize there was fiberglass in there, id imagine sound deadening wouldn't do much there. I would get some new fresh fiberglass, assuming of course you have fixed the rust holes. If not I would just remove it all together so it doesn't hold moisture.

moab762 wrote:
I'd stick with fiberglass or rig up some EZ Cool. Lowes has some good sound deadening fiberglass.

asiab3 wrote:

moab762 wrote:
Ya. That's a better question. Is it supposed to be there in the first place? Unless you just trying to do some sound deadening. In that case I would cover the entire area with a thin material and sound deaden behind it. Maybe a layer of EZ Cool and some insulation.

Service records on the car from the original owner show that it was rust-proofed not long after he bought it overseas. When I was removing the soggy fiberglass insulation, it had to be separated from the gunky rust-proofing on the inside of the nose.

The fiberglass insulation was either installed at factory, removed for rust-proofing, then put back, or it was installed for the first time shortly after rust-proofing.

It has all the original (?) fiberglass insulation in it in sliding door, the trunk hatch, above the front head-liner, and some other places. The fiberglass matches, or is just very similar. I still have good large chunks of it I can document and share I believe. Who knows where it came from. I just made the assumption they came with some insulation.

If I'm going to be replacing the kick panels, would it make sense to stick my EZ Cool or Reflectix to my kick panels, and just put some larger chunks of insulation in the cavities? I don't want to stick anything to the nose just yet, as the nose may eventually receive some work, and I don't want any of it to get in the way.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 3 of 6

Jump to: