Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Insulation / sound deadening thread FAQ
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
WestyPop
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2018 2:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Insulation / sound deadening thread FAQ Reply with quote

vwwestyman wrote:
While I generally like driving my '78 with TDI motor, it is kind of noisy.

So I've been thinking of ways to quiet it down!

FYI: '82-? Vanagon diesels (at least the Westfalia models) had a better oem mat/carpet inside the cab laying over the engine area than did the gassers. They were much more effective at killing the diesel's clacking song while heading down the road, and can be trimmed to fit a baywindow.
68 Westy
(+ others)
vwwestyman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2018 3:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Insulation / sound deadening thread FAQ Reply with quote

WestyPop wrote:
vwwestyman wrote:
While I generally like driving my '78 with TDI motor, it is kind of noisy.

So I've been thinking of ways to quiet it down!

FYI: '82-? Vanagon diesels (at least the Westfalia models) had a better oem mat/carpet inside the cab laying over the engine area than did the gassers. They were much more effective at killing the diesel's clacking song while heading down the road, and can be trimmed to fit a baywindow.

I have seen some good-looking-if-expensive floor mat material out there that is supposed to kill sound too, which I was thinking about if this project doesn't do all I want it to do.

Any idea what the Vanagon mats were made of?

President, Wild Westerner Club

1978 Champagne Edition Westy, repowered to '97 Jetta TDI
1973 Wild Westerner
My Thing
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
oc92
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2019 4:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Insulation / sound deadening thread FAQ Reply with quote

... what about the wooden rear seat on Westy? Would it make sense to put some sound deadening on the inside of the wood panels as well? Or do the Dynamat type products only work for sound resonating on metal panels?

72 bus
70 bug
96 mx5
airschooled
Air-Schooled

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2019 4:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Insulation / sound deadening thread FAQ Reply with quote

oc92 wrote:
... what about the wooden rear seat on Westy? Would it make sense to put some sound deadening on the inside of the wood panels as well? Or do the Dynamat type products only work for sound resonating on metal panels?

Your latter thoughts are correct- Westy wood doesn’t transmit vibrations like metal.

A few blankets over the engine go a long way too Wink
Robbie
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
TomWesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2019 10:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Insulation / sound deadening thread FAQ Reply with quote

asiab3 wrote:
oc92 wrote:

Your latter thoughts are correct- Westy wood doesn’t transmit vibrations like metal.

A few blankets over the engine go a long way too Wink
Robbie
That’s just irresponsible. Cool
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Classifieds Feedback
oc92
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2019 6:26 am    Post subject: Re: Insulation / sound deadening thread FAQ Reply with quote

no its cool... I already did the engine with spray foam Smile

72 bus
70 bug
96 mx5
vwwestyman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2019 8:59 am    Post subject: Re: Insulation / sound deadening thread FAQ Reply with quote

It will be a while before I can drive and see the difference, but I ordered a roll of this to try insulating the Westy with.

My main goal is to quiet down the diesel engine noise, but I think I'll try insulating with it in other places as I have panels off for whatever reason.

While I have the engine out, I plan to basically cut it in such a way as to fill all the open spaces in the fuel tank area, hoping to absorb as much noise as possible.

I chose it as it's not supposed to soak up water. I was looking at hydrophobic melamine foam, but pointed at this because it'll be more durable than the foam.
https://www.yahoosoundproofing.com/americamat.html

1973 Wild Westerner
My Thing
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
vwwestyman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2019 11:36 am    Post subject: Re: Insulation / sound deadening thread FAQ Reply with quote

vwwestyman wrote:
It will be a while before I can drive and see the difference, but I ordered a roll of this to try insulating the Westy with.

My main goal is to quiet down the diesel engine noise, but I think I'll try insulating with it in other places as I have panels off for whatever reason.

While I have the engine out, I plan to basically cut it in such a way as to fill all the open spaces in the fuel tank area, hoping to absorb as much noise as possible.

I chose it as it's not supposed to soak up water. I was looking at hydrophobic melamine foam, but pointed at this because it'll be more durable than the foam.
https://www.yahoosoundproofing.com/americamat.html

The giant roll of insulation I ordered arrived last week but I haven't had ability to do anything about it due to either time or being too damn cold out!

I ordered a bit of this stuff:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0725ZHDPS/ref=p...&psc=1

I plan to install it next to the metal where ever I install that insulation mat, to prevent the mat from trapping water next to the metal. It should still be able to drain on out.

1973 Wild Westerner
My Thing
dirigible
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2019 11:47 am    Post subject: Re: Insulation / sound deadening thread FAQ Reply with quote

I've removed all the panels and OEM sound damping/insulation from the cavities, and I'm trying to determine what to refill them with. Here's what I've learned from this thread:
1. Don't use batting, because it absorbs moisture. (Agreed.)
2. Don't use FatMat-type solutions because it makes a mess. (Agreed.)

Are there any options I'm missing? I was happy with the noise-level of the OEM batting... I just want to achieve the same in the least destructive way possible.
Joey
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2019 8:33 am    Post subject: Re: Insulation / sound deadening thread FAQ Reply with quote

My '60 bus had Dynamat Extreme applied to the area under the rear bench/bed. I was looking for something under my rear bench/bed seat one day and noticed a few bulges in the Dynamat. I pushed on it and it felt spongy. I made a slice in the Dynamat and out came some liquid! It wasn't water as it was -7C that day. It it ended up being the de-greaser I used a few month earlier to clean the engine compartment. I've since removed the Dynamt. What a pain that was! There was some surface rust starting in the areas where the de-greaser was trapped under the Dynamat. The cargo floor and most of the interior walls was covered in some sort of black glue/tar goop. To remove that I had to use a heat gun, propane torch, plastic scraper and minerial spirits. Many, many hours was spent removing that goop....

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I was surprised the floor wasn't more rusty as most of the drain holes were covered over with the goop. Being from California must of helped.

Be careful what you choose for insulation and sound deadener...

‘60 Kombi - '74 Bus - '79 Panel - '65 Beetle
Love77
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2019 10:06 am    Post subject: Re: Insulation / sound deadening thread FAQ Reply with quote

I've seen on some other postings that people have put Butyl Automotive Sound Deadener Mat (like this https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0751CBXBT/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1) under their front seats to dampen sound noise from the wheel wells.

The question I have is since this is also where my AUX battery set up is, do people just install the components over the mat?
vwwestyman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2019 10:23 am    Post subject: Re: Insulation / sound deadening thread FAQ Reply with quote

Looks like you're working with a Vanagon. Our Buses don't have the batteries up front under the seats, they're in the back with the engine.

I don't know why you couldn't use that stuff under the battery, though I know the compartments are pretty tight, so you'd want to be careful to not lift it up too much and cause fitment issues.

1973 Wild Westerner
My Thing
Thrasher22
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2020 5:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Insulation / sound deadening thread FAQ Reply with quote

Has anyone tried putting flooring underlay over the engine bay area? This stuff advertises being "dense, closed cell foam" which sounds similar to mass loaded vinyl. I have some cork underlay kicking around I could try as well.

https://www.homedepot.ca/product/roberts-black-jac...od-floors/

It's not loud when I'm driving, but the constant engine noise really gets to me after a couple hours of highway speeds.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
Page 6 of 6

Jump to: