Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Insulation / sound deadening thread FAQ
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
KentABQ Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2017 8:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Insulation / sound deadening thread FAQ Reply with quote

WissBrauSean wrote:
Has anyone successfully insulated their camper pop top with anything that looks nice?

This probably won't work for a pop top due to weight... but WanderGlobe's hightop was covered with indoor/outdoor carpeting. It did a great job at reducing noise and heat transfer.

"I must say, how can you be in a bad mood driving this vehicle full of vibrant color.
Cars of today are so bland in comparison. It's like driving a celebration!"
---WildIdea

Bus ownership via emoticons:
Very Happy Shocked Mad Sad Embarassed d'oh! Pray Brick wall Pray Dancing Dancing Dancing ---williamM
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
notchboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2017 9:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Insulation / sound deadening thread FAQ Reply with quote

KentPS wrote:
WissBrauSean wrote:
Has anyone successfully insulated their camper pop top with anything that looks nice?

This probably won't work for a pop top due to weight... but WanderGlobe's hightop was covered with indoor/outdoor carpeting. It did a great job at reducing noise and heat transfer.

There comes a point where you accept what you have as opposed to what you hear is good. Insulating your VW bus is for sure one of those things. Wink

It was good 40 years ago, why do you think your better?

OK, this thread is over. You win.

Jason "notchboy" Weigel
1964 1500 S
1964 T34 S Convertible
1977 Westfalia Camper pop-top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
71whitewesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 08, 2017 7:46 am    Post subject: Re: Insulation / sound deadening thread FAQ Reply with quote

I'm not so sure about all this insulating... I'd hate to buy a bus that has been "insulated" every square inch. What a mess. If you want a quiet car there are tons to choose from. If you want to take the gas tank out and insulate there, fine but all this sticky stuff on the inside is hideous.
Better off throwing some carpet down and replacing door seals in my opinion. Now if your bus is a real piece of junk then who cares but not in a nice original bus, please.
I drive mine a lot and camp with kids year round in the snow or dessert and find no need for additional insulation or sound deadening material. Just pack more gear in the bus, it'll dampen the sound just fine.
That sticky stuff is not coming out easily if at all so I'd recommend something less permanent, like carpet, sleeping bags, camping gear, clothes etc. the next owner will thank you. Very Happy
1969 Tucker Sno cat 542
2017 VW Alltrac
71 tin top stock 1600 DP (project but runs)
Twin 71 White Westy, Bus 2, that I pulled from a 15 year slumber in a dry eastern WA field in 2015.
1966 Sundial Camper "Boomer"
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
KentABQ Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 08, 2017 8:15 am    Post subject: Re: Insulation / sound deadening thread FAQ Reply with quote

71whitewesty wrote:
I'm not so sure about all this insulating... I'd hate to buy a bus that has been "insulated" every square inch. What a mess. If you want a quiet car there are tons to choose from. If you want to take the gas tank out and insulate there, fine but all this sticky stuff on the inside is hideous.

Thank you for that advice, 71ww. When I started reading all the threads on sound deadening using self-stick products, it didn't sound like the right way to go. The possibility of moisture being trapped, the hassle of removing it if needed, etc made me go a different direction.

I found thick sound deadening Q-Pads on Amazon. They do stick to the metal, but it doesn't require complete coverage. I cut the pads down to a size that covers maybe 20% of the larger flat panels that are the ones that resonate and transfer noise while driving. So far, I've used them on the inside of the fuel tank bay (along with a layer of that foil looking insulation found at HD), and inside the rear hatch and front door panels.

I'm planning on only doing the walls and doors with that product. For the floor, I like the idea of using the relatively thick non-sound transfer padding used for some laminate floors. And I'm leaning toward a laminate produce, and can stick a small area rug on it if wanted. Does that make sense, or does anyone have a better solution? I'm always open to ideas.

The noise reduction from the engine bay is considerable, although I can still hear it which is what I want. And the doors close more with a solid "thud" rather than a "clang". I've just ordered more Q-Pads to do the sliding door and maybe inside the nose.

But I'm absolutely certain I won't eliminate the road noise until I get the new front seat floor replaced. It's got major rust, and holes big enough to get your foot thru. My focus for next winter is to learn to weld and git 'er done.

"I must say, how can you be in a bad mood driving this vehicle full of vibrant color.
Cars of today are so bland in comparison. It's like driving a celebration!"
---WildIdea

Bus ownership via emoticons:
Very Happy Shocked Mad Sad Embarassed d'oh! Pray Brick wall Pray Dancing Dancing Dancing ---williamM
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Sat Apr 08, 2017 9:55 am    Post subject: Re: Insulation / sound deadening thread FAQ Reply with quote

71whitewesty wrote:
I'm not so sure about all this insulating... I'd hate to buy a bus that has been "insulated" every square inch. What a mess....

X2

I do the underside of the engine bay and tank area, back side of the firewall as well. use quality stuff and its 10000% better....as in @70 and the radio on 5, you can talk, yes, TALK to the guy in the back seat.

the people who set these up like they are going to the dB drags are nuts, and when it's on the floors etc, I wouldn't buy the bus...same reason I wont buy a truck with a spay in bed liner

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:
most VW enthusiasts are stuck in 80's price land.

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
Xevin Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 08, 2017 12:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Insulation / sound deadening thread FAQ Reply with quote

I never felt the need to make the 72 or 76 campers any more quite on the inside. Are campers inherently quite because of all the gear and mattres pad in back? The 72 is especially quite. Maybe the Weber carb? Will the dual Solex I put on make it noisy? I always thought it seemed like a bad idea to layer that tape like stuff on there as well.

Clatter wrote:
Damn that Xevin... Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

skills@eurocarsplus wrote:
I respect Xevin and he's a turd Razz

SGKent wrote:
My God! Xevin and I 100% agree Shocked
WissBrauSean
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2017 3:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Insulation / sound deadening thread FAQ Reply with quote

After reading all the options and looking at my empty wallet and needing to absolutely do my floors with something as the rugs and the particle board were trashed when I removed the furniture and gutted all the interior panels, was the fiberglass all that bad?

I saw no water retention from it.

I have to do this as cheaply as I can, I don't want to, but I'm straight out of LO-CASH.

I'm thinking some fat mat patches for the doors, walls, front, and over the engine. Do the doors need thermal? I'd like them to have some. EZ cool?

She had a fire and the engine lid was trashed and gutted, stuff with fiberglass and put a little EZ cool overtop? or some other fire proofing?

Floor, I like the look of this:
https://www.lowes.com/pd/NuTek-48-in-x-120-in-Black-Loose-Lay-Rubber-Sheet/50199883
If i can get a discount

Fiberglass for the cab roof and side walls?

All that is kind of what I want to do, but don't like the price tag or even know if it is necessary.

Skip the fat mat and EZ cool. What do I do about the flooring?

Ah, Eff this!
WissBrauSean
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2017 3:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Insulation / sound deadening thread FAQ Reply with quote

Anyone have some leftover EZ Cool or Fat Mat that they would like to donate? Hahaha, it's worth a try!
Gonzo1970
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2017 3:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Insulation / sound deadening thread FAQ Reply with quote

I have been debating this as well.. Mostly from a cost-aspect.

I wont be living in it. I doubt I will ever be in it while its freezing cold.

As someone noted, the noise isn't bad in a Westfalia due to the components inside.

I am doing a laminate floor (oak - matches the original cabinetry very well) with a sub-floor and a plastic barrier. I left all the original insulation in the walls behind the panels.. If the engine sound is that bad (and I doubt it will be for me) I can always pull up the bed and slap some sound deadener under the mattress and maybe on the area under the bench.. that would be about it for me.

I do plan on putting some of that anti-fatigue rubber mat material (cut down, obviously) under the front floor carpet, just to make it softer and maybe cut down on some road noise. You can get enough of that stuff for the front floor for $10-$20.

-Gonz
What a long, strange trip it's been
WissBrauSean
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2017 3:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Insulation / sound deadening thread FAQ Reply with quote

Agreed.

My insulation was full of mouse droppings so I pulled everything. I did just order a little bit of fatmat and I got a bunch of free reflectix from a friend. That with the wool cab floor and rugs should cover it. Not sure what to do with the living area floor yet.
WissBrauSean
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 6:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Insulation / sound deadening thread FAQ Reply with quote

DAMN, I bought FatMat and don't want it. WTF Anyone want it? 1/2 price PM me.
curtp07
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2017 7:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Insulation / sound deadening thread FAQ Reply with quote

Don't do it!

Did my beetle and i regret the mess I'm going to have to clean up someday. Select sections on select panels and end it.
Hoody
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2017 10:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Insulation / sound deadening thread FAQ Reply with quote

I think some people on here are confused as to what the difference is between sound deadening and insulation. The butyl aluminum backed materials sold are strictly for sound deadening. If you cover every square inch in these various products you are just wasting your money and time....and creating big problems down the road for rust. Especially when it comes to the floor. In my 78 Westy there are specific places in the floor for moisture to "pool". On the wall where the stove unit is there are specific drainage "lines" across the wall for moisture to drain into the floor. With sound deadening only 25% of a panel needs to be covered. I insulated my Bus with Low-E. No moisture retention, much better "R" value than fiberglass, mice won't go near it. None of the insulation is glued in. Everything is completely reversible. It's all on how you approach it and the level of quality materials that you use. If I was looking at a Bus to buy and the entire interior was covered in some Chinese roofing bullshit tar based garbage from Lowes or Home Depot I would run, if it was covered head to toe in Dynomat extreme ....I would still run. If you can't afford to use the good stuff. Skip it. Wait until you can. It's actually not that expensive to do it correctly.
aeromech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2017 10:30 am    Post subject: Re: Insulation / sound deadening thread FAQ Reply with quote

Guys,
I'm doing some work on a 1971 camper. I want to put some kind of sound deadening material on the insides of the front door, the engine bay ceiling under the abs roof I'll be buyings, and around the gas tank area when it's removed. What do you recommend? I want something good with an adhesive backing I can cut to fit and stick on.
Thanks
Boeing 727,737-200-300-400,757,767
Airbus A319,320,321
DC9/MD80
BAe146
Fokker F28/F100
VW type 1 1962,63,65,69,72
VW Type 2 1971 (3 ea.) 1978, 1969
VW Jetta
VW Passat
Capable of leaping tall buildings in a single bound
Stuartzickefoose
Samba Post Whore

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2017 11:42 am    Post subject: Re: Insulation / sound deadening thread FAQ Reply with quote

aeromech wrote:
Guys,
I'm doing some work on a 1971 camper. I want to put some kind of sound deadening material on the insides of the front door, the engine bay ceiling under the abs roof I'll be buyings, and around the gas tank area when it's removed. What do you recommend? I want something good with an adhesive backing I can cut to fit and stick on.
Thanks

You complain I never call you...then you don’t call me! Haha

Fatmat or dynamite are good standbys. Rattletrap is another. Skills uses a 4th that’s really good too, but I gift which one. I would also suggest the back of the gas tank firewall too.

2011 Jetta Sportwagen TDi 6 speed manual

206-841-7324
[email protected]
aeromech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2017 12:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Insulation / sound deadening thread FAQ Reply with quote

So your answer is ask Skill?
Airbus A319,320,321
DC9/MD80
BAe146
Fokker F28/F100
VW Jetta
VW Passat
white74westy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2017 12:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Insulation / sound deadening thread FAQ Reply with quote

aeromech wrote:
Guys,
Thanks

Hi Gary,

I used butyl tape. I haven't done the entire vehicle yet. I did the inside of the area, where the gas tank sits. It makes a difference. Do your homework, but essentially, that is what Fatmat, Dynamat etc. are made of. The problem is that people decided to go crazy and use asphalt impregnated products, such as window wrap etc. They were covering the entire vehicle. YUCK!

When you apply it, you only need a small amount to each panel. I hope this proves useful! Let us know what you come up with.

a
aeromech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2017 12:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Insulation / sound deadening thread FAQ Reply with quote

Bill Fowler recommends Rattletrap

https://www.amazon.com/FatMat-Self-Adhesive-Rattle...&psc=1
Airbus A319,320,321
DC9/MD80
BAe146
Fokker F28/F100
VW Jetta
VW Passat
Hoody
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 10:59 am    Post subject: Re: Insulation / sound deadening thread FAQ Reply with quote

If you want to use the best product go to Second Skin Audio's site and get the Damplifier Pro.
vwwestyman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2018 11:35 am    Post subject: Re: Insulation / sound deadening thread FAQ Reply with quote

While I generally like driving my '78 with TDI motor, it is kind of noisy.

So I've been thinking of ways to quiet it down!

Here's my tenative game plan; I'd like to get your thoughts.

I'm planning to pull the engine and fuel tank. I don't remember if I applied "dynamat" type stuff in there before. (I have a large roll of another brand name in the garage... Just don't remember the brand offhand.) If not, I'll do this.

Then for inexpensive sound absorbtion, I plan to fill the cavities around the fuel tank with mineral wool insulation. Everything I've seen is that mineral wool is very good at sound absorption, and I should not have to worry about it getting wet in this location.

Then in the area above the transmission (and very possibly in the engine compartment too) I will install the mat discussed in this thread:
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=606406&highlight=above+transmission
Prior to installing that, I plan to clean up the under side of the firewalls above the transmission and seal them with Master Series paint, just in case moisture finds its way above the mat.

Somewhere along the way, I ran into mention of hydrophobic melamine foam as a great sound absorber that won't soak up water. If I'm not happy with the other measures (or just decide I want more insulation) I think I will begin installing this behind the panels inside the bus. May look into some kind of drainage mat made of woven plastic against the metal to provide a way for water condensation/water leakage that may occur to run away from the metal.

Something like this:
https://plasticomponents.com/pc-news/new-ultra-drain-mat-drainage-ventilation-system

President, Wild Westerner Club

1978 Champagne Edition Westy, repowered to '97 Jetta TDI
1973 Wild Westerner
My Thing
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 5 of 6

Jump to: