Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

secrets to installing torque converter / Flex plate bolts?
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
RocketBox
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2014 7:19 am    Post subject: secrets to installing torque converter / Flex plate bolts? Reply with quote

Anybody have any secrets to installing these bolts? I have this irrational fear of the bolts dropping while i'm attempting to install them and ending up in the nether regions between the engine and the bell housing... after dropping the engine and then lifting it again, i'd hate for these damn bolts to drop and have to go through the same process again.

TIA!
John

80 Vanagon Camper ASI Riveria - subaru 2.2 conversion project. 1993 Subary legacy donor car + Riveria = AWESOME!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
atomatom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2014 7:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

the magnet on a bendy stick is one of my favourite tools ever.
MarkWard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2014 7:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Electrical tape around the socket, extension and partially overlapping the bolt usually works. Grease in the socket is also a way to hold on to the bolt.
RocketBox
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2014 7:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

where do i get thie magic device?

80 Vanagon Camper ASI Riveria - subaru 2.2 conversion project. 1993 Subary legacy donor car + Riveria = AWESOME!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
BavarianWrench
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2014 7:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you were close by I would give you some. Your fear is not irrational! Why complicate maters when we can avoid it. I just put an engine in my automatic, used some old DUMDUM, 3m windshield caulk strips. Hit your corner Garage uo for some. It's about $16 a box. You will not use a box in your lifetime. Works great
vanagonjon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2014 4:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've done this a few times, use a deep socket with a short extension, some electrical tape to hold the correct bolt in the socket. I seat the bolts just with the extension and the socket before using the ratchet to get good control on the starting of the bolt. Use an inspection mirror and make sure the hole in the flex plate is exactly in the center of the access hole. Put loctite on the bolt and it goes in real easy, when snug by hand use the torque wrench to set proper torque. The mirror is the best way to see the next hole as it comes into position. You are using the grade 12 correct bolt I assume.

John
RocketBox
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2014 4:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

John - thats funny... I just finished the install and buttoned the whole engine up. I used the mechanics mirror ( I forgot till today that I had one) and blue masking tape instead of electrical... but almost the same thing!

Thanks all! Time for my first test drive this evening!

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: