Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Resurrection of my 1967 Beetle
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Canadian VW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2014 3:24 pm    Post subject: Resurrection of my 1967 Beetle Reply with quote

I was actively looking for a '67 or earlier Beetle for a while and could never find one in somewhat rust free condition that wasn't over priced. Saw this one pop up online and jumped on it. She was imported from Guatemala 3 years ago so it hasn't been subjected to the typical Canadian salt/snow. I made the 6 hour drive and towed her home.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

The only picture posted online in the sale ad for the car. That poor bumper....

Towing was an adventure all in it's own. I installed a tow hitch on the CRV, rented a trailer and learned very quickly that when going 100+ KMS per hour the car didn't want to stop.

After what seemed like an eternity we made it home safely and I got a better look at what I had just bought. There was liberal use of lime green throughout not to mention the "100% new and rebuilt" engine wouldn't start for the previous owner. Also the front seats were special to say the least. After a new carb was installed she fired right up. A few adjustments and she was running and idling.

The front seats are from some other VW (stamped VW/Audi) but they seemed really wide and terribly loose. After a quick check I could see they were just the original floor section cut from the donor car and screwed/welded to my floor. This also meant my original seat tracks were cut off... Sad

So proper seats were sourced and new TMI red covers have been obtained. I'm going to try to keep the interior as original as I can within reason (some of you 67 Beetle owners are hard core Wink ) Seats are very solid and really in decent shape for their age.

Shopping for new parts has kept the local delivery guy busy. CIP1.ca/Mid America Motorworks have been a great help so far. Blade bumpers and brackets to replace the hacked up ones that came with the car. New front clip. New exhaust to replace the home made Guatemalan special. Original headlight parts from many different sources with new gaskets. German window scrapers and rubber.

Started getting things back to normal under the hood. That little $#!& really didn't want to come off!

CIP1.ca has had free shipping for this month. I took advantage and ordered the larger/heavier items on my list. New floor pans and some 17 X 7 gunmetal rims. I am actually really happy with the look of the rims and cant wait to get them installed.

Now I'm just trying to psych myself up to pull the body off the pan and replace the floors. I will also be shortening and tilting the pan head in preparation for a new AirKewld beam. I will keep this thread up to date with progress, enjoy!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
grandpa pete
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2014 4:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

welcome and enjoy your new toy ;
I am curious about the ignition key location and the unusual directional switch.....
Good luck straightening out THAT wiring Smile

NOTE ; Those colored distributor caps have a reputation for cracking and misfiring.....get a bosch Wink

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=569619&highlight=sedan+delivery

Last edited by grandpa pete on Wed Sep 24, 2014 8:22 pm; edited 1 time in total
Bret2094
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2014 4:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sweet ride, but the lime is gotta go. This reminds me of how distracted i have gotten from my 67. Have fun with it!
1962 Karmann Ghia
1967 beetle( august 66, first car)
1967 beetle (parts car)

1977 Westfalia Camper

1972 Plymouth Duster

Just another 22 year old jackass who caught the bug, and lives by the motto " NO fatchicks allowed" , I've got too many cars as is (buses N/A)
VolkswagenVMan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2014 6:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looking at the engine photos, you do not have any upper tins. You need those for proper cooling of the engine!!!!!!
1966 Bug early
1966 Bug late
2000 New Beetle 2.0l 200,000 miles and going!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ottvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2014 11:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You need tins before anything!
Dirty Hippie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2014 5:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grandpa Pete, I think the ignition location you're seeing is actually a locking hood release.
WD-40
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2014 8:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

VolkswagenVMan wrote:
Looking at the engine photos, you do not have any upper tins. You need those for proper cooling of the engine!!!!!!

ottvw wrote:
You need tins before anything!

x3! You absolutely need that engine tin to direct the cooling air! Shocked
babysnakes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 27, 2014 10:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Please don't start your engine anymore until you get the tins.
Canadian VW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2014 6:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the replies guys. I got the engine running and have not turned it over since. The lacking engine tin, charging issue and loud as hell exhaust are keeping her safely tucked away in the garage. I really do appreciate the concern, that is why I love the air cooled VW scene.

Grandpa Pete-That is indeed a locking hood release on the left of the column. I actually did pick up a Bosch cap but it does not fit. PN 1-235-522-027-OU1. I'll have to investigate that one further. Directional switch is odd and has a "4 way/hazard" light switch on it. I can take more pictures if you are interested.
grandpa pete
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2014 8:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dirty Hippie wrote:
Grandpa Pete, I think the ignition location you're seeing is actually a locking hood release.

Thanks ; I have been around here for a while and that is the first one I have noticed.....

there are several different distributors ; getting the right cap can be a challenge if you cant match yours at a parts counter

I remember years ago asking for one . When the parts guy asked " What kind " I said " Round and brown " Very Happy Very Happy

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=569619&highlight=sedan+delivery
Canadian VW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 04, 2014 2:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Today was a productive day, starting the rebuild of my seats. I got the pads and covers off, found a few small weld repairs that were needed.

I appreciate how simple everything is on these and the tear down went well. Some of the roll pins put up a fight but in the end they are ready for blast and paint.

I do however need a replacement for this lever. One was snapped in half when I got the seats. Also are there new seat tracks for the bottom of the seats (not the pan) available?

I will try to reuse the OE pads and just add a little foam underneath to help them hold their shape after almost 50 years.
Canadian VW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2014 8:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

After taking a closer look at the seat tracks I decided to get some southern rust free parts from the classified section.

Also picked up a release lever to replace my broken one. I'm almost ready to paint these frames and start rebuilding.

Pulled the fenders, gas tank and engine today. A few small surprises, bumper brackets welded to the body and the fenders had a few tacks holding them on as well. Looks like the original color is red, I'll look more into that later. Front clip is in terrible shape..

The previous owner had rebuilt the engine, poorly. I got it pulled out and it was only held in by 2 of the 4 nuts. Half of the exhaust studs were bolts of various sizes and no gaskets were used. Also there was damage to the inside of the transmission case from the engine being a little loose.

Next up is pulling the body from the pan....
Canadian VW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2014 1:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This weekend I got the pan free from the body and have one of the floor pan halves out. First time doing anything like this and I have learned a few things along the way. A good spot weld cutter is an amazing tool to have, I picked up a Blair cutter. Still on the first bit and going strong.

The front beam came off really easy.

Check out the damaged and obviously neglected boot.

I knew the car had some terrible floors welded under the originals but I didn't realize there were 4 layers of floor in some spots...

Next I'll be tackling the other side and patching a few small rust holes.
61SNRF
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2014 4:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pretty cool it has "Beam Stiffeners" Very Happy ...

You don't hear much talk or see them here often, but a worthy accessory IMHO. Mainly for off-road, but can help in the Slalom/handling department too. Originally think they came on Things, VW sold them over the parts counter too, and several aftermarket vendors like Auto Haus sold their own versions in the '70's-'80's.

I'd say why not clean then up and re-use them on your build? Smile

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure.
Rome
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2014 6:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That poor engine! I've never seen such a hack misbuild. Wait- the "G" of GEX- could it stand for Guatemala? Mad I would not be surprised at all if the small rectangular cooling tins under and between the cylinders were left out. It would probably be very prudent for you to tear it down and check that everything is usable, then shop for good used German tin and/or other parts. Not that it's missing a main bearing, or half of the engine case fasteners, or something else stupid..

At least you have a Puma low-profile fan shroud, which is somewhat rare north of the border.

With those floors so rotten and patched, how are the heater channels on the body? I hope they are solid, since you already have plenty of past sins to undo on the body.

Wishing you perseverence with the car's rebuild and revival.
bill may
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2014 9:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nice project. I like the choice of wheels.

1965 panel bus-Kermit
"Camping is cheaper than therapy"
www.sv2s.com
www.steeringboxscrapers.net
SBS #100
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=453617
57BLITZ
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2014 9:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rome wrote:
I would not be surprised at all if the small rectangular cooling tins under and between the cylinders were left out.

I was thinking the very same!!

Look at the bottom of the cylinders between the two center pushrod tubes . . . you SHOULD (but might not) see a square piece of tin right against the cooling fins . . . if not, pull the tubes to install those deflector tins. They look like this . . . http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1385021
Canadian VW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2014 7:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

To be honest the beam stiffeners caught me off guard during the tear down, I never noticed them before on other cars. They are very solid just rusty on the surface, I will reuse them if they fit my new narrowed beam.

The fan shroud and a few other parts are not so common on this car. Is there any advantage to that style shroud?

I am really looking forward to seeing the wheels on the car for the first time. I just need to pick the right size tires to keep it from rubbing in the corners.

No tins at all on this engine. I have a full set of replacement tins just waiting to go in as soon as I have that engine fully inspected by someone who knows what they are doing. It's probably a blessing in disguise that the engine never ran after the "rebuild".

Heater channels are shot and half of them stuck to the floor pan when I lifted the body. Those will be the next items ordered (along with a few other patch panels.)
shortride
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2014 9:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I often wonder about some people's color choices. Shocked

Retired US Army - 21 years 11B40, 173rd Airborne Brig. - Vietnam Combat Veteran
bluebus86
Banned

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2014 10:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

that engine is a mess, do not even run it, it does not have the correct cooling tin. running for other than a very very short test will result in it over heating and self destruction until the correct cooling is put on it, and ditch that chrome air filter, that type is JUNK, the stock one will work much better and keep your engine bay cleaner as it has the correct crank case venting ability the chrome one lacks. the stock one is designed nicely the chrome one is crapola.

get the gas filter out of the engine bay, and make sure the gas hoes are safety wired to carb, but first you need to install the correct cooling system.

lots of work needed to make this a beater, even more for a nice car, good luck, it all can be fixed.

Stop introducing dirt into your oil when adjusting valves ... https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=683022
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 1 of 6

Jump to: