Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Resurrection of my 1967 Beetle
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Canadian VW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2015 6:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

redbulltj wrote:
Those wheels are beautiful! What kind are they?

Rims are 17" X 7" SS SUPER SPEED WHEEL in Gun metal grey.

I thought long and hard about using the original shell from this car and decided to get something "cleaner" with less surprises. Picked up a shell from Texas with the original white paint still on it. It has had the unfortunate fate of being next to a vehicle that was on fire and has some paint damage to show for it. Some minor body filler on the rear apron and all the original sun faded paint and body panels. I have prepped the heater channels for replacement and have mounted most of the air ride under the hood. More pictures to follow as I dig into this one.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Body is on stands and braced with some fresh angle iron. Rear luggage tray need replacing and some front and rear apron work. I kind of like the look of the overall damaged paint and might keep it for a year just to speed up the build and hopefully get this car on the road for next year.

Finally back in business and getting my hands dirty!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Canadian VW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2015 6:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

First attempt at a heater channel was a success. I have about 5 hours tied up in this one so far and am almost ready to weld it up solid and start on some of the rusty quarter panel bits.

It took some finesse but the door lines up nicely.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
BIGMIKEY
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2015 4:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Canadian VW wrote:

I also shortened up the pan head 1 1/4" and did a 5/16" pie cut. This is one of those measure 10 times and weld once situations. I am working on some reinforcement plates for the top to help keep everything strong. I picked up a laser level that was so helpfull with the pie cut and keeping everything square.

What is the purpose of shortening of the pan head?

Mike T

Deserter Series 1 project.
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=787047&highlight=

1973 Beetle Driver, Marina Blue.
Canadian VW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2015 5:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

On beetles that are really low the front wheels dont sit centered in the fenders anymore. Shortening the pan head corrects this and also moves the wheels away from the headlight buckets. Kind of a win win situation if you have the time to do the work.
Canadian VW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2015 5:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got the second heater channel replaced and the air ride all wired up under the hood.

Door lines up nicely.

And a big moment in this build, the body on the pan. Its not sitting perfect and that's why the new heater channels are only tack welded in. I will work on making the adjustments so it all sits level.

TheDon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2015 6:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's nice.
Canadian VW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 26, 2015 1:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Resurrection of my 1967 Beetle Reply with quote

There are always moments in a build that make me nervous. Seeing if all that work was correct and justified. Today was a day I was dreading if the car rubbed body to rim, rubbed rim to fender, didn't roll aired out or the rims interfered in any way with the brakes/front beam. I am happy to report today was a good day. Zero issues with full suspension travel and nothing is binding.

I am really happy with the placement of the front tires in the fenders, nice and centered. Shortening the pan head and pie cut worked beautifully.

Fully aired up at about 125 PSI.

Aired out.

Last is the rear apron if the front is up and the back down.

The fenders all have some bumps and dents and it's really noticeable with the rims on, I might massage them out or possibly leave them as is for a few years. One last picture in case anyone was wondering how the rear camber is on low profile tires.....

Airride66
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2016 12:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Resurrection of my 1967 Beetle Reply with quote

Nice Build. I feel your pain with the $$$ put into your project. I am in the same range as you for cost, if not more and don't have a motor and interior yet. I wish I would have known about the different air management system, I may have gone that route instead, but I guess its easy enough to upgrade

Steve
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=7784187&highlight=#7784187
Canadian VW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 29, 2016 2:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Resurrection of my 1967 Beetle Reply with quote

Getting the Auto Pilot V2 system in was easy, they make it a truly simple set up. Much easier than wiring to every individual up and down valve per corner on the car. It also has a nice digital controller that shows pressure at all 4 corners and in the tank.
Canadian VW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2016 4:51 am    Post subject: Re: Resurrection of my 1967 Beetle Reply with quote

This winter was all about planning, collecting parts and getting all my paperwork in order (insurance, appraisal and ownership). Spring always makes splitting the body and the pan easier with a one car garage.

Only one picture of the large collected parts, a 67 "convertible" (not oem but interesting license plate mounts and louvers) decklid. I also have some pop out rear quarter windows and a pile of oem/aftermarket metal to finish off the body.

Updates will be slow as one of my other cars has taken priority.
porkchop-rob
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2016 4:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Resurrection of my 1967 Beetle Reply with quote

very cool build! I'm subscribed!
Canadian VW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2017 7:32 am    Post subject: Re: Resurrection of my 1967 Beetle Reply with quote

After a very long hiatus from working on the Bug, I am back.

Not much has changed, collected some more parts and built an engine stand. Taking a crack at this old motor that came with the white car. On initial tear down things are looking good.

Feels great to be back working on the VW!

Canadian VW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2017 9:13 am    Post subject: Re: Resurrection of my 1967 Beetle Reply with quote

Built a stand for the gas tank, planning on starting this up on the stand. Purchased an adapter and wiring from Zalex Industries for the starter and ignition. Exhaust gaskets arrived so I have it mostly buttoned up, J-Tubes and clamps up next. New plugs/wires/oil/belt/carb, still not sure about that coil.

Jay-Rod
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2017 9:40 am    Post subject: Re: Resurrection of my 1967 Beetle Reply with quote

Nice build. Im excited to see where this one goes.
Canadian VW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 6:24 am    Post subject: Re: Resurrection of my 1967 Beetle Reply with quote

My order from Zalex came in. The starter mounted up flawlessly and control box was easy set up.

Canadian VW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2017 5:30 am    Post subject: Re: Resurrection of my 1967 Beetle Reply with quote

Put some work in on the bumpers. The rear is welded, smoothed and fits well. I will be cutting some brackets for reverse lights this week and welding them on. I am also playing with the idea of cutting and shortening the brackets to bring the bumper in closer to the body.

The front apron is rough and throwing the brackets way out of alignment. What a sad sight....
Canadian VW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2017 9:39 am    Post subject: Re: Resurrection of my 1967 Beetle Reply with quote

Started filing in the holes on the bumpers and welding the mounts to it. I will try and replicate the rust on the front bumper on the rear once the welding is done.

arizonabuckeye
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2017 1:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Resurrection of my 1967 Beetle Reply with quote

Where you have those compressors mounted it seems like it would created all kinds of noise into the cabin - is it bad?
Canadian VW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2017 7:09 am    Post subject: Re: Resurrection of my 1967 Beetle Reply with quote

I have yet to drive the car so I can't be sure just yet how loud it will be.

I have had a few cars with air ride in the past and the compressors always create some noise and vibration. I have installed rubber mounts under them to absorb some of that vibration.
Canadian VW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2017 5:04 am    Post subject: Re: Resurrection of my 1967 Beetle Reply with quote

Repair panels came in for my engine compartment and rear luggage tray. A bunch of new seals came in to keep this project moving along.

Also working on those heat riser covers. Both sides were missing so I will be welding half to the tin and blasting/painting the other side.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 3 of 6

Jump to: