Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Resurrection of my 1967 Beetle
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Canadian VW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2017 5:13 am    Post subject: Re: Resurrection of my 1967 Beetle Reply with quote

I drilled the spot welds out on the rusty metal and have the first of three panels tacked in. The new seals are in as well, they fit quite nicely.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Samba 67 Beetle build thread: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=607949&highlight=
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Canadian VW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2017 12:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Resurrection of my 1967 Beetle Reply with quote

Getting the lighting together. Reverse lights, front signals and tail lights were a breeze. The headlights and those damn little clips were problematic. The first one is together and the second is waiting on new clips.

I also took the plunge and got a lift for my little garage. Its movable when not in use and is built for low overhead clearances. I will be mounting it this weekend. Will make lifting the body on and off so easy.

Samba 67 Beetle build thread: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=607949&highlight=
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Canadian VW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2017 8:38 am    Post subject: Re: Resurrection of my 1967 Beetle Reply with quote

Hoist installed and being put to work.

Canadian VW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2017 9:26 am    Post subject: Re: Resurrection of my 1967 Beetle Reply with quote

My order from Speed Bleeders came in and I picked up some Motul brake fluid. Time to bleed these brakes!

For the first time since I have owned it I have a fender bolted on and head/signal lights. All gaskets and clips were replaced

Slowly looking like a car.

63Ragtop NZ
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2017 7:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Resurrection of my 1967 Beetle Reply with quote

nice!
hoist makes thing easier I bet.

what a speed bleeder??
Canadian VW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2017 9:54 am    Post subject: Re: Resurrection of my 1967 Beetle Reply with quote

Hoist makes everything easier. Lifting the body off the pan took 2 minutes and 1 person.

Speed Bleeders are one way valves for bleeding your brake lines with 1 person. This is my third vehicle with them and wont be the last. www.speedbleeder.com/

wcfvw69 Premium Member
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2017 10:18 am    Post subject: Re: Resurrection of my 1967 Beetle Reply with quote

I like those bleeder valves! I'm going to have to get some!

https://www.amazon.com/Motive-Products-0100-European-Bleeder/dp/B0002KM5L0

These work nicely for the one man show in the garage as well. No walking back and forth to pump the brakes.

Decades of VW and VW parts restoration experience.
The Samba member since 2004.

**Now rebuilding throttle bodies for VW's and Porsche's**
**Restored German Bosch distributors for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored German Pierburg fuel pumps for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche fuel pumps or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche distributors or I can restore yours**
Canadian VW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2017 6:23 am    Post subject: Re: Resurrection of my 1967 Beetle Reply with quote

New clutch, pressure plate and throw out bearing with HD clips installed last night. Bowden tube was adjusted for some extra slack and greased up.

Overall the pan is 98% complete and ready to drop the body back on. Still some welding on the body left to do.

A small order from Wolfburg West came in with a bunch of missing odds and ends. The tail light gaskets look odd to me but they seem to work once glued onto the chrome trim.

Canadian VW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2017 6:20 am    Post subject: Re: Resurrection of my 1967 Beetle Reply with quote

Productive long weekend on the VW. Body is back on the pan and bolted down, surprisingly everything lined up after all the metal work and welding.

With shortening of the pan head the original steering coupler could not be used. Got a sweet little universal in there and welded in a splined shaft to get it working. Steering feels great.

All the glass is in. These seals are a PITA, got a glass guy to put them in.

Front seats and new belts are in. Door panels and the rear seat is up next.

Last edited by Canadian VW on Fri Mar 02, 2018 7:20 am; edited 1 time in total
Canadian VW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2017 7:35 am    Post subject: Re: Resurrection of my 1967 Beetle Reply with quote

It has been a very busy few weeks. The car is finally on the road plated and insured. Test drive last night went pretty well, a few little things to work out still. Interior work starts tonight!

Canadian VW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2017 6:38 am    Post subject: Re: Resurrection of my 1967 Beetle Reply with quote

Got a 4 wheel alignment done and holy $#!* was it way out. Explains why the car was all over the place on the drive over to the shop.

The interior is in, with a healthy amount of Dynamat underneath. The only area left is the rear luggage compartment and a matching kit is on its way. TMI seat covers, door panels and carpet kits. OG seats and seat pads cleaned up and rebuilt.

I had set a deadline to have the car on the road for a show yesterday. We made it and I couldn't be happier. Took home Second in class (38 to 67 Beetle) and "Old and Dilapidated".

Canadian VW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2017 4:32 am    Post subject: Re: Resurrection of my 1967 Beetle Reply with quote

Started removing the primer that was randomly sprayed on the car. The fenders came out pretty good, mostly white paint underneath. The passenger side door was all bare metal....

Passenger side before

Passenger side after

Driver side before

Driver side after

Tennessee Steinmetz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2017 6:36 am    Post subject: Re: Resurrection of my 1967 Beetle Reply with quote

Look great. What did you use to remove the old primer?
Canadian VW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2017 7:32 am    Post subject: Re: Resurrection of my 1967 Beetle Reply with quote

I was using Tremclad professional graffiti remover and very fine (#0000) steel wool. I was washing it right after to prevent any OG/white paint being removed. It takes quite a bit of time and scrubbing but well worth it in the end.

Canadian VW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2017 6:44 am    Post subject: Re: Resurrection of my 1967 Beetle Reply with quote

Quick picture of the engine compartment, overall it turned out pretty clean. When I started on this project I had no idea how many small parts were missing in regards to the tin, rubber grommets and small clips.

Canadian VW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2017 6:31 am    Post subject: Re: Resurrection of my 1967 Beetle Reply with quote

I found a few pictures of my car at the recent Berlin Klassik show in Guelph Ontario.

63Ragtop NZ
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2017 3:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Resurrection of my 1967 Beetle Reply with quote

fantastic work bro, like a phoenix from the flame.
joey1320
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2017 5:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Resurrection of my 1967 Beetle Reply with quote

Man the bug looks great.
Canadian VW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2017 12:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Resurrection of my 1967 Beetle Reply with quote

joey1320 wrote:
Man the bug looks great.

63Ragtop NZ wrote:
fantastic work bro, like a phoenix from the flame.

Thank you! There were parts of the build where I had my doubts but it was totally worth it in the end.

63Ragtop NZ
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2017 5:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Resurrection of my 1967 Beetle Reply with quote

Honestly, so did I, why doesn't he just paint it? etc...

But you had the vision to see it through and it turned out awesome.

respect!

Cool
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 4 of 6

Jump to: