Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Resurrection of my 1967 Beetle
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Canadian VW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2017 5:53 am    Post subject: Re: Resurrection of my 1967 Beetle Reply with quote

The starter that came with the car looked to be in good shape so it was one of the few items I did not replace. Well it died on Sunday. New starter installed and thanks to some digging on the forum, that litttle starter bushing was easy to remove. Whoever thought to use a 7/16" - 14 tap is a genius!

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Also bottomed out the front pretty hard, time for a skid plate. I'll probably just make one of these myself at work, shipping one from the USA/UK seems silly.

A shot of the car right before the starter died. Thank god she is light and I could push start her myself. Passenger side without old primer, driver side up next.

Samba 67 Beetle build thread: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=607949&highlight=
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Canadian VW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2017 8:52 am    Post subject: Re: Resurrection of my 1967 Beetle Reply with quote

Driving this thing as late into the season as I can.

Samba 67 Beetle build thread: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=607949&highlight=
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Pruneman99
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2017 11:52 am    Post subject: Re: Resurrection of my 1967 Beetle Reply with quote

Canadian VW wrote:

That's a badass photo! Easily poster quality. Great build! Applause
Canadian VW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 24, 2017 9:09 am    Post subject: Re: Resurrection of my 1967 Beetle Reply with quote

Pruneman99 wrote:
Canadian VW wrote:

That's a badass photo! Easily poster quality. Great build! Applause

Thanks, that old barn was the perfect back drop!

Last edited by Canadian VW on Fri Nov 24, 2017 9:14 am; edited 2 times in total
Canadian VW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 24, 2017 9:14 am    Post subject: Re: Resurrection of my 1967 Beetle Reply with quote

Got a first and second revision of my skid plate done up. It is about 20% thicker than others offered for sale. Added a couple drain holes in the bottom and adjusted the bend angles for a nice tight fit.

Stage one.

Stage two - rounded corners and drain holes. I have another local car going to run one of these and see how it holds up. His car is static and just as low as mine, that should be interesting.

Drzdirtbag
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2017 8:07 am    Post subject: Re: Resurrection of my 1967 Beetle Reply with quote

Sweet build bro...very nice work..I just picked up a 59, and starting on that..thanks for the motivation..
Cheers, randy.
Canadian VW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 7:38 am    Post subject: Re: Resurrection of my 1967 Beetle Reply with quote

Drzdirtbag wrote:
Sweet build bro...very nice work..I just picked up a 59, and starting on that..thanks for the motivation..
Cheers, randy.

I appreciate the kind words, best of luck on your build. This site had an answer for just about everything I ran into.

Last drive before the snow started falling.

pondoras box
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 2:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Resurrection of my 1967 Beetle Reply with quote

Canadian VW wrote:
Drzdirtbag wrote:
Cheers, randy.

I appreciate the kind words, best of luck on your build. This site had an answer for just about everything I ran into.

Last drive before the snow started falling.

Nice looking car!, That's crazy that you had clear skies today, we got all the lake effect snow on our side of the lake. No way would you have taken that out today on this side.

1961 23 Window (Bobo)
1965 11 Window (Zelda)
1965 13 Window (Lucas)
1957 Oval ragtop
1988 Cabriolet VR6 conversion
Plus a lot of other rusty junk
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Canadian VW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 10:59 am    Post subject: Re: Resurrection of my 1967 Beetle Reply with quote

Starting to pick away at the list of small items that need attention. New regulator installed.

Out with the old non functional fuel gauge and in with a used working replacement. I would never want a new shiny one in this burnt/crusty dash.

Also got a sliding rag top section, really happy about this one. It will be a while before I can source all the parts needed but it is a starting point.

Also had a small picture in a recent issue of PAS Magazine. It is the first time any of my cars have made it to print.

67CarGuy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 6:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Resurrection of my 1967 Beetle Reply with quote

Just read through the whole build... I'm very impressed! Nice to know that they can be brought back from whatever stage you find 'em in. I know I've got my work cut out for me, but as others have said, this is great inspiration!

Hope to see you at a show sometime (2-3+ years from now, fingers crossed...)

rcooled wrote:

On the other hand, if what the OP really wants is a project that'll take up all of his free time for a couple of years, relieve his bank account of many thousands of dollars and frustrate the living hell out of him, then this car is a good place to start.
Canadian VW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2018 7:19 am    Post subject: Re: Resurrection of my 1967 Beetle Reply with quote

I had my moments when I thought this car is just not going to make it. I took most projects on one at a time so I didnt get ten things done to 80%. I have made that mistake in the past with other projects.

The original turn signal arm did not self cancel on left turns and the high beam switch was missing. Found a NOS one here in the classifieds and picked it up. Works flawlessly! I also want a clock and RPM gauge so I got a column mount for them. The aluminum was way too shiny for my liking so I used bleach and tin foil to dull it down.

Before

After

Canadian VW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 9:02 am    Post subject: Re: Resurrection of my 1967 Beetle Reply with quote

Working away at getting this thing more water tight, I would like to make a 8 to 10 hour road trip (each way) this summer for a show in Montreal. Took care of the hood seal, it was half missing and rotten.

I also filled in some holes in the front apron, tried to leave as much of the original metal as possible.

New speedo cable to hopefully fix the bouncing needle the car currently has. I wont know till spring with a test drive.

swharris
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 10:42 am    Post subject: Re: Resurrection of my 1967 Beetle Reply with quote

Those hinges remind me of a scary moment that happened to my wife when I was restoring my first bug(a '69). I had the hood off doing wiring work but for some reason had pushed down the passenger side hinge to get access to something or other.

I was working on the opposite side when she walked up to the passenger side and looked over the side. Not sure if she touched it or what happened, but that hinge came unsprung and came up and hit her right on her windpipe/neck. Very scary. It cut her superficially and I think she still has a little scar, but it could have been massively worse. I always remind people to be very careful around those self-sprung hinges if they are loaded up and the hood is off.
Canadian VW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2018 10:07 am    Post subject: Re: Resurrection of my 1967 Beetle Reply with quote

The new speedo cable fixed my prior issue of the needle bouncing at speed. I had a small transmission leak ever since it was fully rebuilt, frustrating when that was one of the few areas I paid someone else to do the work. I got the leak sealed up and the side plate/axle boot put back together.

Snapped a couple pictures wile out this last week.

Tennessee Steinmetz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2018 10:30 am    Post subject: Re: Resurrection of my 1967 Beetle Reply with quote

Thanks for doing this thread. It is a very interesting read. I am in Ontario near you and got a 66 last September. Hope to make it to KW Bug Out this summer.

I would interested in finding out more details from you about the shell you brought in from the USA. How was it delivered to you? Is it like exporting a car or are you able to just bring it in as parts?
Canadian VW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2018 7:27 am    Post subject: Re: Resurrection of my 1967 Beetle Reply with quote

Gauges are in and I like the look of them. They are tucked down pretty low, I like keeping the interior as stock/basic looking as possible. I will tackle the wiring this weekend along with a under hood wire cover, driver vent window latch and front bumper seals.

Canadian VW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2018 8:41 am    Post subject: Re: Resurrection of my 1967 Beetle Reply with quote

I live the look of Coco floor mats, finally picked up a set in red/black. More rubber bits, the never ending struggle.....

Canadian VW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2018 9:27 am    Post subject: Re: Resurrection of my 1967 Beetle Reply with quote

Floor mats installed and I made some adjustments to the rear air ride set up. There are so many adjustment points in the Airkewld kit, trying to get things just right.

Canadian VW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2018 6:30 am    Post subject: Re: Resurrection of my 1967 Beetle Reply with quote

The Bug had to endure some freezing rain while the garage was used for another vehicle needing repair. Grabbed a couple interesting pictures from it.

Installed a vapor barrier on my doors, try to keep any moisture away from my new door panels. It is not perfect but should do the job.

Canadian VW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2018 5:19 am    Post subject: Re: Resurrection of my 1967 Beetle Reply with quote

A couple quick pictures on a recent drive. Also made it down to Niagara Falls (2 hours of all highway) without issue.

Next up will be either redoing all the door seals or start into a small stereo project...

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 5 of 6

Jump to: