Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

? Europeans buying North American Vanagon?
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
DAIZEE
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2014 1:02 pm    Post subject: ? Europeans buying North American Vanagon? Reply with quote

Today while I was working on Scooby (first bath in a lllloooooonnnnnnggg time) a Porche fellow came into the shop. He was European and had just come back. He said that two of his friends just bought 2 Vanagons at $30,000 plus. He also said that I should advertise mine in Europe. Have no concept of how to do it, nor if it is advantageous. CL and Kijiji and Auto Trader only let you advertise in your local area. I'd like to advertise in a bigger geographical area but don't know how to go about it.

So what about Europe and I've been told that if I could advertise in Montreal and Quebec City I'd hear from more people. Any ideas, the good and the bads, etc....
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
madspaniard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2014 1:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good timing on this question. Due to my wife's health I'm moving my family back to Europe by July. I've been wondering what to do with my Westy, sell it here or ship it back with us for a later sale over there.

"The only difference between me and a madman is that I'm not mad” - Salvador Dali
hans j
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2014 1:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been watch vans for sale in Europe, and they are a bit cheaper than here! Besides that, I know many USA vans would NOT pass MOT or TUV because they are so much more strict than our safety inspections.

I'd be interested to see what happens with all of this since I am still looking to own a syncro single cab someday!
madspaniard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2014 2:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hans j wrote:
I know many USA vans would NOT pass MOT or TUV because they are so much more strict than our safety inspections.

I'm not worried about this at all. The Vanagon was originally designed and sold in Europe to meet their standards. When brought to the US they made small modifications to meet US standards and those are easily reversible. I have already installed in my Westy european tailights and the three position (rear/front+rear/off) foglight switch. Just need to add the rear fog bulbholder and wiring. I also have the front square H4s and front Projekt Zwo foglights (although I think only rear foglight is mandatory). I would have to convert the camper to butane gas and 220V power.

I don't know a lot about this but I think the safety inspections are nothing to fear. I passed them year after year with cars in much worse condition than our Vanagons. They check things like working brakes (and hand brake), steering, all lights around, horn, windshield wipers and washers, tires. Again, for the Vanagon this is almost a check in the box isnce it was designed in Europe and would meet most standards with very little undoing of the US modifications (I think).

some info here

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4...mp;start=0

"The only difference between me and a madman is that I'm not mad” - Salvador Dali
Waldi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2014 2:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hans j wrote:
I've been watch vans for sale in Europe, and they are a bit cheaper than here! Besides that, I know many USA vans would NOT pass MOT or TUV because they are so much more strict than our safety inspections.

I'd be interested to see what happens with all of this since I am still looking to own a syncro single cab someday!

You could buy mine.

http://kleinanzeigen.ebay.de/anzeigen/s-anzeige/vw-t3-syncro-pritsche/227602142-216-7478?ref=myads
PDXWesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2014 2:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

madspaniard wrote:
Good timing on this question. Due to my wife's health I'm moving my family back to Europe by July. I've been wondering what to do with my Westy, sell it here or ship it back with us for a later sale over there.

If you can't decide Mad, I can take good care of it for you while you're gone. Wink
madspaniard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2014 2:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PDXWesty wrote:
madspaniard wrote:

If you can't decide Mad, I can take good care of it for you while you're gone. Wink

He, thanks but this is a one way ticket...

danbar
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2014 7:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't see higher prices in Europe when I've been shopping over there. I've been looking to bring a Syncro the other way. I have been told I should try and sell my splitty over there. The old stuff goes for crazy money. With the MOT and TUV inspections it not how or what it was built with but how it's been maintained and taken care of. They make sure everything remains operational and save, even on these old rigs.
vela123321
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2014 8:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

madspaniard wrote:
hans j wrote:
I know many USA vans would NOT pass MOT or TUV because they are so much more strict than our safety inspections.

I'm not worried about this at all. The Vanagon was originally designed and sold in Europe to meet their standards. When brought to the US they made small modifications to meet US standards and those are easily reversible. I have already installed in my Westy european tailights and the three position (rear/front+rear/off) foglight switch. Just need to add the rear fog bulbholder and wiring. I also have the front square H4s and front Projekt Zwo foglights (although I think only rear foglight is mandatory). I would have to convert the camper to butane gas and 220V power.

I don't know a lot about this but I think the safety inspections are nothing to fear. I passed them year after year with cars in much worse condition than our Vanagons. They check things like working brakes (and hand brake), steering, all lights around, horn, windshield wipers and washers, tires. Again, for the Vanagon this is almost a check in the box isnce it was designed in Europe and would meet most standards with very little undoing of the US modifications (I think).

some info here

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4...mp;start=0

I looked into a van on www.dutchcampervans.com when I lived in Germany. Most countries have a lot stricter smog rules than we do. The Vanagon wouldn't qualify for a green sticker that allows the van to drive into the major cities. I'm not sure how other countries handle this, but I did have a Frenchman ask me about the California catalytic converter for his old Citroen car.

Good luck! I'd love a van over there. A lot of the older vans are full of rust and other issues.

1987 Westfalia Vanagon 2.1 automatic
2014 VW TDi Jetta Sportwagen (Dieselgate)
2016 BMW 328i

1967 Bug... given to a friend
others not VW... Toyota, Audi, Volvo, Datsun, International Harvester

Last edited by vela123321 on Thu Sep 25, 2014 8:18 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
madspaniard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2014 8:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

danbar wrote:
With the MOT and TUV inspections it not how or what it was built with but how it's been maintained and taken care of. They make sure everything remains operational and save, even on these old rigs.

Yes, they also check for rust and any modifications done to the structure. Unless you went crazy with the welder or you have a rust bucket or didn't do much maintenance or had a major accident that affected the frame you should have no problem passing these inspections (assuming all systems operational and in good shape). Some of the Vanagons in Germany have serious rust issues that compromise the structure.

DAIZEE
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2014 8:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well then it doesn't seem feasible to try to sell a North American van into Europe.What about the other part of my question. Listing one's van in several (2 or 3) major geographical centres in say Canada. I'd like to post ads in CL, Kijiji, Auto Trader in Toronto, Montreal and Quebec City.

Wouldn't I just need a local postal code and a different email addy?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
danbar
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2014 8:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not sure how CL posting is done but whenever I use Search Tempest I see several vans posted in multiple locations, especially in Canada. Can't be too hard, you might just go to where you want to list it and put it up.
vela123321
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2014 8:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.auto.de/markt/angebot/id/4602/offerid/124268407

http://www.pkw.de/suche/regensburg/gebrauchtwagen/vw/t2/82008202408738308

2016 BMW 328i

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
vela123321
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2014 8:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vela123321 wrote:
http://www.auto.de/markt/angebot/id/4602/offerid/124268407

http://www.pkw.de/suche/regensburg/gebrauchtwagen/vw/t2/82008202408738308

http://www.auto.de/markt/angebot/id/1085/offerid/125764304/VW-T3

This shows a green TUV sticker for emissions... That's a good sign. I'll try and find a better site for pricing. I do know that many of the vans I looked at over there were full of rust. I would think someone would be happy for a van in good shape

2016 BMW 328i

vanonimous
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2014 9:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, amazing, I was just thinking of this scenario this morning and there is a topic about it here? Am I catching someone's brain waves or what? Laughing

We are thinking of moving to Europe so the inevitable questions pops up, take the vans or not?
My worry would be technical inspections and legality of conversions but that could vary from country to country. They have a lot of vans there but for the most part they are beat.

Lighting upgrades: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=578291
rubbachicken
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2014 10:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hans j wrote:

there are safety inspections out here, where ? Laughing

they are not more strict, they just HAVE safety inspections Wink

i've recently been making safe a few california and washington vans, that in my opinion should not be allowed on the road.
their owners though they were safe, until i showed them what was wrong, and then fixed the issues, now they realize how just how bad the condition of their vans were.

lucy's BIG adventure

meet 'burni'

markswagen {mobile mechanic} san diego area all early VW's cared for.

619 201 0310 or 617 935 4182
ratrodthing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2014 10:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hello
the green plates are not the problem in germany
is the bus over 30 years (busses-1984)we make a specal tüv
and than is an oldtimer and all is free in germany
we drive with H-plates
i have red plates and i can drive till 10 cars with 1 plates
in germany free but also for meeting or check drives
i also look in us because i search an syncro westi
because in germany all busses have problems with rust
in germany when snows there are many salt on the streets
that is not good for the cars
wee think in the nex years the good vanagon was very rar in germany and europe
and the price becomes an explosion
16CVs Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2014 10:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Daizee

Vanagon,bus Westfalia, all the same to most people .Yea the Europeans are paying big money for 77-79 Westfalia Campers ,preferably Berlins with full kitchens, They want them Nice rust free and California plates help to seal the deal.
Sure there is some overlap where they are buying NICE bay window campers and Passenger vans. I have been through Europe 3 times in the last 6 years in one and have seen what they like.
Just like our Vanagons ,most people want 86 and up and more want 88-91 vans ,because they are expensive the 83.5-85 are commanding better money and some 80 -83 sell for better money.
My buddy who builds them,ships them gets them certified and fronts all the costs until it sells ,could not find a Bay Window one year and did a nice full power 89 Westy and had a hard time getting half of what the bay window sold for.
I think it will be a few years until they start to want Vanagons ,and then they will be as picky as they are now for splits and bays.

Stacy
Samba member # 14980
Call anytime number 650 722 4914 .
Keep Your van running and upkept tastefully for the love of the hobby.
Don't let your van end up in an "abortions" thread.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mcdonaldneal
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2014 10:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ratrodthing wrote:
hello
the green plates are not the problem in germany
is the bus over 30 years (busses-1984)we make a specal tüv
and than is an oldtimer and all is free in germany
we drive with H-plates
i have red plates and i can drive till 10 cars with 1 plates
in germany free but also for meeting or check drives
i also look in us because i search an syncro westi
because in germany all busses have problems with rust
in germany when snows there are many salt on the streets
that is not good for the cars
wee think in the nex years the good vanagon was very rar in germany and europe
and the price becomes an explosion

It sounds as though Germany is much the same as the UK, safety, equipment and emissions checks are generally age related. In Northern Europe and Britain the roads are salted up to half the year, so vehicles in good structural condition become rare very quickly at about 25yrs of age. In Scotland I never see a beetle now, rarely a bus, and Vanagons are going the same way, with a predictable change in prices...

Stop dead photo links! Post photos to The Samba Gallery!
madspaniard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2014 9:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So the real question is not whether you will sell your Vanagon in Europe for less than a Splittie or Bay but rather whether you would sell a Vanagon (Westaflia in my case) for more money than here in the States after taking into account the $2,500-$3,000 to get it there. This is a complicated question where factors like year, model and condition can make it or break it.

In my case, 1991 Westy with all the bells and whistles, the only thing not done is engine conversion, stock rebuilt engine) I know I could get a pretty decent penny comes spring based on what the market has done in the last years. I'm not sure I would get that kind of money in Europe.

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: