Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Type 1 Thermostat in Type 4?
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
RevKevin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2008 8:30 pm    Post subject: Type 1 Thermostat in Type 4? Reply with quote

So I've read a few of the online tutorials about using a T1 thermostat in place of the stock T4.

I have a Type 1 thermostat that I picked up on ebay and as well as a new cable on the way. The stock thermostat and original parts are still there as far as I can tell. Am I going to need any additional parts to make the T1 work and is there anything else I should have on hand or is it a pretty straightforward swap?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mightyart
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2008 8:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you read the articals online you probaly know that you have to modify it a little to get the cable to work with it, other then that you just need the stock stuff.
I happend to have a threaded rod that I bent and drilled a hole in and it turned out like this:
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Thought you were going to get rid of the Van after the oil screen bolt snafu?
Hows that daughter of yours doing?
RevKevin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2008 12:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sweet, thanks. In all the tutorials they mentioned some kind of slight modification would be needed but didn't get into too many details as far as exactly what. The site I ordered the cable from had some kind of square washer that looked like it could do something similar but they were out of stock.

The one thing keeping me from doing the quick and easy fix was the van was my daily driver so I was leaning towards a new block or TIG welding and re tapping the point on the block where the crossbolt anchors. We picked up a Volvo 940 Wagon a few months back that's our new daily driver/family car so the performance pressure is off of the Vanagon but I still need it as a second car.

I'm pretty much leaning towards just sealing it with something along the lines of hi temp JB Weld or Allenweld. Any Ideas?

As far as Lydia I was going to post some pics in a separate post to give everyone an update on hows she's doing, thanks for asking.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
RevKevin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2008 6:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So looks the guy who sold me the thermostat on ebay might be backing out. Anyone have any good sources for a decent type 1 (or better yet a type 4) for under $50?
Rhinoculips
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2008 6:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm confused. What is the benefit of putting a T1 Thermostat into a T4?

Click to view image
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mightyart
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2008 7:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rhinoculips wrote:
I'm confused. What is the benefit of putting a T1 Thermostat into a T4?

It opens the flaps when the engine gets hot, just a little sooner.
T4 thermostats are like dinosaurs.
You might be SOL for anything under $50.00
I got mine at German Supply http://www.germansupply.com/home/customer/product.php?productid=16422&cat=&page=1
Did the guy say why he won't sell it to you?
Did you win it in an auction?
RevKevin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 08, 2008 1:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Won it for $45. Apparently he had to go in for surgery and while he was gone his son swiped it. He says he's going to try to get it back but if he can't I hate to ruin his 100% feedback. I transferred funds minutes after the auction closed so he already has my money.

German Supply is where I have the new cable and a few other bits on the way from, would suck to have to pay more shipping on a second order.

I've seen a few in the classified section but they're either overpriced or junky looking. Any idea if the newer air cooled spring style I keep seeing would work or is even worth messing with?
TWD
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 08, 2008 2:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

RevKevin wrote:
Any idea if the newer air cooled spring style I keep seeing would work or is even worth messing with?

I used the newer style on a Type 1 for a while. It worked well, but they fail closed, not open like the originals. I found a few NOS thermostats and replaced it.
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 08, 2008 10:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mightyart wrote:

I got mine at German Supply http://www.germansupply.com/home/customer

That price is incredible. 3 or 4 years ago I bought the last one listed in the VWOA system for something like 18 bucks US.
reluctantartist
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2008 8:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you have the old thermostat? do you have all the pieces. Are there any cracks in it? When these fail and do not have cracks, they can be repaired. You have to be handy with a soldering iron. Look here http://www.ratwell.com/technical/Thermostats.html

Good luck

Air cooled rocks.
RCB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2008 9:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ive heard so much about a thermostat on an air-cooled Vanagon I called the VW dealer in Redwood City and they said no need to install one .
The temperature here in the Bay Area doesent call for one.
Two mechanics at the dealership said the same thing and the mechanic Ive used for umteen years said the same thing.
I know that if they fail for whatever reason the flaps will stay open.
I havent had any issues here in the San Francisco Bay Area and Ive had Helga (82 air-cooled Westy) for quite awhile.
So fah so good. Fingers crossed ??
greenbus pilot
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2008 9:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RCB wrote:
Ive heard so much about a thermostat on an air-cooled Vanagon I called the VW dealer in Redwood City and they said no need to install one .
The temperature here in the Bay Area doesent call for one.
Two mechanics at the dealership said the same thing and the mechanic Ive used for umteen years said the same thing.
I know that if they fail for whatever reason the flaps will stay open.
I havent had any issues here in the San Francisco Bay Area and Ive had Helga (82 air-cooled Westy) for quite awhile.
So fah so good. Fingers crossed ??

So. If they are NOT needed, why did VW install one? Surely, they could have saved a few Marks by not inventing it. I say use it. Why tempt danger? If you want to drive a vehicle where you can outsmart the factory, try some Italian or British cars. Rolling Eyes
RCB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2008 10:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

VW had no idea on where the vehicles would be sent to once they were manufactured. They cost so little monies they decided to put one on all of them. They were just covering their ass . If your located in Alaska ya need one if your in Death Valley you dont need a thermostat now do you.
The lowest the temperature gets here in the Bay Area is about 50`and when it gets cold I just warm up my Westy a few extra minutes B4 hitting the road.
Now...................................my actions are based on what I was told by the VW dealerships Service Department and the VW mechanics at the dealership and the independant mechanics who have worked on my Westy for year upon year.
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2008 10:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No doubt about it, the need for engine temperature control is climate related. When I lived in Alaska years ago, I cut holes in the tin on my T1 to cause recirculation of cooling air during the winter, also taped all the engine compartment vents shut. Doing that would have killed an engine in southern Cal.
RevKevin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2008 12:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

reluctantartist wrote:
Do you have the old thermostat? do you have all the pieces. Are there any cracks in it? When these fail and do not have cracks, they can be repaired. You have to be handy with a soldering iron. Look here http://www.ratwell.com/technical/Thermostats.html

Good luck

Air cooled rocks.

Actually I am pretty handy with a soldering iron, if I had to take my gear to the shop every time I had an electrical issue I probably would have quit playing music long ago, plus I've been known to mod effects pedals and circuit bend a little as well, but I think a torch would work better in this case. I keep one handy for plumbing emergencies.

T1 thermostat has already arrived, I'm glad someone dug my post back up because I have an issue I was gong to ask about...

I was following the advice of the German Supply Article:
http://www.germansupply.com/xcart/customer/home.ph..._in_t4.tpl which was basically crack the thread-lock on the "spud" (threaded tube that cooling flap rod would have connected to in the T1 system) then feed the cable through and screw it back on.

The solder came undone around the base of the piece so I need to repair it anyway. The bellows had cracked on my T4, but since I have my T4 still, what's to keep me from removing the mounting nipple from the T1 thermostat and replacing it with the one from my T4 so it has the proper way to connect the cable?

And if I replaced whatever liquid came in the T1 with 2ml of isopropyl alcohol as stated in the ratwell article it would operate at the correct temperature?
reluctantartist
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2008 7:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
The solder came undone around the base of the piece so I need to repair it anyway. The bellows had cracked on my T4, but since I have my T4 still, what's to keep me from removing the mounting nipple from the T1 thermostat and replacing it with the one from my T4 so it has the proper way to connect the cable?

That is what I did with the T1 thermostat I used.

Quote:
And if I replaced whatever liquid came in the T1 with 2ml of isopropyl alcohol as stated in the ratwell article it would operate at the correct temperature?

That would get it closer to the right temp...I think it is actually 10 degrees on the cool side like around 70-75. But that is way better than nothing.

Even in San Fran the thermostat is needed. The type 4 should open at 85 degrees not 50. Also, you want to be able to go someplace and never know what the temp will be.
Good luck
RevKevin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2008 9:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Perfect! Thank you! You think someone would have mentioned that at one point in the articles, but it sounds like in most cases people are replacing the thermostat after the PO removed it.

I don't doubt the need of the thermostat, especially up here in Seattle where the weather fluctuates so much. Every article I've read so far on the subject seems to start out with a variation of: "You may not think you need a thermostat, but... engine wear, warped cylinders, the four horsemen, etc."
germansupplyscott
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2008 9:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

anyone who says a thermostat is not needed for a type 4 engine simply doesn't understand how the cooling flaps work. if they work for a VW dealer then shame on them all the more. the main issue is that without a stat your oil temperatures will be all wrong. the cooling flaps on a type 4 have a critical secondary role: besides regulating the cooling air stream to the cylinders and heads, the left flap controls the airflow to the oil cooler, diverting air away from it while the engine is cold, directing maximum air to the cooler once the engine reaches operating temperature. furthermore, people who remove the cooling flaps altogether - we see it regularly in the shop - are asking for trouble. without the flaps, airflow to the oil cooler is almost non-existent.

as for the comments above about the pricing of the thermostats on our website, i would be very happy to offer them for much less, but the price on our site only reflects our costs on this part. it is not as if we are sitting on a cache of these are charging premium prices, the costs are what they are and it is surely unfortunate that such an important item is so expensive. however we think it is better to have them for sale than not.

we have an article:

http://www.germansupply.com/xcart/customer/home.ph..._in_t4.tpl

on installing a type 1 stat into a type 4 engine. it is a very simple project.
RevKevin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2008 12:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for jumping in Scott, good to know you guys are on here. Guess where I bought my new T-stat cable...

RevKevin wrote:

I was following the advice of the German Supply Article:
http://www.germansupply.com/xcart/customer/home.ph..._in_t4.tpl which was basically crack the thread-lock on the "spud" (threaded tube that cooling flap rod would have connected to in the T1 system) then feed the cable through and screw it back on.
RevKevin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2008 7:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So I finally had a few hours to myself today and got around to pulling the old thermostat. When comparing it to the Type 1 I bought I noticed some differences that concerned me.

Here was the ebay description:
"USED ORIGINAL FACTORY THERMOSTAT
HAS A FEW DINGS & DENTS ON TOP
THREADS PERFECT

TYPE I BETTLE 61-74
TYPE II BUS, VAN 60-71
Ghia 61-74
Type III FASTBACK 62-73
& THING 73-74 12-1600cc

65*/70* CENTIGRADE
PRE-TESTED OPENS AND CLOSES AT SPECS
VOLKSWAGEN P/N 111 119 159A"

#1. When it arrived I noticed that it had been painted with gold paint, which I kind of shrugged my shoulders at. All the solder was obviously new as well.

#2. When comparing the old and new thermostat I noticed that the only marking on the new one was the temperature range. Nowhere was there a VW or Wahler logo.

#3. Notice that on the new one that there is only a plate on one side, and it doesn't have the 4 tabs like the Type 1 and Type 4 thermostats in the other picture.

#4. My digital camera bit it the other week, otherwise I'd have a side by side picture of the old and new thermostats, but the new one is actually about 1/2" longer than the old one and the bellows are finer if that makes sense.

So I guess basicly what I'm asking is what was it the guy actually sent me, did I get gyped, is this an old cheap knockoff instead of a genuine VW part, or did I mess up and get the wrong Type 1 thermostat?

Looks like what I'm going to have to do is shave a few bellows off of the new one then solder the type 4 plate on there. Any suggestions as far as what tool to use?
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: