Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Both front shocks popped out
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
duderanchero
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2014 3:45 pm    Post subject: Both front shocks popped out Reply with quote

Hit a pothole at night, after which the drive was noticeably bouncier. Drove it home, found that both front shocks had busted through the lower mounting bolts (bolts were nowhere to be found, shocks were protruding visibly beyond lower control arm).

What pre-existing condition might have allowed this to happen?

Since I bought the van, there's been a fair amount of rattling looseness in the front passenger side suspension. The driver side was okay until now.

Thanks for any advice, links, anecdotes, predilections, transubstantiations, and permutations!
dart330
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2014 3:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had this happen once before. The lower bolts weren't torqued correctly when the shocks were installed. That explains the noise you heard as they loosened up and why the bolts fell out. Tried using the same size hardware from a local store, but even the strongest they had weren't up to the task and they broke off after being installed.

You will need 3 parts to fix this correctly.
Front Lower Shock Bolt N.040.161.1
http://www.van-cafe.com/home/van/page_520_1354/front-lower-shock-bolt.html
Front Lower Shock Nut N.011.021.2
http://www.van-cafe.com/home/van/page_519_1354/front-lower-shock-nut.html
Tapered Ring for Front Shock Bolt VC.251.413.097
http://www.van-cafe.com/home/van/page_2153_1354/tapered_ring_for_front_shock_bolt.html
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Twitter Gallery Classifieds Feedback
spacecadet
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2014 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Original OEM Shocks? Ever swapped or changed?

If someone in the past had replaced the shocks and didn't put back the metal bushing that those lower shock bolts use to keep from bouncing around inside the lower control arm. The excessive play could lead to metal fatigue and eventually your situation.

Maybe someone can show a photo of this assembly?
1986 Mercedes 300 Coupe (Sold)
1954 Volvo PV544 (Sold)
1990 Dodge D250 Cummins (Totaled)
1990 Vanagon GL 2.1 Automatic (Sold)
1968 Ford F250(Current)
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Classifieds Feedback
MayorMcCheese
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2014 4:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Torque specs for those bolts is pretty high and they require the tapered spacer.
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2014 4:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry this happened but it begs to be asked......

If you had persistent "rattling" in the front suspension...... Why on earth did you continue to drive it?

There is little more important that the ability to steer......well......maybe brakes.

The Van was giving you fair warning but you didn't listen to it speaking to you.

You really need to listen to old vehicles, they talk constantly.
Ignore their conversations..... Crap happens.

Dave

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
the joker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2014 4:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You must learn every new and odd noise

It will head off a lot of headaches / $$$$

My son (15) is slowly learning the normal Humm of the engine
and the difference between road noise and problem's [/quote]
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2014 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds and smells should be payed attention to..
IdahoDoug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2014 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting timing. I have been chasing an annoying heavy rattle on my van for months. Periodically, I'd get worried enough to jack it up and examine everything with a flashlight and yank on things. Nothing. Had it aligned last month after putting in a new steering rack and tie rods for unrelated reasons (leak). Asked the tech to see if he could find anything while under it. Nope.

Finally, I decided my shocks must have failed internally and were the source. They did not wobble on the mounts and did not appear to be missing the rubber bushings.

In removing the front right shock I found the rattle. The lower mount is missing the little grommet like reducer that makes for a tight fit on the shock bolt. The shock bolt showed some wear from moving slightly.

So, I guess I'm defending him a bit if this was going to be my fate someday and I think you are exactly right in what happened with him. There was no way to know unless you finally got to the point I did and replaced the shocks suspecting the rattle was internal to them.

So to the OP - check and see if you are missing the metal grommets on the lower shock mounts. Should be one for each end of the shock bolt. If both are missing then your bolts were trashed and that's likely what caused it.

Doug
1987 2WD Wolfsburg Vanagon Weekender "Mango", two fully locked 80 Series LandCruisers. 2017 Subaru Outback boxer. 1990 Audi 90 Quattro 20V with rear locking differential, 1990 burgundy parts Vanagon. 1984 Porsche 944, 1988 Toyota Supra 5 speed targa, 2002 BMW 325iX, 1982 Toyota Sunrader
torchmonkey
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2014 7:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are these required for pre 1985 vans? Yes I posted this question in two separate threads. Need answers ASAP.
duderanchero
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2014 8:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like spacecadet is today's winner--thank you! There are no grommets/spacers on either side. Each shock requires two?

dart330, thanks for the links--I'll keep the torque specs in mind when I reinstall.

IdahoDoug, I've looked/yanked around quite a bit under mine, too, trying to locate the rattle. I think I have an issue beyond the shock spacers, since both sides appear to have been missing those.
IdahoDoug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2014 11:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just FYI, you won't see these easily unless you have removed the lower bolts. The bolt heads cover them up and press them against the shock's lower eye, essentially creating a tubular sandwich under tension that the big shock bolt rides in and is held from vibrating. Cool design. When they are all together and tightened up, you'd need good eyes and a bright flashlight to see the faint edge of the tensioning washer that I am missing.

My rattle was fairly loud and not the lighter sound of an exhaust heat sheild or brake rotor dust shield. It was bordering on a rapid fire clank.

In 20/20 hindsight after I found the issue it was obvious the steel and iron worn off from the two parts (steel bolt/cast iron hole in lower arm) was responsible for the pattern of bright red rust powder trickling out of the lower arm. Did you pull the lower bolts off completely to check? Find empty holes where the grommet should be?
1987 2WD Wolfsburg Vanagon Weekender "Mango", two fully locked 80 Series LandCruisers. 2017 Subaru Outback boxer. 1990 Audi 90 Quattro 20V with rear locking differential, 1990 burgundy parts Vanagon. 1984 Porsche 944, 1988 Toyota Supra 5 speed targa, 2002 BMW 325iX, 1982 Toyota Sunrader
Vanagon Nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2016 3:28 pm    Post subject: Tapered ring front shock lower bolt (newer style lower arm) Reply with quote

MayorMcCheese wrote:
Torque specs for those bolts is pretty high and they require the tapered spacer.

Given vehicle age, corrosion, does tapered ring at front shock lower bolt typically require replacement?

This is on an 88 westy, lower miles, likely original shocks. Before I remove the shocks, thought I'd ask first.

Neil

1988 West DIY 50º ABA

VE7TBN
j_dirge
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2016 3:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Tapered ring front shock lower bolt (newer style lower arm) Reply with quote

Vanagon Nut wrote:
MayorMcCheese wrote:

Given vehicle age, corrosion, does tapered ring at front shock lower bolt typically require replacement?

This is on an 88 westy, lower miles, likely original shocks. Before I remove the shocks, thought I'd ask first.

Neil

I never replaced mine.. They are heavy gauge and would likely out last the bolt.

If rusted, I'd replace them.
If in doubt, Van Cafe has them... and then store the old ones.

-57 pan f/g buggy with a 67 pancake Type 3 "S"
"Jimi Hendrix owned one. Richard Nixon did not"
-Grand Tour, Season 1, episodes 4 and 5

danfromsyr wrote:
those are straight line runs with light weight race cars for only 1/4mile at a time..
not pushing a loaded brick up a mountain pass with a family of 4+ inside expecting to have an event free vacation..
Vanagon Nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2016 4:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Both front shocks popped out Reply with quote

Thanks. Helpful to know. I have the sleeves on order but those parts will be at least several days away. Want to do shocks now.

1988 West DIY 50º ABA

VE7TBN
j_dirge
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2016 4:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Both front shocks popped out Reply with quote

Vanagon Nut wrote:
Thanks. Helpful to know. I have the sleeves on order but those parts will be at least several days away. Want to do shocks now.

They are easy to replace..

If you want to do the shocks now,.. go ahead... You can pop the bolt out again later, turn the lower shock body and pop out the sleeve.. once you have new ones in hand..

Or just leave the originals in place if, during new shock install, they look clean and there's no deformation from them having been left loose.. or some such.

-57 pan f/g buggy with a 67 pancake Type 3 "S"
"Jimi Hendrix owned one. Richard Nixon did not"
-Grand Tour, Season 1, episodes 4 and 5

danfromsyr wrote:
those are straight line runs with light weight race cars for only 1/4mile at a time..
not pushing a loaded brick up a mountain pass with a family of 4+ inside expecting to have an event free vacation..
Vanagon Nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2016 4:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Both front shocks popped out Reply with quote

Yes f course. Thanks. Easy to do later.

1988 West DIY 50º ABA

VE7TBN
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: