Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Lack of power, Low compression....Cylinder Head replacement
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
bosstyn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 26, 2015 7:48 pm    Post subject: Lack of power, Low compression....Cylinder Head replacement Reply with quote

Hey guys. os heres the deal. Out of the blue (more or less) my van started running like a three legged dog. Wouldn't go over 45 or so and feels like its fighting a 40 kt headwind.
To get it started i have to floor the gas to get it to catch and after that it smells like its running pretty rich. It runs rough really giving the engine a rocking and backfires on occasion. It was running like a top yesterday.
My friend (aircraft mechanic and all around handy guy) looked it over and heres what we found:
  • Injectors seem to be spraying appropriately and in a good pattern.
  • The O2 sensor was changed.
  • All grounds that we can see appear to be in good working order.
  • We cleaned the dist. rotor and contacts.
  • All plug wires have good spark.
  • No MAJOR exhaust leaks. Maybe a small one but it doesn't seem to be a huge issue.

As far as the AFM goes, we tested the Ohms on the current in place one and a spare i have. Both tested with pretty small ranges. At about 1/4 inch open it reads Over Limit.
We tested this in place on the running engine. Hand manipulation of the AFM with the throttle seems to make it run better, but its hard to match the two by hand. (the throttle deceleration switch checked out fine).
That being said, should i drop a small fortune on a new AFM?
Does anyone have some good insight as to the appropriate working ranges of a normal AFM?
Do these things just drop dead?
Any ideas as to what else might be the cause?

Thanks everyone!
crazyvwvanman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 26, 2015 8:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Do i need a new AFM Reply with quote

Ohm readings are done with POWER OFF. If you want to take readings with the engine running you should measure voltage, not ohms.

Mark
pomfritz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 26, 2015 8:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Do i need a new AFM Reply with quote

Check out these guys

http://www.fuelinjectioncorp.com/

They can test it for you and rebuild it if needed.

I'll be sending mine in soon as I know it's got a few worn track areas. $200

I believe the ones GW sells are done by these guys.
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Dec 26, 2015 8:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Do i need a new AFM Reply with quote

Before spending money on an AFM, pull the plugs, take a compression test.

Slip in new plugs if compression checks out, see if things are better.

If you live in the current wet zone....PNW, I'd for sure suspect wet wires or distributor cap.

Dave

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 26, 2015 10:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Do i need a new AFM Reply with quote

bosstyn wrote:
All grounds that we can see appear to be in good working order.

Electricity doesn't much care what something looks like. Remove, clean, and inspect very carefully any and all of the FI grounds and the two engine to body ground straps.
Luckyphil
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 27, 2015 1:45 am    Post subject: Re: Do i need a new AFM Reply with quote

Replace your temp2 sensor, its in the side of the thermostat housing.
nacradriver
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 27, 2015 7:44 am    Post subject: Re: Do i need a new AFM Reply with quote

bosstyn wrote:
Hey guys. os heres the deal. Out of the blue (more or less) my van started running like a three legged dog. Wouldn't go over 45 or so and feels like its fighting a 40 kt headwind.
To get it started i have to floor the gas to get it to catch and after that it smells like its running pretty rich. It runs rough really giving the engine a rocking and backfires on occasion. It was running like a top yesterday.
My friend (aircraft mechanic and all around handy guy) looked it over and heres what we found:
Injectors seem to be spraying appropriately and in a good pattern.
The O2 sensor was changed.
All grounds that we can see appear to be in good working order.
We cleaned the dist. rotor and contacts.
All plug wires have good spark.
No MAJOR exhaust leaks. Maybe a small one but it doesn't seem to be a huge issue.

As far as the AFM goes, we tested the Ohms on the current in place one and a spare i have. Both tested with pretty small ranges. At about 1/4 inch open it reads Over Limit.
We tested this in place on the running engine. Hand manipulation of the AFM with the throttle seems to make it run better, but its hard to match the two by hand. (the throttle deceleration switch checked out fine).
That being said, should i drop a small fortune on a new AFM?
Does anyone have some good insight as to the appropriate working ranges of a normal AFM?
Do these things just drop dead?
Any ideas as to what else might be the cause?

Thanks everyone!

When you got gas the last time.... was it at Cheveron by any chance? I filled up at the Cheveron (Upper State and La Cumbra) and the van started to run like *)&(^^ 20 minutes down the 101
pushkick
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 27, 2015 8:34 am    Post subject: Re: Do i need a new AFM Reply with quote

i have been having the same problem and i found a thread that talks about the altenator harness
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=642882

my engine seems to run fine one day and low power the next day and rough idle and low gas mileage. some one needs to make a obII compliant ecu for this van. what ever happened to gowesty mass flow meter upgrade to replace the afm
1990 vw automatic camper
insyncro
Banned

PostPosted: Sun Dec 27, 2015 8:42 am    Post subject: Re: Do i need a new AFM Reply with quote

Get a DigiTool.
Ahwahnee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 27, 2015 9:07 am    Post subject: Re: Do i need a new AFM Reply with quote

Also worthwhile to verify that the O2's center lead is not shorting to the grounded coax (probably a fat green wire). Several threads describing this, can be checked in a minute with your ohmmeter.
bosstyn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 27, 2015 10:06 am    Post subject: Re: Do i need a new AFM Reply with quote

The Ohms were tested with the AFM out and off. The throttle deceleration switch was also tested when off.
As far as maybe bad gas, it sounds plausible. Ive just never experienced bad gas and I'm curious if it would make my van idle like crap and feel like it was driving through molasses. It will drive and get up to RPM but it never gets out of that lower end. Kind of like it never hits its power band.
We changed the plugs maybe thinking it fouled a plug and had a dead cylinder. No dice.
i can check the grounds again and more extensively. Could grounds really make that much of a stark one day to the other difference?
Ill change the plug wires and see if i can find a junkyard AFM to slide in there and see if theres any change.

Doe anyone knowhow the ohmmeter testing of the AFM should look? I know it needs to be steady and not erratic when testing Ohms, but it only goes about 1/4 of an inch before testing OL.

O2 sensor wire seems to be in god shape.
I did find a wire that goes from the ignition box to somewhere under the engine. (oil pressure sensor?) it melted at some point in its life and was zip-tied up. But grounding it out on metal while it was running didn't seem to make any difference.

So as it runs now, like i said, it feel like molasses. The throttle is a bit dogged when you operate it by hand. The engine seems to run fine at high RPM but its really lacking power. And it idles like crap most of the time. Rough enough to bounce that thing side to side enough that its clanging metal.

Any thoughts are appreciated.
Ahwahnee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 27, 2015 10:36 am    Post subject: Re: Do i need a new AFM Reply with quote

bosstyn wrote:
The Ohms were tested with the AFM out and off...

I do not think an ohmmeter is the way to check this. On the bench one can use a 9V (transistor radio) battery to supply power and measure the change with a volt meter (I prefer an analog for this). On the engine one can use the 5V power supplied to the AFM when the ignition is on.

bosstyn wrote:
O2 sensor wire seems to be in god shape...

Visual inspection of that wire is inconclusive. Connecting an ohmmeter to the center lead and a ground is the only way I know to be sure there isn't an internal short to the coax.

One last thought - you could possibly have a collapsed cat converter. This failure is often accompanied by a slight change in the sound of the exhaust. May also (but not always) be able to get a rattle inside the cat when you pound on it. Only definitive test I know of is to measure the back pressure. I do this by removing the O2 and using a simple pressure gauge.

There is a lot you can check before buying parts to try out on it.
Merian
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 27, 2015 1:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Do i need a new AFM Reply with quote

do the cheapest and easiest things 1st - T2 sensor repl. & drain all the gas out (yes, bad gas can cause those symptoms) - change filter too

you HAVE replaced your fuel lines and used the correct new hoses and clamps, right?

if not, then take you time and do it - repl. rubber brake hoses with new rubber & flush the system every 2 years also

send the injectors in for cleaning & they'll be back by the time you're done with the hoses

you can test or repl. the O2 sensor afterwards - they aren't all that spendy - don't try a hack splice, repl. the entire unit and coax
syncrosimon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 27, 2015 1:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Do i need a new AFM Reply with quote

Link

Making that video helped me understand how the AFM works. Hope it helps, as it's real easy to see if your AFM is running nice and smooth. The analogue meter really helps to see if you have a nice smooth output.

Simon
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 27, 2015 1:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Do i need a new AFM Reply with quote

Maybe add some 90-99% isopropyl alcohol to your tank (either from a pharmacy or the red Iso-Heet from a FLAPS) and see what that does. If you have gasohol with a lot of water-alcohol mix hanging out near the bottom of the tank it will help to disperse the water throughout the fuel. If the seals in your fuel tank and/or expansion tanks are going bad water that gets thrown up onto the top of the tanks can get in and really mess up the way your engine runs.
bosstyn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2015 6:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Do i need a new AFM Reply with quote

fuel treated and subsequently drained. Re-filled with new gas. No dice.
AFM appears to be operating normally though not as smooth as the video.
Fuel pump is supplying pressure.
Got spark in all the cylinders. Plugs cleaned up and replaced.
Grounds checked.
O2 sensor replaced.

Motor still running rough, dogged and accelerates sluggishly. Like its not getting the right fuel mixture. (hence chasing the bad gas thing). floored its only getting up to 45 mph or so. Feels like its driving through molasses.
It was starting to run like crap, and the next day i was trying to accentuate exhaust leaks, plugged the exhaust with a rag and hand for a few seconds and it died. started running like hell after that. (did i blow something up with my exhaust plug move?).

Could the CAT be my culprit?
Maybe a bad AFM?
kinda running out of ideas.
syncrodoka
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2015 6:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Do I need a new AFM? Reply with quote

Pull the cat and verify that the insides haven't shat out and is blocking the exhaust flow to the muffler.
bosstyn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2015 6:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Do I need a new AFM? Reply with quote

Ill pull the CAT tomorrow.
Planning on replacing the temp II sensor, fuel pump (can't hurt to have an extra) and fuel filter in the morning.
Hopefully one of those sheds some light on it.
nacradriver
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2015 6:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Do i need a new AFM Reply with quote

bosstyn wrote:
fuel treated and subsequently drained. Re-filled with new gas. No dice.
AFM appears to be operating normally though not as smooth as the video.
Fuel pump is supplying pressure.
Got spark in all the cylinders. Plugs cleaned up and replaced.
Grounds checked.
O2 sensor replaced.

Motor still running rough, dogged and accelerates sluggishly. Like its not getting the right fuel mixture. (hence chasing the bad gas thing). floored its only getting up to 45 mph or so. Feels like its driving through molasses.
It was starting to run like crap, and the next day i was trying to accentuate exhaust leaks, plugged the exhaust with a rag and hand for a few seconds and it died. started running like hell after that. (did i blow something up with my exhaust plug move?).

Could the CAT be my culprit?
Maybe a bad AFM?
kinda running out of ideas.

Fuel pressure regulator? An uncommon problem but one worth looking at..
bosstyn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2015 8:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Do I need a new AFM? Reply with quote

The fuel pressure regulator is on my list.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 1 of 6

Jump to: