Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Headlight wiring loom routing
Forum Index -> Ghia Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Era Vulgaris
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2020 9:16 am    Post subject: Headlight wiring loom routing Reply with quote

Does anyone know exactly when the change in the routing for the headlight wiring occured, from going through a slit further back in the inner wheelhouse, to going to the round grommet further up under the slam panel? Was it late 65, beginning 66, or late 66?

And also did the length of the wiring loom change along with it?

early (pic is from a 64):
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

late (pic is from a 66):
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Previously owned:
98 Porsche Boxster, silver, 2.5L -- 67 Karmann Ghia, Black, 1500sp -- 98 BMW Z3, Atlanta Blue Metallic, 2.8L I6 -- 75 Porsche 914, Laguna Blue, 2270cc -- 72 Porsche 914, Signal Orange, 1.7 FI -- 74 Karmann Ghia, Black, 1600dp -- 74 Triumph TR6 with O.D., sapphire blue
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
sputnick60
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2020 6:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Headlight wiring loom routing Reply with quote

Era Vulgaris wrote:
And also did the length of the wiring loom change along with?

Yes, The length is different with the later version needing to be slightly longer. I know because a local Australian loom supplier sent what he called an Australian RHD delivery loom that was too short for my ‘66. Most Ghias in Australia are from MY 1960 to 1962 which is the market for that supplier and why it’s wrong for a ‘66. I created some diagrams with the lengths marked out... when I find them again I’ll put them up for you.

Nicholas
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
Era Vulgaris
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2020 5:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Headlight wiring loom routing Reply with quote

Ok, so it sounds like from what you're saying that it probably started with the beginning of the 66 MY. I was more curious if any 66 cars had the older routing, as the virgin front clip I got to replace the banged up nose and inner wheelhouse panels on my 66 is from a 64. If there were any 66's with the older routing I was going to leave it, as it could potentially be correct for 66. But if not, no problem. I'll just have to modify those inner wheelhouse panels.

Previously owned:
98 Porsche Boxster, silver, 2.5L -- 67 Karmann Ghia, Black, 1500sp -- 98 BMW Z3, Atlanta Blue Metallic, 2.8L I6 -- 75 Porsche 914, Laguna Blue, 2270cc -- 72 Porsche 914, Signal Orange, 1.7 FI -- 74 Karmann Ghia, Black, 1600dp -- 74 Triumph TR6 with O.D., sapphire blue
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Ghia All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: