Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Skate wheel roller pedal. Anyone try one?
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Disaster06
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2017 9:52 pm    Post subject: Skate wheel roller pedal. Anyone try one? Reply with quote

I have been looking at replacing my cheap empi roller pedal from the PO with a retro roller skate wheel pedal from shortys customs. Has anyone tried one of these?

They look awesome. I haven't pulled off the pedal assembly, but it seems fairly easy
runamoc Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2017 7:32 am    Post subject: Re: Skate wheel roller pedal. Anyone try one? Reply with quote

I've used them for years. Mostly because the part of the foot pedal assembly that 'holds' the stock gas pedal set-up has corroded away. The cost analyst for buying a new foot pedal assembly for just getting a stock gas pedal wasn't worth it, imo. Cool
VW Wiring = It's just wires
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
hitest
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2017 10:16 am    Post subject: Re: Skate wheel roller pedal. Anyone try one? Reply with quote

I used one replaced with a skate wheel in the 80s long before Shorty's. As long as you maintain your cable health and the linkage on your carb they are nice and smooth. To me the smaller wheel and good bearing(s) transfers any nuances more directly through your foot (smaller contact patch). You can feel everything your engine's doing good and bad.

I wonder what the nut looks like.

'62 L390 151, '62 L469 117, '63 L380 113, '64 L87 311, '65 L512 265, '65 L31 SO-42, '66 L360 251, '68 L30k 141, '71 L12 113, '74 ORG 181

FU#5
pwmcguire
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2017 7:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Skate wheel roller pedal. Anyone try one? Reply with quote

Yes, I have done it. You will probably need a longer shoulder bolt. You need a skateboard wheel at least as big as the original roller. You have to buy 4 and they are expensive, even on eBay. You will need skateboard bearings. You will need a spacer use a nut, drill it out and grind it down on the side.
Multi69s
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2017 8:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Skate wheel roller pedal. Anyone try one? Reply with quote

Since you are already used to a roller pedal, go for it. Personally, the only place I used them was on a sand rail. However if you like the feeling might as well upgrade it.
Gone but not forgotten 72 Baja Bug 2010
My builds
T4 into Squareback http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=458944&highlight=
Auto Trans Rebuild http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=516066&highlight=
AC in Squareback https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...highlight=
eashc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2017 10:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Skate wheel roller pedal. Anyone try one? Reply with quote

You live in surfcity. Just hit up a skate shop and ask for an old wheel. Or find a skatepark and ask around. I'm sure someone will give you the parts for free.
Disaster06
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2017 9:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Skate wheel roller pedal. Anyone try one? Reply with quote

Thanks guys, I ended up picking up one from Shortys. Looking forward to trying it out. It was about $40 shipped and longboard wheels can get up there in price quick so I figured why not.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: