Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

TDI oil level
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
ahistand
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2014 6:26 am    Post subject: TDI oil level Reply with quote

I'd like to know approximately what height the oil level comes up to on the dipstick for those of you who've installed a TDI at 50 deg. I realize the angle of the motor (depending on front trans mount used) will alter the reading on the dipstick....so if you could also indicate what trans mount you are using.

I raised the front of my trans up 1.5" from the stock WBX location, which means my engine does not sit as "tail low" as a stock Vanagon diesel engine would. So naturally my oil level will read lower. I guess my concern is how low is too low.

I haven't fabbed a proper dipstick yet, but using a welding rod, when inserted all the way down till it hits the bottom of the pan, the level is only coming up to about 1.25" up on the stick. That seems way too low to me. The very bottom of the oil pickup sits about 3/16" off the bottom of the pan, but you know the actual pickup screen is about 1/2" higher. Anyway, with the level that low, it seems like I could easily run into some starvation problems upon cornering.
BTW this is after filling with 4.2 quarts of oil, per Bentley manual.
Waldi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2014 7:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When not using a oil cooler, fill in 4,5l oil with empty oil filter (i fill the oil filter before mounting it) and mark the max.
With the JX oil level measurement like i do it on a 1Z, AHU, AAZ the max sighn is the min sighn.
?Waldo?
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2014 9:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've never used the stock TDI dipstick as I find it to be sometimes be a real pain to remove everything from the hatch area to check/add oil. Instead, I've always made an '83 style dipstick that curves up and to the rear in order to have access at the license plate door.
westyventures
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2014 9:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In Syncro configuration (pan slopes slightly to rear) it takes 5 liters w/filter. At about 1 liter low, you can swerve the van and watch the oil pressure drop slightly, indicating air. Wink
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ahistand
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2014 4:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So Karl and Andrew, since you both have the curved dipsticks, do they extend all the way down and touch the bottom of the pan? How far up the dipstick does the oil register?

Karl if your pan on the Syncro tilts towards the rear, and with 5 quarts has pickup issues in turns, or swerves, then my pan (which tilts slightly towards the front) should need at least 5 quarts to have a similar oil level as your Syncro.....if I'm thinking right.

Well maybe the level on the dipstick wont change much depending on the slope of the pan.....I think the dipstick is nearly in the center (longitudinally) of the case. I'll go check mine.
?Waldo?
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2014 4:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The dipstick is very close to the center of the pan as long as it isn't the '82 version in the filler tube. The oil pickup tube is also close to the center of the pan. I've run a couple of the stock '83 style dipstick/dipstick tubes but I have not measured the distance from the bottom of the pan to the bottom of the dipstick. With the stock dipstick, I have found that the level had to be at the full mark or I would see weird oil pressure drops when the turbo would spool up. I've seen that same occurrence on a couple different engines in a couple different vans. I don't currently have a stock dipstick on hand to measure. All three of my current vans have custom dipsticks that I made from bass guitar strings so I can't really help with your current questions.
cawvin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2018 6:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

westyventures wrote:
In Syncro configuration (pan slopes slightly to rear) it takes 5 liters w/filter. At about 1 liter low, you can swerve the van and watch the oil pressure drop slightly, indicating air. Wink

Karl, how did you arrive at the 5 liters figure? I ask because it's different than the Bentley's back cover, 4.0 liters w/ filter for the diesel oil pan.
westyventures
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2018 11:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cawvin wrote:
westyventures wrote:

Karl, how did you arrive at the 5 liters figure? I ask because it's different than the Bentley's back cover, 4.0 liters w/ filter for the diesel oil pan.

Factory Syncro diesels are not covered in the Bentley manual. The pan tilts down toward the front in Syncro configuration. At a little over a liter low (from 5 liters) the oil pickup will suck air in hard turns.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
cawvin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2018 12:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

westyventures wrote:
cawvin wrote:
westyventures wrote:

Factory Syncro diesels are not covered in the Bentley manual. The pan tilts down toward the front in Syncro configuration. At a little over a liter low (from 5 liters) the oil pickup will suck air in hard turns.

That's a good point. I guess I didn't think the slight tilt of the Syncro configuration would necessitate that much more oil, but I have certainly experienced the oil buzzer in hard turns that you describe when the oil is a bit low. I guess I'm just wary of over filling it..
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: