Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Crankcase full of gas, carb question
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
windfish
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2014 4:26 pm    Post subject: Crankcase full of gas, carb question Reply with quote

'70 bug, '71 1600cc DP Engine, Carter electric fuel pump (pressure tested, right at 3psi at the engine).

It drove fine Monday and Tuesday, so I stopped and got her a full tank on my way home Tuesday. Wednesday morning (well, today) she goes thud when I turned the key, so I checked it and the crankcase was full of gas (again).

From what searching I've done this can be caused by a bad needle valve letting gas in.
Unfortunately I park on a hill, so unless I start backing in (which I can do) the tank is going to be higher than the carb inlet.

What I'm not clear on is that the float seemed to be at a good level when I popped the top off the carb -
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I kind of thought that if the needle valve was sticking the carb would be full to the top with gas?
Anything else I should replace?
Wolfgangdieter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2014 4:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

think you nailed it - hill and needle valve. Might add as lawn mower gas cut off valve - good anti-theft device too.
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2014 4:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Manually fill the float bowl and see if the tide goes out by itself.

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
jlex
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2014 5:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hope you change that oil out before you burn out your bearings due to the gas dilution of the oil.
Sounds like a severe problem....
Maybe an electric shutoff valve will solve your problem:
http://www.dan-marc.com/rv-parts-12-volt-fuel-shut-off-valves.html
windfish
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2014 6:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sure.
Gas and oil didn't even get to mix any, pulled the plug and got clean oil followed by a cascade of gas.

Took the needle valve from my old carb, ran some carb cleaner through it, and put it on. Clean oil, she started right up. I'll drive her over to the gas station (~2 miles), fill her up, and I'll know by morning if she's fixed.

Thanks guys.
johnnypan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2014 6:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Parking on a hill wont develop enough pressure to open your float valve..a bad float or a bad needle and seat is causing your issue,not where you park,or if the engine is running or not..
jlex
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2014 6:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Johnnypan's giving good advice on a potential float issue. As long as you're playing around, take the float out and put it in warm water. It'll cause the inside air to expand and will form bubbles if the float is bad.
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2014 6:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That bowl sure looks low, I wonder if the carb has a misdrilled/overdrilled passage that allows the bowl to drain down the throat, wouldn't be the first time a Chinese or Brazilian carb didn't quite meet the standards (if that is one).

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here

Слава Україні!
windfish
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2014 7:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heh, it's a rebuilt German Solex 34PICT-3, done early this year by Tim at volkzbitz.
Worst comes to worst I'll send it back, at this point I'm nearly positive it's something in the carb at fault. But I'd lose my bug for a few weeks and the weather is still halfway decent, so if I can fix it I'd rather start there.

Float seems to be fine; I took it out and held it up to the light, no sign of any liquid in 'er.

Just got back from the gas station, I'll have my answer by morning (assuming the needle valve from my old carb isn't screwed up as well).
If clean oil, fix'd. If full of gas again something is still amiss.

Edit - just a note, it started doing this after sitting for a month while I worked on other parts of the car. Prior to that she ran great.
HRVW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2014 7:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Question A tank will hold about 10 gals of gas and I would NEVER fill it unless driving a long distance on the fwy.

A good habit would to just buy gas at the 1/4 mark up to the 3/4 maybe 5-6 gals approx. (Today maybe a $20 bill) Too many gas stations with the same price on the pump to have a FULL tank...would have saved a little headache here.
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2014 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

windfish wrote:
Heh, it's a rebuilt German Solex 34PICT-3, done early this year by Tim at volkzbitz.

Ahhhhh...., OK, then lets discuss the health of your fuel pump?

Слава Україні!
kreemoweet
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2014 8:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's really a shame that none of you guys that think a carb float/needle valve can prevent the OP's problem was around to clue
in the VW engineers back in the day. Those poor saps seem to have had the notion that a fuel cutoff valve was necessary "... to
prevent the gradual flow of fuel to the carburetor when the engine is not running", and wasted a bunch of money putting them in these cars.

Juanito84
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2014 9:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is a problem I mentioned earlier in this thread.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=606078&highlight=
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2014 10:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kreemoweet wrote:
It's really a shame that none of you guys that think a carb float/needle valve can prevent the OP's problem was around to clue
in the VW engineers back in the day. Those poor saps seem to have had the notion that a fuel cutoff valve was necessary "... to
prevent the gradual flow of fuel to the carburetor when the engine is not running", and wasted a bunch of money putting them in these cars.

Don't think I didn't consider that handy device, but most are gone now because it was assumed to be another piece of evil power robbing smog equipment, earlier rebuildable fuel pumps included that valve in thier upper cover so they are somewhat immune.

Слава Україні!
windfish
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2014 8:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, that appears to be it.
Checked the oil this morning and it was the same level I left it at last night. Full tank of gas, nothing leaking into the crankcase. Joy.

Will keep a close eye on it for another week or so just to be sure, have to change the oil again soon anyways. Seems like it takes a good three changes to get most of the gas smell out, one drop infects the whole sump.

btw, the electric pump is pushing 3psi at the engine according to my mechanic's gauge. And that wasn't really the problem here, as it dumped two gallons into my crankcase overnight -- unless you think the electric pump pushing 3psi damaged the needle valve somehow.
But again, this only happened after the car sat for a month, so... /shrug.
Probably will go ahead and get a pressure reg to bring it down to 2psi anyways, this one looks decent.

I've never heard not to fill up the tank? Not topping it off (and thus filling the filler tube), sure, but till it clicks once should be fine? My entire fuel delivery system is new (tank, lines, hose, filler tube, pump, filter), the idea that VW would design a gas tank that couldn't tolerate being filled up seems a little odd to me.

The 34PICT-3 actually has an electric cutoff valve built in, but I was thinking that it was being bypassed by the misbehaving needle valve overfilling the carb... however, given the level in the float tank dropped down a bit, might be worth testing.

I'll keep an eye on her
Thanks guys.
Juanito84
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2014 2:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think 3psi damaged the needle valve. I wouldn't suspect the needle valve unless you start getting flooded while driving around. I just wouldn't trust the needle valve to keep gasoline from syphonning into the engine on a hill. VW didn't trust it either.
jlex
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2014 4:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Juanito84 wrote:
I don't think 3psi damaged the needle valve. I wouldn't suspect the needle valve unless you start getting flooded while driving around. I just wouldn't trust the needle valve to keep gasoline from syphonning into the engine on a hill. VW didn't trust it either.

You seem to have thought out the problem... so what do you think of installing one of these shut-off valves under the tank?

If this guy's running an electric fuel pump, I'm wondering why it wouldn't have shut off the gas when the car's off? Question
johnnypan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2014 5:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jlex wrote:
Juanito84 wrote:

You seem to have thought out the problem... so what do you think of installing one of these shut-off valves under the tank?

If this guy's running an electric fuel pump, I'm wondering why it wouldn't have shut off the gas when the car's off? Question

Well mainly due to the success had by millions of cars (not just Volkswagens) relying on the needle valve to stop fuel from filling the engine a needle valve actuated by a float can be a very powerful valve..just look at the orifice and the area of the float,that kind of leverage can hold back quite a bit of pressure.

Hell maybe old Volksblitz hacked his carb,maybe the needle stuck..
JasonBaker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2014 11:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you taken the float out and checked to see if it has gas inside?

Maybe I missed it, was it was ruled out? My bet is still on the float.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
lobsterlike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2014 12:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only way to know is to check. Test the needle and seat by blowing air through the fuel inlet while pushing gently on the needle part of the needle/seat. Remember that the needle and seat has a rubber (probably Viton) seal and any amount of ethanol will degrade it over time. Keep in mind that dirt in the fuel system or pieces of rubber from the inside of your hoses will get stuck in the needle and seat and prevent it from closing. I carry a spare needle and seat in the glovebox for this reason.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: