Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

What to 3d print?
Page: 1, 2, 3 ... 11, 12, 13  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
collinVW32
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2014 9:30 am    Post subject: What to 3d print? Reply with quote

If this is too off topic please let me know and I will move this topic. I am currently taking a Computer Aided Manufacturing class and we just got our 3d printer in like a week ago. I was wondering if you guys had any ideas for what to 3d print. I have a 71 passenger bus so I didn't know if there were any parts or anything that would be nice to have 3d printed. I am limited to a 6x6x6 inch cube so It can't be any bigger than that.

Thanks in advance for your ideas!!

The only peace sign I will ever have on my bus is one that is upside down.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
whatdoesthisbuttondo?
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2014 9:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool, that technology is progressing really fast; Ive seen some really neat stuff related to museum curation and archaeological replicas. Pretty convincing looking. What kind of materials can you do and how strong are they?
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2014 9:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

do you have a sunroof bus? If so consider the forth piece which is the center piece and is not in this photo. The pieces below can be bought as reproductions - the center piece cannot be.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

this is the piece that cannot be purchased.

Tcash
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2014 10:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A little info.
3D printing Ghia parts
1967250s
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2014 10:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A larger 3d printer could make that, and they're out there, SG, but he's limited to 6"x6". What you need/want is a mold for fiberglass repro IMO.
This technology is really neat, lots of stuff on youtube. Literally almost anything can be 3d printed in plastic after being scanned, and you can do it with your laptop with the right program, and can be scaled to different sizes. I'd like a mini T4 motor, please. Or maybe a miniature of my Bus!
WhirledTraveller
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2014 10:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not really that much plastic on a bus... which is a good thing.

6x6x6... hmmm.... most of the things I can think of have pretty good reproductions available (door handles, knobs, sunvisor clips etc.) or are available used.

There's always interesting custom shift knobs. And bus models, if someone offered a nicely detailed scale model Westy for a reasonable price I'd probably jump on it.

A bit of a thread drift, but a woman I know does very interesting 3-d printed small metal sculptures in complex mathematical shapes that can *only* be made with 3d printing. Very cool stuff. Google "bathsheba sculpture". Might give you some inspiration.
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2014 10:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

1967250s wrote:
A larger 3d printer could make that, and they're out there, SG, but he's limited to 6"x6". What you need/want is a mold for fiberglass repro IMO.
This technology is really neat, lots of stuff on youtube. Literally almost anything can be 3d printed in plastic after being scanned, and you can do it with your laptop with the right program, and can be scaled to different sizes. I'd like a mini T4 motor, please. Or maybe a miniature of my Bus!

I'll measure one tonight but I think that part is only about 6" long
collinVW32
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2014 10:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the ideas! I believe the plastic it uses is pretty strong but I haven't seen any yet. Unfortunately i do not have a sunroof bus.

Me and my dad were also thinking about a shift knob especially since mine is pretty broken.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
airschooled
Air-Schooled

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2014 11:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm always loosing things like dashboard screw caps that go next to the window seal. Those would be easy enough and usefull.

I'll post a link later to download my 3d model shift knobs I've made.

Robbie
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
collinVW32
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2014 11:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds good! I might start looking into getting some stuff 3d printed and maybe even sell some stuff on here to you guys. My instructor is a big car guy and is pretty cool. He may be down for doing some stuff like that as a fund raiser.

Just a thought, we will have to see how stuff comes out first.

raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2014 11:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

3D printing, is part of my industry. It is awesome...and moving along fast.....but far too many dont really understand what it is capable of and is not capable (at this point in time).

In plastic parts.....it matters what plastic it needs to be made of. Many molded parts are thermoplastics. They were molded by melting granular plastic and compression in a mold. The 3D printer is going to use a resin of specific plastics ....some use some heating. ...but in general the 3D printer systems do not yet make some of the higher strength molded plastics in resins that are of the same strength and porosity. These problems can make parts that tend to distort when they change temperature and are brittle.

That being said.....and this goes to the original poster.....some of the newer 3D printers havd programming that allow interlacing of the layers so that resin parts have a grain structure that is effectively a laminate which produces a strength and rigidity similar to multi axis oriented films. They can actually be stronger than a molded part of similar plastic.

But it takes planning, testing and practice to make sure a, part made this way expands and contracts correctly or has a useful surface texture....can be polished etc.

I am very positive about 3D printing.....but it is not as simple or as capable as the media hype will have you believe. You are not going to just design a plastic part....any part and whip it out on the laptop and have it quickly functional. Ray
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
williamM
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2014 11:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would print those visor mounts and anchor- especially the split type as they are mostly junk now.

Sign me up for 4.

opinion untempered by fact is ignorance.

Don't step in any!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Tom Powell
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2014 11:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

guide bushing for parking brake handle
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=550469
Aloha
tp
rustbus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2014 12:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd buy a dozen of these off you:

https://www.google.ca/search?q=sliding+window+glid...600%3B1200
Skyline
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2014 12:19 pm    Post subject: Re: What to 3d print? Reply with quote

collinVW32 wrote:
If this is too off topic please let me know and I will move this topic. I am currently taking a Computer Aided Manufacturing class and we just got our 3d printer in like a week ago. I was wondering if you guys had any ideas for what to 3d print. I have a 71 passenger bus so I didn't know if there were any parts or anything that would be nice to have 3d printed. I am limited to a 6x6x6 inch cube so It can't be any bigger than that.

Thanks in advance for your ideas!!

I second the 3d printed bus models. Get some photo software that makes 3d models from photos, photograph your bus, then print it.

Good luck with your projecft!
RocketSurgeon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2014 3:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know it's available in reproduction overseas but how about the accelerator pedal stop?
airschooled
Air-Schooled

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2014 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RocketSurgeon wrote:
I know it's available in reproduction overseas but how about the accelerator pedal stop?

YES.

Although I didn't think it was available as a reproduction. That's a perfect part to 3DP because it doesn't see a lot of strain, and isn't very visible for printing imperfections to matter. However, it's still an important part to not over-stress the carb throttle linkage.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
RocketSurgeon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2014 4:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't Forget it helps keep that front floormat from sliding around. I wanted one ever since I found out what those two holes were for.
justcruzin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2014 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What about Westy inside door handles? Not sure if they are reproduced or not.

1964 Split Window Bus
1966 Beetle Build Thread= http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=472933
1969 Delivery Van= http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=566282
1970 Westy Build Thread= http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=479538
1971 Squareback Build Thread = http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6652459#6652459
1970 Single Cab, Samson = http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=8022609#8022609
WD-40
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2014 6:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

raygreenwood wrote:
3D printing, is part of my industry. It is awesome...and moving along fast.....but far too many dont really understand what it is capable of and is not capable (at this point in time).

x2.

I've seen far to many cases of 3D printed plastic models drooping under their own weight when left in hot cars to trust it for any actual permanent automotive replacement parts. Shocked

Not all plastics are equal, not all 3D printers are equal, and not all 3D printers print in plastic. Wink

collinVW32, make sure you do your research and know what you're getting into before you start selling stuff. For your sake, and for everyone elses. Wink
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3 ... 11, 12, 13  Next
Jump to:
Page 1 of 13

Jump to: