Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

What to 3d print?
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 7, 8, 9 ... 11, 12, 13  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
vwwestyman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 05, 2017 6:14 pm    Post subject: Re: What to 3d print? Reply with quote

alman72 wrote:
you could prob never find one for reference, but the male end for the diagnostic plug. You would have to use the female to get a usable mold (on a side note, I am calling the part with the pins and spades sticking out as the male end, even tho the plug in the bus does the sliding in action)I have read some interest in folks using the plug as an elect start, trailer light access point, and some other apps.

For what it's worth, I've used my diagnostic plug on my '73 for trailer lights. I used one of those powered light converters (so it isn't pulling the power for the trailer lights through the Bus' electrical system).

I just attached narrow spades to the converter and plugged them into the proper holes on the plug. Those were identified with a multimeter.

President, Wild Westerner Club

1978 Champagne Edition Westy, repowered to '97 Jetta TDI
1973 Wild Westerner
My Thing
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
1977_L63H_P27
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 05, 2017 7:17 pm    Post subject: Re: What to 3d print? Reply with quote

The small hooks that hold the turn signal cancelling spring would be a great reproduction part to make. Of course, I've always thought they should be milled out of aluminum or bronze Wink

1977 Westfalia P27 Green Bay Bus
you can't spell Volkswagen without SWAG
M-code Plate
Full Moon Bus Club
CrumbDog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2018 11:20 pm    Post subject: Re: What to 3d print? Reply with quote

Hey guys,

First time posting here on the Samba but I have used this forum a fair bit over the last ten years (saved me countless hours scratching my head on many an occasion) whilst restoring my bus and a friends type 3.

I'm a mechanical engineer over here in Australia and saw this thread and I thought I would share some of the 3d print's I have included in my bus (there's plenty more on the way too) I will share the STL files on thingiverse or similar if people think any may be useful to them.

I have been considering setting up a bit of a website and getting a collection of 3d printable parts going (not sure if its already a thing but I couldn't find anything on the googleywebs) I was planning on having the STLs available for free for anyone who has a printer but also offering a postal print service using a few of my machines. I haven't had time to read through the whole thread so apologies if this sort of thing has already been discussed.

I will be setting off on a year long trip in my bus in May and modelling parts / building websites is the perfect thing to crunch through when I get bored. any suggestions fire them over.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

static
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2018 6:44 am    Post subject: Re: What to 3d print? Reply with quote

Thanks for taking the time to do those!

You might want to offer those parts here in The Samba Classifieds or over on Etsy. The gauge holder and the last one of the air duct (I'm guessing) would be popular.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Spike0180
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2018 7:42 am    Post subject: Re: What to 3d print? Reply with quote

static wrote:
Thanks for taking the time to do those!

You might want to offer those parts here in The Samba Classifieds or over on Etsy. The gauge holder and the last one of the air duct (I'm guessing) would be popular.

Agreed, I think the gauge cluster one would be very popular. I already altered mine for my gauge, so I don't need it but I would have loved to be able to purchase one instead of cutting through mine. Rolling Eyes
Other cars: 2003 F150, 2003 Jetta GLI vr6-6sp

Sambastic: adj; the quality of being nit picky, elitist, expecting everyone to do things the way they believe is best with no regard to situation, "sambastic"
Heathintexas
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2018 12:28 pm    Post subject: Re: What to 3d print? Reply with quote

Looks awesome CrumbDog! You should definitely get them on Thingiverse.

Got a few designs as well to exchange Wink :
https://www.thingiverse.com/heathly/designs
LazyLightning75
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2018 2:57 pm    Post subject: Re: What to 3d print? Reply with quote

My 15 year old son designed these “preheat hole covers” in his high school autocad class and printed them for my 1975 bus. The preheat system was removed by a PO and blocked off with a hose that was constantly in the way. I was thrilled to replace it with these babies!

Hoody
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2018 9:21 pm    Post subject: Re: What to 3d print? Reply with quote

Someone should print the alternator sealing rings for the Late type 4 engine. They are long obsolete and no one else has reproduced them.
KentABQ Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2018 5:16 pm    Post subject: Re: What to 3d print? Reply with quote

Hoody wrote:
Someone should print the alternator sealing rings for the Late type 4 engine. They are long obsolete and no one else has reproduced them.

Good idea. Idea

"I must say, how can you be in a bad mood driving this vehicle full of vibrant color.
Cars of today are so bland in comparison. It's like driving a celebration!"
---WildIdea

Bus ownership via emoticons:
Very Happy Shocked Mad Sad Embarassed d'oh! Pray Brick wall Pray Dancing Dancing Dancing ---williamM
ivwshane
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2018 6:03 pm    Post subject: Re: What to 3d print? Reply with quote

Hoody wrote:

Hell yeah!!

Let me know when you make them, I'll buy one!
Mal evolent
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2018 12:55 pm    Post subject: Re: What to 3d print? Reply with quote

an ash tray insert that locks into place and has a front panel about 3 mm thick. strong enough to mount things on, thin enough to mount a gauge in

Baja Bugs for Volkswagen Virgins: Index
ivwshane
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2018 6:01 pm    Post subject: Re: What to 3d print? Reply with quote

I don't know if you can buy these new already but another thing to 3D print would be tail light wire covers.

ivwshane
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2018 10:39 am    Post subject: Re: What to 3d print? Reply with quote

I'm requesting a 3D print of the single spark plug wire holder/clip that goes on each cylinder tin.

I'd post a picture but I've never seen one!

Also worthy of being printed is the flywheel inspection hole cover, 201 101 109

I might need to get a printer!
airkooledchris
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2018 1:12 pm    Post subject: Re: What to 3d print? Reply with quote

ivwshane wrote:
I'm requesting a 3D print of the single spark plug wire holder/clip that goes on each cylinder tin.

I'd post a picture but I've never seen one!

Also worthy of being printed is the flywheel inspection hole cover, 201 101 109

If you do, make them just a few mm wider around than OG so they don't pop out so easily. Either the hole has widened a hair over the years or every cover ive found was already well past it's usability as they never seem to stay put.
Hikelite
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2018 11:57 am    Post subject: Re: What to 3d print? Reply with quote

ivwshane wrote:

Looking at that part, it's shape offers some challenges for 3D printing. Ideally, there would be some sort of base, but this part either has 3 legs, or would have to 'sit' on the knob side. You could probably use some dis-solvable filament to hold up the 'table'.

I'm not an expert, but I have an engineer friend that lived with us for awhile, and he had a 3D printer. I learned a lot while he was our room mate, but I've known him 20 years, so we talk about this stuff all the time.

3D printing is very cool. If you are really interested in learning about it, you should. They can be had for less than $500.

In my opinion, your time might be better spent working through the learning curve of some modeling software. Then you can create the files needed for the part you need, and let a service like Shapeways handle the printing part.

My engineer buddy/roommate would order some things from them because they use much better equipment which produces a higher quality end product. Basically, he would print early designs at home, but if something was going to a client, he ordered it from Shapeways.

airkooledchris wrote:
If you do, make them just a few mm wider around than OG so they don't pop out so easily. Either the hole has widened a hair over the years or every cover ive found was already well past it's usability as they never seem to stay put.

How easy it is to make changes depends on how it's modeled.

The answer is yes, but with what amount of effort?

If you use a scanner, the resulting model is often difficult/impossible to make changes easily. That being said, that particular part looks simple enough that someone skilled in CAD could probably create it in a few hours.

Unfortunately, that person isn't me Razz
I've used Solidworks a few times, but that part would probably take me a few days and I'd do it 'wrong'. I have a friend who makes his living using Solidworks. He's the type of person that could knock it out in a few hours. Wink

My 1968 Campmobile
orwell84
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2018 8:28 pm    Post subject: Re: What to 3d print? Reply with quote

KentPS wrote:
Hoody wrote:

Good idea. Idea

Yes! I was looking at the remnants of one of mine and thinking about how to make one...
Clatter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2018 8:18 pm    Post subject: Re: What to 3d print? Reply with quote

One more call for alternator rings!!
I tried to search everywhere- new and used.
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=305931

If I can get one of these NOS rings,
I’ll send it to someone for scanning and/or printing..

Here’s something that people are going to need.
It’s out of direct sunlight, has no texture, isn’t easy to spot and doesn’t have to be soft/flexible.

It will, however need to be heat resistant to a certain extent..
Not a whole lot, as it’s away from the main motor heat,
And gets a lot of cooling airflow, but still..

Who’s stepping up?
You could sell these!

What’s That Noise?!?
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2018 8:39 pm    Post subject: Re: What to 3d print? Reply with quote

these have a little flexibility to them - like poly on a gallon oil jug or antifreeze jug but thicker. The part that sits on the bolt is offset and heavier.
ivwshane
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2018 9:12 pm    Post subject: Re: What to 3d print? Reply with quote

I made one out of a silicone mat that had a little stiffness to it. I'm not sure how its going to hold up though.
Xevin Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2018 10:16 pm    Post subject: Re: What to 3d print? Reply with quote

ivwshane wrote:
I made one out of a silicone mat that had a little stiffness to it. I'm not sure how its going to hold up though.

Probably hold up 10X better then if EMPI made it Wink

Clatter wrote:
Damn that Xevin... Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

skills@eurocarsplus wrote:
I respect Xevin and he's a turd Razz

SGKent wrote:
My God! Xevin and I 100% agree Shocked
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 7, 8, 9 ... 11, 12, 13  Next
Jump to:
Page 8 of 13

Jump to: