Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

What to 3d print?
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
CanStan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2019 12:24 pm    Post subject: Re: What to 3d print? Reply with quote

I’d love to see the catch for the folding Westy table reproduced. Unless it’s already available somewhere and I just haven’t seen it. I’d say 9/10 I see are cracked and broken. I’m not sure if the flex it needs to have would be an issue?

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
airschooled
Air-Schooled

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2019 12:41 am    Post subject: Re: What to 3d print? Reply with quote

Hey dudes,

I would like to work with someone who has design and 3d printing abilities to make a torsion leaf assembly jig.

See the outline of the torsion leaf assembly here?

I think a small donut with the internal cutout of that leaf profile would be Most Excellent when installing torsion leaves into the front beam. I was messing around with zip ties and torsion arms today trying to get new leaves into my old beam, and a jig with that outline would have saved me a few hours of work.

Willing to pay…
Robbie
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
TomWesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2019 12:53 am    Post subject: Re: What to 3d print? Reply with quote

asiab3 wrote:
Hey dudes,

I would like to work with someone who has design and 3d printing abilities to make a torsion leaf assembly jig.

I think a small donut with the internal cutout of that leaf profile would be Most Excellent when installing torsion leaves into the front beam. I was messing around with zip ties and torsion arms today trying to get new leaves into my old beam, and a jig with that outline would have saved me a few hours of work.

Willing to pay…
Robbie
Seems maybe you could fab such a thing from sheet Lexan as a one off pretty easy. Ray is our materials scientist, he would know if it would stand up to the grease.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Classifieds Feedback
airschooled
Air-Schooled

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2019 1:07 am    Post subject: Re: What to 3d print? Reply with quote

TomWesty wrote:
Seems maybe you could fab such a thing from sheet Lexan as a one off pretty easy. Ray is our materials scientist, he would know if it would stand up to the grease.

It doesn't matter if it stands up to the grease. Once the leaves are installed, they're secured to the beam and secured in the torsion arms. No amount of soft plastic will affect the suspension one way or the other. I want this part 3d printed because I know most of the raw materials that go into cheap printing will flex enough to be ignored once they're trapped in the torsion tubes.

I have six zip ties in my beam as we speak… Cool The picture below is one of nineteen failed installation attempts due to misalignment…

Robbie

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
TomWesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2019 1:23 am    Post subject: Re: What to 3d print? Reply with quote

asiab3 wrote:
TomWesty wrote:

It doesn't matter if it stands up to the grease. Once the leaves are installed, they're secured to the beam and secured in the torsion arms. No amount of soft plastic will affect the suspension one way or the other. I want this part 3d printed because I know most of the raw materials that go into cheap printing will flex enough to be ignored once they're trapped in the torsion tubes.

I have six zip ties in my beam as we speak… Cool The picture below is one of nineteen failed installation attempts due to misalignment…

Robbie

Gotcha. I was thinking it would be removed, not trapped. Makes sense. Cheap, but not too cheap is the aim I guess. Great idea. I still think you could fab them from sheet lexan with a scroll saw pretty quickly. Or mold them from polyethylene maybe.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Classifieds Feedback
captincanuck
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2019 9:30 am    Post subject: Re: What to 3d print? Reply with quote

Seems simple enough. I'm taking a 3D printing CE class and need a project. Got some measurements of what you want?

asiab3 wrote:
Hey dudes,

Willing to pay…
Robbie

outcaststudios
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2019 10:08 am    Post subject: Re: What to 3d print? Reply with quote

the part need to be modeled first in a 3d software thats the more difficult part, i 3d print professionally. i wonder if this woudnt be better off as a cast metal part though? it could be made in aluminum easily, but again the part woudl need to have tooling made to produce it.
(rip)three type III"s
(rip) '81 vanagon
a bunch of french stuff,and 9 motorcycles.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2573791
Hoody
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2019 10:43 am    Post subject: Re: What to 3d print? Reply with quote

Correct me if I am wrong but would it not be easier and more precise to have that part C&Ced?
Spike0180
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2019 11:48 am    Post subject: Re: What to 3d print? Reply with quote

You guys are missing it. He wants something that is cheap and can be left on the springs after assembly. The springs would need to be able to move freely once installed and under the stress of the vehicle, so no aluminum allowed, sorry. This also means that the jig doesn't have to be super precise either, if the material is a little flexible that's almost ideal, make it a little tight to hold the springs well during install then the springs can rip through it under compression later. Their soul purpose is to hold the springs together during install. Id think a 1" thick 3d printed cube with that cutout could work ideal. One on each end of the spring pack. It's just making sure the elasticity of the block is correct. It should have a little movement (maybe a mil to allow for a tight fit) then shear after that in order to make sure the spring rate is not effected once the front suspension has returned to service.
Other cars: 2003 F150, 2003 Jetta GLI vr6-6sp

Sambastic: adj; the quality of being nit picky, elitist, expecting everyone to do things the way they believe is best with no regard to situation, "sambastic"
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
airschooled
Air-Schooled

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2019 1:06 pm    Post subject: Re: What to 3d print? Reply with quote

Spike0180 wrote:
You guys are missing it. He wants something that is cheap and can be left on the springs after assembly. The springs would need to be able to move freely once installed and under the stress of the vehicle, so no aluminum allowed, sorry. This also means that the jig doesn't have to be super precise either, if the material is a little flexible that's almost ideal, make it a little tight to hold the springs well during install then the springs can rip through it under compression later. Their soul purpose is to hold the springs together during install. Id think a 1" thick 3d printed cube with that cutout could work ideal. One on each end of the spring pack. It's just making sure the elasticity of the block is correct. It should have a little movement (maybe a mil to allow for a tight fit) then shear after that in order to make sure the spring rate is not effected once the front suspension has returned to service.

Exactly! I would like it to be flexible enough to not impact the leaf springs in any way. Plus, they have to be expendable. Two or four would be needed for every leaf pack installation, depending on the condition of the existing leaves. They would also have to be small enough to slip through the bronze/plastic bushing assemblies that sit about 6" inside the beam tubes. A hefty zip tie is BARELY small enough to fit by, when zipped around the leaves.

So I think the 3d-printed tool would be perfect, and I'll try my hands on creating a model some time this week.

Robbie
outcaststudios
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2019 8:37 pm    Post subject: Re: What to 3d print? Reply with quote

ahh i totally missed that , yeah definitely no aluminum for sure! these can be printed with a thin shell to so they disintegrate after install, hmm cool idea!!
(rip)three type III"s
(rip) '81 vanagon

advCo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2019 12:34 pm    Post subject: Re: What to 3d print? Reply with quote

asiab3 wrote:

Exactly! I would like it to be flexible enough to not impact the leaf springs in any way. Plus, they have to be expendable. Two or four would be needed for every leaf pack installation, depending on the condition of the existing leaves. They would also have to be small enough to slip through the bronze/plastic bushing assemblies that sit about 6" inside the beam tubes. A hefty zip tie is BARELY small enough to fit by, when zipped around the leaves.

So I think the 3d-printed tool would be perfect, and I'll try my hands on creating a model some time this week.

Robbie

Looks like it would take about 15 minutes to model with the dimensions. I'd be interested in helping out as I can see this being something I may need while rebuilding my beam. Depending on the thickness they could be printed relatively quickly.

I wanted to note for future reference, that I use a company called Shapeways
https://www.shapeways.com/ to outsource some 3D printing that my machine is too small for.

The cool thing about them, you can upload your model and choose your material. They can print in steel, aluminum, plated metals, plastic, sandstone, etc. which really opens the door to using 3D printing for automotive applications.
A bunch of vintage Japanese motorcycles
"Much ingenuity with a little money is vastly more profitable and amusing than much money without ingenuity." -A. Bennett
andrewtf
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2019 5:54 pm    Post subject: Re: What to 3d print? Reply with quote

Pm sent to Asia3b.... and

If someone sends (or posts) the dimensions, I can model and 3D print this pretty easily. We could pop out a dozen or more so someone who wants one could get one (or four).

(I work in an architecture office)
outcaststudios
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2019 11:41 am    Post subject: Re: What to 3d print? Reply with quote

are these done yet?
(rip)three type III"s
(rip) '81 vanagon

SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2019 1:21 pm    Post subject: Re: What to 3d print? Reply with quote

it is a lot easier to put the torsion arm back on if both front wheels are off the ground. I've never had a problem sliding the arm back on that way.
SamboSamba22
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2019 1:15 pm    Post subject: Re: What to 3d print? Reply with quote

Anyone printing a proper door and interior panel clip yet?!

Oct. ’67 Double Cab (’68 Crew Cab)
[url=http://www.vw-mplate.com/mplate-44412.png]Click to view image[/URL]
March '69 Delivery (Panel Bus)
[url=http://www.vw-mplate.com/mplate-44414.png]Click to view image[/URL]
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
outcaststudios
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2019 2:06 pm    Post subject: Re: What to 3d print? Reply with quote

ooh! can you post the specifications for that? like a part image with dimensions?
(rip)three type III"s
(rip) '81 vanagon

outcaststudios
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2019 3:06 pm    Post subject: Re: What to 3d print? Reply with quote

or can you send me one good clip to copy?
(rip)three type III"s
(rip) '81 vanagon

SamboSamba22
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2019 3:41 pm    Post subject: Re: What to 3d print? Reply with quote

outcaststudios wrote:
or can you send me one good clip to copy?

Got your message. I can mail you one.

Oct. ’67 Double Cab (’68 Crew Cab)
[url=http://www.vw-mplate.com/mplate-44412.png]Click to view image[/URL]
March '69 Delivery (Panel Bus)
[url=http://www.vw-mplate.com/mplate-44414.png]Click to view image[/URL]
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Hoody
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2019 9:34 pm    Post subject: Re: What to 3d print? Reply with quote

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13  Next
Jump to:
Page 9 of 13

Jump to: