Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

2002 Eurovan Steering wheel removal, dimmer switch DIY
Forum Index -> Eurovan Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Abscate Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2014 6:28 am    Post subject: 2002 Eurovan Steering wheel removal, dimmer switch DIY Reply with quote

OK - Im stuck trying to do my dimmer switch replacement

Alldata gives me the following picture, which makes it look the airbag just pops off, but I can't budge it.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Im using enough force where any more will start to cut the plastic (using wood and plastic spudgers)

Anyone have ideas??

Once the wheel is off, this looks like a relatively easy job.
[/img]

Shout out to dhaavers for giving me the air bag release tip 20 minutes after plea for help...SAMBA!!!

Last edited by Abscate on Sun Oct 12, 2014 5:04 am; edited 2 times in total
dhaavers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2014 7:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://www.google.com/?gws_rd=ssl#q=how+to+remove+eurovan+steering+wheel

<EDITED TO PROTECT INNOCENT PIXELS>
Abscate Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2014 7:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks dhaavers...the clips had a lot of pre-airbag stuff but I found this gem on releasing the airbag clips - something Alldata gave no information on..

Apparently there are two clips in recesses forward of the airbag which need to be released. Ill document with some pix here.

The clip pushes towards the column, they are very tight. Imagine the steering wheel at 90 degrees, insert the screwdriver above the clip and force the handle upward to push the clip down, then rotate the steering wheel 180 trying not to re engage the clip you've just undone and repeat.

Update - found clips, released wheel.. thumbs up!!
dhaavers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2014 8:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rock on...

<EDITED TO PROTECT INNOCENT PIXELS>
Abscate Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2014 4:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Got the whole thing done in about one hour, thanks to your help getting started. Pictures to come in this thread.
Abscate Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2014 5:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And here we go...

Tools required
10 mm wrench for battery disconnect
slotted screwdriver
Phillips screwdriver for plastic trim around steering wheel
Torx 30 for horn mount bolts
24mm hex for steering wheel nut

Disconnect negative battery terminal first, as in all electrical work.

Remove three screws in bottom of steering wheel plastic over and separate top/bottom pieces

The top secret step you don't find online..
The airbag is released with two clips, deeply recessed in the front of the steering wheel. Turn wheel to 90 degree position, insert screwdriver, push handle DOWN to release

Now the airbag will pop slightly off..turn wheel 90 degree the other way, and repeat..

and off it comes. Pop the yellow air bag connector off and carefully rest the airbag somewhere safe, remembering it is a bomb.

Loosen remove three Torx 30 screws, disconnect horn plug and remove the horn cradle

24 mm hex removes steering wheel nut, mark and remove steering wheel

The slider on the steering wheel comes off next..it snaps onto the assembly with three hooks - no tools required, but be gentle with those pieces.

Now three slotted screws hold the dimmer switch onto the steering column - they are all the same

Electrical disconnects - push the cruise connector forward to unhook it from the steering column, then pull out to separate the connector. The connectors usually have one release tab and one static hook to separate.

Other than the cruise control, the dimmer switch connectors are hard mounted to the switch so you can't get them wrong!

Reassembly is reverse off above. Make sure you dress the cruise control wire inside the plastic trim cover, it likes to sneak out and cause trouble.
ronsmithis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2014 11:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Abscate,
Thanks for the great writeup & pics. I'm sure that I'll find that helpful in the future.
Cheers, Ron
luVWagn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2014 12:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can you put the wheel AND stalks (turn signal, cruise, lights), all into a vanagon?!
I know you can do the dash cluster now...
Abscate Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2014 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think that would be a major mod...the connectors on the EV are hard fastened to the steering column and I doubt the Vanagon has these in place.
swsl
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2020 10:25 am    Post subject: Re: 2002 Eurovan Steering wheel removal, dimmer switch DIY Reply with quote

I know this is super old, but I followed it last summer when doing my steering wheel and ran into some serious problems with the "slider" that you pull off after the steering wheel.

So I want to add this info in case it helps save somebody else this trouble.

As many know, this "slider" mentioned in the DIY is a special combination "Clock Spring + Steering Position Sensor". It's critical to the ABS system, sensitive to correct installation and was once expensive ($400) to replace but now it's NLA.

It is THE other very important thing you will touch on the steering wheel besides the airbag.

In my case, I was ignorant and did not pay attention to it's rotation when I took it off and then re-installed it with the sensor rotated off-center.

I went to test drive the vehicle afterward and all was well, but while parking, I hit the turning limit of the steering something snapped and an alarm went off, the ABS and other lights came on and I was screwed. Horn also failed.

Turns out that I had installed the sensor off-center and it had over-run the limit in one directions and caused failure of the "clock-spring" inside.

Took it apart but could not find the damage to repair. But a junkyard replacement ($200) did fix the issue.

So, suggestion is two approaches:

Center the steering wheel before pulling the sensor.
Tape sensor so that it won't rotate and/or place an alignment mark
Reinstall as removed.

And/Or
check that it is centered before installing by gently turning to far left (don't force) then far right, counting, then center it between those numbers. Watch the little window at the top of the sensor, it will show a yellow flag that comes and goes as the sensor centers.

Sensor may need to be recalibrated after install. Mine did. VCDS will do this. See Bentley, VCDS wiki and there is a good video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tFsqC6U2Ync
ocelotpotpie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2020 11:50 am    Post subject: Re: 2002 Eurovan Steering wheel removal, dimmer switch DIY Reply with quote

Great addition to this thread, swsl.

The clockspring is definitely a tricky thing. Making sure it's centered and taping it is smart.

If you DON'T do that, you can carefully rotate it by hand with the wheel off and count the turns.

IIRC it's something like 5 turns lock to lock. Rotate all the way left or right - CAREFULLY - and then count how many turns the other way. Divide by half and then orient to the center.
steve2sloth
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2020 12:27 pm    Post subject: Re: 2002 Eurovan Steering wheel removal, dimmer switch DIY Reply with quote

While we're on the subject of EVC steering wheels, I very much want to modify my steering wheel to move it a couple of inches out, closer to the driver and further from the dash. I'm tall enough that when my foot is on the brake my knee is rubbing against the wheel and it's not comfortable. I cannot find any mention of spacers or adapters that might work... has anyone heard of one?

Alternatively, a smaller steering wheel could do the trick if there's one that could fit. Can't move the drivers seat further back or down either because it's an '02 EVC. Any thoughts?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
VanGeek
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2024 6:46 am    Post subject: Re: 2002 Eurovan Steering wheel removal, dimmer switch DIY Reply with quote

I just wasn't "getting it" from the photos and other videos about how to insert the screwdriver and release the airbag + horn clips. After I figured it out, I made a video for others who might also struggle with this to provide further clarification.

Link
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Eurovan All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: