Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

where to connect blue seas arc to batteries under bench seat
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
yycwesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2014 12:17 pm    Post subject: where to connect blue seas arc to batteries under bench seat Reply with quote

I'm positive I have asked this question but for the life of me can't find it.

have 2 t106 batteries under the bench seat. Have an car (and a 100amp fuse) ready to hook to them. Have already grounded the ACR and now need to run positive wire to I believe the starter (correct me if I'm wrong). So does anyone have a picture of where I connect the positive to on the starter or is it blatantly obvious
Thanks in advance
Cheers
Al

Last edited by yycwesty on Tue Oct 14, 2014 5:10 pm; edited 1 time in total
geo_tonz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2014 12:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A borrowed pic with bad corrosion (check things out when under there and clean/lube/replace connections.

You are connecting The (+) to to the post under the big rubber boot, then to your isolator, then to your battery. Ground battery to chassis. Also ground your ACR.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Ahwahnee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2014 12:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is there any reason why you should not make that connection at the alternator? I ask because that is what I did and it seems to work fine.

FWIW - I put the Blue Sea box in the space behind the right tail light.
yycwesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2014 12:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the only reason I didn't consider the alternator is that the wire would have to be a lot longer to get to the alternator vs the starter. Other than that I can't think of any other reason.. Have the 2,5 subie so not sure if that makes any difference either

Cheers
Al
ThankYouJerry
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2014 10:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

From Jay Brown's website: https://sites.google.com/site/vanagonheadlightrelays/helpful-information/automatic-charging-relay
thatvwbusguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2014 5:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For efficient charging of the auxiliary battery, the gauge of the cable from the alternator to the starter stud should be at least as thick as the cable that will be charging your auxiliary battery. Anything less creates a bottleneck right at the source (alternator) that will slow your auxiliary battery recharging time.

The alternator and the starter both use a 5/16" ring terminals, so it is pretty easy to add a section of wire from the large post on the alternator to the post on the starter. For best results, cover the terminals with adhesive lined shrink tubing and protect the wire with split loom. Secure the cable to the stock alternator harness with cable ties.

If you want others to be happy, practice compassion.
If you want to be happy, practice compassion.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: