Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Aurora FMR-1 w/ Bluetooth mod on Blaupunkt Y-series radio
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Fredrok
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2014 7:17 pm    Post subject: Aurora FMR-1 w/ Bluetooth mod on Blaupunkt Y-series radio Reply with quote

Greetings all,

In one of my first posts, I mentioned I had a Blaupunkt that I wanted to mod but didn't have the heart to molest since it worked perfect. Cru62 (Chris) contacted me as he was interested in getting his hands on one that still worked. As it turns out, he had an exact non-working Y-series like I had in cosmetically great condition like mine. A deal was made and it was sent off for modification. Purists may want to stop here.

http://www.tech-retro.com/Aurora_Design/FMR.html

If you search, there are a few choices to have the mod done for you (I looked into obtaining the FMR-1 module but they'll only sell to installers) and I chose Joe's Classic Car Radio http://www.joesclassiccarradio.com/

I was told 6 week turn around and it took 7. I requested the Bluetooth option, and pre-amp outputs for possibly an amp in the future but when I received it, the outputs weren't installed so back it went. I just got it back and installed and figured I'd share it here in case anyone has considered it. Even in light of the extra time and the forgotten outputs, I'd still recommend Joe to complete it. He was very apologetic, got it turned around quickly and the communication with him throughout the process was really good.

I went with Retrosound's dual voice coil speaker and splitty bracket to mount the 2 channel in the stock location. I painted the bracket and the speaker mounting screws black so it's invisible behind the dash. It sounds pretty damn good for such a cheesy speaker and I'll either live with it or expand in the future since the option is there. I stole the idea for the screen from someone here that recommended the pet resistant door screen from HD. I also added 3M molding tape to the top of the speaker bracket as I can't see any way in hell that it would stay put with only 2 screws in the bottom. I had to adjust those tabs to conform to the dash and had to grind down the top edge of the speaker to clear the top of the dash as well (see pic).

The mod makes the radio quite a bit lighter without the old guts in it and between that and the face plate I have along with some foam tape on the front side of the radio (backside of dash) it's really secure and I opted not to fool with a rear support strap for now. I'll still fabricate one in the future next time I'm bored.

The Bluetooth pairing was quick and easy and the radio will automatically switch to it if it's on FM, etc and senses an input. It comes with a mic if you think you need to use the phone hands free but I'm just using it to stream Pandora, library, etc. It also has an aux input as well to plug any source. I'm using this antenna http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000O8SQNG/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 just laying behind the parcel tray out of sight and it works surprisingly well. The FM preset buttons work and the indicator moves with the tuning knob. My only complaint really is the dial indicator is off about 5Mhz from what the actual station is.

I was on the fence due to the cost but the deal Chris and I made took a little of the sting off and pushed me over the edge, thanks Chris!. Glad I did it as it really sounds great (considering the speaker) and the Bluetooth makes for a clean interface.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

SingleWheel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2014 6:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Uhm... WOW, that looks great and the endless possibilities is a nice addition. Very cool.
Erik G
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2014 7:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What's the ballpark cost of this?
View user's profile Send private message Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Fredrok
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2014 8:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Single, it's fun already!

Erik, my setup totaled $570 with shipping. I should note that they also somewhat "restore" the radio itself. They clean up the mechanics, paint the exterior, get lights working that should, etc.

I know retrosound makes new radios that "look" retro but you still have to pay $400 for one with Bluetooth capability, so I prefered this method.

Here are more details on the process and cost. You can also add a USB port if you'd like.
http://www.joesclassiccarradio.com/conv.html

For me, this falls under the "cry once" category of mods.....
Red Fau Veh
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2014 9:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love it, I sent them an email to see if they can make my Becker Mexico like new. Cool
1961 Swivel Seat camper, L345 grey
Touch Nicks Thing wrote:
Swivel Seat panels are for people with no friends Crying or Very sad
Erik G
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2014 11:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fredrok wrote:
Thanks Single, it's fun already!

Erik, my setup totaled $570 with shipping. I should note that they also somewhat "restore" the radio itself. They clean up the mechanics, paint the exterior, get lights working that should, etc.

I know retrosound makes new radios that "look" retro but you still have to pay $400 for one with Bluetooth capability, so I prefered this method.

Here are more details on the process and cost. You can also add a USB port if you'd like.
http://www.joesclassiccarradio.com/conv.html

For me, this falls under the "cry once" category of mods.....

thats about what I thought it would be. I'll have to look into it. I like that they can do 6v as well
View user's profile Send private message Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
BarryL Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2014 2:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's beyond righteous.

So regarding the four outputs ( http://www.tech-retro.com/Aurora_Design/FMR.html ) are they all mono in radio mode and turn to stereo when using an input?
Fredrok
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2014 2:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Barry, the FMR-1 is stereo for any input including the radio. This unit completely replaces the tuner of the stock radio so mono exists no more. Of course, you can simply run 1 channel or the + from one and - from another to "achieve" mono if you desired but then you wouldn't be dropping bank on this!

Edit: I suppose they would be mono in AM however.

One thing of note for those that may go with this. I mentioned my freqs being off a bit and after speaking with Joe, there's something to know that I wish I had before he finished it. The FMR-1 calibrates itself for the frequencies once you sweep the dial face from one end to the other. It can either tune up or tune down in one direction only. AM freqs on the face go from left to right and FM right to left so one band has to be backwards. That would be FM for me which I don't like because I never tune AM stuff anyway. (I wish he would have asked, but he did offer to change it) So if you get it done by anyone, let them know your preference for AM or FM. It's not a huge deal really, but if you're OCD you won't like it. (I'm borderline)

Last edited by Fredrok on Thu Oct 16, 2014 2:33 pm; edited 3 times in total
Fredrok
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2014 2:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Video teaser Very Happy

http://vid387.photobucket.com/albums/oo316/fredrok_photos/Radio/VID_20141015_180737_944.mp4
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: