Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Cracking drive belts
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
This page may contain links to eBay where the site receives compensation.
Merian
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2014 10:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Amazon lists 3 different Gates belts for my '86 - anybody have fitment info?
morymob
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2014 3:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

One I've had problems with & dont use anymore is Gates, made in mexico, have to adjuset too soon they stretch too much. Dayco's mostly, gators if timing belts. Last timing used fact brand/as car, if it breaks too soon eng is junk.
Terry Kay
Banned

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2014 4:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

But then on the other hand;
I've had Gates belts on my JD 1032 snowblower since 1972, and they just got beyond adjusting last year.
I know the implement drive & auger belts are not in a Vanagon, but they for sure are in a heck of a bunch heavier service situation than running a water pump & alternator.

Luck of the draw I guess---

Gates, Goodyear, Dayco, is my choice over EU issue belts.
slobrewer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2014 12:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just installed the Gates belts yesterday and what a difference! You can immediately tell that they're higher quality than the Continentals and they were even a better fit than the ones I took off. Thanks again for the recommendation.
Terry Kay
Banned

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2014 12:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As long as you keep an eye on the belts adjustment the Gates belts will do you well.

Pretty tough belt.
kamzcab86
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2017 11:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bumping this back up to update this:

AtlasShrugged wrote:
I've had good service out the Gatorback belts

A/C belt 17456
WP/Alt belt 15440
PS belt 15430

I'm currently replacing my van's alternator and, naturally, the Conti-Tech belts are cracked to s**t, requiring replacement... yet again. Mad In searching for brands out there other than Continental to consider, I found this thread and went in search of Gatorback. Well, bad-ish news: Goodyear Gatorback is now Continental Elite. Part numbers are the same as above (although Conti lists 15436 for P/S, which is a tad longer than 15430). The Elite belts are available at Summit Racing, Rock Auto, Amazon, and eBay.
2016 Golf GTI S
"Real knowledge is to know the extent of one's ignorance." - 孔子
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
AtlasShrugged
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2017 12:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Cracking drive belts Reply with quote

If your surf around Ebay you can find the old Goodyear Gatorbacks..I don't know if Continental changed the design..hope not..it was a good one.

This fellow has two of the three belts. http://stores.ebay.com/closeoutautoparts/
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
CessnaJon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2017 12:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Cracking drive belts Reply with quote

Napa has great belts, it's all I use. I think Gates makes em.
2015 Sportwagon TDI 6sp
LR-JET, Gulfstream 159
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
kamzcab86
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2017 12:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Cracking drive belts Reply with quote

AtlasShrugged wrote:
If your surf around Ebay you can find the old Goodyear Gatorbacks..I don't know if Continental changed the design..hope not..it was a good one.

Same design, which is good. Hopefully, the quality is as good.

I need the van back together ASAP so I can move it out of the garage to get my water heater replaced (died 6 months out of warranty Brick wall ). Thus, I'll be going Gates this time around, which I can get locally today.
2016 Golf GTI S
"Real knowledge is to know the extent of one's ignorance." - 孔子
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2017 3:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Cracking drive belts Reply with quote

kamzcab86 wrote:

I need the van back together ASAP so I can move it out of the garage to get my water heater replaced (died 6 months out of warranty Brick wall ). .

Kudos!

Do you know how many people say "HOT water heater"?!?!?

Well duh! A water heater does what? Makes hot water! Laughing

Dave

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
Merian
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2017 3:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Cracking drive belts Reply with quote

some water heaters merely make less chilled water, or tepid water
Gizmoman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2017 6:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Cracking drive belts Reply with quote

I agree with Terry on the Gates. I design/build machinery and am in contact with their Engineers often. They have an excellent QC department (at least for the synchronous products) and take their product quality seriously.

That said, belts are very similar to tires and age can be a big factor. Not sure how you'd know how old one was just sitting on the shelf though.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: