Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

just picked up a '70 standard
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
johndl58
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2014 1:21 pm    Post subject: just picked up a '70 standard Reply with quote

After much searching I finally found something that wasnt completely rotted, everything works on it, and needs just a tad of tlc to make decent enough for me. Runs pretty good too, just kind of stumbles when you get on it, needs to be feathered a bit to go. I did the quick adjust of the carb, and it helped a little, but still falls when gassed. Any suggestions what to address first to solve this. Its a 1500 sp I believe (H5 code on motor) with what appears to be a electronic distributor. Any advice is greatly appreciated. John.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Brian
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2014 1:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whats up with those front turn signals?

Looks like a good start off though

'69 Bug
'68 Baja Truck
'71 Bug
'68 Camper

Only losers litter
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
johndl58
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2014 1:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah. Guy put '58 fenders on it and then topped them with LED turn signals. Havent decided what Im doing yet. I was going in the baja direction but now leaning towards a class 11 look. He also decided to lower the front by removing the torsion bars. Genius.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
wcfvw69 Premium Member
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2014 2:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Take a couple pics of your engine and engine compartment. As far as your stumble, what carb is on it? It appears that you have an OO9 distributor. If you're running a Solex 34-3 carb, they are know for hesitation/stumble issues. A better distributor would be an 034 carb that's both vacuum advance and mechanical advance.

Decades of VW and VW parts restoration experience.
The Samba member since 2004.

**Now rebuilding throttle bodies for VW's and Porsche's**
**Restored German Bosch distributors for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored German Pierburg fuel pumps for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche fuel pumps or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche distributors or I can restore yours**
johndl58
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2014 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Carb is a H30/31. Ill see if I have any complete eng pics
flyboy161
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2014 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The stumble can be adjusted out. I'm running the H30/31 with an 009 distributor and have no stumble anymore. Check for vacuum leaks and fix them. Clean the carburetor. I cleaned my idle and power jets last weekend with compressed air and now it's tuned perfectly

The 1964...Diamond in the rough
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=612776

My 1958 Morocco Bug-
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=611483
johndl58
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2014 5:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been following your journey flyboy. Very fulfilling. Mine needs a bunch of tlc. I'm hoping it'll tune up OK.
As a kid(I'm 44) we were never without a bug in the driveway. My dad could swap a motor out on a gravel driveway in like 2 hours. Anyway, I picked this car up today without saying anything about and brought it to his house. He was out blowing leaves as I backed the trailer into the driveway. His face lit up as I got out of the truck, just as I knew it would.
johndl58
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2014 5:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm sure it needs plugs, wires, valves adjusted, timing checked etc.
flyboy161
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2014 6:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's awesome. I'll watch this thread closely. If you need any help along the way, just shoot me a message

My 1958 Morocco Bug-
Kansas Rob
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2014 7:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

flyboy161 wrote:
The stumble can be adjusted out. I'm running the H30/31 with an 009 distributor and have no stumble anymore.

This works for me as well.
Running this combo on boffum.
johndl58
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2014 8:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its going to be a slow go. Time being the main obstacle, oh and cash too, haha. Firstt things I want to tackle are 1.Tune up/stumble, 2.Put torsion bars back in, 3.Run it around a little to see what other systems need attention.
Longer term would be 1.Fix body work on roof, sand/coat pans and fix a couple of small rust spots on them, 2. Door and window rubber, 3.New fenders, 4.New rims/tires.

Not going to be a flyboy quality resto but will do my best to make it decent.
wcfvw69 Premium Member
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2014 8:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

johndl58 wrote:

As a kid(I'm 44) we were never without a bug in the driveway. My dad could swap a motor out on a gravel driveway in like 2 hours. Anyway, I picked this car up today without saying anything about and brought it to his house. He was out blowing leaves as I backed the trailer into the driveway. His face lit up as I got out of the truck, just as I knew it would.

That's awesome that you did that for your Dad. How many of us on The Samba have our attachments to these old ACVW's due to our fathers. I remember my Dad always wrenching on his VW and dune buggy as a kid in the early 70's. He's passed now and every time I work on my VW's, I think of him.

As others have mentioned, you can tune your engine to work with that combo. I'm running that carb and distributor on my bus. It runs well. I did buy and rebuild a 205T vacuum only distributor to install to see which I liked better.

Decades of VW and VW parts restoration experience.
The Samba member since 2004.

**Now rebuilding throttle bodies for VW's and Porsche's**
**Restored German Bosch distributors for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored German Pierburg fuel pumps for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche fuel pumps or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche distributors or I can restore yours**
flyboy161
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2014 9:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aw shucks, really though, there are lot better restores on here than mine. Haha, mine was a budget amateur restore job.

I'm sure you'll do a fine job. Make a plan ( you already have a great start), and then stick to it. Keep your eye on the prize and you'll get there.

My 1958 Morocco Bug-
Kansas Rob
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2014 9:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ha!
My dad's a Mopar guy (currently with two 70 Challengers).
He's always had a Barracuda or something on the garage.
My first car was a Dodge Demon.

I was never terribly interested.

Now I'm knee deep in VW world and everything in our world is weird to him, but I think he's really just glad I caught the bug.
andrewvwclassic
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2014 2:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is why I love standards. bet your short on cash because the awesome find. I would defintely wonder about someone with new beetle rims on his bug. lol great job.
johndl58
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2014 4:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, it didn't break the bank, and for around here, just finding something not in need of a complete rebuild is a task unto itself. Car was in Brooklyn NY owned by a guy that bought it a year ago but never registered it due to having a suspended license because of $3k in unpaid parking tickets. I don't want to stereotype, but that's more the rule than exception in "that part of town". Funny thing is, he showed me a pic of a '63 that he said he had at his sisters house in Connecticut that lookedmint except for being super slammed. Wanted to use the money from this car to finish the '63.
He still had the bill of sale for the '70 in his wallet along with the title. They looked like they had been through the wash.
johndl58
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2014 4:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So back to mechanics. I assume that the correct order to attack the stumble would be to set timing, THEN mess with/clean/rebuild carb?
flyboy161
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2014 6:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would...
1. Adjust the valves, set them to .006" on a cold engine.
2. Pull the plugs and set them to .028"
3. Use a piece of emery cloth to clean the contacts and then Re-gap the points to .016"
4. Then set the dwell angle to 50 degrees (because no matter how good you are at setting .016 on the point gap it won't be 50 degree dwell, I don't know why)
5. Get a protractor ( I printed one off of google search, a full 360 degree one) mark the pulley at 30 degrees BTDC with a file or chalk).
6. Hook up a timing light, strobe type, and set the timing to 30 degrees BTDC, with the engine revved up to about 2500 to 3000 rpm. The idea is to get the advance all in. You'll see it working as you rev the motor up. Once the advance is all in, then turn the distributor to get that 30 degrees. Lock the distributor down. And test drive. No hesitation? Then don't touch the carb.

If it still hesitates, check everything again EXCEPT the valves, then if it still hesitates. Check for vacuum leaks. Physically look at all the rubber plugs and hoses by pulling them off the manifold and carburetor. Make sure they are all intact and no cracks.
Spray the carburetor and manifold with WD-40 and listen for any changes in idle. Pay attention to the areas where gaskets/screws/ welded seams/the butterflies, etc are.

Then you can pull the idle and power jets on the right(passenger) side of the carb. Clean them with a clean paper towel and your fingers. If you have an air compressor, blow them out. Make sure they are clean. The tiny little hole on the end is very tiny. DO NOT TRY TO DRILL THEM OUT WITH ANYTHING!!!
Re install them and try it again. If that doesn't do it, we'll go from there

My 1958 Morocco Bug-
flyboy161
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2014 6:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh yeah, post a pic of the entire motor

My 1958 Morocco Bug-
johndl58
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2014 7:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will get complete engine pics tomorrow. I'm at work all day/night today. I assume I can skip the points/dwell adjustments since I have the 009 dist. And ty for the to do list/order.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: