Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Cleaning an electric AAR
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Forum Index -> Type 3 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2017 8:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Cleaning an electric AAR Reply with quote

Are you getting 12V to the AAR?
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2017 10:17 am    Post subject: Re: Cleaning an electric AAR Reply with quote

KTPhil wrote:

The first question any of us should have asked! Laughing

I have actually had several mildly hacked cars that....you turn the key on (engine not running)...and the AAR is getting power and you can hear it rotating as it warms up when all is quiet. So one would assume that its getting 12V...right?

Except that it was wired to the wrong power input...going to a relay. It was done because the original wire cracked off in the harness and effectively disappeared from view...so the PO hooked it to another power source ....one the is NOT powered when the car is running.

A further comment from my previous post...because I KNOW someone is sooner or later going to comment.

About the AAR not causing the idle to rise....when the brown Bentley states that it increases idle rpm to speed warming up.....and you notice they dont give a fast idle spec? Wink

In a car with perfectly adjusted fuel mixture and everything functioning perfectly ...the additional air from AAR...does not raise the idle speed....but yet.... actually it does. Shocked Wink

Let me explain.....in cold weather...say below 40F....without the cold start injector, extra enrichment from the CHT or extra air from an AAR....the contraction of the metal in the case and cylinders from the cold and the thickening of the oil....will cause so much drag that unless you put your foot on the gas pedal to bring the revs up....the car will either stall or nearly stall and run very rough.

So without these cold weather enrichment tools listed above....your engine cannot maintain idle speed on its own when its cold.

In properly tuned D-jet engine....in cold weather below 40F (give or take).....the AAR adds just enough air to the extra enrichment from TS-2 and cold start injector....to maintain STANDARD idle speed or sometimes just a little above....but not a high speed idle like a crab choke.

So in effect....without the AAR, TS-2 enrichment and cold start valve....your natural idle speed would likely be 200-300 rpm. Not good for rings or oil pressure.

The extra air from the AAR...also causes extra enrichment from the MPS...and in effect RAISES your idle up to its normal rpm of 800-900.

In cases of very hot climate....example Dallas Texas and Oklahoma city....where it does not drop below 95-100F until about midnight....and the car, engine, oil and metal are all about 80-85F in the morning.....and the engine does not need much enrichment....BUT...at 85F the AAR is still about 75% or more wide open.....now giving far more inlet air than needed....the starting idle rpm can rise upwards to 1000 and as much as 1100.

But...with 85F already part of the temperature of the AAR....this faster than normal idle only lasts about 2 minutes....if that.

When everything is PERFECTLY adjusted....the AAR should for the most part produce stable and normal idle speed. Ray
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
blues90
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2017 10:34 am    Post subject: Re: Cleaning an electric AAR Reply with quote

Ray :
before this cold engine stall began and when I would adjust the hot idle I would have the AAR hose off at the oil bath and could feel the vacuum so it was open at this point the idle was about 300 RPM faster reading my tach I have on the dash I would keep checking to see it the AAR was closing and felt less and less vacuum . When it was closed about 8 minutes (never timed it) I would then set the idle speed on the IAD screw.

As it is now when I start cold engine always in park auto trans the RPM is 900 at that point if I place it in reverse it will stall because the idle drops below 900 to about 600 . If I start it and hold the gas pedal down to keep the idle above 900 and wait a minute then the cold idle goes up to 1300 RPM and holds while in park then when I place it in drive the idle is 900 RPM and it does not stall . I back out of the garage get back in and in park it's holding at 1300 RPM then place it reverse it's back to 900 RPM . Before this if I backed out and left it in park and let it run it took about 5 to 8 minutes for the idle to drop to the hot 900 RPM .

It never ever stalls when I'm sitting at a light in drive or anytime I shut the car down and restart in after a 1 mile drive or a 10 mile drive.
As you know once you place the trans in drive that load will drop the RPM a bit so hot in park it's 1000 RPM and in drive it's 900 RPM .

I'll go out there today and see if I have any vacuum cold on the AAR to oil bath hose . I realize with the AAR open it's extra air in the IAD past the throttle valve because at idle throttle is closed similar to the idle adjust screw you are just allowing air to bypass the throttle valve only that's a manual adjustment. I went out and didn't start the engine yet was able to draw air through the AAR hose at the oil bath and yes It has 12 volts on the AAR coil . Also I removed the hose at the AAR and did not see one bit of oil in that port it was still clean silver in color.

Here's what gets confusing , you say the extra air from the AAR is not supposed to increase the idle yet any air allowed past the closed throttle valve is just like slightly opening the throttle valve will increase the RPM . I don't mean to say it will raise the idle like a carb choke fast idle cam which is not the same thing .
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2017 1:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Cleaning an electric AAR Reply with quote

blues90 wrote:
Ray :
before this cold engine stall began and when I would adjust the hot idle I would have the AAR hose off at the oil bath and could feel the vacuum so it was open at this point the idle was about 300 RPM faster reading my tach I have on the dash I would keep checking to see it the AAR was closing and felt less and less vacuum . When it was closed about 8 minutes (never timed it) I would then set the idle speed on the IAD screw.

As it is now when I start cold engine always in park auto trans the RPM is 900 at that point if I place it in reverse it will stall because the idle drops below 900 to about 600 . If I start it and hold the gas pedal down to keep the idle above 900 and wait a minute then the cold idle goes up to 1300 RPM and holds while in park then when I place it in drive the idle is 900 RPM and it does not stall . I back out of the garage get back in and in park it's holding at 1300 RPM then place it reverse it's back to 900 RPM . Before this if I backed out and left it in park and let it run it took about 5 to 8 minutes for the idle to drop to the hot 900 RPM .

It never ever stalls when I'm sitting at a light in drive or anytime I shut the car down and restart in after a 1 mile drive or a 10 mile drive.
As you know once you place the trans in drive that load will drop the RPM a bit so hot in park it's 1000 RPM and in drive it's 900 RPM .

I'll go out there today and see if I have any vacuum cold on the AAR to oil bath hose . I realize with the AAR open it's extra air in the IAD past the throttle valve because at idle throttle is closed similar to the idle adjust screw you are just allowing air to bypass the throttle valve only that's a manual adjustment. I went out and didn't start the engine yet was able to draw air through the AAR hose at the oil bath and yes It has 12 volts on the AAR coil . Also I removed the hose at the AAR and did not see one bit of oil in that port it was still clean silver in color.

Here's what gets confusing , you say the extra air from the AAR is not supposed to increase the idle yet any air allowed past the closed throttle valve is just like slightly opening the throttle valve will increase the RPM . I don't mean to say it will raise the idle like a carb choke fast idle cam which is not the same thing .

No...admitting SMALL amounts of air past the closed throttle...IS NOT just like opening the throttle. It IS read by the MPS as a throttle opening....an extremely FINE...SMALL throttle opening.....which you are not very capable of doing with your foot, the cable and the throttle plate.

The MPS is sensitive enough to see/measure....very, very small variances in vacuum.....but in the case of start up enrichment....the added input from the MPS is actually fairly small in the total volume of enrichment. Most of the extra fuel is from the TS-2 input ...which can add about 10-15% enrichment across the board....and at colder levels its from the cold start valve spray.

To re-state:
No...admitting SMALL amounts of air past the closed throttle...IS NOT just like opening the throttle.

Its not...because if you happen to hook an accurate vacuum gauge to the plenum near where the MPS vacuum line is...you will find that the combined vacuum loss of both the idle screw and that tiny slot in the AAR valve.....still leaves you with an idle vacuum that is at least 10-12 hg or higher.

And....if you tried to make this minute of adjustment by using a "valve" as crude and large as the throttle plate....it dumps vacuum to much lower levels instantly....and that WILL cause the MPS to make a big enrichment move.

The object here is to keep a specific fuel air ratio...right? So when the TS-2 ....which enriches for several minutes during warm up.......and the cold start injector ..which operates for only a very short time during start up.....increase the fuel mixture....we do not need a LOT of air to bring the AFR into line....we just need a little bit.

The idle screw is a fine tuning vacuum bypass for running
The AAR is a fine tuning vacuum bypass for starting when cold.

My point is....that under the right ambient temp conditions (hot)....the AAR WILL increase startup idle slightly....but otherwise it does not.

On engines that it does increase the idle a lot when cold....its because you are usually already getting fuel and air from other unplanned sources (vacuum leaks, fuel pressure, throttle not closing all the way, mis-adjustment of fuel baseline at MPS or from TS-1 and TS-2 being out of range and not matching the curve for ambient temperature).

You have to remember that even though the AAR is a far less crude adjustment than trying to feather the throttle pate.....its a crude device. The size of the slot and the ratio of turn/twist per degree of the bi-metallic spring is not hugely accurate...and not keyed by any logic to the ECU or the TS-1 or TS-2 (that would require computing power and an 02 sensor)......which is precisely why it has an adjusting screw on it.

And....every bi-metal coil known to man fatigues with heat cycling and age. They get weak. With age...adjusting the bi-metal coil...will allow it to close more firmly...but also causes the "open" starting point to be changed...so it may not open as much (the most common problem).

Adjusting to try to get it to open all the way...will then cause it to not close all the way or close too slowly. Ray
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2017 1:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Cleaning an electric AAR Reply with quote

raygreenwood wrote:
KTPhil wrote:
The first question any of us should have asked! Laughing

I asked because that wire is not connected on a manual shift car, of course. It is clipped at BOTH ends. So someone did the right thing and wired it to the fusebox when they put this engine in the car. (I don't know which fuse, though, and I don't have my stock automatic any more).
blues90
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2017 4:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Cleaning an electric AAR Reply with quote

Ray is was comparing opening the throttle because that what I had to do to keep the cold engine from stalling. I realize opening the throttle is different yet that's what I needed to do of it stalled.

I checked the AAR this morning and could draw air through it engine off just sucking on the hose. I've been through this system several times since 2009 and never found a vacuum leak and don't recall what the idle speed was when I got the car in 85 when all the parts were still available . I changed all the hoses and gaskets because most were dried out and old . All I know is the voltage regulator was rusted and stuck so when the voltage running was low it wouldn't idle and it was smoke and pop giving it gas then it would suddenly work and all was fine well before I changed all the hoses ext.
I can't find any vacuum leaks and changed and checked everything that could leak in 2009 and went over it all again in 2012 every single wire and ECU connections and temp sensors and found nothing.

I usually only drive it twice a week short trips yet last tuesday I drove a 20 mile round trip in hot weather and just maybe that somehow freed the AAR up because now I can suck on the AAR line at the oil bath and it's open yet I have not started it since. Once it's running it runs fine and starts right up yet problem is here everything is stop and go sitting traffic with that all the idling and starting I'm running mostly off the battery when you sit there with a gen it's down to battery voltage so I need to keep it on a 2 amp charger on a 3 hour timer setting . The only time the battery gets fully charged is freeway driving which I have not done but once in 2 years. The temp sensors seem to be within range hot and cold the pressure sensor is NOS given to me with the proper Bosch number which I put on 2 years ago .

All I know at this point is it didn't stall when started cold a few months ago so my attempt was to hold the throttle open so the RPM matched what it did before this all happened then it does not stall . Had an interstate battery in it since OCT 2015 and when i took it out to check the level found it leaked got a replacement and for some odd reason no matter how much it's charged on 2 amp setting after it sets for 24 hours it's 12.62 volts the other one was 12.74 and held and I have 5mA draw so who knows what's up with that. The charging system works as if should . Since 2011 suddenly I need to key on and off 6 to 7 times to get the fuel pressure up or it won't start. Never had to do that before , I'm told it's hot soak and fuel goes back to through the pump and I have vapor only in the lines , what changed who knows . I've read many posts on adding a switch to prime the system from years ago I never needed to prime any thing just turn the key up and running. The voltmeter on the dash that still works never showed below 14.2 volts even at idle before now it does and only has 14.2 volts around 1300 RPM and above. Yet the gen runs at 2.3 times the speed of the engine RPM . Last time I went around and tightened every single FI connector pulled them out of the plug and tightened them didn't change a thing. Iv'e checked every single wire from each connector to the ECU plug all were fine and even tightened those just in case. The TS is adjusted proper the throttle does not stick it's clean also . You can't even get new head temp sensors if I needed one. Oil temp never gets above 185 F on the hottest day. Doesn't burn oil yet leaks a bit. I may have 35 K on it since I rebuilt the engine in 97 . The gas here is complete crap with their so called summer blend what ever that is and it runs worse on their summer blend. I sit here at close to 69 years old on a fixed income so I'm just happy the damn thing keeps running.
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2017 12:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Cleaning an electric AAR Reply with quote

If you are having cuel vapor kr priming issues.....that is a fuel pressure regulator issue....and possibly a pump issue.

This goes back to basic fuel mixture. Check your fuel pressure and leakdown speed after shutdown.

Again.....check basic function of the AAR. Ic its open when its cold....yes itscpossible it may be gummed up and not opening all the way.
But if its closing all the way after achandful of minites snd you are still having any issues at all.....its not AAR related. Ray
blues90
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2017 7:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Cleaning an electric AAR Reply with quote

Ray I started it today and put it in reverse and it didn't stall . After I backed out of the garage the idle went up to 1300 RPM and soon dropped to 900 .

Last time I checked the fuel pump pressure was 6 months ago and it was 30 PSI and steady and at least 10 hours later it still had 29 PSI . I used the line from the cold start valve since I don't use the cold state at all here it never get cold enough and the port on the left last time I removed the screw the copper gasket was crap I had a spare and just don't want to rick a leak there.

It had the original fuel pressure reg until 1999 and I replaced it because I was told by a Porsche tech that worked there and was having issues passing smog maybe I should replace it didn't change a thing and it still functions no leaks and I can adjust it with no issues.

I was told the fuel pump can fail in two ways and the check valve is really not a check valve . Either the valve fails and the pump won't pump or it fails and won't hold pressure in the ring . The problem you're experiencing is due to the gas boiling after
shutdown, which forces all the gas back thru the pump, leaving the
lines filled with vapor rather than fuel. The reason it flows
backwards is that it takes 30 psi to flow forwards but only 20 psi to
flow backwards. (The valve in the pump isn't really a true check
valve; it allows reverse flow above 20 psi.)

All I know is I never had this problem before and it seems now the fix is to add a switch to prime the ring instead of turning the key 7 to 9 times. some time in 2011 this started to happen . To me it seems like it is a true check valve and should at least hold pressure at least enough to allow me to start the car after it sits for at least a few days .

I used to drive it almost everyday a 7 mile trip to work at high temps and it sat for sometimes 14 hours and always fired right up even if it sat the weekend 48 hours after a hot weather drive in a hot garage i'd turn the key once and it was running. Once it starts I can dive it 1 mile to 10 miles and let it sit for a few hours and it fires right up yet if it let it sit a day after a hot drive I need to cycle the key at least 5 times . In 1991 we drove to Vegas it was 118 F it sat for three days and fired right up.

I looked through the F--ing Bentley yet it says nothing about how long the pump should hold pressure and nothing at all about how the pump works have to read it again maybe I missed something. If the pump is crap then I will go with a 2 port like many do since a new one three port is not around and if so it costs more than I have. One would think there must be some sort of check valve that does not allow the pressure to bleed off back to the pump.
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2017 9:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Cleaning an electric AAR Reply with quote

Bluntly....whiever told you all lf that information about fuel flow, direction and fuel boiling......is absolutely full of shit.

Almost all liquids.....when under pressure.....have a higher boiling point. It is for instance why high pressure steam temp is far higher than the 212° boiling point of water.

The main valve in later pumps is a relief valve......but there is a low pressure ball check valve in the output port. Its why the pressure drops slightly after shut down. Between that and the roller cells on the pump end....and the regulator on the top end.......its common to drop to 23 psi on shut down......and not drop below about 13-15 psi within 24 houra.

30 pwi versus 20 psi downstream is pure BS.

You need to do a volume AT PRESSURE test.....and then a pressure leak down test. That.....along with watching fuel pressure stability on a REAL gauge.....will tell you everything about the pump.

With the pump wired direct to 12v and engine off....1 lpm....minimum .7tpm when running...while maintaining 28 psi....is what is required. If it cannot do that your pump is worn out.
If an accurate fuel gauge does not show a constant MAXIMUM flucuation of +/- 1 psi....which is a 2 psi spread.....if the gauge rattles more than that at idle....your fegulator or pump needs work.

There.....you have specs. The Bentley is missing so much real world/old car information as to be nearly worthless to work on D-jet.

Get these things straight and checked. What you replaced or checked a year ago.....means nothing until you check that they have not changed. Ray
blues90
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2017 11:17 am    Post subject: Re: Cleaning an electric AAR Reply with quote

I have a fuel/water pressure gauge that goes to 80 PSI and can be calibrated to zero . Same gauge I have always used . If I connect it to my air compressor it does not fluctuate like the other gauges do since piston type compressors are not steady . This gauge has always read dead on . I've tried other pressure gauge's on my car and see no fluctuation on this car.

The Pump is old yet even with the gauge on it driving I see no issues with pressure . From what I can tell is the check valve in the pump is just not holding pressure as it should. This is the first thing I will check just need to get the pressure up and check the gauge . If it's the check valve because I have no leaks then I can't fix that.

I understand about the volume and measuring it yet timing and how much it pumps is beyond my reach right now . I can tell you when I changed the fuel lines I had the gauge on the engine and forget to connect the return at the Y fitting I saw 28 PSI and smelled fuel had a pan under the pump area to catch the fuel when I changed the line to the tank filter to tank line and it almost filled that 2 gallon pan real quick. Not an accurate test to be sure.

I've cut the fuel line that feeds the cold start valve since I never need that and connect my fuel gauge there . The nipple with the small screw I used to use yet that washer last time was leaking and I had a spare old one just don't want to risk it again. I don't think it makes any difference where as long as it's before the regulator since I got the same reading at either one.

Odd part about that last time I checked the pressure about 6 months ago and pulled the bolt with clamp on that line which connects to the same 4 port metal line to the right side injectors it was full of fuel that it ran out so I doubt the fuel is vapor more likely the pumps check valve . Wish I had a photo of that area of the pump.
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2017 8:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Cleaning an electric AAR Reply with quote

blues90 wrote:
I have a fuel/water pressure gauge that goes to 80 PSI and can be calibrated to zero . Same gauge I have always used . If I connect it to my air compressor it does not fluctuate like the other gauges do since piston type compressors are not steady . This gauge has always read dead on . I've tried other pressure gauge's on my car and see no fluctuation on this car.

The Pump is old yet even with the gauge on it driving I see no issues with pressure . From what I can tell is the check valve in the pump is just not holding pressure as it should. This is the first thing I will check just need to get the pressure up and check the gauge . If it's the check valve because I have no leaks then I can't fix that.

I understand about the volume and measuring it yet timing and how much it pumps is beyond my reach right now . I can tell you when I changed the fuel lines I had the gauge on the engine and forget to connect the return at the Y fitting I saw 28 PSI and smelled fuel had a pan under the pump area to catch the fuel when I changed the line to the tank filter to tank line and it almost filled that 2 gallon pan real quick. Not an accurate test to be sure.

I've cut the fuel line that feeds the cold start valve since I never need that and connect my fuel gauge there . The nipple with the small screw I used to use yet that washer last time was leaking and I had a spare old one just don't want to risk it again. I don't think it makes any difference where as long as it's before the regulator since I got the same reading at either one.

Odd part about that last time I checked the pressure about 6 months ago and pulled the bolt with clamp on that line which connects to the same 4 port metal line to the right side injectors it was full of fuel that it ran out so I doubt the fuel is vapor more likely the pumps check valve . Wish I had a photo of that area of the pump.

Your gauge is suspect for low accuracy.
First....an 80 psi range is too high. Unless its a class A or better gauge....and virtually no water pressure gauges are even rated....and most that are ....are a class B at best.....its only accurate at a portion of the scale.

The other gauges you tried.....that were sensitive enough to show you the true oscillations of the air compressor piston causing the air to fluctuate.....were actually more sensitive.

You are not looking to get a steady reading by buying a damped gauge. You want the gauge to show you the TRUE pressure fluctuation of the fuel pressure.....if there is any....because excessive fluctuation is what indicates poor volume supply at pressure. The pressure fluctuation that causes the needle to rattle....comes from two cycles
1. The injectors opening to spray causing a pressure drop in the fuel ring main
2. The rotor in the pump releasing a burst of pressurized fuel into the fuel line.

See.....even a worn out pump....can feed 1 liter per minute or even much more....with no load....meaning unrestrained.....meaning no fuel pressure regulator attached...and no injectors ribbing volume or pressure......just the pump pumping from one container to another. Thats not a correct test.

The minimum test....is to hook the pump up and set the regulatot to exact pressure...engine off.....and measure what comes out of the regulator.return line. It should be 1 liter per minute or better.

The true test is to have the engine running at fast idle.....with injectors drawing fuel....and measure what comes out of the return line.....it should be close to 1 lpm.......AND......at the same time....watch the gauge needle. If its fluctuating more than +/- 1 psi....meaning a spread of 2 psi......it means the pump may be hsging a harf time replacing the volume being drawn by the injectors.....which means its hard to keep pressure steady.

When you see this...reach over snd blip the throttle....rev it up. The pressure gauge needle should not dip more than an additional 1 psi.....and should return to steady reading.....instantly.

If it drops 2-3 psi and returns but is still rattling while you are revving....the pump or regulator are not keeping up. Ray
blues90
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2017 10:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Cleaning an electric AAR Reply with quote

I can pinch off the line before the reg I have the proper clamps to pinch off fuel lines 4 of them with the gauge I can see after key on/off to get pressure see how long it holds if check valve is in pressure/vol then I'll know . if not it's the reg I can test the relief or bypass valve by pinching off to stop the flow tells me if that works cause it may stress it and cause more harm than good since it's never been blocked .

If I had the funds I would get a 2 port like others here and a new reg nothing else leaks . if it were an injector then on cold start sitting with fuel in one or two cylinders it would miss with the extra fuel at least smoke a bit or smell the rich at the exhaust which none happen I realize it does not take much of a leak to really drop pressure yet there would be some indication if any injector was leaking enough to drop the pressure. Or smell fuel in the oil.

As long as the cold start issue does not get worse than it is now forcing me to replace something I can get a reg and pump when I can afford them then go from there
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2017 7:44 am    Post subject: Re: Cleaning an electric AAR Reply with quote

blues90 wrote:
I can pinch off the line before the reg I have the proper clamps to pinch off fuel lines 4 of them with the gauge I can see after key on/off to get pressure see how long it holds if check valve is in pressure/vol then I'll know . if not it's the reg I can test the relief or bypass valve by pinching off to stop the flow tells me if that works cause it may stress it and cause more harm than good since it's never been blocked .

If I had the funds I would get a 2 port like others here and a new reg nothing else leaks . if it were an injector then on cold start sitting with fuel in one or two cylinders it would miss with the extra fuel at least smoke a bit or smell the rich at the exhaust which none happen I realize it does not take much of a leak to really drop pressure yet there would be some indication if any injector was leaking enough to drop the pressure. Or smell fuel in the oil.

As long as the cold start issue does not get worse than it is now forcing me to replace something I can get a reg and pump when I can afford them then go from there

A handful of items. You are on the right track for testing.....even if it shows nothing. Knowing something is right versus assuming it is right is information.

This method works well.
First pull all four iniectors out and place the tips on paper towels.

Crimp off the fuel supply line BEFORE the regulator....then crimp off the supply between the tank and the filter so the pump still has a little volume to draw from. Blip the key 2-3 times.....no more than that.
You will hear the pump load up as it tries to draw fuel. But the line should be pressurized to about 23 psi or higher.

In this configuration.....the only way fuel pressure can leakdown.....is backwards through the pump relief valve.....or out the injector tips. Make a note of time and pressure. Then keep an eye on the injector tips. Are any of them leaking and how much?

As the book says....a drip forming every now and then.....maybe every 10-15 minutes on an iniector tip is about all that is allowed. This will still allow pressure to leak down.....and is hard on the injectors because the tips stay wet and are prone to rust this way.....and it puts excessive fuel in the engine....BUT.....MAKE NOTE.....as the pressure slowly drops from injector leakage.....usually at some point as the pressure drops a bit.....some injectors that aare leaking will stop leaking.
If the injectors quit dripping before the pressure leaks down below about 12-15 psi.....it shows they have weak spring pressure....which means you cannot run higher pressures safely so the pressure setting needs to be at exactly 28 psi for running.....and in this condition you can continue to use them.

But....if later testing reveals a poor spray pattern on the leaking iniector.....it needs to be sent out for cleaning and mapping. If it cannot be corrected by cleaning....replace the iniector.

The other item you are looking for during this test.....is if any of the injectors are not leaking nore than an occasional drip.....but the pressure falls off quickly.....it means the relief valve in the pump is leaking. It also obviously means the upstream check valve in the pump is leaking.
On that last note.....I need to look in my stash of old pumps. I know the original early type 3 and 4 D-jet pumps.....the style with the Banjo connection on the outlet fitting that had the check valve, breather valve and relief valve all in one.....did have a line pressure check valve.....I cannot remember if the later pump has one. I will check.

The next test is to remove the clamp near the regulator in the loop. Remove the supply side clamp and blip the key about 4-5 times to get fuel back in the filter and chase out any air. You will hear any air exiting back to the tank. Then clamp the supply side again AND the return line from the pump. Blip the key 1-2 more times to bring fuel pressure up and watch the gauge.

Just blipping the pump will usually not bring the fuel pressure any higher than about 18-23 psi. The higher the better.....but thats about it.

There is usually enough internal leakage due to spring unseating pressures in the regulator, line flex and any leakback at the pump.....that the second you quit blipping the key....just like turning off the engine....the fuel pressure usually drops to about 23-25 psi immediately. That's normal without constant running of the pump......but what you are looking for is that with the inlet and return to the pump clamped off.....the fuel pressure being held by the regulator should NOT drop below a bare minimum of about 18 psi instantly.

A better rating of the fuel pressure regulator.....and a brand new one typically shows this reading.....would be to drop to about 23 psi instantly after shut off.

The key is that it should not drop pressure below 15-18 psi for at least an hour. If it does....the regulator is leaking excessively. It will still run like this.
Overnight.....it should not drop below an absolute bottom line of about 10 psi. Usually when it hits about 10-13 psi......if its just weak spring pressure in the regulator.... and you have no leakage at iniectors or pump.....the line pressure can sit for days or longer at this pressure.

This is perfect....because at 10 psi....a single hlip of the key and fuel pump buzz on start up...will usually bump pressure to 20-23 psi....so starting is smooth.

But if the line pressure drops to 0 either in just a few hours or overnight.....the metering plate in the regulator is either rusted or the plating has eroded from harmonic chattering.

By the way....I forgot in my last post....that there are actually three harmonics.
1. The pump pressurization and out put cycle
2. The injector opening pressure drop cycle
3. The opening and closing cycle of the metering plate in the regulator.

EDIT: Not to skew this thread into "fuel pump" territory....but it is relevant. You need to get your fuel pump and baseline fuel mixture under control....before assuming that an otherwise functional AAR is the culprit. And since I just went through the testing....a quick refresher on whats inside the pump.

Above I could not remember if the late model D-jet pumps had pressure side check valves...mainly because I had not seriously been into dissecting and refurbishing these since about 1999. I had to open one up before I left the house.

They do have a check valve...but not a "normal" check valve. I am sure that Jim Adney can attest to whats inside as he rebuilds them and I would bet he has posted all of this before.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

The early pump. You can clearly see that the whole "valve" assembly is held onto the pump in a "banjo" fitting style sandwich. From long ago experience...leaking check valves on this model are a little easier to fix...but harder to the pump resealed and are constructed no less precisely but a little more crudly.

This is the roller rotor from a late pump.

This is the pressure cell inside of the outer cap that has the fluid ports on it. The rollers are in their exact position. In this picture the inlet/suction nipple would be on the left side, the pressure nipple in the center and the relief valve on the right.

That dark slot that the yellow arrow is pointing to on the left is the inlet slot from the filter. So the roller cells can pull fuel from that slot about two cells at a time for about 110* or rotation.
They compress over to the dark slot on the right...which goes to the hollow area underneath this cell and feed either past the "check" valve and into the fuel pressure line....or when pressure goes too high (IIRC somewhere around 70+ psi)...they trigger the relief valve (dotted red line and green dotted arrow)...and flow to the return line to the fuel tank.

The divot in the center with the small groove is where some fuel pressure bleeds off to flow down the center of the keyhole slot in the rotor...to flow into the motor cavity to cool the armature. There is a small return hole on teh pump body side.

I cannot recall which direction the cooling fuel flows...down the center and out the edge or vica versa.

This is the culprit for possible fuel pump leak down. Unlike the early pump with separate steel ball check valves (which can have their own issues)...the later pumps use a combination "spool valve".

Ingenious and well designed and made....and simpler.... But........

On the left you have a Viton rubber sealing "ball" that is the check valve for both building pressure on the fuel main line by preventing back pressure across the roller cell chamber....and its also the check valve to prevent bleed down after the engine is shut off.

When normal roller cell pressure moves the spool to the right just a bit....you get flow into the fuel ring main. When pressure increases to excessive levels...the spool valve moves a little further to the right and fuel enters the bypass flow groove.....and through the intersecting flat spot milled on the spool...flows into the relief valve groove and into the return line.

The problems that happen with this spool valve:

1. The rubber seal ball part of the check valve goes bad....and while it does not always vent to the return line...it allows fuel back pressure to affect the roller cell and pump is very inefficient and runs hot with low volume.

These pumps will also leak down after shut down because the pressure can backflow through the roller cell to the inlet side.

2. Because of weak spring with age or loose outer cap...the pressure required to cause the spool valve to bypass is too low...so it vents to the return line. Chronic low pressure and volume and large pressure fluctuations. Pump has low load so it runs cool.

3. Junk, rust or varnish can cause the movement of the spool valve to be poor...so it may not vent easily when it needs to or the spool valve can get stuck in relief position or the spool valve becomes "notchy"..pops back and forth on sticky spots and you get large pressure spikes.

Ray
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2017 2:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Cleaning an electric AAR Reply with quote

...or just put a $20 mechanical AAR on it, after cleaning and adjusting it:

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2002307
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2017 3:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Cleaning an electric AAR Reply with quote

KTPhil wrote:
...or just put a $20 mechanical AAR on it, after cleaning and adjusting it:

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2002307

Sure....but....in this case the same issues are involved.

From the sound of what he has posted.....there is nothing wrong with the ARR (closes all the way sfter a few minutes).....his running issue other components....fuel pressure etc.

The mechanical AAR''s.....in my experience....are junk when they get old. Yeah...they work....but..as the spring ages and gets weak....you have to adjust them just like the electric one.
And when you adjust them to make sure there is enough spriny pressure to close all the way....it makes it not open as far.

On the electric one.....if you can get it open to adjust it.....you do not have quite this problem because the electric ones get much hotter. After adjusting they are not as slow to warm up and close further so you do not have to adjust as far when the spring gets weak.

I actually love the mechanical design and its plumbing and fit....the ability to strip and clean....but its performance when old is poor.

I had type 4s before I had type 3's. All type 4 had the electric AAR. After years of driving all manual transmission type 3's.....I learned to hate the mechanical AAR's function.

After years of screwing around with the electric version in this thread.....burned coils, sticky barrel valves, broken off positive wires etc.....I just went to the modern version of AAR used on type 4 bus engines and water cooled cars. Much better function.

I like the fit of the type 3/4 electric unit on my engine. I am very close to modifying one to be a cable and lever operated version with a nice clamp holding the top on. Ray
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2017 3:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Cleaning an electric AAR Reply with quote

Or if you want to get really tricky, maybe incorporate an rpm-sensing circuit, plus a motor driver, and a stepper motor, and achieve true idle speed control, cold or warm! Probably not worth the effort other than as an engineering challenge, but it could be made very small, perhaps hidden in an electric AAR housing!

Okay, back to reality...

Last edited by KTPhil on Tue Aug 08, 2017 4:27 pm; edited 1 time in total
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2017 4:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Cleaning an electric AAR Reply with quote

KTPhil wrote:
Or if you want to get really tricky, maybe incorporate an rpm-sensing circuit, plus a motor driver, and a stepper motor, and achieve true idle speed control, cold or warm! Probably not worth the effort other than as en engineering challenge, but it would be made very small, perhaps hidden in an electric AAR housing!

Okay, back to reality...

Damn!....what ...did you hack my account or something? Laughing

Over the years I have had these same conversations (and some related ones but with regard to the type 4 cooling flap bellows).....with other people like Piledriver......about using a stepping motor to replace the guts.

Because of this thread bringing it all up again.....I was just shopping small steppers yesterday. The problem is torque and control. It can definatelt work. The cost would likely be double.

More precisely I was looking at rotary solenoids. In their simplest forms....you have a switch and its open or closed. They are small....somewhat....and can be put in the original pot.
In the slightly more complex form.....they may be off or on....but spring loaded....and when you apply power....say with a temperature switch as the car warms up....it snaps closed. You turn off the car or temp goes back down to below the threshold for the temp switch....and it snaps open.

The problem is that there is no adjustment in between. Ray
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2017 4:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Cleaning an electric AAR Reply with quote

Of course, the natural extension of this has already been done in a modern digital FI system that many have fitted (Megasquirt comes to mind, though I've not done this). As the MPS/TPS supply runs its life, we may be forced into this eventually, due to the collective expense of re-engineering the original parts. Might not be an altogether bad thing, since it would give us spark, rpm, mixture control that can be mapped and tailored to many more variations. Some day, probably after I'm gone. Or maybe they will all be electric, but that's in another thread...
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2017 5:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Cleaning an electric AAR Reply with quote

KTPhil wrote:
Of course, the natural extension of this has already been done in a modern digital FI system that many have fitted (Megasquirt comes to mind, though I've not done this). As the MPS/TPS supply runs its life, we may be forced into this eventually, due to the collective expense of re-engineering the original parts. Might not be an altogether bad thing, since it would give us spark, rpm, mixture control that can be mapped and tailored to many more variations. Some day, probably after I'm gone. Or maybe they will all be electric, but that's in another thread...

On the other hand.....I could rewind an MPS coil....diaphrams are no biggy. The aneroid chamber.....hmmmm Ray
blues90
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2017 1:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Cleaning an electric AAR Reply with quote

Today I connected the fuel pressure gauge I use the line that was connected to the cold start valve. I was told last time I set the pressure to bump it to 32 PSI because of the ethanol so I set it back to 28 . First thing I did was key on/off to prime the system and the gauge was 22 PSI then I started the engine and set the pressure to 28PSI maybe add 1 PSI then shut it down . I dropped to 22 PSI then after a few minutes it rose to 24 then26 then just under 28 . I watched then 10 minutes after this happened it was back down to 26 . I've never seen this before. The engine was only run twice for maybe 5 minutes the engine was not hot easy to touch anything yet I did notice the fuel line to the gauge was warm and it was not touching the engine at all.

I can't imagine it's the gauge since it read 22 PSI priming and rose and fell when adjusting the regulator and held steady. Same gauge I used last time and it never did this. I'm going to let it sit and see how far it drops later in the day. I started at 12:30 this afternoon so maybe 5 or 6 PM I'll check.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Type 3 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: